• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday September 6, 2017

35 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could That Guy be related to Grand Prize Winner Some Guy?

That's an interesting possibility, though it would also mean that their parents are terrible when it comes to naming their children.

6 hours ago, Stature said:

The speculoos from before are open for business again.

Speculoos is an amusing word.

I wonder how the new and improved Larry will react if/when he learns they (probably) won't be a couple (and instead just friends) due to ( what I assume will be incompatible orientation). While the old jerk Larry would definitely see it as his chsnce to move in, I think the new Larry is JUST developed enough to be torn up enough to between not wanting to hurt her when she is vulnerable and realizeing that if he lets this chance pass he may be single for the rest of his life. IF this is the case he will need someone to talk to and heaven knows Rich isn't it. Which makes me curious to see what would happen next.

Do you guys think Larry has developed to the point he may react like that, or do you think Ism projecting to much?

1 hour ago, animalia said:

Do you guys think Larry has developed to the point he may react like that, or do you think Ism projecting to much?

People who get Larry's sort of character development tend to evolve for the better (RE Melissa, Diane and probably Pandora). 

I'd expect some form of "better, heart in the right place but not there yet".  Larry may have to break up with Rich.

3 hours ago, Stature said:

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2394

Gee-yaaaah??? Looks good on her.

Oh yeah, Sam. The speculoos from before are open for business again. (If you have no idea, please wait for a longtime reader to talk about it)

I think people speculated that Sam might have been the one that messaged Elliot asking if he was Cheerleadra and if he could help them transform. The person never said whether they were trans-male or trans-female and Dan might have made it intentionally vague to not completely give away who sent the message.

We know that Sam was worried about the "Not Date" with Sarah because he has no idea how she might react if she learned the truth, so it's possible that Sam would want to believe there'd be an easy way to transform before seeing Sarah again.

15 hours ago, partner555 said:

The twin ponytails looks good on her.

Meanwhile, the sweater looks like too big ... but still good.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:
10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could That Guy be related to Grand Prize Winner Some Guy?

That's an interesting possibility, though it would also mean that their parents are terrible when it comes to naming their children.

Unlike Some Guy, he may not actually be NAMED that. But if he IS, it makes totally sense that it's not that common family name ...

9 hours ago, animalia said:

I wonder how the new and improved Larry will react if/when he learns they (probably) won't be a couple (and instead just friends) due to ( what I assume will be incompatible orientation).

What incompatible sexual orientation? (Holding TF gun with smoke coming from barrel despite TF gun being energy based so no reason for smoking)

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, Stature said:

Oh yeah, Sam. The speculoos from before are open for business again. (If you have no idea, please wait for a longtime reader to talk about it)

I think people speculated that Sam might have been the one that messaged Elliot asking if he was Cheerleadra and if he could help them transform. The person never said whether they were trans-male or trans-female and Dan might have made it intentionally vague to not completely give away who sent the message.

We know that Sam was worried about the "Not Date" with Sarah because he has no idea how she might react if she learned the truth, so it's possible that Sam would want to believe there'd be an easy way to transform before seeing Sarah again.

Yeah, I remember that and considers it very tame speculation for EGS. Of course, just because speculation is tame doesn't mean it's true ... and few wild speculations did proved true didn't they?

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, the sweater looks like too big ... but still good.

Unlike Some Guy, he may not actually be NAMED that. But if he IS, it makes totally sense that it's not that common family name ...

What incompatible sexual orientation? (Holding TF gun with smoke coming from barrel despite TF gun being energy based so no reason for smoking)

Yeah, I remember that and considers it very tame speculation for EGS. Of course, just because speculation is tame doesn't mean it's true ... and few wild speculations did proved true didn't they?

Are you using the Gun on Sarah or on Sam? Because not all trans people are gay.

Are you using the Gun on Sarah or on Sam? Because not all trans people are gay.

The idea would be that Sarah might want to help Sam, so the TFG (Or a wand that can permanently change default forms) would be intended for Sam.

