• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday October 6, 2017

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Didn't Diane shout to Grace and Rhoda that they both better have clean hands?

Keep in mind, they were all in a school bathroom. And while Diane knew Rhoda was in her class a minute ago, she didn't know where Grace was before that.

School bathrooms were not very sanitary when I went to High School......

1 hour ago, Darkxemjas said:

Keep in mind, they were all in a school bathroom. And while Diane knew Rhoda was in her class a minute ago, she didn't know where Grace was before that.

It is not a phobia if you KNOW a place is incredibly unsanitary already. :doom:

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

"You can still be paranoid even when they are out to get you"

Or words to that effect.

Essentially, Susan mistrusts her own immune system. That's what it boils down to. If she trusted her body's ability to fight off infections more, she wouldn't have the phobia. Getting over that mistrust is one huge problem, though.

My internet was off this morning (I'm on Pacific Time, Zulu-8).

I don't think any of Dan's quirks are that relevant to the story, other than by giving them to various characters, he makes them more three-dimensional. Now, why Susan has exaggerated responses to things that could be dirty and/or germ-ridden might fit in with catching her dad fooling around while her mom was away. Kids as young as she was are hardly ever averse to dirt, mud, grime, smelly dogs, etc. More like they seek them out. Baby Blues would have to cut back to a weekly schedule without jokes about how messy kids are.

I agree with the Hmmm... above. Diane does display similar behavior once, during Grace's first day at school. And while Diane has dated lots of boys, she reasoned when she first set her sights on Elliot that he was unlikely to press for physical romance. So maybe Diane and Susan started out with the same attitudes in these matters, but Susan's became more exaggerated because of the trauma of her parents' breakup and divorce.

And just maybe Susan got a bit too much practice cleaning stuff and keeping it clean because that mansion she lives in with her mom doesn't seem to have any servants.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

My internet was off this morning (I'm on Pacific Time, Zulu-8).

I don't think any of Dan's quirks are that relevant to the story, other than by giving them to various characters, he makes them more three-dimensional. Now, why Susan has exaggerated responses to things that could be dirty and/or germ-ridden might fit in with catching her dad fooling around while her mom was away. Kids as young as she was are hardly ever averse to dirt, mud, grime, smelly dogs, etc. More like they seek them out. Baby Blues would have to cut back to a weekly schedule without jokes about how messy kids are.

I agree with the Hmmm... above. Diane does display similar behavior once, during Grace's first day at school. And while Diane has dated lots of boys, she reasoned when she first set her sights on Elliot that he was unlikely to press for physical romance. So maybe Diane and Susan started out with the same attitudes in these matters, but Susan's became more exaggerated because of the trauma of her parents' breakup and divorce.

And just maybe Susan got a bit too much practice cleaning stuff and keeping it clean because that mansion she lives in with her mom doesn't seem to have any servants.

One possibilty, and this goes towards Susan's love of Star Trek, the character Reginald Barclay was a known Hypochondriac and in the episode "Genesis" he's given a synthetic T-cell to try to boost his immune system which ends up causing him and the rest of the crew to "de-evolve". If Susan was young enough when she saw that episode, it might have left a lasting impression on her, she might even subconsiously emulate Barclay's behaviour.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If Susan was young enough when she saw that episode, it might have left a lasting impression on her, she might even subconsiously emulate Barclay's behaviour.

If the current Moperverse year is 2014, the original run of Star Trek: The Next Generation, AKA TNG, ended four years before Susan was born.

Of course, if Dan wants to move TNG forward in time in his univerese, he can Make It So. He can change anything. He can say EGS really began in 2002 and now it's only January 2003, and have Tedd make a wand to turn all the CRTs to flatscreens, flip phones to smartphones, and cover up Susan's midriff in those early comics, and give Susan her missing bangs. Greg didn't get shorter, did he?

Anyway, I'm sure Dan has remarked that time and tech are fluid in the Moperverse, just like in Springfield where Bart should be in his thirties by now, or in Peanuts, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, etc. I know Dan said that when he thought the story would move on past high school a lot sooner.

