• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday October 14, 2016

24 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Voltaire is Pandora.  Specifically a breakaway piece of her psyche that has assumed its own body and identity.   Or even that Voltaire is most of Pandora and the part we see talking to Sarah is the part of her that's still...if not sane, but "nice" in outlook..

The idea is a physical separation between benign Panadora and nihilistic Pandora has occurred, perhaps sometime within the run of the comic.  Nihilistic Pandora has renamed herself "Voltaire" and appears masculine when manifesting on the physical plane.

I see you don't apply occam's razor to everything :)

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Another possibility though, is Pandora and Voltaire were companions when they were younger, much like Helena and Demetrius, but Pandora and Voltaire had a falling out, maybe they disagreed on how they should interact with mortals, maybe Voltaire had be showing contempt for the rules that Immortals set for themselves for a long time. Of course that would mean that Voltaire is potentially as old as Pandora if he decided to forgo resetting as well.

That would require them having the falling out long before Pandora met Blaike. Also, Jerry doesn't seem to have companion either.

I don't see why would this be required. Voltaire can be pissed on Pandora for centuries and still be centuries "younger".

46 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Voltaire is Pandora.  Specifically a breakaway piece of her psyche that has assumed its own body and identity.   Or even that Voltaire is most of Pandora and the part we see talking to Sarah is the part of her that's still...if not sane, but "nice" in outlook..

AHHHHHH

He's a NEW CHARACTER!!!!!Eleven!!!!!

Not Every Character Has to Be A Known Character.

Conservation of Detail is a GUIDELINE Not hand down on high ON STONE TABLES TABLETS!!!!

Pant Pant Pant.

Sorry, my berserk button got pushed.

Just now, hkmaly said:

That would require them having the falling out long before Pandora met Blaike. Also, Jerry doesn't seem to have companion either.

I don't see why would this be required. Voltaire can be pissed on Pandora for centuries and still be centuries "younger".

Yeah it would place Pandora and Voltaire being companions within Pandora's first 150 years, and I didn't claim that all Immortals paired off, just saying that Helena and Demetrius might not be the only ones that did.

It is also possible that Voltaire has reset a couple times since the fallout but carried the knowledge of it with him each time.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Conservation of Detail is a GUIDELINE Not hand down on high ON STONE TABLES!!!!

Wow, that's impressive, Moses was given slabs of rock, Writers were given actual stone furniture. :D 

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Wow, that's impressive, Moses was given slabs of rock, Writers were given actual stone furniture. :D 

Have I mentioned I have trouble with words that are correctly spelled, but not the right word?  My normal fail is form or from, but I have noticed the table/tablet problem the more I deal with hand held computers that are not also phones.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I see you don't apply occam's razor to everything :)

Not to my speculation, not.  I mostly use it as an extrapolation tool.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I have harder time with speculation that doesn't spring from a basis in continuity.  We can reasonably deduce that Voltaire knows Pandora is around.  If he marked Dex, we cna further assume he knows the style with which she marks people and conclude that he was attempting to frame her for Dex.  There's no reason to imagine any long history between them until there's evidence for it.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

AHHHHHH

Conservation of Detail is a GUIDELINE Not hand down on high ON STONE TABLES!!!!

Pant Pant Pant.

At least give me points for suggesting a multiple personality complex so profound it produces multiple physical bodies....  :)

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

At least give me points for suggesting a multiple personality complex so profound it produces multiple physical bodies....

OK, that's sorta cool, but still...

Stepping Away From The Button...

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I have harder time with speculation that doesn't spring from a basis in continuity.  We can reasonably deduce that Voltaire knows Pandora is around.  If he marked Dex, we cna further assume he knows the style with which she marks people and conclude that he was attempting to frame her for Dex.  There's no reason to imagine any long history between them until there's evidence for it.

Your speculation doesn't spring from a basis in continuity either.

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

At least give me points for suggesting a multiple personality complex so profound it produces multiple physical bodies....  :)

Well, it's true that as far as we know, that may be NORMAL way how immortals reproduce.

(Also, didn't I speculated somewhere already that Demetrius and Helena are actually one immortal?)

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, didn't I speculated somewhere already that Demetrius and Helena are actually one immortal?

Actually that doesn't push The Button, given that we always see them together and doesn't require them being a known character as the new character.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Well, it's true that as far as we know, that may be NORMAL way how immortals reproduce.

By all things lawful good don't make me do the Fibonacci sequence math again on number of immortals in the world based on that.  I've got to think about it.  That either doubles the number, adds one more "generation" or squares the number, one of the three.  Given the size of the numbers we are talking about 1 and 2 don't really have much effect, but 3 is scary.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Your speculation doesn't spring from a basis in continuity either.

Maybe, maybe not.  Voltaire is powerful and knows how Pandora operates.  What's more she's been a lot calmer since the older strips where she appeared as the creepy girl that crashed Rhoda's TV interview or shredded Magus' astral form for not making Ed Verres kill Abraham.

