• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Star Trek DS9 versus B5

On 9/19/2017 at 5:45 PM, hkmaly said:

Buuut ... wouldn't this be reason to send LUCAS to hell, instead of Jar Jar?

Hey now!  No matter what you think of the prequels, George Lucas gave us the whole Star Wars universe.  The thanks he deserves for that outweighs anything on the other side of the scales.  He also led the creation of too many entirely new filming techniques to count; movies would be very much poorer without Industrial Light and Magic.  And he helped boost the sci-fi genre from an occasionally-profitable niche to a juggernaut capable of breaking box office records.  They probably wouldn't have taken a chance on reviving Star Trek to make movies without Star Wars (Close Encounters was proof that Star Wars wasn't just a fluke, but without Star Wars it would have been Close Encounters that was seen as a fluke).  No movie success, and the series fades into obscurity, no TNG, no DS9.

The world owes George Lucas more than enough of a debt to give him a pass on whatever parts of the prequels you didn't like.  They're just three movies, people!  Get over it!

Oh, and by the way, it's "Anakin".

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hey now!  No matter what you think of the prequels, George Lucas gave us the whole Star Wars universe.  The thanks he deserves for that outweighs anything on the other side of the scales.  He also led the creation of too many entirely new filming techniques to count; movies would be very much poorer without Industrial Light and Magic.  And he helped boost the sci-fi genre from an occasionally-profitable niche to a juggernaut capable of breaking box office records.  They probably wouldn't have taken a chance on reviving Star Trek to make movies without Star Wars (Close Encounters was proof that Star Wars wasn't just a fluke, but without Star Wars it would have been Close Encounters that was seen as a fluke).  No movie success, and the series fades into obscurity, no TNG, no DS9.

The world owes George Lucas more than enough of a debt to give him a pass on whatever parts of the prequels you didn't like.  They're just three movies, people!  Get over it!

This is not even mentioning all the stuff that got created due to people being inspired by Star Wars. And one funny little detail. ILM was originally created due to Lucas deciding that it would be cheaper to create his own special effects company from scratch than hiring outside professionals. Now, remember a little film trilogy called Lord of the Rings? They had their special effects produced by a company called WETA.

WETA was originally founded by Peter Jackson and two of his friends because it was cheaper to create their own special effects company than using ILM. What goes around comes around. :icon_eek:

To throw in my two cents about Episode 1, I think it was an okay movie. Not a good one, but not really a bad one either. Just okay. The problem was that many Star Wars fans were expecting a great movie. When the movie didn't meat that high bar of quality, that colored their perceptions of it. That's the problem with expectations and hype. The right amount of hype can do good for a production, too little hype can leave the production starving for an audience, but too much hype can poison the production. And it's not just movies that happens to. I've seen it happen to videogames as well.

17 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Lucas also pioneered the infamous endless line of products that tie in with a movie.  He did that with Return of the Jedi.  Endor was not the Wookie home planet because Lucas and Marketing wanted teddy bears that could be sold to kids.

12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This is not even mentioning all the stuff that got created due to people being inspired by Star Wars. And one funny little detail. ILM was originally created due to Lucas deciding that it would be cheaper to create his own special effects company from scratch than hiring outside professionals. Now, remember a little film trilogy called Lord of the Rings? They had their special effects produced by a company called WETA.

WETA was originally founded by Peter Jackson and two of his friends because it was cheaper to create their own special effects company than using ILM. What goes around comes around. :icon_eek:

We really do need to hold both sides in our head at once.  Lucas blazed the trail to a lot of new and marvelous technologies and later abused them.  There's no excuse for Lucas going back through his Ep 1, 2, 3 actors' performances and digitally altering them, but he did it.  Han shot first, OK?

4 hours ago, Drasvin said:

To throw in my two cents about Episode 1, I think it was an okay movie. Not a good one, but not really a bad one either. Just okay. The problem was that many Star Wars fans were expecting a great movie. When the movie didn't meat that high bar of quality, that colored their perceptions of it. That's the problem with expectations and hype. The right amount of hype can do good for a production, too little hype can leave the production starving for an audience, but too much hype can poison the production. And it's not just movies that happens to. I've seen it happen to videogames as well.

I disagree while respecting your right to hold that view.  One word sums up why:

Midichloreons.

I came out of the theater convinced that Lucas had peed on his creation in order to mark territory.  Star Wars was his, not ours.  By the time I saw Ep 1 I had already coined the term "Gene Roddenberry's Syndrome" for myself to describe a creator who evolves to become toxic to his own creation.  (Roddenberry was most certainly toxic to Star Trek when he wrote and altered scripts for the first 3 seasons of The Next Generation)  Then I started seeing other examples of GRS in other creators and decided it was a thing that needed naming.  After ep1, I decided Lucas had the most advanced case of GRS of any creator on the planet.

8 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I disagree while respecting your right to hold that view.  One word sums up why:

Midichloreons.

You mean Midi-chlorians. Yes. And it surprises me when it needs to be mentioned on EGS forum given EGS itself mentioned it.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:54 AM, CritterKeeper said:

The world owes George Lucas more than enough of a debt to give him a pass on whatever parts of the prequels you didn't like.

That's true.

However, I'm sure the issue was already addressed and answered in other content. Can someone experienced in catholic doctrine confirm what would happen to priest who helps save lot of people and then later kills someone and commits suicide?