• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday September 8, 2017

Sarah likes Ashley immediately because of this, before Sarah was being optimistic that the vibe she was getting before was that they'd be a good match, now she's like "Keep this one, she knows things."

Now they just need to convince Nanase, then that would take care of Elliot's ex's.

Ashley and her mild-to-moderate disdain for labels saves the day! Or at least this moment of the day. I would be very surprised if her disdain for labels ends up saving the whole day, with the ominous and bad stuff that we know is going to happen later.

20 minutes ago, partner555 said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Now they just need to convince Nanase, then that would take care of Elliot's ex's.

Why's Nanase not so trusting again?

She's being cynical. She thinks Ashley is being too nice, friendly, and good-hearted and is suspicious because of that.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Ashley and her mild-to-moderate disdain for labels saves the day! Or at least this moment of the day. I would be very surprised if her disdain for labels ends up saving the whole day, with the ominous and bad stuff that we know is going to happen later.

Yeah ... somehow I find hard to believe vampires would care if they would be labelled vampires, aberrations or the people who decided to stop being people.

7 hours ago, Drasvin said:
8 hours ago, partner555 said:

Why's Nanase not so trusting again?

She's being cynical. She thinks Ashley is being too nice, friendly, and good-hearted and is suspicious because of that.

I'm not surprised. Ashley's ability to win people is close to Mary Sue (warning, tvtropes link). Actually ... that's it. Mary Sue is unrealistic EXACTLY because in real life, there will always be someone who wouldn't trust someone so nice.

... also, Nanase has Mary Sue's ability list. Well, close to: Mary Sue would fight Not-Tengu head on and win.

I'm not usually one to mention comic timescales but wow it's been three years since Ashley first appeared? It's like that feeling where you look up a movie you remember watching in the cinema back when it was first released, and you look up its information on the EPG and it say "Released in 2010".

....The Avengers is five years old now. I feel old.

3 hours ago, CNash said:

....The Avengers is five years old now. I feel old.

Sad to say, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. We have several old coots in here who argue about the good old days where computers ran on transistors and a mobile phone meant one you unplugged from the wall and moved to a room with a different socket. :demonicduck:

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, close to: Mary Sue would fight Not-Tengu head on and win.

Neither did Nanase.  Their victory over Not-Tengu is a classic case of the indirect approach.  .

3 hours ago, CNash said:

The Avengers is five years old now. I feel old.

I saw Star Wars, before it was called Ep. IV as a senior in high school.  Pfth about movies made in the last 10 years that make you feel old.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I saw Star Wars, before it was called Ep. IV as a senior in high school.

I was stationed in Spain in 1977, so I didn't see it until the next year after I came back to the States.

I was kind of expecting pretty much everyone being at the mall for tonight's vampfest, but it looks like Dan is scattering his characters all over the place: Elliot and Ashley at Elliot's place; Sarah at the multiplex with Sam; and of course Diane and Susan at the mall food court. Grace should be working at Salty Crackers again, with Justin; maybe Tedd will be there too.

So where will Adrian Raven be? At home? Since he's a powerful wizard, perhaps he's set wards, but otherwise he's in absolutely the first place the assassination team will look.

Critical to Magus might be where Ellen will be. If she's home with Elliot, good for Magus. And perhaps good for Sirleck as well. But maybe Ellen will be at the mall with Nanase--not, of course,  to spy on Susan and Diane.

If either Rhoda or Catalina know about Diane and Susan meeting, they might be at the mall not-spying too.

What about Abner the detective? Any detective still wearing a fedora wouldn't stop digging on a case just because his client paid him off.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So where will Adrian Raven be? At home? Since he's a powerful wizard, perhaps he's set wards, but otherwise he's in absolutely the first place the assassination team will look.

Isn't Adrian supposed to be removing the dam  Friday Night? I could be wrong, but the attack on him is supposed to be Friday night and it sounds like it's going to be in a public place so Adrian would have to be out of the house. Though I guess Adrian could be removing the dam Saturday and he's going to be spending Friday night out on a Father/Son thing with Noah.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Critical to Magus might be where Ellen will be. If she's home with Elliot, good for Magus. And perhaps good for Sirleck as well. But maybe Ellen will be at the mall with Nanase--not, of course,  to spy on Susan and Diane.

Maybe Elliot and Ashley will be watching movies with Ellen and Nanase. That would be a good way to get Nanase to get to know Ashley and not be so suspicious of her. Plus it would have Elliot and Ellen together for Magus. Maybe he somehow gets Ellen to want to show off her beam in front of Ashley and zap Elliot?

