• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

The Pharaoh Returns

I am back and I am sorry for being away for so long.

First, I'm certain the weather had many of you were worried about me.  Let me assure you that even though Irma made a big mess here in Florida, I was not hard hit.

I had to evacuate to a shelter a little farther inland called "Buffalo Creek Middle School".  I know I've said this before, but a lot of places here in Florida sound like generic or fictional names.  This was certainly no exception.  Let me say that the Red Cross, along with the school district, the Sheriff's department, and the National Guard ran the shelter well.  It could have been a lot worse.  But if you ever look at news footage and see shelters full of cots, don't believe it.  I spent three days with just a thin blanket over a cold, tile floor.  One of my first purchases afterward was an air mattress with a battery powered air pump.

Next, why is a crazy Danish princess attacking Ireland?

Ok.  I have a lot of comics to read and a lot of threads on which to mindlessly pontificate.  This could take a while.   But it would probably be unrealistic of me to request No Spoilers, so go ahead and talk about this, that, and the other thing.

Welcome back!  I live within a short walk from Buffalo Creek Forest Preserve, so the name doesn't sound at all made-up to me.  I'm glad you had a place to go, and sorry it wasn't more comfortable.  At least it's more comfortable than a sarcophagus!

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I spent three days with just a thin blanket over a cold, tile floor.  One of my first purchases afterward was an air mattress with a battery powered air pump.

Welcome to life in a low-budget drum & bugle corps from the early 80s. ;)

Seriously, welcome back!

Welcome back, Pharaoh! It is very good to see you. :)

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Welcome back!  I live within a short walk from Buffalo Creek Forest Preserve, so the name doesn't sound at all made-up to me.

This may just be me but to me 'Buffalo Creek Forest Preserve' sounds a bit like some hyper-green brand name for jam. :icon_eek:

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Next, why is a crazy Danish princess attacking Ireland?

She isn't crazy! She just has anger management issues.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know I've said this before, but a lot of places here in Florida sound like generic or fictional names.

Florida? Hardly unique.

My mother-in-law lives in the Target Range area of Missoula. There's a town in Texas named Point & Shoot. Not to far from the latter is a building with a sign out front: "Security First Baptist Church" - I'm working on a vague idea for a story where it makes sense for churches to be named like banks... (the reality, of course, is that the church is in the town of Security).

Then in parts of Washington you get names that look like badly-transcribed Klingon. Such as Kuakuitl.

47 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Florida? Hardly unique.

My mother-in-law lives in the Target Range area of Missoula. There's a town in Texas named Point & Shoot. Not to far from the latter is a building with a sign out front: "Security First Baptist Church" - I'm working on a vague idea for a story where it makes sense for churches to be named like banks... (the reality, of course, is that the church is in the town of Security).

Then in parts of Washington you get names that look like badly-transcribed Klingon. Such as Kuakuitl.

Back in Oklahoma you have some odd Indian names that look like translated Klingon.  For example Tenkiller Lake.  Or the former chief of the Cherokees.  Wilma Mankiller.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Back in Oklahoma you have some odd Indian names that look like translated Klingon.  For example Tenkiller Lake.  Or the former chief of the Cherokees.  Wilma Mankiller.

In Denmark we have some town and place names that make me wonder about the people who named them. Like the town of "Longbuttock." Or the suburb of Copenhagen named "Bedless." (Translated from Danish.)

We just steal place names from everywhere else, usually changing the pronunciation.  Cairo, IL is pronounced like Karo Syrup.  We've got a Paris, a Metropolis, a Geneva, a Woodstock, West Point and Mt Vernon, even a Harvard, a Cambridge, and a Princeton.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

We just steal place names from everywhere else, usually changing the pronunciation.  Cairo, IL is pronounced like Karo Syrup.  We've got a Paris, a Metropolis, a Geneva, a Woodstock, West Point and Mt Vernon, even a Harvard, a Cambridge, and a Princeton.

Oh, I know. Just in New Jersey I noticed that you have a Copenhagen. Which lies within spitting distance of Carthage.