• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday September 27, 2017

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could Francine be Sirleck's latest host? Sirleck would be quite interested in where Ellen will be tonight.

That was my first thought too.   I find the thought more horrifying than if it were a main character.  There's more hope that Sirleck could be peeled off a main character.

Something about that last panel tore me up as well.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Something about that last panel tore me up as well.

Come to think of it, if Francine was possessed, would she know about it? Dan has never explained exactly what happens to Sirleck's hosts. I think that Sirleck's eventually killing a host if he uses them for two long is a given, but is the host aware of being possessed after all? I don't think so; Sirleck really would have a lot of trouble re-acquiring the same host if they could remember his presence while they were possessed. But do they remember anything at all? Having a big memory gap would be a pretty good excuse for hiding out in the toilet for awhile.

Uncomfortably close to twenty years ago I created a monster for my first Sailor Moon fanfic that possessed already evil people and amplified their evilness (it actually brought back a dead serial killer.) From the first time I saw Sirleck, I thought he was something like that monster because it seemed the nasty old man he was keeping alive was probably a nasty old man before Sirleck (and a nasty younger man before that.) But Francine doesn't seem to be that nasty from Brad's concern for her. So maybe she would be feeling worse than a host like that a host like the nasty old rich guy after being "ridden" by Sirleck.

Another question is how long it takes Sirleck to learn to play the part of his new host convincingly. Does he use those tendrils to burrow into the minds of his victims and read memories? If so, how quickly? Choosing a janitor, a type that a lot of people don't pay attention to, would be a good choice for a temporary host. They also work in empty rooms a lot, and even in otherwise vacant buildings before or after regular hours. 

It's canon that body snatcher aberrations like Sirleck are only visible on the spirit plane when they are using a host. But Sirleck was visible on the mortal plane when he was about to possess the butler, which happened in a room with only the butler and the dead body of the former host. This would seem to tie into the requirement that aberrations always have to assume a monstrous form when attacking even if they can pose as normal people.

Which is kind of puzzling because the butler in that scene sees the old man standing up before falling down. Was the brain-dead old guy able to stand up for just a few moments before collapsing? Or was Sirleck able to stay invisible until a few seconds before he made his attack?

If Sirleck was able to flit around invisibly as long as he wasn't making an attack, he wouldn't need to "be" the butler or Francine the janitor or anyone to spy on people. In fact, it seems he's usually invisible to Immortals, which could explain why body snatchers like himself are Number One on the Immortal hit list: One must not miss any opportunity to take out such a hard-to-detect pest.

So the backstory I have in mind for Francine as Sirleck's latest host choice is that Sirleck couldn't really hang out as the butler at any place Ellen would be guaranteed to spend time at on this crucial Friday, so he finessed a time and place to possess Francine when and where there wouldn't be witnesses.

Incidentally, I wonder if aberrations are visible on security cameras? Or for that matter, in mirrors?

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Come to think of it, if Francine was possessed, would she know about it? Dan has never explained exactly what happens to Sirleck's hosts. I think that Sirleck's eventually killing a host if he uses them for two long is a given, but is the host aware of being possessed after all? I don't think so; Sirleck really would have a lot of trouble re-acquiring the same host if they could remember his presence while they were possessed. But do they remember anything at all? Having a big memory gap would be a pretty good excuse for hiding out in the toilet for awhile.

Uncomfortably close to twenty years ago I created a monster for my first Sailor Moon fanfic that possessed already evil people and amplified their evilness (it actually brought back a dead serial killer.) From the first time I saw Sirleck, I thought he was something like that monster because it seemed the nasty old man he was keeping alive was probably a nasty old man before Sirleck (and a nasty younger man before that.)

Another question is how long it takes Sirleck to learn to play the part of his new host convincingly. Does he use those tendrils to burrow into the minds of his victims and read memories? If so, how quickly? Choosing a janitor, a type that a lot of people don't pay attention to, would be a good choice for a temporary host. They also work in empty rooms a lot, and even in otherwise vacant buildings before or after regular hours. 

It's canon that body snatcher aberrations like Sirleck are only visible on the spirit plane when they are using a host. But Sirleck was visible on the mortal plane when he was about to possess the butler, which happened in a room with only the butler and the dead body of the former host. This would seem to tie into the requirement that aberrations always have to assume a monstrous form when attacking even if they can pose as normal people.

Which is kind of puzzling because the butler in that scene sees the old man standing up before falling down. Was the brain-dead old guy able to stand up for just a few moments before collapsing? Or was Sirleck able to stay invisible until a few seconds before he made his attack?