Although... the Change which seems to be coming up might give Dan an opportunity to diverge from our world in larger ways. Both magic and secret alien super-technology already exist in hiding in the Moperverse now, largely thanks to the successful efforts of Edward Verres and the rest of the MIBs at the DGJ and no doubt their counterparts in other nations--if the DGJ isn't a worldwide international secret spooky society.

Maybe something moving toward the world at the climax of Negima?

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

If the current Moperverse year is 2014, the original run of Star Trek: The Next Generation, AKA TNG, ended four years before Susan was born.

I didn't say anything about it being when it originally aired, she could have still seen the rerun at a young age.

I

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I didn't say anything about it being when it originally aired, she could have still seen the rerun at a young age.

I'm not aware that TNG was ever in syndication. News to me. We were selling the DVDs in Fry's Electronics twenty years ago.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I'm not aware that TNG was ever in syndication. News to me. We were selling the DVDs in Fry's Electronics twenty years ago.

It was in Canada on various channels over the years CityTV took on the nickname "The Federation Station" and aired reruns of TNG DS9 and Voyager in pairs of 2 episodes from Monday to Friday until SPACE became Canada's sci-fi channel.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It was in Canada on various channels over the years CityTV took on the nickname "The Federation Station" and aired reruns of TNG DS9 and Voyager in pairs of 2 episodes from Monday to Friday until SPACE became Canada's sci-fi channel.

Once again, it's better to be in Canada. If I wasn't so damned old and broke, I'd really think of moving there.

43 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Once again, it's better to be in Canada. If I wasn't so damned old and broke, I'd really think of moving there.

Turns out ST:Discovery was picked up by SPACE for airing in Canada, so if anyone wants to watch that but refuses to sign up for CBS's streaming service. ;)

14 hours ago, Darkxemjas said:

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Dammit, you reminded me of this one BAD boy's bathroom back in highschool!

33 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Dammit, you reminded me of this one BAD boy's bathroom back in highschool!

Did they have a separate restroom for good boys? Maybe they consulted with Santa to see who used which restroom?

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
16 hours ago, Darkxemjas said:

Aaand I was saying the same when we talked about it last time. I'm glad my view was confirmed by Dan :)

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Essentially, Susan mistrusts her own immune system. That's what it boils down to. If she trusted her body's ability to fight off infections more, she wouldn't have the phobia. Getting over that mistrust is one huge problem, though.

That's sound too analytical for phobia. Phobias tend to be less logical.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

One possibilty, and this goes towards Susan's love of Star Trek, the character Reginald Barclay was a known Hypochondriac and in the episode "Genesis" he's given a synthetic T-cell to try to boost his immune system which ends up causing him and the rest of the crew to "de-evolve". If Susan was young enough when she saw that episode, it might have left a lasting impression on her, she might even subconsiously emulate Barclay's behaviour.

Or, maybe there doesn't need to be any specific explanations? Not even twins think completely same. Hell, even ELLEN is not complete copy of Elliot anymore.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Anyway, I'm sure Dan has remarked that time and tech are fluid in the Moperverse, just like in Springfield where Bart should be in his thirties by now, or in Peanuts, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, etc. I know Dan said that when he thought the story would move on past high school a lot sooner.

Although... the Change which seems to be coming up might give Dan an opportunity to diverge from our world in larger ways. Both magic and secret alien super-technology already exist in hiding in the Moperverse now, largely thanks to the successful efforts of Edward Verres and the rest of the MIBs at the DGJ and no doubt their counterparts in other nations--if the DGJ isn't a worldwide international secret spooky society.

I would really like he would diverge, but I suspect he doesn't want to, that he's not interested in actually describing the changes all this stuff going public could do to society as a whole. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

The school I went to in Moore, Idaho, had been built in 1916 and still had the original plumbing.

You made me think what sort of plumbing (if any) originally had the university I was going on (although I'm pretty sure they upgraded it sometimes in last century, and maybe not for first time).

So, what's next? Has anyone told Susan that Diane dates lots of boys? Has anyone told Diane that Susan has never dated any boy? Diane's reaction to that revelation might be along the lines, "What, first Charlotte and now you?!"

Things are moving slowly, but this is how awkward first meetings go, and there's a lot of baggage to check.

Plus, since Susan didn't bring a purse or a backpack, how will she sanitize her seat?