• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday September 8, 2017

15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well, there are still transistors in todays computers, and not even just the integrated ones.

And they run on those? My goodness. I have new respect for them now. I thought the current quad core CPUs ran on microchips, not transistors.

1) There is over 7.2 billion transistors in Intel Broadwell-EP Xeon - see wikipedia, page Transistor count. Ryzen has 4.8 billion transistors, reported here. Obviously, those transistors are "integrated", part of the microchip.

2) There are traditional visible-with-eye transistors on motherboard, along with capacitors. Google image search (I hope the link is persistent enough) will show you several with arrows pointing to them.

This one might be good example, it's from 2010 but motherboards didn't changed so much

616_021.jpg

This AM4 motherboard have several pieces looking very similar to the labelled-as-transistor ones in previous image:

AMD-AM4-Gigabyte-Motherboard-7.jpg

Look inside any power supply and you'll find some big honking transistors. For some electronics, size still matters.

My Navy was still working with a lot of tubes in the 70s and 80s. I worked mostly on radios, and they were largely 1950s tech. One of the planes I worked on in Spain had a big old radar first employed on B-29s. We called the tubes in that one "jugs" and for good reason; they could have held a gallon or more. The transmitter module was a particular pain. It weighed 440 pounds, and it was installed under the floor in the navigator's compartment in the EP-3s we were flying. This was an electronic intelligence version of the P-3 Orion antisubmarine plane, which in turn was based on a less-than-successful Lockheed turboprop airliner called the Electra II which had a disturbing habit of falling out of the sky. Anyway, like an airliner, it had a center aisle through most of the fuselage, and the only way in and out was a door on the port side, more or less on the other end of the aircraft from the navigator's cabin which was right behind the cockpit. You had to manhandle that 440-pound monster back and forth on that aisle; no room for a forklift. Oh, even more fun was lifting it out. Remember when I said it was under the floor? 

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe, but Pandora told Sarah just last night it would be "a few days" which kind of suggests more than one or even two. Pandora also told Sarah she wasn't going to tell her son about the discovery she'd made until Saturday--tomorrow, Moperville Time.

When Pandora stated that she wanted to tell Adrian Saturday about the lie that she's worried he'd hate her for, I assumed that she was going to wait till after he had removed the dam so that he wouldn't be distracted by what she said. Though I guess she'd likely have to tell him when it's time to remove the dam so maybe she's planning on staying with him through the process. I dunno.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Only if Elliot and Ashley go to the multiplex with Sarah and Sam. Remember that Elliot and Ashley are planning to watching movies in his room. Possibly they might be planning or at each considering doing other things in his room. And for that reason I think Ellen would plan to be elsewhere with Nanase just as she planned to be elsewhere with Diane on the night of Elliot's first date with Ashley, when Nanase made that "too nice" remark to Ellen after meeting Ashley.

On the other hand, it's possible that Ellen and Nanase have also made plans to go to the multiplex without knowing Sarah will be there with Sam. And if Elliot forgets to tell Ellen about changing his plans for the evening, all six could wind up there.  Say, that sounds like it would provide wonderful opportunities for complications of the Dan kind.

Thinking from a story standpoint, having a lot of characters around might complicate things too much. My thought that it would be Elliot/Ashley and Ellen/Nanase having lazy movie night together puts them in an isolated place which would allow them to talk about magic and stuff which would give Magus the opportunity to get Ellen to zap Elliot while Helena and Demetrius are distracted. If Elliot and Ashley end up going out and joining Sarah and Sam and then run into Ellen and Nanase, they'd be in a public place with someone who's not in the know (Sam) so the likelyhood of any zappage happening would drop> Ellen was able to barely resist zapping Elliot before, but if Ellen was in a more playful mood in a setting where magic can be used freely, she might not resist.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Thinking from a story standpoint, having a lot of characters around might complicate things too much. My thought that it would be Elliot/Ashley and Ellen/Nanase having lazy movie night together puts them in an isolated place which would allow them to talk about magic and stuff which would give Magus the opportunity to get Ellen to zap Elliot while Helena and Demetrius are distracted. If Elliot and Ashley end up going out and joining Sarah and Sam and then run into Ellen and Nanase, they'd be in a public place with someone who's not in the know (Sam) so the likelyhood of any zappage happening would drop> Ellen was able to barely resist zapping Elliot before, but if Ellen was in a more playful mood in a setting where magic can be used freely, she might not resist.

I'm not sure she can be in playful enough mode without alcohol being involved. Of course, the only way she would be using her beam in public would be in defense (and Elliot can somehow ended up being hit despite not being original target, I think Magus would be able to arrange that), but it may be still more likely than her transforming Elliot with Ashley present.

