• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Friday Oct 13 2017

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Here is

Mad with power.  I can see that.

The question is, was Hanma refering to Liz, or Elliot in the last panel? If it's Elliot, my guess would be that they go mad with power together, and go on a spree of transforming jerks into they types of people they're being jerks to everywhere.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The question is, was Hanma refering to Liz, or Elliot in the last panel? If it's Elliot, my guess would be that they go mad with power together, and go on a spree of transforming jerks into they types of people they're being jerks to everywhere.

I was thinking maybe Tedd.

Hanma, this is NOT a way to make her stop worrying ...

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Here is

Mad with power.  I can see that.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, partner555 said:

She's only met Tedd in passing so far, she doesn't really know him yet.

Unless Tedd was the one she was internet dating with. Although, frankly, it's almost as if Hanma was saying "given who LIZ know" ... but we don't know about Liz knowing anyone Ashley don't, do we?

27 minutes ago, Stature said:

Maddened with power, in a "sandbox" game. And possibly in reality.

She and Tedd must have some sort of a showdown soon.

Unless she is also seer, Tedd will win by wide margin. ... wait, you didn't mean transformation battle?

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Unless Tedd was the one she was internet dating with. Although, frankly, it's almost as if Hanma was saying "given who LIZ know" ... but we don't know about Liz knowing anyone Ashley don't, do we?

True, but that revelation hasn't come forth yet and still, she doesn't know that Tedd's a wandmaker (well no one else knows either as far as we know, though I'd be surprised if he hasn't told Grace in the morning, though maybe he's waiting for a good moment to tell everyone at once?)

I'm pretty certain Hanma was addressing Ashley given Ashley's response, not only was she facing Ashley when she said so, but Liz's statement was that Ashley worried about going mad with power, Hanma's just saying that's inevitable anyway.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:
34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

True, but that revelation hasn't come forth yet and still, she doesn't know that Tedd's a wandmaker (well no one else knows either as far as we know, though I'd be surprised if he hasn't told Grace in the morning, though maybe he's waiting for a good moment to tell everyone at once?)

Given how late he was awake, I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't be awake enough to tell her before she went to the school. I'm not sure how universal it is, but I remember school mornings being rather hectic ...

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain Hanma was addressing Ashley given Ashley's response, not only was she facing Ashley when she said so, but Liz's statement was that Ashley worried about going mad with power, Hanma's just saying that's inevitable anyway.

The emphasis on "you" seems weird to me in such case. Would put it on "who", if anything. On the other hand of course the "Don't worry" is addressed to Ashley ... it's just confusing. I think Dan meant to drop some hint with that "you" but failed to convey the meaning.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

The emphasis on "you" seems weird to me in such case. Would put it on "who", if anything.

Not really, the emphasis on "you" does fit given that Hanma is looking at Ashley. If the "you" was for Liz, it would be even weirder that Hanma isn't looking at Liz.

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:
47 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The emphasis on "you" seems weird to me in such case. Would put it on "who", if anything.

Not really, the emphasis on "you" does fit given that Hanma is looking at Ashley. If the "you" was for Liz, it would be even weirder that Hanma isn't looking at Liz.

That's true, but just because the alternative is weirder doesn't mean it's not weird.

As I said: I think Dan meant to drop some hint with that "you" but failed to convey the meaning. Current version might be result of several rewrites.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unless she is also seer, Tedd will win by wide margin. ... wait, you didn't mean transformation battle?

Lips are sealed on that one :P

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's true, but just because the alternative is weirder doesn't mean it's not weird.

As I said: I think Dan meant to drop some hint with that "you" but failed to convey the meaning. Current version might be result of several rewrites.

Given that in canon, Liz doesn't know what Ashley's gotten herself into by dating Elliot, the emphasis on "you" as referring to Ashley would be more for the benefit of being vague in front of Liz, not vague for us. Dan's been pretty open about what canon stuff he shows us in this*, I don't thing he'd suddenly be vague about this.

*In the case of the previous scene with Nanase's family, it is canon that Mama Kitsune knows that Nanase's become a magic user, Nanase is 100% certain that her mom knows but isn't keen of discussing anything with her yet. And Akiko has witnessed someone using magic, so their interaction in a non canon situation doesn't reveal any new canon info.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:25 PM, Scotty said:
On 10/13/2017 at 8:24 PM, partner555 said:

She's only met Tedd in passing so far, she doesn't really know him yet.

