• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Np, Monday October 2, 2017

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

What ellipsis?

The one that's actually between "birth..." and "control...?" It was "reproductive health rights" that hijacked my memory as I wrote that misquote.

For a long time I've been saying that Republicans are committing political suicide by trying to ban abortion because, as we all know, bastards grow up to be Democrats. But I've realized that the base is taking care of that problem by putting more restrictions on voting and immigration, and even trying to stop automatically granting citizenship to people born in the United States even if their parents aren't citizens. Who do you think coined "anchor babies?"

58 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

To fit with the rule Pandora believes is true, yes.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  I don't see where Pandora ever makes it clear she's talking about Ashley having a magical aptitude.  She is surprised that it's so easy t tell what Ashley's goodness is blocking, but makes no remark on the nature Ashley's essential niceness to suggest it is a magical aptitude.

To my perception, both the spells Pandora could and couldn't give Ashley were driven who Ashley is.  I don't remember reading that Pandora found a magical affinity to her..

Ashley is really really nice, so Pandora can't give her transformation spells

Ashley is really, really nice so Pandora could give her empathy or minor healing spells.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The one that's actually between "birth..." and "control...?" It was "reproductive health rights" that hijacked my memory as I wrote that misquote.

I think that's actually him already noticing changes, not related to what he's saying.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

To my perception, both the spells Pandora could and couldn't give Ashley were driven who Ashley is.  I don't remember reading that Pandora found a magical affinity to her..

I would assume that if Ashley would have actual talent for transformation and not just desire, she would be markable no matter how likely she is to use the spell. Talents are stable, it's the desires you can sabotage by just thinking too much.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Ashley is really really nice, so Pandora can't give her transformation spells

Ashley is really really nice and can't imagine someone else being ok by being transformed by her.

... you know, forget Elliot. She would totally get gender change spell the moment she meets Sam or whoever wrote Elliot the message and her niceness gets on the other side.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She would totally get gender change spell the moment she meets Sam or whoever wrote Elliot the message and her niceness gets on the other side.

Well, if Pandora happens to be available. Problem 1, Sam has to admit he's a a she. Problem 2, Pandora is kind of preoccupied right now. Problem 3, Pandora might not be able to do it if she resets.

There's also the Tedd path now--it's canon that his spell can permanently change someone else's gender, and that would likely stay changed even after magic changed. With Sarah and Elliot both pleading for Sam, Tedd would probably at least consider it.

That also makes me wonder if Ellen can also permanently change someone's gender now. Seems like it would fit the pattern of enhancements to her basic spell.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She would totally get gender change spell the moment she meets Sam or whoever wrote Elliot the message and her niceness gets on the other side.

Well, if Pandora happens to be available. Problem 1, Sam has to admit he's a a she. Problem 2, Pandora is kind of preoccupied right now. Problem 3, Pandora might not be able to do it if she resets.

1) ... or Sarah needs to notice. I mean, she would still need to admit it, but it would be hard to deny if Sarah blurts it ...

2 & 3) ... other immortals should be able to do that too.

There's also the Tedd path now--it's canon that his spell can permanently change someone else's gender, and that would likely stay changed even after magic changed. With Sarah and Elliot both pleading for Sam, Tedd would probably at least consider it.

Actually, his spell can only permanently change HIS gender (or her). Although he DID mentioned he will be probably able to make wand for changing gender permanently.

That also makes me wonder if Ellen can also permanently change someone's gender now. Seems like it would fit the pattern of enhancements to her basic spell.

It would fit the pattern, but I think she will only get such spell AFTER the possibility of Tedd doing it will be explored.

I just want to say I am adopted and was born and conceived after Roe v Wade and such I am painfully aware my biological mother could have had me aborted rather then putting me up for adoption.

While I usually try to keep my arguments purely on the logical and ethical spectrum as I feel like getting when you get emotional about these things you generally lose there is no denying that when I hear thus argument it is like I hear people denying me my right to exist.

That being said I would rather takes this back to the realm of logic and ethics but I still had to get that off my chest.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

For a long time I've been saying that Republicans are committing political suicide by trying to ban abortion because, as we all know, bastards grow up to be Democrats. But I've realized that the base is taking care of that problem by putting more restrictions on voting and immigration, and even trying to stop automatically granting citizenship to people born in the United States even if their parents aren't citizens. Who do you think coined "anchor babies?"

I'm not sure political commentary belongs in this thread even though the NP touches on politics.  Abortion is a heated-enough issue that I'm not sure it's appropriate to discuss even in the politics thread.

For this same reason I am equally uncomfortable with Dan pushing politics into his comic, even if it's only NP and not the main comic.  Dan's saying all will be revealed Wednesday and I'm giving him that much doubt's benefit.

For the record I am also against the Death penalty, for gay marriage, and ok with birth control so long as it takes place BEFORE conception. In short my political views are complicated.

The Moderator: All political discussion belongs in the thread of that name in the Off Topic forum. Remember that the courtesy rules will be especially carefully enforced there. If I decide a topic is too heated to be allowed to continue, I will announce it there.

~tOH.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: All political discussion belongs in the thread of that name in the Off Topic forum. Remember that the courtesy rules will be especially carefully enforced there. If I decide a topic is too heated to be allowed to continue, I will announce it there.

~tOH.

To be fair the strip was politically charged to begin with. Hence why I felt compelled to mention 

1 hour ago, animalia said:

I just want to say I am adopted and was born and conceived after Roe v Wade and such I am painfully aware my biological mother could have had me aborted rather then putting me up for adoption.

While I usually try to keep my arguments purely on the logical and ethical spectrum as I feel like getting when you get emotional about these things you generally lose there is no denying that when I hear thus argument it is like I hear people denying me my right to exist.

