• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Monday October 16, 2017

Yeah, Adrian Raven has condition ... namely being an elf ... and he doesn't know Susan knows and Diane doesn't know ...

So, Raven senses Susan's power and is more suspicious. Meanwhile, Susan is less suspicious because she blames the charity, which Adrian really does for decades, unless it's centuries.

Now ... did Diane noticed something she will speak about on next page?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Now ... did Diane noticed something she will speak about on next page?

Maybe not the next page, but I suspect that what Diane has been sensing is what Raven is sensing. Diane doesn't know that it's magic--very powerful magic because Diane hasn't seem to sense it from Nanase or the griffiins.

44 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Wait, elves can detect magic potential in their descendants? More easily than with others?

That seems to be what this is leaning towards. I think it also lends credence to my theory that Diane is sensing their power as well. I had thought it was just an innate ability she had, but if it's because they're related that makes more sense.

Adrian looks rather troubled by these oddities. I hope it doesn't end up distracting him when the bad things start happening later.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Focus, Susan." What does that mean? As in "Never mind the half-immortal for now, focus on Diane."? Or "Where did I see him before? When?"?

Likely the former. She has a workable explanation for where she's seen Mr. Raven. She's been to the mall before and Adrian likely sets up his table regularly.

6 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

She's been to the mall before and Adrian likely sets up his table regularly.

Both clauses probably true. However, Susan has never been shown in the mall before, and put together with her recent concerns with yucky walls and yuckier seats in the food court, she probably doesn't go often. And if Adrian regularly sets up his table, Friday evenings seem like a good regular time. Susan had to get this Friday off.

But, yes, more likely Susan is telling herself to focus on Diane. Whether or not Susan will be able to get Mr. Raven out of her mind remains to be seen.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

She's been to the mall before and Adrian likely sets up his table regularly.

Both clauses probably true. However, Susan has never been shown in the mall before, and put together with her recent concerns with yucky walls and yuckier seats in the food court, she probably doesn't go often. And if Adrian regularly sets up his table, Friday evenings seem like a good regular time. Susan had to get this Friday off.

But, yes, more likely Susan is telling herself to focus on Diane. Whether or not Susan will be able to get Mr. Raven out of her mind remains to be seen.

It's obvious Adrian sees her for first time, as he would not overlook it in past. Therefore, she likely didn't saw Adrian before either. However, she can easily ASSUME she did, despite some logical reason (like Adrian setting the table regularly in Friday) preventing that.

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Adrian looks rather troubled by these oddities. I hope it doesn't end up distracting him when the bad things start happening later.

Well ... his reactions are less than optimal likely due to lack of training ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's obvious Adrian sees her for first time, as he would not overlook it in past.

Unless perhaps the last time he saw her she was blonde, five years old, and Tiffany. It's interesting that Susan didn't say "Susan Pompoms" when introducing herself to a man she's supposed to have never met before. But maybe Dan forgot he gave Susan a last name.

I would really rather have Adrian not be the cheating dad that Susan remembers, but the possibility is still open. Maybe Adrian was involved with two different women at the same time, got both pregnant, and had do decide which one he was going to marry--assuming the other one told him she was pregnant. Anyway, if Adrian is the cheating dad Susan remembers, he probably made himself look younger (and maybe fabricated another identity apart from the old schoolteacher he's been playing for maybe too long) and Susan may be seeing a family resemblance between Adrian as he appeared when he was with her mother and Adrian as he is now.

However Dan works this out, seems pretty certain now that Susan and Diane are descendants of Adrian Raven. The big questions  are how many generations between them, and who is (are) their biological mother(s).

I think I may have speculated on this before, but I'm going to throw it out here anyway. What if Raven is Susan's mother? Switching sexes is hardly off-the-table in El Goonish Shive. Pandora posed as Agent Wolf once, so she's not averse to taking male forms. Would it be off the table for her son? If Adrian wanted to establish a second identity before abandoning his current one, a sexy young blonde would be a good form, unlikely to be connected with a weird old history teacher.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's obvious Adrian sees her for first time, as he would not overlook it in past.

Unless perhaps the last time he saw her she was blonde, five years old, and Tiffany.

... and not awakened, sure.

It's interesting that Susan didn't say "Susan Pompoms" when introducing herself to a man she's supposed to have never met before. But maybe Dan forgot he gave Susan a last name.

I'm introducing myself just with first name all the time. Granted, in situations where some familiarity is expected, like on conventions to people who pretends they can be friends with someone after hour of talking (maybe they actually CAN. I will enjoy the talk but won't remember them next year.)

