• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday August 25, 2017

Okay, so this is an attack on Adrian specifically.  Unless someone knows of another half-breed.  Can anyone think of a twist Dan could throw us here?  Grace is more like a four-quarters breed.  I seriously doubt they mean Guineas or Hedge.  Anyone know for sure what Noah's mix is?  Okay, twist aside, if this is the actual attack on Adrian, then I agree that Sirleck isn't actually expecting many, or even any, of his minions to survive.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Okay, twist aside, if this is the actual attack on Adrian, then I agree that Sirleck isn't actually expecting many, or even any, of his minions to survive.

On what basis? Everything Sirleck knows would be from whatever he got online and from Voltaire impersonating the PI. He could reasonably expect Adrian to be a threat, but not that big a threat.

The plan is supposed to be Magus'. Sirleck would not be showing great concern for innocent lives, although he's smart enough to know that dead bodies draw investigators. Magus has two things he wants: get his body back, and destroy Pandora. I guess he wants to attract Elliot and Ellen to fight alongside Adrian, and once he gets his body and his magic back, fight Pandora. Edward did say that there were human wizards who were definite threats to Immortals. I don't think Magus really has a chance against Pandora, especially Pandora of the last panel of Great Fairy Godmother--unless he is empowered by Voltaire.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if there's another eye or six under that cap.

See, this is what I am talking about. Good horror leaves something for the imagination to work with. That big shadow thing is just so blatant. Mr. Scarf on the other hand is underplayed. We know exactly one thing about him and that is that he made the shadow thing back down by calling it out on its pretend outrage. As Tom hinted at, our own imaginations will supply us with copious horrific possibilities as far as his true nature is concerned.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Just to once more comment on the fact that in horror stories less is often more, I find the aberration in the scarf a good deal more disturbing than the big obviously scary and fanged shadow thing.

Me too.    Which is not to say BOSaF thing is something I'd like to meet in an alleyway.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

See, this is what I am talking about. Good horror leaves something for the imagination to work with. That big shadow thing is just so blatant. Mr. Scarf on the other hand is underplayed. We know exactly one thing about him and that is that he made the shadow thing back down by calling it out on its pretend outrage. As Tom hinted at, our own imaginations will supply us with copious horrific possibilities as far as his true nature is concerned.

I get the impression that he's either more powerful than the beast aberration, or at least more calculating. It felt like he wanted the beast to try to attack him and it's possible the beast sensed his power, but we're still left not knowing for sure who would have won.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Just to once more comment on the fact that in horror stories less is often more, I find the aberration in the scarf a good deal more disturbing than the big obviously scary and fanged shadow thing.

Yeah, the big obviously scary and fanged shadow thing? You know that's a threat to run away from. Scarf dude? You could sit next to him on the train and not know he's a life-stealing monster incapable of empathy.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The plan is supposed to be Magus'. Sirleck would not be showing great concern for innocent lives, although he's smart enough to know that dead bodies draw investigators. Magus has two things he wants: get his body back, and destroy Pandora. I guess he wants to attract Elliot and Ellen to fight alongside Adrian, and once he gets his body and his magic back, fight Pandora. Edward did say that there were human wizards who were definite threats to Immortals. I don't think Magus really has a chance against Pandora, especially Pandora of the last panel of Great Fairy Godmother--unless he is empowered by Voltaire.

I'm not sure Magus was informed about the 'Kill Adrian' part of the plan (He would know that would attract Pandora Chaos Raven, whom he wants to destroy, but it risks pulling her into the thick of things too early, and he would likely tell Sirleck that, which might spook Sirleck from attacking Adrian if he found out his immortal parent wasn't some improperly reset halfwit, but the crazy old and powerful immortal that originally pulled him into this mess), and even if he was, I doubt he would want Elliot and Ellen joining in that fight. For one, that risks losing them to collateral damage. For two, it would diminish the effectiveness of the distraction if the thing the distraction is meant to be pulling attention away from is in the middle of the distraction. It could still work, but with greater risk of the true intent being detected, especially as the main entities that Magus needs distracted likely won't be taking direct action in the distraction.

41 minutes ago, partner555 said:
7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, the big obviously scary and fanged shadow thing? You know that's a threat to run away from. Scarf dude? You could sit next to him on the train and not know he's a life-stealing monster incapable of empathy.

And if you're in the business of hunting down monsters like them, the BOSaF thing is an obvious target that you can gauge the capabilities of relatively easily. Scarf guy? Just another cool face in the crowd, that might be a monster, might be a civilian. And if you do figure out he's a monster, his capabilities are much harder to gauge without confronting him.

