• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday August 25, 2017

6 minutes ago, animalia said:

I cannot see my text when i try to edit

That's a problem with the forum software. You can get around it by selecting the text and changing the colour. 

Also, double posting is frowned on.

8 minutes ago, partner555 said:

That's a problem with the forum software. You can get around it by selecting the text and changing the colour. 

Also, double posting is frowned on.

I don't know how to do that. And if could see to edit I would not need to double post.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

In other words, their lack of empathy will be the kind psychopaths have, not the kind autistic people have.

You do understand that being on the autistic spectrum and having antisocial personality disorder are not mutually exclusive, right?

If not, check your neurotypical privilege.

17 minutes ago, animalia said:

I don't know how to do that. And if could see to edit I would not need to double post.

In your editing tools for the post, there is the "A" symbol. That's how you change the text's colour.

4 hours ago, animalia said:

This is a known bug in the forum software (actually I think it's in the default configuration).

This thread may be helpful.

edit: bad html fixed and duplicate posting reported

8 hours ago, animalia said:

Now that I think about it is Grace really a good example? I think she was just sheltered , and once she learned said conventions I THINK she was surprisingly good at picking up on those things. Still the ACTIONS are similar if not the resons for the actions.

Exactly - the way she realized Sam is transgender was extremely good example.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

You do understand that being on the autistic spectrum and having antisocial personality disorder are not mutually exclusive, right?

I'm not diagnosed but I suspect I'm also on the autistic spectrum - I mean, somewhere else on it than "zero". However, I already know several people who make me feel lucky I'm more neurotypical than them.

And yes, sure you can be on autistic spectrum, have antisocial personality disorder, allergy on cats, arachnophobia, flu and broken leg. None of those are mutually exclusive. Also, as far as I now, they are independent, so having more than one is just coincidence and happens less often that just one.

Regarding aberrations, they have antisocial personality disorder because they are aberrations, but they only are on autistic spectrum if they were there as humans. Hard to say about the others ... we know about one aberration who didn't seem to have arachnophobia :), and it's quite likely they have better regeneration, which may mean less problems with broken legs.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
8 hours ago, animalia said:

This is a known bug in the forum software (actually I think it's in the default configuration).

This thread may be helpful.

I don't have greasemonkey so I just made a bookmarklet.

Fix EGS style

Regarding aberrations, they have antisocial personality disorder because they are aberrations

I'd guess most of them had antisocial personality disorder before they became aberrations... and most of the exceptions weren't very smart, so probably don't last long as aberrations.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

I'd guess most of them had antisocial personality disorder before they became aberrations... and most of the exceptions weren't very smart, so probably don't last long as aberrations.

That is a tall assumption. There is ONE trait in common for aberrations we can be certain of. They feared death so much that they were willing to pay any price to avoid it. Trying to ram this into a specific category of mental disorder is as simplistic as saying that they were all members of the same political party.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That is a tall assumption. There is ONE trait in common for aberrations we can be certain of. They feared death so much that they were willing to pay any price to avoid it. Trying to ram this into a specific category of mental disorder is as simplistic as saying that they were all members of the same political party.

Fear of death could motivate even people who consider losing empathy big price instead of advantage, yes.

Also, there are lot of people who hate (almost) everyone even without having mental disorder. And when Sirleck told Magus he should become aberration to get rid of empathy, Magus rejected ... but there ARE people who feel empathy and don't want to.

And, well ... I still think there can be people who just didn't read the manual carefully enough. Although those would likely count as "not smart" ...

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, hkmaly said:

And, well ... I still think there can be people who just didn't read the manual carefully enough. Although those would likely count as "not smart" ...

To be fair, the manuals for magic in the EGS-verse are a confusing mess. Even nice spells can be hard to decipher.

Also, that gets me thinking. Assuming becoming an aberration works like regular magic (which it might not, but we don't have an evidence that it doesn't as far as I know), then it would require the individual to be a wizard and pick up the spell from somewhere (possibly easier said than done, as aberrations are unlikely to help a prospective rival instead of just eating them), or earn the spell the good ol' fashioned way, practice and train your magic till you 'level up' and hope you get the spell you want.