In situation like this, I'm surprised she introduced herself AT ALL.

I would really rather have Adrian not be the cheating dad that Susan remembers, but the possibility is still open. Maybe Adrian was involved with two different women at the same time, got both pregnant, and had do decide which one he was going to marry--assuming the other one told him she was pregnant.

Remember that he would expect it wasn't him who got them pregnant.

Anyway, if Adrian is the cheating dad Susan remembers, he probably made himself look younger (and maybe fabricated another identity apart from the old schoolteacher he's been playing for maybe too long) and Susan may be seeing a family resemblance between Adrian as he appeared when he was with her mother and Adrian as he is now.

I don't think Adrian is good enough to fake second identity (he's barely faking his main one) and he's unlikely to cheat, much less to have sex.

I think I may have speculated on this before, but I'm going to throw it out here anyway. What if Raven is Susan's mother? Switching sexes is hardly off-the-table in El Goonish Shive. Pandora posed as Agent Wolf once, so she's not averse to taking male forms. Would it be off the table for her son? If Adrian wanted to establish a second identity before abandoning his current one, a sexy young blonde would be a good form, unlikely to be connected with a weird old history teacher.

There are lot of jokes about girls not getting they are pregnant, but I'm pretty sure no matter how convinced about his infertility Raven is, he WOULD notice giving birth. :)

So, no matter how likely is for Raven to play girl, he certainly didn't have child as one.

The option of Raven being Susan's mother father AND the other woman with Susan's face mother father is still open, though.

Yeah, Adrian being Susan's mother seems pretty unlikely, unless maybe Adrian can make two of himself. His mom can make at least four; she did it in her first appearance, and then again when she met the Emissary of magic. Or she seemed to do it; it could have been illusion, and in the second example, just a convention of showing Box in multiple views in the same panel as she runs around.

But Adrian being her father? Very likely now, I think. 

Dan has never shown the face of Susan's cheating dad, and in three different comics, Dan actually blacked out his face:

1. #575, panel 1 
  2. #839, panel 8 
  3. #840, panel 1 

So as far back as ten years ago, Dan was concealing the identity of Susan's cheating dad. Kind of suggests that he was saving a big surprise, doesn't it?

Ten years is a long time. It only took six years for George Lucas to change Princess Leia into Luke's sister, and maybe as little as three considering how she was heating things up with Han Solo in Empire. But I think Dan was planning on revealing the surprise identity of Susan's cheating dad later ten years back, or at least giving himself that option.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Or of Raven being the grandnfather of Susan's cheating father who is also Diane's cheating father. (n being an integer probably between 0 and 3.)

That's the most likely explanation, yes. I was commenting that some others, while less likely, are also still possible.

53 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yeah, Adrian being Susan's mother seems pretty unlikely, unless maybe Adrian can make two of himself. His mom can make at least four; she did it in her first appearance, and then again when she met the Emissary of magic. Or she seemed to do it; it could have been illusion, and in the second example, just a convention of showing Box in multiple views in the same panel as she runs around.

I would assume Pandora's shapeshifting is really THAT versatile, however even like this she can't actually get too far from herself: she can have multiple bodies but close to each other.

Meanwhile, I don't think Adrian's shapeshifting is nearly that versatile.

55 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan has never shown the face of Susan's cheating dad, and in three different comics, Dan actually blacked out his face:

1. #575, panel 1 
  2. #839, panel 8 
  3. #840, panel 1 

So as far back as ten years ago, Dan was concealing the identity of Susan's cheating dad. Kind of suggests that he was saving a big surprise, doesn't it?

If he would look like Adrian Raven, he would have different hair color. If he would use shapeshifting or transformation magic to look differently, he wouldn't need to look like himself at all.

Just family resemblance could be enough reason to black the face. Also, Noriko was similarly blacked, yet we can be sure she's not Adrian Raven (unless Raven really can be at two places at once).

57 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ten years is a long time. It only took six years for George Lucas to change Princess Leia into Luke's sister, and maybe as little as three considering how she was heating things up with Han Solo in Empire. But I think Dan was planning on revealing the surprise identity of Susan's cheating dad later ten years back, or at least giving himself that option.

I think that due to greater evolutionary pressure on webcomics artists the successful ones are much better - especially regarding continuity - than commercial authors like George Lucas, not speaking about what you get if multiple scenarists/writers are writing one character.