• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday August 21, 2017

Susan's "friend" is either Ashley and this is a segue to bringing to into the story, or it's Nanase who'd be more likely to know how Japanese honorifics worked. Most likely the latter.

Hanma really wants to make an effort to not be seen as a bad Immortal here. Guess there's hope for them yet. ;)

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Susan's "friend" is either Ashley and this is a segue to bringing to into the story, or it's Nanase who'd be more likely to know how Japanese honorifics worked. Most likely the latter.

Hanma really wants to make an effort to not be seen as a bad Immortal here. Guess there's hope for them yet. ;)

She's only immature, not evil.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

She has enough friends with knowledge of Japanese culture that it could be most of the main 8 (Ted and Nanase have Japanese heritage, Elliot speaks at least some of the language so ellen would as well, Justin could have picked it up from working at the comic book store or Nanase, and who knows Grace has read about to make up for her early life), as well as Greg, Mr. Veeres, Tedsaided, etc.

I would expect it to have come up while watching/discussing an Anime so Eliot or justin are my top picks ;)

Just now, Sjmcc13 said:

She has enough friends with knowledge of Japanese culture that it could be most of the main 8 (Ted and Nanase have Japanese heritage, Elliot speaks at least some of the language so ellen would as well, Justin could have picked it up from working at the comic book store or Nanase, and who knows Grace has read about to make up for her early life), as well as Greg, Mr. Veeres, Tedsaided, etc.

I would expect it to have come up while watching/discussing an Anime so Eliot or justin are my top picks ;)

We know Elliot and Ellen's only knowledge of Japanese is in the form of fancy combat shouts. When Ellen went over to Nanase's to help babysit Akiko, she didn't understand anything beyond the fact that Nanase's parents were leaving. I'm sure Nanase probably tried to teach some to Ellen though, but then that would make her more knowledgeable than Elliot if Ellen picked up anything from it.

We've no evidence that Tedd ever learned any Japanese, I don't think Noriko ever got around to even trying to teach him before she left and I get the feeling that Tedd never really spent much time with the Kitsunes growing up. The only other language that we know he knows is Uryuomoco. Edward probably knows many languages thanks to Uryuom's fancy teaching methods, but there's no guarantee that Tedd's got the same level of linguistics knowledge.

Grace was apparently teaching herself Japanese, we don't know how far along she went with it though so we can't be sure if she'd be the one to inform Susan about honorifics.

We don't know if Salty Crackers imports Japanese manga or even has manga at all, though I'd be inclined to think any manga in stock would be translated versions. We're basically betting on if Nanase also tried teaching Justin anything beyond fancy combat shouts.

Greg, I'm not sure, his knowledge of Japanese might just be limited to the fancy combat shouts he taught in ASMA class, the anime he watched could have been subbed or dubbed for all we know. Also Susan hasn't had any interaction with him as far as we know since I think the first Sister arc.

Has there been any evidence that Tensaided would know Japanese?

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

He's a serious anime fan, so maybe.

We saw him duck into the "Anime Stuff" shop in the mall, but we don't know what caught his attention. Overall though Tensaided is a serious geek that knows a lot of pop culture stuff. Being into anime doesn't guarantee knowing Japanese.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

He's a serious anime fan, so maybe.

We saw him duck into the "Anime Stuff" shop in the mall, but we don't know what caught his attention. Overall though Tensaided is a serious geek that knows a lot of pop culture stuff. Being into anime doesn't guarantee knowing Japanese.

However, even if he DOESN'T know Japanese he may know stuff like "-chan" being rude. In fact, Tensaided would be the type who would probably search for and memorize some "list of 10 worst mistakes anime fans are doing".

Also, wasn't it Dame TARA who caught his attention?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Grace was apparently teaching herself Japanese, we don't know how far along she went with it though so we can't be sure if she'd be the one to inform Susan about honorifics.

