• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
PrimordialSoul253

Story Friday October 13 2017

Dan's said a lot about that dang table, but he hasn't said a dang thing about why the table is there at all. It looks to me that Raven is manning it. There's clipboard facing Susan and Diane that may be for signup sheets and thingies that may hold flyers/bookmarks or some such.

Maybe the table is there so Pandora can walk through it like she walked through Tedd's table this morning.

Somehow I've got the feeling this will end with a horde of aberration mercenaries swarming the mall. There's no bonding experience like fighting a bunch of magical monsters together. I wouldn't be surprised if Susan can summon multiple swords and give one of them to Diane.

4 minutes ago, Niranufoti said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Susan can summon multiple swords and give one of them to Diane.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diane has a mark she doesn't know about yet.

Aaaand Dan hanged pretty lampshade on that "Miss Diane is weird". And he still didn't mentioned WHAT is her surname.

Also Diane addressed that thinking about lions in this situation is weird. Obviously, tigers would be much more appropriate :)

And still no backgrounds.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan's said a lot about that dang table, but he hasn't said a dang thing about why the table is there at all. It looks to me that Raven is manning it. There's clipboard facing Susan and Diane that may be for signup sheets and thingies that may hold flyers/bookmarks or some such.

Yes ... it seems Mr. Raven is doing something else than just going to buy something ...

34 minutes ago, Niranufoti said:

Somehow I've got the feeling this will end with a horde of aberration mercenaries swarming the mall. There's no bonding experience like fighting a bunch of magical monsters together. I wouldn't be surprised if Susan can summon multiple swords and give one of them to Diane.

No, it will end with remains of horde of aberration mercenaries all over the floor. :)

Yes it's obvious there will be fight. Maybe Susan will offer sword to Mr. Raven as well, just to find out he doesn't need one?

30 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I would. She's far from awakening and she likely didn't had any when she met the griffins ... and Pandora was quite busy ... and Jerry might not have enough power yet ... on the other hand, how long can take marking someone? Let's say I will be surprised just a little.

16 minutes ago, Stature said:

Oh gee oh golly oh shucks will Adrian think about this further?

Will he try oooo-eee-oooo like on Grace and Ellen? I'm sure it would tell him Susan is awakened immediately, although that may not be the most important information now.

And even if Susan won't realize what it may be, detective Diane might get suspicious ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

And even if Susan won't realize it, detective Diane might get suspicious ...

I've already said Adrian Raven could have been Sherlock Holmes. Maybe it runs in the family?

Sigh ... Sherlock Holmes was expert singlestick player, boxer and swordsman. While Mr. Raven already shown to be experienced swordman, he is quite limited in how can he utilize such abilities ; Holmes didn't shown such restrains as far as I remember.

Well damn. I'm going to take this as essentially confirmation of what I've been convinced is true since this strip.

Also, does Diane perhaps have an innate ability to sense magical power? Kind of like Raven does? Neat.

5 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

Also, does Diane perhaps have an innate ability to sense magical power? Kind of like Raven does? Neat.

Raven only has such ability in elf form, so probably not.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:
5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes ... it seems Mr. Raven is doing something else than just going to buy something ...

I think we overlooked one reason that Adrian could be at the mall.

Charity work helping military veterans.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Sigh ... Sherlock Holmes was expert singlestick player, boxer and swordsman. While Mr. Raven already shown to be experienced swordman, he is quite limited in how can he utilize such abilities ; Holmes didn't shown such restrains as far as I remember.

Swordfighting skill is rare now, but in Holmes day, not so much, especially among Brits and Continentals. Duels were still being fought. And I don't believe the Holmes portrayed by Conan Doyle actually did much swordplay. I think that's more a product of all those Basil Rathbone portrayals of Holmes. Rathbone was one of the best swordsmen in the movies. HIs duels with Errol Flynn in Captain Blood and Tyrone Power in Zorro are maybe the best ever put on film.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, it will end with remains of horde of aberration mercenaries all over the floor. :)

I feel sorry for the mall's janitors.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Raven only has such ability in elf form, so probably not.

He has that ability in his human form, but it's much weaker or something along those lines. He had to focus on Ellen to get a good read on her while he was in his human form. Diane is focusing her attention on Susan and Mr. Raven right now, so it's not out of the question, but I think the vibes she's getting are less supernatural and more subconscious reading of body language.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think we overlooked one reason that Adrian could be at the mall.

Charity work helping military veterans.