38 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

or earn the spell the good ol' fashioned way, practice and train your magic till you 'level up' and hope you get the spell you want.

Given the way magic works, it's probably quite easy to get the spell to become an Aberration. The desire for immortality just needs to be strong enough.

There could also be highly illegal black-market wands or other devices, or people or entities with a spell/power to turn others into Aberrations if they meet the requirements, convince them they're worthy/evil enough/paying them enough, and may or may not require full and knowing consent (versus either consent without full information or being mentally willing but not actually needing to say it out loud, just to want it strongly enough).

What about a usually beneficial, ethically neutral spell to improve strength and health by scooping up excess energy -- all the prospective abberation needs to do is overpower it with an intentional disregard for where, how, or from whom the energy is taken.

16 hours ago, Drasvin said:
On 8/29/2017 at 4:57 AM, hkmaly said:

To be fair, the manuals for magic in the EGS-verse are a confusing mess. Even nice spells can be hard to decipher.

Good point. IF someone becames aberration by using own spell, we can hardly call him stupid for not understanding manual which is hard to read on purpose.

15 hours ago, partner555 said:
16 hours ago, Drasvin said:

or earn the spell the good ol' fashioned way, practice and train your magic till you 'level up' and hope you get the spell you want.

Given the way magic works, it's probably quite easy to get the spell to become an Aberration. The desire for immortality just needs to be strong enough.

... meaning that the hard part of decision happens on subconscious level ...

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There could also be highly illegal black-market wands or other devices, or people or entities with a spell/power to turn others into Aberrations if they meet the requirements, convince them they're worthy/evil enough/paying them enough, and may or may not require full and knowing consent (versus either consent without full information or being mentally willing but not actually needing to say it out loud, just to want it strongly enough).

1 hour ago, Haylo said:

What about a usually beneficial, ethically neutral spell to improve strength and health by scooping up excess energy -- all the prospective abberation needs to do is overpower it with an intentional disregard for where, how, or from whom the energy is taken.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1716

Since we seemed to be speculating a lot, I figured it was a good idea to link that before we continue.

Anyway, from that page, becoming an Aberration is a choice. Given what's involved, I'm sure it has to be a fully informed and consensual choice.

5 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Since we seemed to be speculating a lot, I figured it was a good idea to link that before we continue.

Anyway, from that page, becoming an Aberration is a choice. Given what's involved, I'm sure it has to be a fully informed and consensual choice.

The page definitely implies it's fully informed and consensual choice. But it still ONLY implies it, so it's not completely clear how it works and if there are no holes in those rules ...

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, partner555 said:

The page definitely implies it's fully informed and consensual choice. But it still ONLY implies it, so it's not completely clear how it works and if there are no holes in those rules ...

It's possible that Not_Tengu fit the bill for becoming an aberration at some point. He may not have had any desire to feed on any of his brainwashed victims in the past, but maybe as he neared the end of his life, he might have develop a desire for immortality. Of course this is all moot unless he manages to escape whatever prison the FBI has him in and continues trying to build a flock or try to get revenge.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Of course this is all moot unless he manages to escape whatever prison the FBI has him in and continues trying to build a flock or try to get revenge.

And don't forget that he also needs to survive it. I'm not convinced he would survive second encounter with Noriko, especially after she would hear about him attacking Nanase. And main eight might also power up meanwhile. And if someone manages to sell him the idea that becoming aberration will help him ... well, it will only help him to quick death as noone would bother imprisoning him as aberration.

But, otherwise, yes: seems that the missing bit for Not_Tengu is just him getting old enough to care more about his survival than about his flock being sexy.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But, otherwise, yes: seems that the missing bit for Not_Tengu is just him getting old enough to care more about his survival than about his flock being sexy.

I'm sure there'd be some aberrations that might have some enjoyment over having their harems compete for the chance to sacrifice themselves.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure there'd be some aberrations that might have some enjoyment over having their harems compete for the chance to sacrifice themselves.

Some, yes. But I don't think it would be Not Tengu's case - isn't this little against the idea of being so similar they have no personal identity?

On 8/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, mlooney said:

I thought you don't take comments about neurotypical privilege well, yer here you are making one. Should I assume you are being sarcastic?