Grace is apparently very good at learning and again, even if she didn't finished with it, she would be the type who would pick stuff like this.

That said, I would expect the friend Susan asked was Nanase. It makes most sense and Susan KNOWS Nanase knows japanese.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't know, seemed like a decent amount of time passed between when we saw him and when he called Elliot. There's the time spent in the book store with Elliot transforming, then they were casually walking to the next store to use the dressing rooms, that'd be several minutes probably, and then however long they spent making out in the rooms.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Grace is apparently very good at learning and again, even if she didn't finished with it, she would be the type who would pick stuff like this.

That said, I would expect the friend Susan asked was Nanase. It makes most sense and Susan KNOWS Nanase knows japanese.

Yeah, that mention was early in the comic and we haven't even seen Grace actually speak Japanese so beyond Tedd, Elliot (and Ellen because she'd have the memory of Elliot being told that) no one else might know. At the same time, even if Susan had be told at one point she might still default to Nanase because Susan's spent more time with Nanase over the past while.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't know, seemed like a decent amount of time passed between when we saw him and when he called Elliot. There's the time spent in the book store with Elliot transforming, then they were casually walking to the next store to use the dressing rooms, that'd be several minutes probably, and then however long they spent making out in the rooms.

On the other hand, we don't know what was Dame Tara doing. It's possible Tensaided didn't called Elliot right away.

... well, ok, Tara didn't seem particularly patient at that point. And more importantly, she was still outside the mall when Elliot was transforming.

Elliot (and Ellen because she'd have the memory of Elliot being told that) no one else might know

And Elliot might've forget because he was distracted at that time :)

At the same time, even if Susan had be told at one point she might still default to Nanase because Susan's spent more time with Nanase over the past while.

Yes.

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

We know Elliot and Ellen's only knowledge of Japanese is in the form of fancy combat shouts. When Ellen went over to Nanase's to help babysit Akiko, she didn't understand anything beyond the fact that Nanase's parents were leaving. I'm sure Nanase probably tried to teach some to Ellen though, but then that would make her more knowledgeable than Elliot if Ellen picked up anything from it.

He obviously knows some vocabulary, and honorifics are important enough in the culture that he might learn their proper use BEFORE full conversation. Intruducitons are kind of important after all. As well it should be safe to assume that he is into Anime enough that he could easily have tried using Chan on Nanase and got shut down while they were dating.

We've no evidence that Tedd ever learned any Japanese, I don't think Noriko ever got around to even trying to teach him before she left and I get the feeling that Tedd never really spent much time with the Kitsunes growing up. The only other language that we know he knows is Uryuomoco. Edward probably knows many languages thanks to Uryuom's fancy teaching methods, but there's no guarantee that Tedd's got the same level of linguistics knowledge.

The lack of confirmation does not mean a negative. It is possible he learned, his Aunt may have taught him for all we know, but it is also likely that Edward deliberately did not teach him. Of course once you factor in regular contact with Will and Gill (as well as possibly other Aliens) his range of potential languages spoken is extreme. It comes down to how much interest Tedd has in his heritage.

Which means she can not negate her, until the story confirms or denies something it is still a possibility.

We don't know if Salty Crackers imports Japanese manga or even has manga at all, though I'd be inclined to think any manga in stock would be translated versions. We're basically betting on if Nanase also tried teaching Justin anything beyond fancy combat shouts.

The amount of overlap in what we do know that the sell with anime fans and otaku is large enough that it becomes a real possibility. Pretty much every card tournament I have ever gone to there was at least 1 group of Anime fans there, and they would discuss things about the shows. There is enough cross over that it is something Justin might have learned somewhere. I had listed Elliot and Justin as they are the 2 Susan is most likely to interact with, other then Sarah who seems more into French and european languages/culture then japanese to me.

Greg, I'm not sure, his knowledge of Japanese might just be limited to the fancy combat shouts he taught in ASMA class, the anime he watched could have been subbed or dubbed for all we know. Also Susan hasn't had any interaction with him as far as we know since I think the first Sister arc.