It makes sense, though it raises the question of why is Mr. Raven standing behind the table instead of sitting at it? There are plenty of simple answers though (just getting there; getting up to get a drink of water; getting tired of sitting down for an extended period of time)

2 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

It makes sense, though it raises the question of why is Mr. Raven standing behind the table instead of sitting at it? There are plenty of simple answers though (just getting there; getting up to get a drink of water; getting tired of sitting down for an extended period of time)

Or standing up in surprise when he saw Diane walking toward him with Susan?

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I recall one strip explaining magic terminology, with someone (Susan or Nanase, I think) for "awakened", Sarah (this was after she got her mark) as "dreaming" and Diane as "sleeping". That might have just been mainpulative misdirection, but I still would be surprised. However, I'm pretty sure there are ways for sleeping people to start dreaming without a mark (or are you trying to tell me Nanase and Elliot were born dreaming?), so I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened during such things as a fight in the mall.

EDIT: Here's the comic in question: http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2193

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe Susan will offer sword to Mr. Raven as well, just to find out he doesn't need one?

She already knows he knows how to fight, so I'd say that's a really big "maybe".

2 hours ago, Niranufoti said:

I recall one strip explaining magic terminology, with someone (Susan or Nanase, I think) for "awakened", Sarah (this was after she got her mark) as "dreaming" and Diane as "sleeping". That might have just been mainpulative misdirection, but I still would be surprised. However, I'm pretty sure there are ways for sleeping people to start dreaming without a mark (or are you trying to tell me Nanase and Elliot were born dreaming?), so I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened during such things as a fight in the mall.

Nanase and Elliot were both Dreaming thanks to Anime Style Martial Arts, which is why Les Immortels were able to Awaken Nanase so easily but could only Mark Susan.  However, Elliot, Nanase, and Justin were the only people able to acquire magic via ASMA.  It just didn't work for other students.  So, they may not have been born Dreaming, but they were born with the capacity to Dream, something not true of anyone else in the dojo (except of course Greg, but we still don't know exactly what his deal is).

Pandora's trip to the mall didn't seem to find many people who she couldn't Mark, but that may just be observation bias -- we were only shown people she paid attention to, and there could have been any number of people she just passed by without a thought because she sensed no potential in them.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

So, they may not have been born Dreaming, but they were born with the capacity to Dream,

Nanase was certainly the most likely due to her family lineage.

Something I just thought of,  considering the comic where Grace questions the illusion Adrian put on her is referenced in the commentary as "relevant" I'm going to guess that seeing Susan is reminding him of that. I wonder if Adrian's going to come to the conclusion that his statement that he couldn't have children is false before Pandora tells him. If so that could be bad as Adrian might assume that Pandora intentionally lied to him about it when she only just realized that one of her previous lives lied about it.

52 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Pandora's trip to the mall didn't seem to find many people who she couldn't Mark, but that may just be observation bias -- we were only shown people she paid attention to, and there could have been any number of people she just passed by without a thought because she sensed no potential in them.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Something I just thought of,  considering the comic where Grace questions the illusion Adrian put on her is referenced in the commentary as "relevant" I'm going to guess that seeing Susan is reminding him of that. I wonder if Adrian's going to come to the conclusion that his statement that he couldn't have children is false before Pandora tells him. If so that could be bad as Adrian might assume that Pandora intentionally lied to him about it she only just realized that one of her previous lives lied abou

I've been coming back to Susan's face in Grace's mirror, which is the second reference link Dan gives in his commentary, and what Pandora said to Sarah on her very recent visit: "Of course they were his." Pandora almost certainly had to be referring to Diane and Susan because she knows what Adrian looks like in his true form, the form Grace saw when she was checking her enchanted image and saw Susan looking back at her. That doesn't quite seal the deal that Adrian is Susan and Diane's father because Pandora didn't say his what. Children? Grandkids? Descendents? But probability favors the first choice, children.

Probability also favors that Adrian doesn't know he has children because he's surprised to see how much Susan looks like Diane. But he might not have seen them since they were infants, and he might have something like the same mental block Nanase had not noticing how much Diane looked like Susan until Ellen and Grace pointed it out to Nanase on their first day at Moperville South.

Whether Adrian knows or doesn't know he has children, there's a lot of 'splainin to do, to quote Ricky Ricardo. And that's another reason why I think Pandora might make an appearance soon. And, yes, I think there's a good chance Pandora has already marked Diane. She's had that little chat with Jerry 2.0 and would know from him that Diane has the same magical affinity as Susan but wasn't able to use it to defend herself. Given that Jerry 2.0 figured they were twin sisters on New Year's Eve, and was right there when Ellen and Nanase told Susan about Diane, and that Jerry was further investigating Susan and Diane between that and meeting Pandora, Pandora should know quite a lot about Susan and Diane by now.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

That doesn't quite seal the deal that Adrian is Susan and Diane's father because Pandora didn't say his what. Children? Grandkids? Descendents? But probability favors the first choice, children.