If Sirleck was able to flit around invisibly as long as he wasn't making an attack, he wouldn't need to "be" the butler or Francine the janitor or anyone to spy on people. In fact, it seems he's usually invisible to Immortals, which could explain why body snatchers like himself are Number One on the Immortal hit list: One must not miss any opportunity to take out such a hard-to-detect pest.

So the backstory I have in mind for Francine as Sirleck's latest host choice is that Sirleck couldn't really hang out as the butler at any place Ellen would be guaranteed to spend time at on this crucial Friday, so he finessed a time and place to possess Francine when and where there wouldn't be witnesses.

Incidentally, I wonder if aberrations are visible on security cameras? Or for that matter, in mirrors?

That's a lot to go through.  I seem to remember Sirleck complaining that he couldn't leave his rich but brain-dead host or the host would die, which implies that he could leave other hosts.  Which in turn implies that Sirleck has some way of keeping his hosts or victims ignorant of his presence once he leaves.  The fact that he complained about being stuck with his rich old host suggests that he is used to leaving and coming back. 

Perhaps like other vampires we have seen, Sirleck really needs more than any single host can give and he flits from victim to victim gathering sustenance before returning to his long-term host.  If true then Sirleck was in the uncomfortable position of having to give energy to his rich old host rather than take it.  He might be hungry now.

If Sirleck's old host was standing, it should be that Sirleck made him stand before Sirleck left the old man.  I tend to think that was all diversion so Sirleck could de-cloak and attack the Butler without the Butler being aware of what happened.

But if all of the above is true, and Sirleck is why Francine is sitting alone in a woman's room, what's going on with her?  A Sirleck possession should be a done deal against a normal human.  Maybe she's giving Sirleck trouble of some kind?  Maybe this is her waking up after being attacked?

While I am concerned with Francine-the-janitor-I-just-learned-about, and curious what's going on with her (I assume it has to do with the Aberration plot, though I'm not convinced just yet that it's Sirleck himself), the part about this comic that interests me the most is the opening caption. We're really getting close now (in-story at least) to the dates, the meeting between Susan and Diane, and the culmination of Magus and Sirleck's plan.

I've been waiting to see Magus resurrected (and find out how that resurrection works and if there's any consequences) for over eleven years now, and the thought that I may finally see it within the next few months is getting me rather excited.

We know that Sirleck enjoyed having a good-looking young secretary. This suggests he's able to enjoy the pleasurable sensations of the host body. Conversely, he would be stuck with the unpleasant sensations of the host body, of which the brain-dead nasty old guy would have had many. The only reason Sirleck would have kept that host so long would be to suck as much of his host's wealth away before abandoning ship.

Perhaps the nicer the host, the worse the host will feel after Sirleck moves on? An inner struggle between Francine's mind/soul and Sirleck's would fit in with classic possession lore, but it would likely also mean that Francine would remember Sirleck was in her mind.

Except for eavesdropping, we don't know if Francine has done anything really troubling. For all we know, Francine listens in on students and other staff all the time. And the only thing that we've heard our Moperville South crew say this Friday that had any hint of real weirdness was Ellen telling Nanase about an inhuman-looking voyeur.

I wonder if Dan has considered whether or not Francine has been working at Moperville South long enough to catch Nanase floating or even hear rumors about it? As far as we know Nanase hasn't done that in school since before the fight with Abraham in Sister II last spring. Or if Francine knows about Ellen and Nanase solving mysteries like the Mall Goblin and the Ghost of the Locker Room.

I've seen a lot of references to Sirleck's former host as being a nasty, bad person.  Do we actually know this to be true?  Could he have been a kindly grandfather, a philanthropist and mentor, who only started pulling crap like making his secretary dance for him after Sirleck took control?

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I've seen a lot of references to Sirleck's former host as being a nasty, bad person.  Do we actually know this to be true?  Could he have been a kindly grandfather, a philanthropist and mentor, who only started pulling crap like making his secretary dance for him after Sirleck took control?

I think that unlikely. Sirleck used the old man for a long time, and acting like someone who has empathy would be difficult and distasteful to Sirleck. Any man that rich would have lots of important people watching him, and even if none of them figured out what was really going on, he could have lots and lots of trouble with his businesses if his behavior changed radically. Trouble like loans being called in, credit ratings downgraded, stock prices falling, unwelcome investigation from the authorities, hostile takeover atempts, etc. On the other hand, if the old man was already well established as a selfish jerk and still got and stayed rich, the people who worked with him before to some mutual profit would go on holding their noses to make even more money and/or avoid making him angry enough to crush them.

