• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday October 4, 2017

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What's that THUMP about? Did Diane just hit her head on the wall behind her?

She leaned against the wall forcefully. The "Thump" does make it look like it was her head hitting the wall, but there really isn't anywhere else it could have gone to indicate it was her back making contact rather than her head.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

She leaned against the wall forcefully. The "Thump" does make it look like it was her head hitting the wall, but there really isn't anywhere else it could have gone to indicate it was her back making contact rather than her head.

Diane's head could be thrust forward a little, so, yes, maybe. But shoulders hitting a wall don't make a THUMP like a head.

So is Diane mad at Susan now, mad at magic, or both?

35 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane's head could be thrust forward a little, so, yes, maybe. But shoulders hitting a wall don't make a THUMP like a head.

Might have been her butt, which can make a bit of noise.

As to who she is mad at, I would say "Magic and the world in general".

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I doubt she'd be mad at Susan, there's no reason to as she just met her, she might be frustrated by the situation though. Consider a little over "2 weeks ago" when Diane got the Private Message from Susan and how she felt after reading it, she seemed pretty sure that Susan must have been her sister, but now she was told about Magic having a flair for the dramatic and she might be questioning whether this has been one big troll*. I wonder if Susan will mention Justin's theory about it, and if so I wonder if Diane will ask how Susan know's Justin. Also gotta wonder if Susan will mention anything about the growth spurt being possibly due to her awakening as well since Diane already mentioned Susan being taller. I also wonder if Diane will say anything about being the one that defended Elliot in the comments and being the one that Susan messaged.

*To be honest, I'm not sure if Magic would troll like that. Making someone's hair colour different from what they'd expect is harmless, Two rival wizards who trained together looking similar is also fairly harmless. But making everyone believe that 2 people are related and then being "HAHA Fooled You!!!" is pretty cruel. Magic has a flair for the dramatic yes, but I don't think it goes out of it's way to create drama**, but would rather reward those that face situations in a dramatic fashion. In the case of Susan's awakening, Magic didn't cause it to happen, but rather rolled with what was happening because it was dramatic so I put the effect it had on her hair as harmless.

**One could argue that making it known that you're about to change the system would be creating drama, but I wonder if the WoM wanting magic to be known to only a fraction of the population would be because it wants to keep dramatic moments from becoming too common and devaluing whatever cool stuff that could happen. If everyone knew about magic, it wouldn't be long before things that were once considered miracles to become "meh it was just magic" and magic would become stale and boring. The WoM might accept responsibility for causing some drama in that case.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Might have been her butt, which can make a bit of noise.

As to who she is mad at, I would say "Magic and the world in general".

When I feel annoyed and don't have a legitimate military target to vent my annoyance at, I often go for similar targets. The world is fine. I also like to blame the Danish Parliament, especially for stuff it had absolutely nothing to do with or could not have done anything about even if it had. The sinking of the Titanic? Clearly all on the Danish Parliament. The 2015 earthquake in Japan? Danish Parliament. The murder of King Canute the Holy? Again the Danish Parliament, never mind that it wasn't even established until half a dozen centuries later and the fact that that ass Canute the 'Holy' totally deserved it.

12 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The murder of King Canute the Holy? Again the Danish Parliament, never mind that it wasn't even established until half a dozen centuries later and the fact that that ass Canute the 'Holy' totally deserved it.

Given how much you vent about the Danish Parliament, the thought of them having a time machine is a little frightening. ...but then again, it would be frightening for pretty much any government to have a time machine.

47 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Given how much you vent about the Danish Parliament, the thought of them having a time machine is a little frightening. ...but then again, it would be frightening for pretty much any government to have a time machine.

Trust me, they have incompetence for the ages.

4 minutes ago, WR...S said:

...I thought Susan's hair was blue, though?

It should be, if it is based on the hair dye she used. Better archive divers than I can probably find the actual strip (shortly after Ellen zapped Susan for the first time) but we get a close up on the actual dye box which says something like "midnight blue".

Someone should really Tweet to Dan and remind him of this canonical hair color. I'd do it, but I do not have nor want a Twitter account.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

It should be, if it is based on the hair dye she used. Better archive divers than I can probably find the actual strip (shortly after Ellen zapped Susan for the first time) but we get a close up on the actual dye box which says something like "midnight blue".

