• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

NP Wednesday August 30th, 2017

Sadly, I might have to glare at Hanma this one time. Buuut this is the Gooniverse, wherein it is chockfull of hi-jinks galore.

Monday quietly ran past, I say. Now, to acquire a pen display...

I would counter that the evilness of the artifact acting upon people without informed consent is proportional to the severity of the action. A simple action that only lasts a few moments and doesn't carry much emotional weight for the subject being acted upon is little more than a prank. Potentially annoying, but not really harmful(unless done repeatedly, but that would be breaking away from the 'only lasts a few moments' part). Though major transformation, even temporary, is a very severe action, especially if mental transformation is involved. If the person isn't ready and willing to undergo something like that, it can lead to some bad experiences. It might not, but there would be far too much risk of harm if the person to be transformed doesn't consent to being transformed.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Even something quite simple, if it demonstrates breaking the known laws of physics, could seriously mess with someone's workdview.

People who's worldview would be seriously messed up by observing breaking the known laws of physics  are usually capable of ignoring demonstration of such even hours long. Possibly with comments like "it's in his sleeve" and "I've seen Copperfield doing this better". Or "I didn't though I'm so drunk".

Hanma said:

Isn't it more of an exciting adventure if they don't know?

Yes, definitely - and not only in story, even in reality BUT only if it ends well. People are usually willing to ignore or excuse they didn't consent to it if they enjoyed it. That's why surprise parties are not evil. Usually. Or why you don't always need to explicitly ask girl if you can kiss her. The problem is that you need to know the person very well to be sure they will enjoy it. Especially if it's something as dangerous as transformations.

Of course, we have near-omniscient immortals here ; Pandora marking Tedd is good example where was ZERO risk of Tedd objecting to being marked. And in general, due to magic marks being based on desire, affinity or personality, marking people is less evil than it would seem. It STILL made Adrian angry when he hear about someone doing it without people's consent and knowledge.

Regarding Sailor Moon: I didn't actually saw it, but I did saw the transformations. Aren't those basically changing clothes? Doesn't seem so dangerous. Also, weren't they predestined, reincarnated or something to became Sailor Scouts? It's something different when you can't really choose anyone else.

Also, usually the fate of universe (or at least planet) is at stake, and in such situation some evil can be excused. Although it still raises the question why it was so necessary to send her into battle without ANY explanation beforehand. Meanwhile, if it's just for fun? No excuse. Especially if it's going to be someone's ELSE fun.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Regarding Sailor Moon: I didn't actually saw it, but I did saw the transformations. Aren't those basically changing clothes? Doesn't seem so dangerous. Also, weren't they predestined, reincarnated or something to became Sailor Scouts?

Yes, and yes. Danger? That comes elsewhere and is young cartoonish. That's coming from one of the biggest Sailor Moon freaks in Texas. ;)

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Yes, and yes. Danger? That comes elsewhere and is young cartoonish. That's coming from one of the biggest Sailor Moon freaks in Texas.

Also, not sure about Sailor Moon, but generally, this kind of transformation makes MORE likely you survive that danger, compared to some random bystander. Especially if that danger is huge monster which makes holes in houses.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, not sure about Sailor Moon, but generally, this kind of transformation makes MORE likely you survive that danger, compared to some random bystander. Especially if that danger is huge monster which makes holes in houses.

These transformations always did amaze me. They would take from half a minute to two minutes or more, and when they were done, the combat would still be at the stage where they started transforming.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

These transformations always did amaze me. They would take from half a minute to two minutes or more, and when they were done, the combat would still be at the stage where they started transforming.

I always subscribed to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra on those:

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

:D:PB):D

My favorite part of the transformations (after the animations) was the music. It always had a 1980s American Game Show feel to it.

"Sailor Jupiter, Come on down! You're the next contestant on, 'The Senshi is Right!'"

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Well, either the magical girls are protected durning the transformation, or it doesn't actually take that long in-universe (warning, tvtropes link).