No, but she does know Elliot, and Elliot knows Tedd. If Ashley wanted a means to transform herself and willing people, I'm certain Elliot could ask Tedd to make her something that could forward that goal and I don't think Tedd would object, especially if Elliot or Ashley paid for the needed materials (which might not be much if Tedd decided to go the wand route. I don't think EGS wands require exotic core materials like unicorn hair or phoenix feathers).

6 hours ago, Drasvin said:

No, but she does know Elliot, and Elliot knows Tedd. If Ashley wanted a means to transform herself and willing people, I'm certain Elliot could ask Tedd to make her something that could forward that goal and I don't think Tedd would object, especially if Elliot or Ashley paid for the needed materials (which might not be much if Tedd decided to go the wand route. I don't think EGS wands require exotic core materials like unicorn hair or phoenix feathers).

If the magic reset won't happen, Tedd can just give Ashley some watches. Those are very cheap.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If the magic reset won't happen, Tedd can just give Ashley some watches. Those are very cheap.

That depends on if there's enough ambient energy around for them to work.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Right. Although presumably it would take some time before the ambient energy gets back at normal values, and Ashley's own magic might get somewhere meanwhile.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Right. Although presumably it would take some time before the ambient energy gets back at normal values, and Ashley's own magic might get somewhere meanwhile.

I dunno, with Sarah clearing up a lot of the ambient energy with her spell so that there'd be no issues when removing the dam, the energy level will be lower when the flow gets going again.

As Sarah's taking chomps out and the energy will try to fill in the holes, but if she's using up more energy than is flowing into the area, then the boundary of the reservoir is likely shrinking.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, Scotty said:
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:34 AM, hkmaly said:

The user of the watch can supply their own energy for the built-in spell, just the ambient energy functions as an additional source for those with insufficient personal energy or that don't want to exhaust themselves, and all living things produce some amount of magical energy. I'm not sure Ashley has enough personal energy to cast a transformation spell, but it's not impossible.

7 hours ago, Drasvin said:

The user of the watch can supply their own energy for the built-in spell, just the ambient energy functions as an additional source for those with insufficient personal energy or that don't want to exhaust themselves, and all living things produce some amount of magical energy. I'm not sure Ashley has enough personal energy to cast a transformation spell, but it's not impossible.

When Tedd was told that the watches wouldn't work anywhere else in the world, it seemed a given that they'd be severely limited in who would be able to use them, like high powered awakened magic users. Tedd of course could, he's a well of power after all. Nanase might be able to use them, but it'd be unlikely that anyone else could.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Drasvin said:

When Tedd was told that the watches wouldn't work anywhere else in the world, it seemed a given that they'd be severely limited in who would be able to use them, like high powered awakened magic users. Tedd of course could, he's a well of power after all. Nanase might be able to use them, but it'd be unlikely that anyone else could.

I don't think Rhoda would have any problem using them ...

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I dunno, with Sarah clearing up a lot of the ambient energy with her spell so that there'd be no issues when removing the dam, the energy level will be lower when the flow gets going again.

As Sarah's taking chomps out and the energy will try to fill in the holes, but if she's using up more energy than is flowing into the area, then the boundary of the reservoir is likely shrinking.

Right, Pandora didn't bothered specifying where should Sarah be using the energy which can mean she's really using energy from most of Moperville ...

... hmmm, ok, it seems Ashley will have problem using them.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I imagine any awakened magic user capable of a similarly powerful spell as whatever is in the watch could use them, but yeah, likely not much use for what Tedd originally wanted the watches for, giving power to the unpowered, outside of strange fringe cases (Maybe someone has a large energy reserve but hasn't yet tipped over into Awakened for some reason or another?)

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I imagine any awakened magic user capable of a similarly powerful spell as whatever is in the watch could use them, but yeah, likely not much use for what Tedd originally wanted the watches for, giving power to the unpowered, outside of strange fringe cases (Maybe someone has a large energy reserve but hasn't yet tipped over into Awakened for some reason or another?)

Weeell, there is Sarah. I mean magic users who got marked with hard-to-cast spell. Those presumably can get into situation where they already had considerably energy reserve but didn't get into awakened yet and the watches can be easier for them that their own spell.

... but she might be strange fringe case.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Since Tedd has now learned to craft actual wands, it may be a moot point as wands can store more energy

We started the conversation with the fact that we don't know how much wand costs but we do know how much the watches cost.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We started the conversation with the fact that we don't know how much wand costs but we do know how much the watches cost.

Ah yes, sorry. I missed that. I was only thinking of the energy bit -- my apologies.