Once again, something new occured to me. Ellen and Elliot's parents are going to be out tonight. Has anyone else wondered how much magic potential one or both have? Maybe even that certain gift that might get them targeted?

Thanks to Pandora, we now know for certain Nanase's mom has at least very high magic potential. What about Susan's mom? If she is Susan's biological mother, then the likelyhood is high that she has potential. And if Adrian Raven is Susan's biological father, and Mrs. Pompoms knows about his true nature, and maybe about the mess with Nanase's mom too, it could help explain any of:

• Why Susan goes to Moperville North instead of South.
  • Why Mrs. Pompoms doesn't seem to have a clue about Susan's magic, even though Susan's fairy has been flying around her house since the last spring break.
  • Why Mrs. Pompoms doesn't seem to have noticed that Susan turned blonde twice, once after Ellen FV-5'd her on her first visit, and again when she came home from Grace's birthday party.
  • Why Principal Verrucht was so terrified by Mrs. Pompoms when she bullied him into letting Susan go on that trip to France.
  • How Mrs. Pompoms is able to maintain an enormous mansion without any staff that we've ever seen or even heard mentioned.
  • That improbable couch with the adjustable-height back. To work without magic as it was drawn, it would have to retract beneath the floor.
  • Mexican radio on the Pompoms' intercom. Possibly a spell backfire, or maybe a curse by another witch?

16 hours ago, Stature said:

So she IS important.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

And she is a new character.

Which nobody guessed if I remember correctly. One or the other, yes, but not this combination.

6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could Francine be Sirleck's latest host? Sirleck would be quite interested in where Ellen will be tonight.

That was my first thought too.

My first though was "she's newly turned vampire". Then I remembered EGS vampires can't turn people to vampires and though about Sirleck. Although she can just as easily be victim of some other aberration ...

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Having a big headache and just waking up would be even better. I think that Sirleck moved her to the toilet and detached, which made her unconscious, and she's now slowly getting back to her senses.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Dan has considered whether or not Francine has been working at Moperville South long enough to catch Nanase floating or even hear rumors about it? As far as we know Nanase hasn't done that in school since before the fight with Abraham in Sister II last spring. Or if Francine knows about Ellen and Nanase solving mysteries like the Mall Goblin and the Ghost of the Locker Room.

And if she knows, did Sirleck get this memory? Even if he would be able to, it is possible he didn't bothered.

59 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think that unlikely. Sirleck used the old man for a long time, and acting like someone who has empathy would be difficult and distasteful to Sirleck. Any man that rich would have lots of important people watching him, and even if none of them figured out what was really going on, he could have lots and lots of trouble with his businesses if his behavior changed radically. Trouble like loans being called in, credit ratings downgraded, stock prices falling, unwelcome investigation from the authorities, hostile takeover atempts, etc. On the other hand, if the old man was already well established as a selfish jerk and still got and stayed rich, the people who worked with him before to some mutual profit would go on holding their noses to make even more money and/or avoid making him angry enough to crush them.

Holding their noses? If he was selfish jerk, the people around him would likely also be selfish jerks and wouldn't see anything weird on working with other selfish jerks if they get enough from it.

And yes, I agree: especially in case of old people, radical change of behaviour would be noticed.

34 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Once again, something new occured to me. Ellen and Elliot's parents are going to be out tonight. Has anyone else wondered how much magic potential one or both have? Maybe even that certain gift that might get them targeted?

I was wondering if one or both of them have some magic, however I don't think it would be summoning, as Elliot doesn't seem to have such talent.

If she is Susan's biological mother, then the likelyhood is high that she has potential.

Either Susan's mother OR her father, it's not necessary for BOTH having it - and in fact, the signs point to father.

Why Mrs. Pompoms doesn't seem to have a clue about Susan's magic, even though Susan's fairy has been flying around her house since the last spring break.

That might be easily explained by the amount of alcohol in her blood. OR by the fact the house is big enough to hide not only fairy but elephant.

Why Principal Verrucht was so terrified by Mrs. Pompoms when she bullied him into letting Susan go on that trip to France.

Money. And possibly being friends with other important people, like in city council or something. Or maybe SHE is in city council.

• That improbable couch with the adjustable-height back. To work without magic as it was drawn, it would have to retract beneath the floor.
  • Mexican radio on the Pompoms' intercom. Possibly a spell backfire, or maybe a curse by another witch?

... ok, this MIGHT be signs of magic ... although not necessary Mrs. Pompoms magic.

What if both the couch and the intercom are something left from Mr. Pompoms? (Who, I would add, is very unlikely to be Adrian Raven. Maybe his son, more likely grandson.)

