• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday September 29, 2017

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Fortunately, there is no reason for Diane to be hiding other than for The Dan to set up this gag (Suddenly Susan).

Plenty of reason for Diane to be there. She was likely also trying to build up the courage to go into the mall, she might have assumed Susan was already in there waiting, hence the surprised look on her face. She gets to see that Susan was also very nervous about meeting and it might be a good icebreaker for them.

This isn't something I pictured. Aside from Dan's reference to Suddenly Susan (a show I don't remember ever watching), having the initial meeting outside the mall makes it less likely they will run into someone who knows either one of them while the first one to arrive is waiting at the food court. That is, any mortal people who know either one of them. They may have one or more invisible companions.

Geminis means, of course, twins, which may imply a number of things, such as that Susan and Diane are actually identical twins despite what Edward told Nanase. That's assuming Edward wasn't lying, which he's had a lifetime of practice for covering up UFOs, alien encounters, and maybe Elvis sightings. Remember, we all learned in the first Men in Black that Elvis isn't really dead, he just went back to his home planet. But it seems likely that Dan wants to give us the impression, whether true or not, that Part 20 will be focused on Susan and Diane.

One thing it can't imply is that Susan and Diane are Geminis. They're Capricorns, of course.

But there's another set of twins in EGS, Elliot and Ellen, so maybe the focus will shift back and forth. Does anyone know their signs?

You know, if Dan was following Anime/Manga tradition, we should know the signs and the blood types of all the main characters.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Plenty of reason for Diane to be there. She was likely also trying to build up the courage to go into the mall, she might have assumed Susan was already in there waiting, hence the surprised look on her face. She gets to see that Susan was also very nervous about meeting and it might be a good icebreaker for them.

I  agree.  I've done more or less that exact thing when meeting some one for the first time IRL, vs on line.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

But there's another set of twins in EGS, Elliot and Ellen, so maybe the focus will shift back and forth. Does anyone know their signs?

Gemini is May 21st to June 21st and we had comics run through that time period so either Dan skipped Elliot's and Ellen's birthday (though technically Ellen's is January 30th), or Elliot's birthday was during the timeskip.

Grace is a Pisces (March 9th birthday)

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I  agree.  I've done more or less that exact thing when meeting some one for the first time IRL, vs on line.

Enlighten me, as I am not completely fluent in text-message-abbreviations and didn't get my first cellphone until last year. IRL=In Real Life?

After more sleep and examination of #2403 (which I have unofficially titled Contact!) I have noticed the presence of seams and pockets on Susan and Diane's pants, something I don't think Dan does that often. And I notice that Susan isn't carrying a purse, wearing a backpack, or have any pockets that look big enough to hide a fairy inside, and with her hair bound in that ponytail, not enough room for a fairy to take cover in her hair as little Nase did the very first time Susan summoned her.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Enlighten me, as I am not completely fluent in text-message-abbreviations and didn't get my first cellphone until last year. IRL=In Real Life?

Yes, or as real as life is around me.

10 hours ago, partner555 said:
11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That time was not on purpose.

Are you sure?

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Geminis means, of course, twins, which may imply a number of things, such as that Susan and Diane are actually identical twins despite what Edward told Nanase.

Note that those Gemini twins had same mother but different fathers, so I don't think it needs to be taken literary as twins.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's assuming Edward wasn't lying, which he's had a lifetime of practice for covering up UFOs, alien encounters, and maybe Elvis sightings.

Edward also has lot of experience with the dangers of lying, as he already explained to Tedd. In this specific situation, lying could easily get Diane killed, so I don't think he would risk it.

9 hours ago, Baldrickk said:

Susan looks like she has been literally punched in the gut.

I think it can't be explained just by her hearing her name ... on the other hand, hearing her name said by HER VOICE ....

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

After more sleep and examination of #2403 (which I have unofficially titled Contact!) I have noticed the presence of seams and pockets on Susan and Diane's pants, something I don't think Dan does that often. And I notice that Susan isn't carrying a purse, wearing a backpack, or have any pockets that look big enough to hide a fairy inside, and with her hair bound in that ponytail, not enough room for a fairy to take cover in her hair as little Nase did the very first time Susan summoned her.

... good point. She surprisingly decided to NOT take fairy with her.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

After more sleep and examination of #2403 (which I have unofficially titled Contact!)

Since Susan's involved, it should be titled "First Contact". ;)

Agree. Those movies appeared around the same time (well ... not so close to each other as I remember ...) and Susan might watched both but only one is StarTrek. Also, we KNOW she saw First Contact explicitly (as if there would be possibility she would miss that).

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Agree. Those movies appeared around the same time (well ... not so close to each other as I remember ...) and Susan might watched both but only one is StarTrek. Also, we KNOW she saw First Contact explicitly (as if there would be possibility she would miss that).

Star Trek First Contact came out in 1996 and Jody Foster's Contact in 1997. If the current year is 2014, the best guess on the Shivepedia Wikia, Susan would have been at best a toddler when either one came out.

I did consider "First Contact" but decided to save that for the first Susan time meets a space alien. Except, of course, for part-alien Grace. Maybe for the time when Susan learns about that little detail of Grace's background?

24 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Star Trek First Contact came out in 1996 and Jody Foster's Contact in 1997. If the current year is 2014, the best guess on the Shivepedia Wikia, Susan would have been at best a toddler when either one came out.

Not sure about Contact, but First Contact is repeated in TV quite frequently.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:
26 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe for the time when Susan learns about that little detail of Grace's background?

She knows that about Grace.

Not that this was the time she found out - her lack of surprise proves she already knew at that time. I also think that while she never met full Uryuoms, she knows about them. She though she's android on start of Painted Black, but they probably explained a lot to her during that arc.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

You're right. Even I get Susan and Diane mixed up, even when Susan isn't a blonde.

Diane has shown no signs of knowing that the three-tailed furry she met at Not-Tengu's fallen body was Grace. But I wouldn't put it past her to have figured that out. After all, Noah realized Grace's three-tailed superhero form sounded just like Grace, but shook it off.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure about Contact, but First Contact is repeated in TV quite frequently.

Gotta remember Susan is a big Trekkie and owns all the series and movies on DVD.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are worse movies than Nemesis - like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

And while she doesn't like them per say, I imagine she does still have the DVDs and does include them in marathons especially if she's showing them to friends for the first time. She probably has the same philosophy as Justin. "Horrible, they may be, but much to talk about, there is"...I'm not sure if there is a more Trek way of saying that though.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She surprisingly decided to NOT take fairy with her.

Not only to not take a fairy, but to not have any place she could hide a fairy, if she had any reason to summon one!

And Nemesis hardly ever, thank goodness.

What-emis?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

"Horrible, they may be, but much to talk about, there is"...I'm not sure if there is a more Trek way of saying that though.

Infinite diversity in infinite combination?

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

"Horrible, they may be, but much to talk about, there is"...I'm not sure if there is a more Trek way of saying that though.

Infinite diversity in infinite combination?

Actually a more Yoda-from-Star-Wars way of saying it than IDIC.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Actually a more Yoda-from-Star-Wars way of saying it than IDIC.

The quote from Justin was a Yoda-ism, I was speaking of Star Trek though and couldn't think of an equivalent Trek way of saying it.