16 hours ago, partner555 said:
17 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Okay, twist aside, if this is the actual attack on Adrian, then I agree that Sirleck isn't actually expecting many, or even any, of his minions to survive.

On what basis? Everything Sirleck knows would be from whatever he got online and from Voltaire impersonating the PI. He could reasonably expect Adrian to be a threat, but not that big a threat.

Hmmm ... even based on what he knows, Adrian is supposed to be older than human live. But, yes, there is obviously big difference between hundred years old elf and elf who is at least three hundreds years old AND trained by Pandora "the reason why werewolves are extinct" Raven.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if there's another eye or six under that cap.

I'm more worried about what's under that scarf. I expect there would be lot of sharp teeth included.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

He would know that would attract Pandora Chaos Raven, whom he wants to destroy, but it risks pulling her into the thick of things too early, and he would likely tell Sirleck that, which might spook Sirleck from attacking Adrian if he found out his immortal parent wasn't some improperly reset halfwit, but the crazy old and powerful immortal that originally pulled him into this mess

AND is still around.

Although wait: does Magus know about Adrian Raven being Pandora's Raven child? I mean, sure, the names ARE suspicious ...

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

and even if he was, I doubt he would want Elliot and Ellen joining in that fight. For one, that risks losing them to collateral damage. For two, it would diminish the effectiveness of the distraction if the thing the distraction is meant to be pulling attention away from is in the middle of the distraction.

Yes. He would prefer if just the immortals would be in that fight and Elliot and Ellen would be left somewhere else.

He will be surprised if immortals would stay and Elliot will join the fight.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Magus knows a lot about magic, but strategy and tactics, not so much. Remember that the perfect plan that threw him into limbo was using a questionable potion to win a sparring match.

We don' t know if that was a potion or a device, and we have explicit evidence that it was sabotaged.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

We don' t know if that was a potion or a device, and we have explicit evidence that it was sabotaged.

It was a phial labeled Bon Voyage. Sabotage? Possibly, but also possible full-of-himself Magus didn't pay enough attention to the operating instructions, like maybe "Don't pop phial open with your thumb because you think it looks cool."

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It was a phial labeled Bon Voyage. Sabotage? Possibly, but also possible full-of-himself Magus didn't pay enough attention to the operating instructions, like maybe "Don't pop phial open with your thumb because you think it looks cool."

You know, the Bon Voyage might not be there BEFORE he activated it. In fact it seems it wasn't there, unless that was just LoD. He definitely said it was sabotage.

Monster is too eager, scarf-face is not. Good for him.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Scarf dude? You could sit next to him on the train and not know he's a life-stealing monster incapable of empathy.

He would, if he could, be out of sight after the next glance.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You know, the Bon Voyage might not be there BEFORE he activated it. In fact it seems it wasn't there, unless that was just LoD. He definitely said it was sabotage.

Yeah I'm inclined to believe that the item was sabotaged in such a way to reveal the "Bon Voyage" upon use. The shield emblem would have made it seem like a defensive item at first. The spiral and message would make it some sort of teleport or portal.

I need a reminder, do aberrations lack anything besides empathy again?

Speaking of which wouldn't lacking empathy make it difficult to emotionally manipulate someone?

2 hours ago, animalia said:

I need a reminder, do aberrations lack anything besides empathy again?

I don't think so.

2 hours ago, animalia said:

Speaking of which wouldn't lacking empathy make it difficult to emotionally manipulate someone?

I think that aberrations lack emotional empathy (the ability to FEEL empathy) but may not lack cognitive empathy (the ability to UNDERSTAND another's mental state). Which is combination making manipulating someone EASIER.

In other words, their lack of empathy will be the kind psychopaths have, not the kind autistic people have.

I wanted to point out that empathy and compassion a

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think so.

I think that aberrations lack emotional empathy (the ability to FEEL empathy) but may not lack cognitive empathy (the ability to UNDERSTAND another's mental state). Which is combination making manipulating someone EASIER.

In other words, their lack of empathy will be the kind psychopaths have, not the kind autistic people have.

I was about to get into how empathy and compassion are not related. Thank you for beating me to the punch.

For the record I have Asperger's syndrome, a kind of high-functioning autism. And while I struggle with social ques no one can ever accuse me of lacking compassion.

Think of me as more introverted, less furry, male Grace. 

Now that I think about it is Grace really a good example? I think she was just sheltered , and once she learned said conventions I THINK she was surprisingly good at picking up on those things. Still the ACTIONS are similar if not the resons for the actions.