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That was my first thought too.

My first though was "she's newly turned vampire". Then I remembered EGS vampires can't turn people to vampires and though about Sirleck. Although she can just as easily be victim of some other aberration ...

I don't think she's the victim of another aberration, that would imply that there's an aberration roaming the halls of MSHS, we've already seen the "security system" that the school has, it makes me wonder if there are other wards and such that Adrian's put in place to protect the students since the encounter with Abraham.

Also last we saw Sirleck, he jumped to the old man's butler, there's no indication that he's jumped bodies again and while yes, I do believe the butler is a temporary host, it wouldn't make sense to me to see Sirleck jump to the butler and then suddenly be told he already dumped him off panel for someone else without even doing anything with the butler? I can't buy the theory of Sirleck having possessed Francine. Also we still do not know if parasitic aberrations can leave a host without killing them.

46 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That might be easily explained by the amount of alcohol in her blood.

I don't think it's fair to say she's an alcoholic base on the one time we saw her with a glass of wine in her hand. It was a Friday night, it's not unheard of to have a couple drinks at the end of a work week.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Why Principal Verrucht was so terrified by Mrs. Pompoms when she bullied him into letting Susan go on that trip to France.

Money. And possibly being friends with other important people, like in city council or something. Or maybe SHE is in city council.

Maybe she's just a strong willed woman and Principle Verrucht is easily persuaded by females.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe she's just a strong willed woman and Principle Verrucht is easily persuaded by females.

You mean like Susan?  Well, unless the female makes puppy dog eyes. I can't see Susan's mom doing that any more than I can see Susan doing that.

Unless maybe Diane teaches Susan how...

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also we still do not know if parasitic aberrations can leave a host without killing them.

Yes, we do know. Sirleck complained about not being able to "take a break" because his host would die as soon as he left his body.

To clarify, I'm not married to Francine being possessed. But it does seem to be a good guess for the reasons I've mentioned so far.

Another guess is maybe "Francine" is really Pandora today, keeping an eye on Diane while Jerry 2.0 keeps an eye on Susan. Take a look back at Pandora arguing with herself after sending Tedd back to bed. In the next to last panel of this page two of the Pandoras have the exactly the same Sam the Sheepdog eye-hiding bangs as Francine.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I don't think she's the victim of another aberration, that would imply that there's an aberration roaming the halls of MSHS, we've already seen the "security system" that the school has, it makes me wonder if there are other wards and such that Adrian's put in place to protect the students since the encounter with Abraham.

So what, you expect her to be victim of ordinary human attack? ANYTHING magical is likely to trigger Adrian's wards. Although I agree that it's weird we don't see the wards activated.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also last we saw Sirleck, he jumped to the old man's butler, there's no indication that he's jumped bodies again and while yes, I do believe the butler is a temporary host, it wouldn't make sense to me to see Sirleck jump to the butler and then suddenly be told he already dumped him off panel for someone else without even doing anything with the butler?

How else can we be surprised? Sure, it would be weird if we never saw the butler again, but if Sirleck is switching multiple hosts then it would make sense to not show who is he in to make better suspense. AND he can return to the butler later.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also we still do not know if parasitic aberrations can leave a host without killing them.

Yes, we do know. Sirleck complained about not being able to "take a break" because his host would die as soon as he left his body.

And if it would be normal, Sirleck would be unlikely to complain.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I don't think it's fair to say she's an alcoholic base on the one time we saw her with a glass of wine in her hand. It was a Friday night, it's not unheard of to have a couple drinks at the end of a work week.

I agree that it's unfair ... but it was one of very few cases we saw her.

You mean like Susan?  Well, unless the female makes puppy dog eyes. I can't see Susan's mom doing that any more than I can see Susan doing that.

Susan can do it. Sure, noone is more surprised by it than her, and she's not able to do it deliberately, but it happened.

To clarify, I'm not married to Francine being possessed. But it does seem to be a good guess for the reasons I've mentioned so far.

Another guess is maybe "Francine" is really Pandora today, keeping an eye on Diane while Jerry 2.0 keeps an eye on Susan. Take a look back at Pandora arguing with herself after sending Tedd back to bed. In the next to last panel of this page two of the Pandoras have the exactly the same Sam the Sheepdog eye-hiding bangs as Francine.

Pandora is unlikely to bother to "remove" real Francine just because she wants to pose as her, she doesn't need to be on physical plane to keep an eye on anyone (in fact it would limit her a lot) and ... HOW could she "remove" real Francine inside limits of "empower and guide"?