I did say this was an idea I was playing with but hadn't committed to.

38 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Have I mentioned I have trouble with words that are correctly spelled, but not the right word?  My normal fail is form or from, but I have noticed the table/tablet problem the more I deal with hand held computers that are not also phones.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the next time God decides to give someone a revised set of guidelines, they'll be on iPads. ;)

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the next time God decides to give someone a revised set of guidelines, they'll be on iPads. ;)

I hope not.  Apple is to full of themselves now.  Plus guidelines from on high should not be in a proprietary format

Information wants to be free

DRM is spawn of the Evil Ones.

25 minutes ago, mlooney said:
30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

By all things lawful good don't make me do the Fibonacci sequence math again on number of immortals in the world based on that.  I've got to think about it.  That either doubles the number, adds one more "generation" or squares the number, one of the three.  Given the size of the numbers we are talking about 1 and 2 don't really have much effect, but 3 is scary.

Actually, if immortals only reproduce AFTER they get crazy enough to get multiple personalities disorder, it might keep the numbers quite low.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Considering Steve Jobs is in hell I would say it would be something android-based.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, if immortals only reproduce AFTER they get crazy enough to get multiple personalities disorder, it might keep the numbers quite low.

That only reduces the number of generations.  Assuming "Immortal" means what it means in English, that "death" by means of violence is just a "bad reset", and the age of the earth is a freaking huge number.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

No, out of a burning Samsung Galaxy.

Nice imagery.

Just now, mlooney said:

I hope not.  Apple is to full of themselves now.  Plus guidelines from on high should not be in a proprietary format

Information wants to be free

DRM is spawn of the Evil Ones.

No no, it would be the perfect way to get Apple to change their policies if God used their own products to deliver such a message.

Have it suddenly be displayed on iPads everywhere! For all to see!

...Wait, most people would probably believe that it's a computer virus some hacker create and not God...

...Wait, Apple claims that their products don't get viruses... Everyone's faith in Apple products drops considerably, Apple either goes bankrupt or is forced to reform their policies.

This could still have merit!

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Have it suddenly be displayed on iPads everywhere! For all to see!

That has the problem with putting God, or whoever from on high, in the same category as U2. Which would not do any thing good for Bono's ego issues.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

...Wait, Apple claims that their products don't get viruses... Everyone's faith in Apple products drops considerably, Apple either goes bankrupt or is forced to reform their policies.

Yeah, I can see that.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Plus guidelines from on high should not be in a proprietary format

This does not have much to do with electronics, but this reminds me of an internet argument I was especially saddened by. It irritates me when people cherry pick from the Bible to justify their positions -- I may be a sorry excuse for a lapsed Christian, but I still respect many of the messages the Good Book has for us. I tried to get through to this person that I simply didn't find her attitude reconcilable with what Christ had said, and she replied, "The Bible is not for people like you."

I didn't even get mad. It just saddened me so very much. I still cannot comprehend that attitude.

And I hope I never will.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

AHHHHHH

Conservation of Detail is a GUIDELINE Not hand down on high ON STONE TABLES TABLETS!!!!

Pant Pant Pant.

*quietly makes a note about said Beserk Button*

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

There was an episode of Forever Knight where that was a plot element.  The murdered reporter's old articles on his computer had "form" where he meant "from" over and over (later fixed by the proofreader after they'd been sent in), so when the supposedly quickly-written suicide note had "from" typed correctly every time, they knew it was likely a fake.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Sounds good. Not that apple viruses really don't exist ... 1, 2, ...

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I may be a sorry excuse for a lapsed Christian, but I still respect many of the messages the Good Book has for us.

I don't count as Christian at all, but I still respect many of Christ messages. Like when he thrown money changers from the temple. Also, I liked gospel of Thomas. (What do you mean wikiquote doesn't contain full version? :)) I have considerably less respect for Church.

I think if bible wouldn't be for me I would get burned touching it.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, I know, but the joke mainly originated back in the 90s when apple products weren't as commonly used, a friend on IRC who tended to use Macs for graphics design and such would often suggest we all get a Mac whenever news of a new and potentially dangerous virus was discovered (the winCIH:Chernobyl virus in particular) because hackers would rather attack windows based PCs because that's where the most damage could be done.

I'm not surprised that IOS viruses are cropping up, iphones and ipads are fairly popular and common enough to attract the attention of people thinking it'd be fun to create viruses for them.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

iOS != OS X;

BSD Unix, the grunt under OS X has damn good security.

And while I'm at it:

BSD Unix != Linux != AIX != System V Unix != POSIX. 

A set of facts that used to bite me in the sitting area about once a month, back when I was SysAdmin.

For the non programmers "!=" means "does not equal".

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Okay, now I have to ask. Is there also such a thing as BDSM Unix?

Back in my time spent on IRC there was a /slap that involved a trout. Someone had created their own version that used a 60lbs Unix manual instead of a fish. Used it quite often too so....I would say Yes?