Them being his children doesn't make sense to me though because it puts into question who Mr Pompoms was, it couldn't have been Adrian because that would have meant that Adrian lived with Susan for several years, but that couldn't be because Adrian would have question the legitimacy of him being the father when Mrs Pompoms became pregnant. I also don't think Mrs Pompoms would have had her own affair as it would turn her into a hypocrite and the revelation that not only did she have an affair as well, but had passed Susan off at being Mr Pompom's daughter would just crush Susan.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

And, yes, I think there's a good chance Pandora has already marked Diane.

I honestly don't think Pandora has marked anyone since the Card Tournament, Sarah and Tedd were likely the last ones that she marked, and I don't believe that after the revelation of her possible relation to Diane and Susan that she would mark Diane without appearing to her and explaining everything. Pandora's got a lot on her plate right now between her talks with Sarah and Tedd and Jerry 2.0, she knows what Susan's capable of, she know's Jerry's watching them, she doesn't want to complicate things further.

@Scotty: Your opinion's your opinion, but I don't think you've effectively refuted the arguments I just made. 

Nothing is more important to Pandora than protecting her family, and as far as we know Diane hasn't had a potential guardian nearby for most of the time since she was attacked. If Pandora thought marking Diane would make her safer, I think she would have done it. As for Jerry 2.0's protection, better than nothing, but he has doubts about protecting himself.

And the possible nasty implications of Adrian being Susan's true father don't decrease the probability that he is, and are more likely to have inspired a lot of effort in covering up those circumstances. Remember, Susan comes from a very wealthy family, and wealthy families generally have more resources and more reasons for fiddling with official records.

And then there's Dan himself referring back to the first hint that Adrian was really Susan's father he dropped more than a thousand comics ago in the commentary for this comic. Think he's just being cute with us?

Edited by Tom Sewell
Cleaning up grammer and style.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And then there's Dan himself referring back to the first hint that Adrian was really Susan's father he dropped more than a thousand comics ago in the commentary for this comic. Think he's just being cute with us?

Of course not.  The Dan that can be understood is not the true Dan.  And The Dan isn't cute, at least in that context any way.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

@Scotty: Your opinion's your opinion, but I don't think you've effectively refuted the arguments I just made. 

Nothing is more important to Pandora than protecting her family, and as far as we know Diane hasn't had a potential guardian nearby for most of the time since she was attacked. If Pandora thought marking Diane would make her safer, I think she would have done it. As for Jerry 2.0's protection, better than nothing, but he has doubts about protecting himself.

And the possible nasty implications of Adrian being Susan's true father don't decrease the probability that he is, and are more likely to have inspired a lot of effort in covering up those circumstances. Remember, Susan comes from a very wealthy family, and wealthy families generally have more resources and more reasons for fiddling with official records.

In regards to marking Diane, I just don't think Pandora would do so in secret. Pandora wanted to talk to Adrian about it before she told anyone else, I would think she'd want to wait unto after she did that before she goes and introduces herself to Diane and Susan and that would be the best opportunity to offer to mark Diane. Pandora is trying to focus on not messing things up even further so marking relatives without their consent wouldn't be on her to do list.

In regards to Adrian's relation to Susan and Diane, it just doesn't make sense for Adrian to not remember Susan if she was his daughter, and not question if Diane was his as well. You state that it could be possible he didn't notice any resemblance between him and Diane because Nanase didn't see any resemblance between Diane and Susan until it was pointed out, but again, if Adrian was Mr Pompoms then he should remember living with Susan for several years, I would think that Adrian would not forget that so easily. Also I just can't see Adrian living such a double life being Mr. Raven the teacher at MSHS and Mr. Pompoms the cheating cheater who cheats. I would also think that Pandora would have known about this as well and probably not approved. It would make a lot more sense if Adrian had a relationship with a woman several decades ago, got her pregnant but was convinced that it couldn't have been his, and that child grew up to be Susan and Diane's father.

In regards to Dan's comment about it back then, he could still have been dropping hints, but not be entirely accurate about it, like the twist that Susan was related to Adrian would be true, but saying that Adrian's her father wouldn't necessarily be accurate.