• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

So, everyone in the path of the eclipse today, how was it?  North Americans can boast here now, and the thread can be revived in a couple years when South America gets its turn, and so on.... ;-)

I was in the 88% zone.  It was fairly cool.   The tree shadow effect is still my favorite of things.   Showed it to the people up stairs and they were all "that's cooler than the glasses".

My colleague beat me to it requesting today off; she was going to drive down to Carbondale with her family, so it was probably just as well she got to go.  I told the boss I have dibs for 2024.  :-)

We had variable overcast today, which means there was at least a little cloud between us and the sun all day, but there were periods when the clouds were thin enouh that we could use our soluna eclipse glasses to see a little orange disk gradually covered by a black disk.  Right up until the time given for peak eclipse in our area, at which point the clouds thickened up again and didn't give us more than a glimpse at a time, and those pretty rarely.

I was at work.  I'd bought a package of fifty eclipse glasses a month or so ago, back before everyone sold out, and passed them out to all the staff (and friends, and a few clients, and some kids in front of the library....), so we could all go out and look in a group.  I went out the first time it looked like there were shadows on the ground, and sure enough, I could see the sun just fine through the glasses even though it was just a big bright blurred patch in the overcast.  So, I let everyone else know and several of us looked at it for a couple of minutes.  There was already a pretty good sized bite gone.  Checked back regularly until the peak at 1:19, then, as I said, not a lot visible.

We got something like 86% coverage, so it wasn't all that different from any other cloudy day, and the haze meant we couldn't see really distinct shadows -- no bringing the collander out to take pictures of all the crescent shadows at the holes.  The tree shadows didn't look quite right, but again, not distinct enough to pin it down.

Overall, neat to see, but not life-changing.  I made a note in my iPad calendar to make a hotel reservation one year before the next one, since that seems to be the limit of most hotel reservation systems.  I might try calling a couple tomorrow, just in case they can do it, though.

Down here in Houston we didn't get the total eclipse, but I did (hastily) make a pinhole projector and get a glimpse at it when it was near its peak.