• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP Friday October 6, 2017

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We could be immortal...

Oy vey. "Could". But sure, our posts could.

Oh look, the face of Liz during the goo incident is back.

6 hours ago, partner555 said:

What surprises me most is that Liz was at an anime convention, though Ashley could have succeeded in pestering her enough.

Sarah was able to do that to Susan, though that wasn't canon.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, partner555 said:

What surprises me most is that Liz was at an anime convention, though Ashley could have succeeded in pestering her enough.

Sarah was able to do that to Susan, though that wasn't canon.

That was ANIME convention?

20 hours ago, partner555 said:

Maybe she LIKES being bored by anime ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That was ANIME convention?

It was a comic convention, I think there was some anime though, at the very least they did have some Lucky Bunny Bounty stuff.

I'm not sure about US, but around here we see no problem with having convention which includes multiple diverse topics like Star Trek, Star Wars and anime (and few others).

But yes this was comic convention. I though you were referring to something else where I might overlook what kind of convention it was, although I though the pinups for example were supposed to be another year of same convention.

Despite being called "comic convention," things like San Diego Comic Con and Wizard World Comic Con Chicago tend to have tons of celebrities from TV and movies.  Chicago's comic con this past summer had the Tenth Doctor, River Song, and Captain Jack Harkness (that is, David Tennant, Alex Kingston, and John Barrowman), which was a more high-end selection of Doctor Who-specific stars than Chicago TARDIS had last year.  Hmm, and looks like 2016 had Carrie Fisher, Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea ThompsonGillian Anderson, and David Duchovny as their top bill.  Pity it's both expensive and inconveniently timed respective to my work schedule.  Anyway, yes, these days a Comic Con is most likely a huge media deal, devoting a lot more attention to the actors in Marvel and DC movies than to the writers and artists who create actual comics.

Some years ago the people who ran Norwescon, the Seattle area's biggest science-fiction convention, rejected a request to expand the anime track at that convention - allegedly out of concern that it threatened to take over the whole show - but several of them actively assisted in creating a new convention dedicated to anime and comics.

Norwescon continues to thrive with attendance around 3,500 - putting it in the top 10 of US SFcons. It typically occurs in the biggest hotel in the SeaTac area, with overflow into several nearby hotels.

The anime convention, Sakuracon, is running around 23,000 attendees. It occupies the entirety of the Washington State Convention Center, with attendees staying in several of the hotels around that facility.

Both occur Easter weekend, and Metro Transit should seriously consider running a couple special buses back and forth between the two sites on the four days that Norwescon runs (Sakuracon is only 3 days) to accommodate those who attend both events.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 10/6/2017 at 0:50 AM, partner555 said:

Maybe she LIKES being bored by anime ...

Anime is a large and diverse subject, like western animation. Maybe there's some small corner of anime that appeals to Liz. There's also the fact that many anime conventions become more of a broad interest convention(movies, tv, video games, board games,...) with anime themed signage.

Though the simpler answer is that Ashley dragged her along.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sounds like a great solution, except for the part about both being on the same weekend.  What if you wanted to attend both?

People do. There's passable transit service between the two sites - but not specifically set up for heavy traffic between those two exact sites.

6 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Anime is a large and diverse subject, like western animation.

I'm not an expert on anime but I don't belive anime is only as diverse as western animation. I'm sure it's much more diverse.

Maybe there's some small corner of anime that appeals to Liz.

I was implying that her reaction on her favourite movie will be (with her standard bored expression): "Hmmm ... that wasn't so bad."

Though the simpler answer is that Ashley dragged her along.

That's definitely what she would claim.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sounds like a great solution, except for the part about both being on the same weekend.  What if you wanted to attend both?

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

People do. There's passable transit service between the two sites - but not specifically set up for heavy traffic between those two exact sites.

Then they attend part of one convention, and part of the other.  They can't fully attend both conventions unless they can clone themselves.

12 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Then they attend part of one convention, and part of the other.  They can't fully attend both conventions unless they can clone themselves.

And if they would clone themselves they wouldn't need the transit obviously.

On the other hand, on most convention you can't really attend everything without cloning even if you don't go to other conventions, don't sleep and don't eat, so we can assume that the "part" bit is default.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, on most convention you can't really attend everything without cloning even if you don't go to other conventions, don't sleep and don't eat, so we can assume that the "part" bit is default.

Also with cloning, each still would only experience one part of the event and then have to relay it to the other later, it'd be more practical just to get a friend to tag along, unless of course you can get a "one mind, multiple bodies" type ability like Grrl Power's Harem.

41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

unless of course you can get a "one mind, multiple bodies" type ability like Grrl Power's Harem.

Yes that's the sort of cloning I was imagining.

And to keep it in EGS ... can Nanase do that? Can she send Fox to some event and retrieve her memory of that event without resorting to manual control which would distract her from the event SHE's on?

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And to keep it in EGS ... can Nanase do that? Can she send Fox to some event and retrieve her memory of that event without resorting to manual control which would distract her from the event SHE's on?

I...don't know? Fox normally runs of her subconscious, so she would of course know what Nanase's thinking, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't work the other way or else Nanase wouldn't have had so much trouble playing Mario Kart with her. And while Nanase can take manual control of Fox, it's essentially the same as being in the fairy avatar and she'd be taking her attention off of the convention she's at to peek at the convention Fox is at. It'd be convenient if the panels and events she's interested in seeing are on staggered schedules, but if any occur simultaneously, not so much.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I...don't know?

Well, obviously it was more rhetorical question (although not completely rhetorical ... but not expecting answer, just to set topic of debate) ... only Dan would know, Fox was not explored nearly enough.

Fox normally runs of her subconscious, so she would of course know what Nanase's thinking, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't work the other way or else Nanase wouldn't have had so much trouble playing Mario Kart with her.

The explanation made sense, however the connection might easily be bidirectional - it's just that Nanase is, just as almost everyone, used to not pay attention to her own subconscious, while Fox is running directly on it. Still, connection like this wouldn't really help to transfer memories, just emotions.

And while Nanase can take manual control of Fox, it's essentially the same as being in the fairy avatar and she'd be taking her attention off of the convention she's at to peek at the convention Fox is at. It'd be convenient if the panels and events she's interested in seeing are on staggered schedules, but if any occur simultaneously, not so much.

Exactly, which I already mentioned.

Fox is labelled "decoy summon". If she would be designed just as distraction in fight, like the color clones, she doesn't need anything else. If, however, she is supposed to be used for helping Nanase hiding some of her activities (with Ellen) from her mother, it is possible she is DESIGNED with memory dump feature so Nanase can learn what is she supposed to know when Fox pretended to be her.