However, given Dan saying As much as people might throw things at me for this, we're not suddenly shifting focus to Sarah and Sam's date, as that's not the focus of this story, I find very likely that Sam will NOT get involved in today's problems. After all, Sarah should get opportunity to find out Sam is trans and then think about what would be right to do before something happens and Sam will find out regardless.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Thinking from a story standpoint, having a lot of characters around might complicate things too much.

Having too few magic-capable good guys around would be worse. There's really been only one fight against multiple opponents in EGS, the one at the gym with the fire guys, and that one was very hard for Grace and Greg, two ridiculously powerful characters. We've only seen Adrian in a fight with one opponent and he lost that fight. Even with Noah, his chances against a half-dozen vampires at once don't sound good to me.

Speaking of Noah, I'm wondering if those tonfas he uses are summonings. If so, he would qualify for the second bonus and could be targeted on his own. Noah doesn't look very threatening in his civvies.

And if anyone digs me about the final fight with Damien and his thralls, that was really just two fights, one with Nanase and Ellen against Vlad, and then the fight between Damien and Grace. Maybe without Damien, Grace's brothers and sister have done some work on fighting as a real team, but they didn't show any sign of it in Sister I.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Having two few magic-capable good guys around would be worse. I don't think many of the vampires/aberrations/whatevers would object to having some backup when attacking a half-immortal. There's really been only one fight against multiple opponents in EGS, the one at the gym with the fire guys, and that one was very hard for Grace and Greg, two ridiculously powerful characters. We've only seen Adrian in a fight with one opponent and he lost that fight. Even with Noah, his chances against a half-dozen vampires at once don't sound good to me.

I'm not talking about them being involved when crap hits the fan, yes, it's possible they will get involved, but Magus would probably prefer it if Elliot and Ellen weren't anywhere near ground zero to minimize the possibility of something going wrong, plus the further they are from Helena and Demetrius they are the better too. Also if crap hits the fan at the mall, chances are Susan will come to Adrian's aid and show off her new weapons.

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Speaking of Noah, I'm wondering if those tonfas he uses are summonings. If so, he would qualify for the second bonus and could be targeted on his own. Noah doesn't look very threatening in his civvies.

They are summoned weapons, they faded away when he dropped them after getting hit but the bulldog dragon. whether or not they're able to hurt aberrations are another question though but considering they're blunt weapons, they probably wouldn't do as much damage to an aberration than a magic sword or axe would anyway.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also if crap hits the fan at the mall, chances are Susan will come to Adrian's aid and show off her new weapons.

Why? As far as we know, Susan doesn't even know Adrian is Grace and Ellen's history teacher. Given that, the only way she'd unleash her powers to help Adrian is if someone else asked her or if he saw Adrian being attacked. Even Diane doesn't know that Mr. Raven is anything more than a cranky, tough old teacher.

Grace and Elliot can fly quickly to wherever. Susan can't unless she's got a spell we haven't heard of yet. The only likely way I presently see of Susan intervening in the attack on Adrian in time to do any good is if Adrian is also in the mall tonight.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

considering they're blunt weapons, they probably wouldn't do as much damage to an aberration than a magic sword or axe would anyway.

The third weapon in Susan's First Vampire Killing Kit was a mace. And Noah broke the neck of the bulldog dragon during that fight. That would have killed it if it wasn't a summoned creature. 

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also if crap hits the fan at the mall, chances are Susan will come to Adrian's aid and show off her new weapons.

Why? As far as we know, Susan doesn't even know Adrian is Grace and Ellen's history teacher. Given that, the only way she'd unleash her powers to help Adrian is if someone else asked her or if he saw Adrian being attacked. Even Diane doesn't know that Mr. Raven is anything more than a cranky, tough old teacher.

Grace and Elliot can fly quickly to wherever. Susan can't unless she's got a spell we haven't heard of yet. The only likely way I presently see of Susan intervening in the attack on Adrian in time to do any good is if Adrian is also in the mall tonight.

There is lot of things characters are telling each other without us knowing. Grace might not be telling about her attempt to save the boar, but Nanase likely didn't saw any reason why to NOT talk about Abrahams attack at school, INCLUDING the fight with Adrian.

Your second point, meanwhile, is quite more important. Susan doesn't have any mean of fast travel AND there is no reason anyone would be telling her about attack at Adrian except Elliot and Grace. So, unless Adrian happens to be in the mall, she may only get in the fight WITH Elliot and/or Grace - and if they would carry her flying, it would be WITHOUT Diane.