Subtitlers tend to leave in the honorifics, as huge a anime nerd as Greg is then he is likely to know something about them.

Has there been any evidence that Tensaided would know Japanese?

Why would there need to be? It is strongly implied that he is into Anime however.

Really the entire "there is not hard evidence so you are wrong" line of thought is the worst type of argument for this sort of thing. Characters are never fully fleshed out unless the story ends up tracking every aspect of their lives which they never do. All we know is what we have been told, with everything else a possibility, the more something relates to what we do know about a character the stronger the possibility. All i was saying is that there are cases to be made for most of Susan's circle of friends and acquaintances.

Greg is a stretch, but we have a 6 month gap in the timeline with almost no information. 

49 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

As well it should be safe to assume that he is into Anime enough that he could easily have tried using Chan on Nanase and got shut down while they were dating.

I feel Elliot can still know of Anime and have a general idea to be able to understand when someone's referencing it, but that doesn't mean he'd actually be into it.

The reason I think this is the fact that Elliot knows about Superman, but doesn't ACTUALLY know about Superman, as in he's never read the comics or anything, he just knows that Superman's a guy that is strong and can fly and dates Lois Lane. Actually, looking back at this page, I don't think Nanase had ever tried to correct Elliot on improper honorifics based on Anime, or evidence that Elliot ever used them at all, or else she wouldn't feel the need to warn Elliot about others expositing his ears off for not knowing things about Superman. If she had mentioned something much earlier about anime and honorifics and such, this instance would just be an addendum to it because it'd be very similar, but it doesn't feel like an addendum.

49 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Really the entire "there is not hard evidence so you are wrong" line of thought is the worst type of argument for this sort of thing

I wasn't saying you're wrong, I was just saying we don't know for sure and there are other possibilities that we can't just assume. My statements were basically saying that while they could watch anime and read manga, there's no guarantee that they've gone out of their way to learn Japanese or just opted to watch/read English translated versions. I mean, we have Ashley who's read manga but doesn't know a lick of Japanese and only attempted to learn Spanish. That's why I originally said it'd be more likely that Susan contacted Nanase rather than Ashley despite how good of a segue it'd be to introduce Ashley into the story.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Actually, looking back at this page, I don't think Nanase had ever tried to correct Elliot on improper honorifics based on Anime, or evidence that Elliot ever used them at all, or else she wouldn't feel the need to warn Elliot about others expositing his ears off for not knowing things about Superman.

However, it's possible she tried to correct Ellen.

9 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Of course once you factor in regular contact with Will and Gill (as well as possibly other Aliens) his range of potential languages spoken is extreme. It comes down to how much interest Tedd has in his heritage.

And languages in general. Based on how Will taught Elliot Uryuomoco without Elliot ASKING for it, just to show how quickly it can be done, it would be possible for Tedd to learn any language Will knows - but Will himself may not know japanese (they DO know french on the other hand) and Tedd might not care about any other language than uryuomoco.

Subtitlers tend to leave in the honorifics, as huge a anime nerd as Greg is then he is likely to know something about them.

That might actually make him LESS likely to realize they shouldn't be used in normal english.

Really the entire "there is not hard evidence so you are wrong" line of thought is the worst type of argument for this sort of thing.

It's bad argument for being wrong, but due to conservation of detail, if there are two possibilities and there is evidence in comics for one of them, it's much more likely that is the possibility which is true.

If there would be some reason it can't be Nanase, then we could be thinking about possible alternatives. But there is none ; Nanase makes most sense from ALL characters shown up to now and arguing that there is other option is like speculating there will be some new character who didn't appeared till know but who is Susan's friend and knows japanese.

(... or ... well ... it IS possible that Catalina is fluent in Japanese and that it came out when she was hanging out with Susan ... )