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If either Rhoda or Catalina know about Diane and Susan meeting, they might be at the mall not-spying too.

I dunno if Diane would have told Rhoda, she doesn't know that Rhoda has magic, so she might not have wanted to mention anything to her for the same reason she's held back on saying anything to her family.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Isn't Adrian supposed to be removing the dam  Friday Night?

Maybe, but Pandora told Sarah just last night it would be "a few days" which kind of suggests more than one or even two. Pandora also told Sarah she wasn't going to tell her son about the discovery she'd made until Saturday--tomorrow, Moperville Time.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe Elliot and Ashley will be watching movies with Ellen and Nanase.

Only if Elliot and Ashley go to the multiplex with Sarah and Sam. Remember that Elliot and Ashley are planning to watching movies in his room. Possibly they might be planning or at each considering doing other things in his room. And for that reason I think Ellen would plan to be elsewhere with Nanase just as she planned to be elsewhere with Diane on the night of Elliot's first date with Ashley, when Nanase made that "too nice" remark to Ellen after meeting Ashley.

On the other hand, it's possible that Ellen and Nanase have also made plans to go to the multiplex without knowing Sarah will be there with Sam. And if Elliot forgets to tell Ellen about changing his plans for the evening, all six could wind up there.  Say, that sounds like it would provide wonderful opportunities for complications of the Dan kind.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I dunno if Diane would have told Rhoda, she doesn't know that Rhoda has magic, so she might not have wanted to mention anything to her for the same reason she's held back on saying anything to her family.

You have a point, although I think it's credible for Diane to tell Rhoda and Lucy things she doesn't share with her family. But given how freaked out both Diane and Susan were at their last appearances, I think Diane and maybe Susan too might bring along a friend or two to the meeting.  Susan would probably ask Ellen and/or Nanase, since they are the ones that persuaded her to meet Diane in the first place. I think Diane would ask both Rhoda and Lucy because she wouldn't want to leave either out. And, of course, Diane would tell them about the freaky stuff if she hasn't already. I hope Diane hasn't yet because I want to see a scene where she does spill the beans to Rhoda and/or Lucy. That would likely be the point where Diane and Lucy learn that Rhoda has magic.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We have several old coots in here who argue about the good old days where computers ran on transistors

Well, there are still transistors in todays computers, and not even just the integrated ones. The electron tubes, meanwhile, disappeared completely (the last one to go was the huge one in CRT). From house electronic I mean - there are some in military devices and similar stuff.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:
On 9/9/2017 at 0:45 AM, hkmaly said:

Well, close to: Mary Sue would fight Not-Tengu head on and win.

Neither did Nanase.  Their victory over Not-Tengu is a classic case of the indirect approach.  .

That's what I was saying. Mary Sue would win by directly beating him. Nanase won indirectly and needed Ellen to help - them being able to disperse was key part of plan.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I was kind of expecting pretty much everyone being at the mall for tonight's vampfest, but it looks like Dan is scattering his characters all over the place: Elliot and Ashley at Elliot's place; Sarah at the multiplex with Sam; and of course Diane and Susan at the mall food court. Grace should be working at Salty Crackers again, with Justin; maybe Tedd will be there too.

The mall MIGHT be at or near the mall, but Sarah's location is not important: what is important is that Elliot will not be near Susan.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Isn't Adrian supposed to be removing the dam  Friday Night? I could be wrong, but the attack on him is supposed to be Friday night and it sounds like it's going to be in a public place so Adrian would have to be out of the house. Though I guess Adrian could be removing the dam Saturday and he's going to be spending Friday night out on a Father/Son thing with Noah.

I don't think the dam is ready to be removed already. Meaning we have no idea where Adrian could be, with the Father/Son night being definite possibility.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Maybe Elliot and Ashley will be watching movies with Ellen and Nanase. That would be a good way to get Nanase to get to know Ashley and not be so suspicious of her. Plus it would have Elliot and Ellen together for Magus. Maybe he somehow gets Ellen to want to show off her beam in front of Ashley and zap Elliot?

Magus would definitely prefer to get Ellen and Elliot near, but his options HOW to do that are limited. I'm looking forward to what he plans to do ...

Only if Elliot and Ashley go to the multiplex with Sarah and Sam. Remember that Elliot and Ashley are planning to watching movies in his room. Possibly they might be planning or at each considering doing other things in his room. And for that reason I think Ellen would plan to be elsewhere with Nanase just as she planned to be elsewhere with Diane on the night of Elliot's first date with Ashley, when Nanase made that "too nice" remark to Ellen after meeting Ashley.