Sam only met Sarah a week ago, they've likely texted each since then, but Sam still won't know a whole lot about Sarah, he won't know that Sarah is best friends with a genderfluid person that has access to shapeshifting technology or that Sarah has spent time as a male or has a friend who's a female duplicate of her ex boyfriend, so Sam doesn't know that Sarah would be aware of what transgender is, he expects her to freak out when she learns the truth, but in reality, she's very likely to be sympathetic, maybe to the point where she would be conflicted with the desire to help much like Elliot wanted to, but she would also probably consider the dangers of doing so.

One possible reason I can think of that would cause a relationship between Sarah and Sam to fail might be if Sam found out Sarah had access to ways to change gender and freaked out that she was hiding it from him. Sarah has good reasons to keep all that secret but Sam might not see if that way. It would certainly suck if it turned out that way, but it is one path this could take.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The idea would be that Sarah might want to help Sam, so the TFG (Or a wand that can permanently change default forms) would be intended for Sam.

Sam only met Sarah a week ago, they've likely texted each since then, but Sam still won't know a whole lot about Sarah, he won't know that Sarah is best friends with a genderfluid person that has access to shapeshifting technology or that Sarah has spent time as a male or has a friend who's a female duplicate of her ex boyfriend, so Sam doesn't know that Sarah would be aware of what transgender is, he expects her to freak out when she learns the truth, but in reality, she's very likely to be sympathetic, maybe to the point where she would be conflicted with the desire to help much like Elliot wanted to, but she would also probably consider the dangers of doing so.

One possible reason I can think of that would cause a relationship between Sarah and Sam to fail might be if Sam found out Sarah had access to ways to change gender and freaked out that she was hiding it from him. Sarah has good reasons to keep all that secret but Sam might not see if that way. It would certainly suck if it turned out that way, but it is one path this could take.

Sam still wouldn't be interested in Sarah even IF he became a guy.

Sam still wouldn't be interested in Sarah even IF he became a guy.

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding might be so I'll just work through as I understood it:

You originally mention orientation being a possible reason why Sarah and Sam wouldn't work.

Hkmaly then suggested that the TFG should resolve the issue easily enough.

And then you stated not all trans people are gay, and followed up with the above. Sexual orientation and gender identity are two separate things and for Sam to be gay, he'd have to be attracted to males. So considering he has shown interest in Sarah, unless we see otherwise, Sam would be straight, though we shouldn't rule out the possibility that he could be bisexual, and Sarah's been leaning that way for at least a couple weeks as well.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The Guy Family, with both parents working as rent-a-guards, can't afford to pay for real names.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

We know a mall cop that could be dad...t

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

And a Swedkea security lady that could be mom.

Right.  Quite awhile ago they became the "Guy" Family in my head canon.  Having to known not the same people having a relationship, even a close relationship off screen doesn't make me want to push the shiny candy coloured button about all characters being a known character and the The Dan doesn't seem to really use conservation of detail as much as some teachers say you should.

Getting a bit more serious for the moment, sexual identity and sexual preference are not identical. Does Sam really feel he's a man in a woman's body? Or does she feel she should be a man because she's attracted to other women? It's quite possible that Sam of whichever sex is attracted to men.

I kind of think Dan is going to get around to addressing this later, although not necessarily today, Moperville Time.

There's really not a lot we know about Sam. Sam's told Sarah he was on an allowance, like hers, so this suggests he's in high school like Sarah. He could even be younger than Sarah, although he's quite a lot taller. I've assumed that Sam goes to Moperville South, but he could go to a high school we haven't heard about, say in a nearby town. But maybe not. We haven't seen Sam dressed as a woman; she could look quite different. Contacts instead of glasses, hair worn differently, and maybe even a dress, and who would know it's Friday Night Sam? We don't even know if Sam is Sam when he isn't in his beard-and-pockets ensembles.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Getting a bit more serious for the moment, sexual identity and sexual preference are not identical. Does Sam really feel he's a man in a woman's body? Or does she feel she should be a man because she's attracted to other women? It's quite possible that Sam of whichever sex is attracted to men.

I kind of think Dan is going to get around to addressing this later, although not necessarily today, Moperville Time.