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Helena and Demetrius really are brother and sister as Tara and Andrea thought they might be, who is their mother? Pandora knows how important Elliot is to Tedd. Could Pandora be the reason Helena and Demetrius have been watching over Elliot all this time?

Could Pandora be the reason Helena and Demetrius are watching over Elliot? Yes. Any connection to her being their mother? Unlikely.

Elliot made puppy dog eyes to get Verruckt to agree to the plan, but that doesn't need to be the only way to sway him. Like I said, maybe Susan's mom is just a strong willed woman and Verrukt was just that weak to women.

I maintain that the host was already dying and so there was no saving him anyway. So we can't count that as proof for or against it.

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So what, you expect her to be victim of ordinary human attack? ANYTHING magical is likely to trigger Adrian's wards. Although I agree that it's weird we don't see the wards activated.

Immortals can't be detected, it's possible that Magus might not be detectable on that plane either though dunno for sure. Sure Sirleck might not be detect if he's on the same plane, but ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

How else can we be surprised? Sure, it would be weird if we never saw the butler again, but if Sirleck is switching multiple hosts then it would make sense to not show who is he in to make better suspense. AND he can return to the butler later.

It just doesn't seem right, the butler would be a huge Chekhov's Gun to show Sirleck jumping to the butler but not jumping to the janitor.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I maintain that the host was already dying and so there was no saving him anyway. So we can't count that as proof for or against it.

That was last spring, just after the trouble with Abraham at Moperville South. And Sirleck goes on to explain that he's busy looting as much as he can of the old man's fortune before he has has to abandon the body.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It just doesn't seem right, the butler would be a huge Chekhov's Gun to show Sirleck jumping to the butler but not jumping to the janitor.

It's still before the last act, so not too late to fire that Chekhov gun. Besides, Dan likes to diddle us about these things as long as he can get away with it. Also, a proper job of showing Francine's possession could easily take two or three pages, and I'm not sure Dan has fallen in love with this character enough for that.

Yet.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Which nobody guessed if I remember correctly. One or the other, yes, but not this combination.

For me, the noteworthiness is not retroactive. She just is coming and going.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The fact that host will die when Sirleck leaves doesn't prove anything, yes. The fact Sirleck COMPLAINS about it suggests (although doesn't prove ; the phrasing is not clear) that he CAN take break from other hosts without them dying.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Immortals can't be detected, it's possible that Magus might not be detectable on that plane either though dunno for sure. Sure Sirleck might not be detect if he's on the same plane, but ...

If Magus can't be detected - and he probably can't, he was in Tedd's house multiple times and Tedd's house is warded - then it would make sense than Sirleck wouldn't be detected either. The same might be true for other aberrations, in fact some might be even harder to detect if they don't want to be detected than Sirleck.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

It's still before the last act, so not too late to fire that Chekhov gun. Besides, Dan likes to diddle us about these things as long as he can get away with it. Also, a proper job of showing Francine's possession could easily take two or three pages, and I'm not sure Dan has fallen in love with this character enough for that.

Note that there ARE flashbacks. I mean, there is the option to show something which will surprise us and then show the things leading to it which would spoil the surprise in flashback.

Or, as I said, Sirleck might return to the butler.

Elaborating on the theory that the Francine we see hiding in the toilet (she's hiding, not using or even pretending to use the toilet because her pants aren't down) is really Pandora, I'm assuming the real Francine was flimflammed by Pandora so she wouldn't come to work. And there could be another reason why Pandora would want to come to Moperville South today: To see her son. Maybe she's reconsidering putting off talking to him until Saturday (tomorrow). And that would be a reason for her to be hiding in the toilet stall wrestling with her conflicting thoughts and feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if on the very first panel of Friday's comic (assuming it comes out on Friday) is Pandora sitting on that same toilet. Especially if Pandora is still wearing the janitorial uniform.

I still say there's a great chance Pandora won't be able to say what she wanted to say to Adrian tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Elaborating on the theory that the Francine we see hiding in the toilet is really Pandora.

Oh. Didn't occurred to me. I interpreted Pandora's theory as Pandora being the Francine we saw earlier but this being the real one.

Still, neither makes sense. Sure, Pandora CAN look like anyone, but she's more likely to be completely invisible.

Also, Dan said in comics "Francine's unconscious for some mysterious reason".

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I still say there's a great chance Pandora won't be able to say what she wanted to say to Adrian tomorrow.

The chance is definitely there, however I still think Adrian WILL learn about it and so far it seems that Pandora is only one who can tell him without LOT of conclusion jumping. Of course, we DO have some conclusion jumping champions on cast ...