Yes ... the room might be big enough for both pairs but I don't think either of them would consider it good idea. Although note that the main reason Ellen planned to be elsewhere was to keep DIANE elsewhere.

On the other hand, it's possible that Ellen and Nanase have also made plans to go to the multiplex without knowing Sarah will be there with Sam. And if Elliot forgets to tell Ellen about changing his plans for the evening, all six could wind up there.  Say, that sounds like it would provide wonderful opportunities for complications of the Dan kind.

Very unlikely. Magus is not this powerful. There MIGHT be small chance if for some reason they change plans while the date is in progress - say, the TV stops working or something.

You have a point, although I think it's credible for Diane to tell Rhoda and Lucy things she doesn't share with her family. But given how freaked out both Diane and Susan were at their last appearances, I think Diane and maybe Susan too might bring along a friend or two to the meeting.  Susan would probably ask Ellen and/or Nanase, since they are the ones that persuaded her to meet Diane in the first place. I think Diane would ask both Rhoda and Lucy because she wouldn't want to leave either out.

Yes ; specially in this case there is additional reason to not tell her family, but she might reach out to Rhoda and Lucy - ESPECIALLY Rhoda, who pointed out their similarity - to have some friend around for support. And similarly, Susan might ask Ellen and/or Nanase because they persuaded her, although alternatively she may decide for Justin as someone more likely to support her.

And, of course, Diane would tell them about the freaky stuff if she hasn't already. I hope Diane hasn't yet because I want to see a scene where she does spill the beans to Rhoda and/or Lucy. That would likely be the point where Diane and Lucy learn that Rhoda has magic.

I agree that it's unlikely such event would appear offscreen (although it might appear as flashback and/or NP story). However, I don't think it's necessary to happen now. Or, possibly, it can happen by accident similarly like Ashley found Elliot is Cheerleadra - in fact, there is quite hight possibility for Rhoda finding out Susan has magic because the group will be attacked and Susan will be defending them, if Rhoda will be there. Which will also makes good opportunity for SUSAN finding out RHODA has magic.

I just realized something that might shed different light on Magus. Magus knows from Sister II that Adrian is Pandora's son. But Sirleck didn't know that Adrian was a half-Immortal until Voltaire, playing the part of Abner the detective, called Sirleck from that miraculously-still-existing pay phone near the end of So a Date at the Mall. Magus promised himself to destroy Pandora. But he refused to make Edward kill Abraham for Pandora.

I think maybe Magus doesn't know that Sirleck is targeting Adrian. Murdering a man simply because he's the son of his enemy doesn't strike me as Magus' style. His misgivings were about collateral damage. I think the instructions for vampire mercenaries were Sirleck's, not Magus'. After all, Sirleck is the paymaster here.

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I just realized something that might shed different light on Magus.

Unlikely, because ...

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Magus knows from Sister II that Adrian is Pandora's son. But Sirleck didn't know that Adrian was a half-Immortal until Voltaire, playing the part of Abner the detective, called Sirleck from that miraculously-still-existing pay phone near the end of So a Date at the Mall. Magus promised himself to destroy Pandora. But he refused to make Edward kill Abraham for Pandora.

I think maybe Magus doesn't know that Sirleck is targeting Adrian. Murdering a man simply because he's the son of his enemy doesn't strike me as Magus' style. His misgivings were about collateral damage. I think the instructions for vampire mercenaries were Sirleck's, not Magus'. After all, Sirleck is the paymaster here.

... this is not new. Obviously, Sirleck CHANGED the plan when he found about Adrian AND he didn't told Magus, because if he DID, Magus would tell him Adrian is son of Pandora, which would make Sirleck immediately change the plan to AVOID Adrian.

The part in instructions about not killing anyone else is still probably Magus's input.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well, there are still transistors in todays computers, and not even just the integrated ones.

And they run on those? My goodness. I have new respect for them now. I thought the current quad core CPUs ran on microchips, not transistors.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

So is it true that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain? :danshiftyeyes:

Well, we tried for "the rain in Plains falls mainly on the flames" but so far we haven't even gotten any rain for that to apply to.

(There's a big forest fire on a hilltop about 30 miles west of Plains MT. During the Sanders County Fair, in Plains, the flames were visible from the fairgrounds at night and there was ash falling all over everything. So some rain would be much appreciated.)