The story comic is #839, The Other Woman With Susan's Face. Dan put up the cover of the dye box in Sketchbook #401. It's Snazzy Hair Dye in Gloomy Gus Blue.

Maybe Dan has forgotten it's dark blue? Well, it still has blue highlights in the last Patreon pinup, I think.

I'm pretty good at archive diving because I've saved all the story comics, all the NP comics, most of the sketchbooks, and most of the Patreon pinups I can access, so I don't have to wait to get enough bandwidth to get to the next page. But you found #839 before I did, Thor. Have a cookie.

Edited by Tom Sewell
For Thor

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The story comic is #839, The Other Woman With Susan's Face. Dan put up the cover of the dye box in Sketchbook #401. It's Snazzy Hair Dye in Gloomy Gus Blue.

Maybe Dan has forgotten it's dark blue? Well, it still has blue highlights in the last Patreon pinup, I think.

I'm pretty good at archive diving because I've saved all the story comics, all the NP comics, most of the sketchbooks, and most of the Patreon pinups I can access, so I don't have to wait to get enough bandwidth to get to the next page. But you found #839 before I did, Thor. Have a cookie.

As long as someone tells Dan sooner than later, I'm happy. When someone points out a contradiction with canon long after the fact, we usually wind up with two or three comics worth of explanation, which usually sidelines the storyline for those strips. But since Susan mentioned her hair dye just last strip, perhaps we can turn this into a one-speech-bubble addition of, "Technically, it's not black, just a very dark blue" and go on with the story instead of throwing the whole she-bang into neutral for a week's worth of strips in a few months.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As long as someone tells Dan sooner than later, I'm happy. When someone points out a contradiction with canon long after the fact, we usually wind up with two or three comics worth of explanation, which usually sidelines the storyline for those strips. But since Susan mentioned her hair dye just last strip, perhaps we can turn this into a one-speech-bubble addition of, "Technically, it's not black, just a very dark blue" and go on with the story instead of throwing the whole she-bang into neutral for a week's worth of strips in a few months.

I wonder if Dan had Diane say "black" intentionally though. Diane didn't know that Susan died her hair and could have easily mistaken the very dark blue for black.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I wonder if that effect is caused by armies of nitpickers jumping down Dan's throat every time they see even the smallest little error in continuity they can gleefully complain about.

Nah... couldn't possibly be. :demonicduck:

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I wonder if that effect is caused by armies of nitpickers jumping down Dan's throat every time they see even the smallest little error in continuity they can gleefully complain about.

What else is this forum for?

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Reasoned discussion, perhaps? Or good Lord, constructive criticism? The sort of stuff that gets mentioned in the FAQ?

What do you think this is, the Danish parliament?

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

To be honest, I'm not sure if Magic would troll like that. Making someone's hair colour different from what they'd expect is harmless, Two rival wizards who trained together looking similar is also fairly harmless. But making everyone believe that 2 people are related and then being "HAHA Fooled You!!!" is pretty cruel.

Isn't the consensus that they ARE related because they are both Raven's descendants? Even if not, they are likely having some common ancestor who is reason for their talent. Of course, this relationship may not be as close as sisters, but it can still be argued there is no "HAHA Fooled You" element in it.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

but I wonder if the WoM wanting magic to be known to only a fraction of the population would be because it wants to keep dramatic moments from becoming too common and devaluing whatever cool stuff that could happen.

... wasn't this even said directly in comics somewhere? In any case, yes it sounds like the reason.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Here's the strip with the dye box:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=839

It's hard to read, but the dye color is "Gloomy Gus Blue".

You can seriously read it directly from that page? If not for the sketchbook I would think it's not SUPPOSED to be readable.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Someone should really Tweet to Dan and remind him of this canonical hair color. I'd do it, but I do not have nor want a Twitter account.

Tried tumblr ask.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Isn't the consensus that they ARE related because they are both Raven's descendants? Even if not, they are likely having some common ancestor who is reason for their talent. Of course, this relationship may not be as close as sisters, but it can still be argued there is no "HAHA Fooled You" element in it.

I think they're related, and sisters, but the only consensus that will count in the end is Dan's--assuming Dan ever gives us an answer.