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

considering they're blunt weapons, they probably wouldn't do as much damage to an aberration than a magic sword or axe would anyway.

The third weapon in Susan's First Vampire Killing Kit was a mace. And Noah broke the neck of the bulldog dragon during that fight. That would have killed it if it wasn't a summoned creature. 

That mace didn't looked that much blunt. But yes, breaking neck should work - and yes, it would be less effective than sword.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Even though Diane and Adrian didn't see eye to eye at school, I really doubt she'd enjoy the idea of him being attacked by vampires.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Thing is, if the main cast is spread out, then there's not much of a chance of anyone getting to Adrian's aid in time, because they wouldn't likely hear that crap hit the fan until the news report, they can't all be clumped together either but at least one of them should be nearby. Considering Diane was insistent on waiting till Friday to meet Susan and that it should be done at the mall, I see that as foreshadowing that they will be at ground zero when crap hits the fan.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan doesn't have that original kit anymore, she had to make her own, and the closest thing to a mace in that kit is a baseball bat. Actually, she does have a crowbar, that probably the most powerful weapon she has. ;)

363?cb=20090103234048&path-prefix=en

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Even though Diane and Adrian didn't see eye to eye at school, I really doubt she'd enjoy the idea of him being attacked by vampires.

Neither do I, but Diane can't fight vampires yet--unless she, say, got a mark neither she or we know about yet.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I see that as foreshadowing that they will be at ground zero when crap hits the fan.

Ground Zero now seems to be wherever Adrian will be tonight. It kind of sounds like the plan is similar to the wolf pack tactics used by German U-boats in World War II. The way this worked is that the subs would be spread out, and when the first one sighted a convoy, instead of attacking immediately, it would radio headquarters which would vector in the rest of the U-boats in its group for a massed attack. The flaw in the mission instructions here is ordering the vampires to raise hell along the way to create a distraction. This is not something Admiral Doenitz' gray wolves would be doing; they would be approaching as stealthily as possible. The more destruction they create, the more likely Adrian will be on guard, and, of course, the more likely they will draw in Elliot, Grace, Ellen, Nanase, Greg, maybe Vladia if she's his new girlfriend, possibly Rhoda and Catalina (picture Rhoda shrinking a vampire and Cat-alina biting it's itty-bitty head off), Justin, maybe Wolf and Cranium, quite possibly Edward... and they'd all tend to converge on Ground Zero even as such vampires who are still alive and on-mission also converge on Ground Zero.

As for Noah's tonfas, their summoned magical weapons, and they would have been effective on a non-summoned bulldog dragon, something that seems tougher than any of the vampires we've seen so far.

BTW, I also think Adrian's exploding crows could count as summoned weapons. Vampires should be fair game under the rules for acceptable half-immortal behavior. I wonder how many he's killed over the centuries?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan doesn't have that original kit anymore, she had to make her own, and the closest thing to a mace in that kit is a baseball bat. Actually, she does have a crowbar, that probably the most powerful weapon she has. ;)

The idea was that Helena and Demetrius, immortals with hundreds of years experience fighting aberrations, though that mace is good weapon against them.

42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

It kind of sounds like the plan is similar to the wolf pack tactics used by German U-boats in World War II. The way this worked is that the subs would be spread out, and when the first one sighted a convoy, instead of attacking immediately, it would radio headquarters which would vector in the rest of the U-boats in its group for a massed attack.

And imagine how well it would work if the attacked submarine wouldn't get echo they are vectoring on it ... encryption which the enemy didn't hacked was key part of this plan.

45 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The flaw in the mission instructions here is ordering the vampires to raise hell along the way to create a distraction. This is not something Admiral Doenitz' gray wolves would be doing; they would be approaching as stealthily as possible. The more destruction they create, the more likely Adrian will be on guard, and, of course, the more likely they will draw in Elliot, Grace, Ellen, Nanase, Greg, maybe Vladia if she's his new girlfriend, possibly Rhoda and Catalina (picture Rhoda shrinking a vampire and Cat-alina biting it's itty-bitty head off), Justin, maybe Wolf and Cranium, quite possibly Edward... and they'd all tend to converge on Ground Zero even as such vampires who are still alive and on-mission also converge on Ground Zero.

Depends from which distance they would start making destruction. Yes, it is indeed possible they will start so far away they will get EVERYONE there. However, it would definitely be something Magus wouldn't plan ...

Note: bitting vampire's head sounds risky. I think that stepping on it would be better.

47 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As for Noah's tonfas, their summoned magical weapons, and they would have been effective on a non-summoned bulldog dragon, something that seems tougher than any of the vampires we've seen so far.

Also, they don't disappear after first hit like Susan's weapons.