There's really not a lot we know about Sam. Sam's told Sarah he was on an allowance, like hers, so this suggests he's in high school like Sarah. He could even be younger than Sarah, although he's quite a lot taller. I've assumed that Sam goes to Moperville South, but he could go to a high school we haven't heard about, say in a nearby town. But maybe not. We haven't seen Sam dressed as a woman; she could look quite different. Contacts instead of glasses, hair worn differently, and maybe even a dress, and who would know it's Friday Night Sam? We don't even know if Sam is Sam when he isn't in his beard-and-pockets ensembles.

My understanding is gender identity (if any)  and sexual attraction (if any) are independent variables, admittedly weighted toward cis-norms.  We sort of have to trust that Sam has himself properly figured out. 

Going meta for a moment, I seriously doubt that Dan would ever have a character present themselves as trans then realize "oops.  I wasn't after all".  While I'd argue that being human is messy in exactly this sort of way, portraying that at this time in history would be very hurtful.  So "once trans, always trans" is a safe maxim to adopt in EGS and about anywhere else.

Some people suggest that panel 4 of this comic shows non-Friday Sam.

10 hours ago, animalia said:

Are you using the Gun on Sarah or on Sam?

Yes :)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

And then you stated not all trans people are gay, and followed up with the above. Sexual orientation and gender identity are two separate things and for Sam to be gay, he'd have to be attracted to males. So considering he has shown interest in Sarah, unless we see otherwise, Sam would be straight, though we shouldn't rule out the possibility that he could be bisexual, and Sarah's been leaning that way for at least a couple weeks as well.

While I think Sam's interest in Sarah is consistent with his sexual orientation, note that TF gun can solve at least some problems with sexual orientation as well.

Sam's told Sarah he was on an allowance, like hers, so this suggests he's in high school like Sarah. He could even be younger than Sarah, although he's quite a lot taller. I've assumed that Sam goes to Moperville South, but he could go to a high school we haven't heard about, say in a nearby town.

He may also be in first year of university as Luke. Being on allowance doesn't rule that out.

We don't even know if Sam is Sam when he isn't in his beard-and-pockets ensembles.

Based on his suggestion for Tedd, his own name is Sam or similar. Personally I assume he's Samantha.

5 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Going meta for a moment, I seriously doubt that Dan would ever have a character present themselves as trans then realize "oops.  I wasn't after all". 

Unless they turn up to be genderfluid.

47 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Unless they turn up to be genderfluid.

I think any kind of mistaken self-asessment would be shakey ground at best.

Once one has a clear understanding of what genderfluid is and what a transexual is, and one also has a clear understanding of how they personally feel, genderfluid and trans are going to be hard to mix up. 

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

While I think Sam's interest in Sarah is consistent with his sexual orientation, note that TF gun can solve at least some problems with sexual orientation as well.

True. I was mainly stating that liking females wouldn't make Sam gay just because he has a female body which I felt was what animalia was saying,  I even asked a trans-female friend about it before making my post and they pretty much confirmed what I was thinking which helped me write the post. The friend happens to be pansexual (which I guess can be possible for Sam too) but she knows a trans-male who's very much attracted to females and considers himself straight. So the evidence we have at the moment is that Sam appears to consider himself straight and if that one person at the mall does happen to be Sam, then the look he gave Elliot might be further evidence. Then again if the person in panel 2 of that page is also female, either she's gay or Elliot's mall form happens to make straight women see rainbows.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Then again if the person in panel 2 of that page is also female, either she's gay or Elliot's mall form happens to make straight women see rainbows.

a) Might be gay, bisexual or also trans.

b ) Might be guy. I don't think it's so obvious it must be female.

c) Might be the "straight women see rainbows" (if that expression even works gender-flipped ... and assuming Noah didn't misquote it).

d) Might be jealously or just surprise.

And the same options would be available for the person in panel 4 if that isn't Sam (technically, even if it is Sam, but for Sam we know a is correct)

Ehat makes you guys think Sam is attracked to Sarah? Maybe Sam sees Sarah as a friend and worries Sarah is attracted to them but will be disappointed when they find out they are PHYSICALLY female?

I am only guessing at Sam's sexual orientation based on statistics. There is not saying Sam can't be an exception.