• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Wednesday September 13, 2017

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think Nanase is joking in that panel. However, Susan IS capable of puppydog eyes.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Remember when Ellen told Diane that she thinks the camera does things to her? I'd bet it's actually Elliot after today.

Yes. Also, yes: it totally seem to be Elliot.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, partner555 said:

Remember when Ellen told Diane that she thinks the camera does things to her? I'd bet it's actually Elliot after today.

Yes. Also, yes: it totally seem to be Elliot.

He does seem to have that sort of effect.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think Nanase is joking in that panel. However, Susan IS capable of puppydog eyes.

The conditions have to be just right for it to happen, like the possibility of not getting to geek out over Star Trek with someone. Elliot doesn't know it, but he was really close to seeing Susan with puppy dog eyes, but he went and stated a need to watch some TNG which Susan was more "excited puppy" about.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Susan is one of my favourite characters in any comic and I love her interactions with Elliot. Today's comic gives a good example of why. I am very much looking forward to her encounter with Diane.

I am hoping the encounter (well its first or second page) ends with another panel of the Astronaut Uryuom, and possibly the space shark ;)

Reading the commentary again, I noticed that Dan might be mistaken that Susan has exhausted the number of people she can ask about Diane. I mean it's likely too late now, but she could have asked Grace, I don't think Grace would have said anything that Justin held back on, but she could have mentioned how Diane's been protective of Rhoda, and maybe Grace has other insights that would help Susan. I kinda feel like there'd be a missed opportunity if Grace or Ellen didn't tell Susan about the first time they met Diane and thought she was the product of Susan touching the dewitchery diamond, Ellen did text Susan but nothing beyond that. Elliot could probably suggest that comparing Susan to Diane could be like comparing him and Ellen in terms of similar yet different. Susan's also in a unique position to maybe ask Elliot to morph into Diane so that she could see for herself if there's any resemblance before meeting her.

I dunno if Susan has considered it, but her and Diane grew up in completely different environments so one should expect them to have different views on things like males for instance, Susan's gotten better over the past year and frankly, Diane's been trying to change as well.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Reading the commentary again, I noticed that Dan might be mistaken that Susan has exhausted the number of people she can ask about Diane. I mean it's likely too late now, but she could have asked Grace, I don't think Grace would have said anything that Justin held back on, but she could have mentioned how Diane's been protective of Rhoda, and maybe Grace has other insights that would help Susan.

Grace likely doesn't have more experience with Diane than Ellen, BUT she's likely to have more insight based on that, yes.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I kinda feel like there'd be a missed opportunity if Grace or Ellen didn't tell Susan about the first time they met Diane and thought she was the product of Susan touching the dewitchery diamond, Ellen did text Susan but nothing beyond that. Elliot could probably suggest that comparing Susan to Diane could be like comparing him and Ellen in terms of similar yet different. Susan's also in a unique position to maybe ask Elliot to morph into Diane so that she could see for herself if there's any resemblance before meeting her.

I don't think she needs more informations about Diane's LOOK. She has mirror - and watches for different height. She's asking about her character.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think she needs more informations about Diane's LOOK. She has mirror - and watches for different height. She's asking about her character.

I know, I was just thinking that Elliot's shapeshifting could have been used when everyone was all "she looks like you". Though it would be amusing if Susan used the height watch to make her 5'6" again before meeting Diane, Diane's expecting Susan to loom over her, but maybe that would be for another time.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Though it would be amusing if Susan used the height watch to make her 5'6" again before meeting Diane, Diane's expecting Susan to loom over her, but maybe that would be for another time.

35 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm thinking Susan might want to use the watch that allows her to change her hair color to its original blonde.

I'm thinking that she should use BOTH during the meeting. It's not like her using magic would surprise Diane. But she should arrive as herself.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm also wondering how many fairies Susan will have in her purse.

Well she can't fit all of them. Might even actually only fit one.

Note that it's not like she couldn't summon all of them if the place she meets Diane in would be private enough ... but, question is what to do with them when going in public.

Possi

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well she can't fit all of them. Might even actually only fit one.

Have you considered these possibilities?

• Susan could use a larger purse.
  • Susan could use her backpack

Remember that her fairies explode if she unsummons them instead of waiting for them to unsummon on their own, and it kind of seems that, like her sword, she summons them unconsciously sometimes. Also, how long to they persist now? Quite possibly they persist longer now. Taking them with her in some kind of bag strikes me as a better solution than leaving them at home where her mom could find them while she's gone, in her van in a parking lot, etc.

This isn't actually relevant to your comment, but I wonder if Rhoda's magic could shrink fairies? A Barbie-sized fairie shrunk to 1/7 its normal height would be something like 4 cm or an inch-and-a-half tall.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This isn't actually relevant to your comment, but I wonder if Rhoda's magic could shrink fairies? A Barbie-sized fairie shrunk to 1/7 its normal height would be something like 4 cm or an inch-and-a-half tall.

Would be an interesting experiment, though it could end with unexpected results. Susan's fairies are already from the unexpected results that happen when you mix magic from two different people. Mixing in the magic of a third person might cause excessive weirdness. Though we won't know until it's done and weirdness isn't always bad.

Well, she can have multiple fairies now. Originally she could only have one thing from her box at a time. So it's not exactly the same, unchanged, spell. Either it's a different spell (specific to fairydolls?) of the same spell with more options.

Maybe she has non-explosive early-unsummoning options as well.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Rhoda's magic could shrink fairies? A Barbie-sized fairie shrunk to 1/7 its normal height would be something like 4 cm or an inch-and-a-half tall.

That's a very good question!  A smaller fairy could be useful, especially if Susan can get enough feedback from it to explore places she's locked out of.  Perhaps shrink down, sneak in the same routes mice and roaches do, and then go back to normal size once inside?

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Would be an interesting experiment, though it could end with unexpected results. Susan's fairies are already from the unexpected results that happen when you mix magic from two different people. Mixing in the magic of a third person might cause excessive weirdness. Though we won't know until it's done and weirdness isn't always bad.

Side effects could be fun, for us at least.  Maybe end up shrinking Susan as well?  Tiny Susan couldn't fly, but she could still sneak into places and see and hear things.  Hmm, if Susan shrank could Nanase's fairydoll carry her?

36 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Well, she can have multiple fairies now. Originally she could only have one thing from her box at a time. So it's not exactly the same, unchanged, spell. Either it's a different spell (specific to fairydolls?) [or] the same spell with more options.

Option to not explode would be good; I picture her gaining that one at an appropriately dramatic moment.  Maybe once her spell was introduced to the idea of changing sizes of doll, her next upgrade would be shrinking them herself, or even growing them!  Perhaps her fairies can summon magic weapons?  (Any other Dresden Files fans here?)  I could see that working either with them summoning to-scale versions of Susan's weapons or with Susan adding some plastic cocktail swords and boxcutters to her chest.

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think not. Non-exploding fairies wouldn't be as entertaining. It would like putting seat belts on the bridge chairs in Star Trek and fixing them to the deck. When asked why that wasn't done, Gene Roddenberry replied that if he did that, the actors wouldn't fall out of their chairs.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

but I wonder if Rhoda's magic could shrink fairies? A Barbie-sized fairie shrunk to 1/7 its normal height would be something like 4 cm or an inch-and-a-half tall.

And then put a shrunken fairy in Susan's box, have her summon a copy of it, and shrink that.

2940045137812_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

(Sad to say, the cover is vastly better than the book.)