47 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, I also think Adrian's exploding crows could count as summoned weapons. Vampires should be fair game under the rules for acceptable half-immortal behavior. I wonder how many he's killed over the centuries?

Vampires would be fair game even if they wouldn't attack him, and they would. He can act if the situation involves magic or is an immediate threat to himself or others. And Pandora would need to be very senile if she wouldn't teach her son something supereffective against vampires. Quite possibly he has even BETTER spell than the crows.

It wouldn't surprise me if Adrian would spent years fighting with vampires, that with his desire for protecting ... in fact, I'm surprised he didn't noticed any around yet.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

And imagine how well it would work if the attacked submarine wouldn't get echo they are vectoring on it ... encryption which the enemy didn't hacked was key part of this plan.

53 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The Kriegsmarine had the toughest ciphers and the best code security of all the services. Moreover, the B-dienst was almost always able to crack the merchant shipping codes easily, something the Allies didn't pick up on until the war was over. The real Achilles heel of the U-boat campaign was that it relied on the U-boats to send out so many radio messages, powerful transmissions that could be read at headquarters, which were in France for most of the war. The Allies equipped their destroyers with High Frequency Direction Finders which could sometimes triangulate on U-boats but which always gave them a direction and a rough estimate of the range. Huff-Duff was so important it often got the top-of-the-mast mounting instead of the radar.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The Kriegsmarine had the toughest ciphers and the best code security of all the services.

Yes, and they have them FIRST - Allies only reacted. And although Enigma had some cryptographic weaknesses, in practice it was German procedural flaws, operator mistakes, failure to systematically introduce changes in encipherment procedures, and Allied capture of key tables and hardware that, during the war, enabled Allied cryptologists to succeed and "turned the tide" in the Allies' favor.[7][8]

(Yes, that is copied directly from wikipedia.)

Still, British had Alan Turing and some other cryptoanalytics, build machines capable of cracking the messages almost automatically and near the end of war were able to decipher almost everything.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Adrian would spent years fighting with vampires, that with his desire for protecting ... in fact, I'm surprised he didn't noticed any around yet.

If Adrian had an obsession with killing vampires something like his mother's obsession with exterminating werewolves, it occurs to me that he might have passed it on to Noriko, who seems to be able to summon magic swords at will. That's likely what she spends a lot of her time doing in Europe, if she really is in Europe: killing vampires.

And maybe he decided to lay off actively looking for vampires after Noriko left Edward and Tedd.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

Thing is, if the main cast is spread out, then there's not much of a chance of anyone getting to Adrian's aid in time, because they wouldn't likely hear that crap hit the fan until the news report, they can't all be clumped together either but at least one of them should be nearby. Considering Diane was insistent on waiting till Friday to meet Susan and that it should be done at the mall, I see that as foreshadowing that they will be at ground zero when crap hits the fan.

363?cb=20090103234048&path-prefix=en

Crowbars are horrible weapons. If you miss your opponent gets a free shot at you. With a sword of a staff that's not an issue.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Your second point, meanwhile, is quite more important. Susan doesn't have any mean of fast travel AND there is no reason anyone would be telling her about attack at Adrian except Elliot and Grace. So, unless Adrian happens to be in the mall, she may only get in the fight WITH Elliot and/or Grace - and if they would carry her flying, it would be WITHOUT Diane.

Well, Nanase's fairydolls can be used as a spell to summon allies/reinforcements...

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Well, Nanase's fairydolls can be used as a spell to summon allies/reinforcements...

Yes, like in the climax of Painted Black. But the fairy Nanase didn't bring the cavalry back until after the battle was over. And unlike Susan, Nanase's real body is helpless while she's using her fairy, and she only has one. Both Susan and Nanase would be better off using their phones if they can.

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Adrian had an obsession with killing vampires something like his mother's obsession with exterminating werewolves, it occurs to me that he might have passed it on to Noriko, who seems to be able to summon magic swords at will. That's likely what she spends a lot of her time doing in Europe, if she really is in Europe: killing vampires.

I don't think it was obsession. He might still talk about it in way which made it obsession for Noriko.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Yes, like in the climax of Painted Black. But the fairy Nanase didn't bring the cavalry back until after the battle was over. And unlike Susan, Nanase's real body is helpless while she's using her fairy, and she only has one. Both Susan and Nanase would be better off using their phones if they can.

Susan can only create the fairies around her, though. So yes, they both should be using phones, it would be safer - and it's not like using fairy could bring the allies in faster.

I just had another thought about the instructions given to the vampire mercs. Why would destruction be encouraged? That's the kind of thing that can attact the authorities, reporters, gossip...in other words, people who can help expose magic. Who do we know who wants magic to change?