That being said I would rather takes this back to the realm of logic and ethics but I still had to get that off my chest.

In the first place. That being said I will try to limit it to the political subject that is brought up by said strip. The rest was more me wanting people not to jump to the wrong conclusion about the REST of my plotical views.

1 minute ago, animalia said:

To be fair the strip was politically charged to begin with. Hence why I felt compelled to mention 

In the first place. That being said I will try to limit it to the political subject that is brought up by said strip. The rest was more me wanting people not to jump to the wrong conclusion about the REST of my plotical views.

Don't worry.  Really, don't.  People are far more likely to jump to conclusions about my politics than yours.  :)

I had a friend once who had tremendous abandonment issues from knowing she was adopted.  She couldn't get past feeling her birth parents didn't want her. 

I have another friend who believes he came close to being aborted and that messed with his head in much the same way.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, his spell can only permanently change HIS gender (or her). Although he DID mentioned he will be probably able to make wand for changing gender permanently.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It would fit the pattern, but I think she will only get such spell AFTER the possibility of Tedd doing it will be explored.

I would think that it would have been covered in the Ellen Demo series if she already had the ability to do so. To be honest though, I don't see any reason why Dan would want her to have that ability either, I can't remember where he mentioned it, but I do remember mention of wanting each character to have their own set of spells themed to them. While there may be some overlap due to transformation spells being a fairly common ability.

I think Tedd's ability would be unique to him, and really, the only time the form is made permanent is when he uses it on himself. Of course he's now made a wand that can make it permanent for others, but I'd still like to think that it's Tedd's shtick alone.

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

For this same reason I am equally uncomfortable with Dan pushing politics into his comic, even if it's only NP and not the main comic.  Dan's saying all will be revealed Wednesday and I'm giving him that much doubt's benefit.

I would be much more uncomfortable if Dan would censor the comic just so we can discuss it more easily. It's Dan's comic - WE need to adapt.

(Also, actually avoiding all politics would get complicated quickly ; even the Uryuom's claims they are not aliens can be taken politically, and thats 2003. Not speaking about the sexual "minorities", that's still political topic isn't it?)

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think Tedd's ability would be unique to him, and really, the only time the form is made permanent is when he uses it on himself. Of course he's now made a wand that can make it permanent for others, but I'd still like to think that it's Tedd's shtick alone.

True, if he copied the spell it should be able to do that ... of course noone knows about it yet but it still opens the possibility for someone to "borrow" it ...

I wonder if Ellen will ever be able to turn a woman into a man? Relevant because that's what Sam wants, or things they want.

BTW, what's a better pronoun for a transexual or gender-fluid character here? He/she? They? I don't like "it", though I guess I do use it for babies sometimes. Let's face it, you usually don't know until you have to change its diaper. Which I've done more than a few times.

I regard this strip as a bit of a strawman. At least in one sense. In reality, people do NOT plot together with the express intent of stripping others of their rights. They plot together to keep people from claiming and exercising rights that, for one reason or another, the plotters don't believe exist - or, at a minimum, don't believe apply.

One may disagree with the plotters, one may even believe they are evil, but that doesn't mean they would express their intent in an explicitly evil way. Real-world, people do NOT see themselves as deliberately evil (with very rare exceptions), and will express the most evil intent in some way that makes it sound positive. Heck, Hitler wanted to remove a few blights on humanity and make more room for the best of us... or that's the way HE saw it. (He was mistaken.)

By the way, the best argument against having contraceptives covered by health insurance is based on the inherent nature of actual insurance. Contraceptives, regular oil changes, replacing leaky toilet valves... regular, predictable, minor expenses. That isn't what insurance is for, and having insurance cover them - or even notice them to count them against a deductible - inherently makes them cost more. For things that minor, quite possibly doubling a readily-affordable cost.

(When you get up to things like abortion, it gets a LOT more complicated. Can we, please, not have that argument here?)

23 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, what's a better pronoun for a transexual or gender-fluid character here? He/she? They? I don't like "it", though I guess I do use it for babies sometimes. Let's face it, you usually don't know until you have to change its diaper. Which I've done more than a few times.

Why would anyone seriously consider anything other than going with the subject's presentation at the specific point in time being referred to? I have no trouble with that, even changing from one pronoun to another in mid-sentence if circumstances dictate.

The exception to that is drag queens - who, in my usage, are men dressing up as women for the purpose of being seen as men dressing up as women. (If that doesn't apply, they aren't drag queens; they're something else.)

And the complication is when you're talking about a single person who changes presentation from time to time, but not talking about a specific-enough time to pick a pronoun. In that case... I hate the singular "they", but every other proposal I've seen for genderless third-person-singular personal pronouns in English is even worse. And the language wasn't exactly ruined by the singular "you"...

("You" was originally plural, and the singular was "thou" or "thee" depending on case.)

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Also, actually avoiding all politics would get complicated quickly ; even the Uryuom's claims they are not aliens can be taken politically, and thats 2003. Not speaking about the sexual "minorities", that's still political topic isn't it?)

The comic you linked just tells us that Will and Gill are bona fide US citizens.  Dan is not editorializing. 

Your case would be better served by another comic in the same storyline where Will and Gill make the point that the laws against using an OOP cosmetic morphing device had their origins in uryouom religion.  They tell this to Ed Verres as they're explaining why they need help with the CMD.  I'm a little leery about that choice of Dan's too.

Conditions such as Genderfluidity and transexualism are not automatically political.  IThey're just stuff people deal with.  Dan has avoided mentioning the religious and legislative issues that are tied up in gender and sexuality in the real world while faithfully representing the emotional impact.