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I just had another thought about the instructions given to the vampire mercs. Why would destruction be encouraged? That's the kind of thing that can attact the authorities, reporters, gossip...in other words, people who can help expose magic. Who do we know who wants magic to change?

Voltaire - and Arthur Arthur. I don't think either helped Sirleck with the instructions, though. No, the destruction is to attract Helena and Demetrius.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Voltaire - and Arthur Arthur. I don't think either helped Sirleck with the instructions, though. No, the destruction is to attract Helena and Demetrius.

Maybe, maybe not. Has anyone considered the possibility that Voltaire might be in cahoots with Arthur Arthur? Even if not, Voltaire has some grand scheme and forcing magic to change and perhaps controlling that change could be part of it. Voltaire could be observing Sirleck at at any time, and he's a shapechanger and good at imitating voices. If he wants to subvert the vampires to his own purposes, I think he could do it. And since Arthur Arthur is in charge of things paranormal for Moperville and probably the whole Chicago metropolitan area, he would be an ideal tool for Voltaire to frustrate Edward and direct the other Men in Black under Arthur to act in ways that fit Voltaire's Plan CM.

Maybe, maybe not. Has anyone considered the possibility that Voltaire might be in cahoots with Arthur Arthur?

Yes, I was already answering that. In short, Voltaire might be manipulating Arthur Arthur indirectly (or trying to), but Arthur Arthur definitely doesn't know him.

Voltaire could be observing Sirleck at at any time, and he's a shapechanger and good at imitating voices. If he wants to subvert the vampires to his own purposes, I think he could do it.

He is unlikely to do something which could reveal him, ESPECIALLY when everything goes almost exactly as he wants anyway. How much commotion vampires cause before getting to Adrian is not important for his plan: the fight with Adrian will be visible enough anyway.

And since Arthur Arthur is in charge of things paranormal for Moperville and probably the whole Chicago metropolitan area, he would be an ideal tool for Voltaire to frustrate Edward and direct the other Men in Black under Arthur to act in ways that fit Voltaire's Plan CM.

Remember that Voltaire is frustrated how hard is for him to influence anyone. Sure he would like to control Arthur Arthur, but if he would be able to do that, there would be no reason for him to be frustrated. Also, he wouldn't need to spend time on griffin. Any influence Voltaire might have on Arthur Arthur must be very indirect.

That said, I can totally imagine that Arthur Arthur based his strategy on incomplete informations about magic reset VOLTAIRE edited and made sure he'll get.

(Possibly before he was replaced by Edward: Imagine how Voltaire must've felt when the person he misinformed didn't acted on this misinformation and was replaced ... but maybe not ; maybe he NEEDED to wait before Tedd is in "right" state of mind before triggering the reset).

Just now, hkmaly said:

How much commotion vampires cause before getting to Adrian is not important for his plan: the fight with Adrian will be visible enough anyway.

The vampires could have been told to lure Adrian into a dark alley to kill him and no one would notice until the body was found (if there was anything left of him), or Noah says something, though Noah would likely go to one of the main eight first who would then probably tell Edward.

So the commotion is certainly important for drawing out Helena and Demetrius, maybe Sirleck figures that by attacking whom he believes is the son of one of them, they'd be more inclined to get involved directly rather than try to find someone to guide into fighting vampires. I think he'd be partially right in that regard, an Immortal would be inclined to get involved directly, just not the Immortal he thinks it'd be.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

The vampires could have been told to lure Adrian into a dark alley to kill him and no one would notice until the body was found (if there was anything left of him), or Noah says something, though Noah would likely go to one of the main eight first who would then probably tell Edward.

Nah, that fight must have gotten people's attention - ... ok, maybe.

Sirleck of course doesn't know about Noah, but that's not important - the dark alley tactic might be missed by Helena and Demetrius even if Adrian would really be their son, so yes for Sirleck is important to cause commotion.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

So the commotion is certainly important for drawing out Helena and Demetrius, maybe Sirleck figures that by attacking whom he believes is the son of one of them, they'd be more inclined to get involved directly rather than try to find someone to guide into fighting vampires. I think he'd be partially right in that regard, an Immortal would be inclined to get involved directly, just not the Immortal he thinks it'd be.

Meanwhile, Voltaire's main target is PANDORA and the commotion SHE will make. I don't think that would be limited to that hypothetical dark alley.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, Voltaire's main target is PANDORA and the commotion SHE will make. I don't think that would be limited to that hypothetical dark alley.

Well, Voltaire did call his plan a complicated mess, it certainly sounds likely to live up to it's name.