• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday October 18, 2017

Wait. Save Kangaroo ... by pouch fresheners? I don't think anyone needs more information to verify THAT charity is scam.

Seems Susan is not that experienced in lying either. Best lie is 90%+ truth. "I heard about Mr. Raven from Ellen and Nanase." She doesn't need to say WHAT she heard, just imply that it was enough to convince her.

Hmmm ... would Diane really give something if she had cash? I don't think so. She's too used to be poor. Actually, maybe she DOES have cash and is just better liar.

23 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Especially not American kangaroos.

Hmmmm ... people DID saw some kangaroos in USA. Although if those were really kangaroos, they likely escaped from some illegal circus or something and best way to save them would be to return them to Australia, as their population is unlikely to have enough genetic variety for long-term survival.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmmm ... people DID saw some kangaroos in USA. Although if those were really kangaroos, they likely escaped from some illegal circus or something and best way to save them would be to return them to Australia, as their population is unlikely to have enough genetic variety for long-term survival.

Do you really believe that 'charity' had any intention of benefiting them?

America was once home to lions that dwarfed modern tigers, non-European horses, camels, and a giant sloth of truly amazing size, but I've never run into any claims of fossil evidence of native kangaroos....

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Seems Susan is not that experienced in lying either. Best lie is 90%+ truth. "I heard about Mr. Raven from Ellen and Nanase." She doesn't need to say WHAT she heard, just imply that it was enough to convince her.

She's probably going to end up saying that, or maybe Diane will jump to that conclusion, on Friday. Diane does know that Ellen and Nanase knows Susan personally, they're the reason Susan and Diane are meeting.  I wonder though if Diane knew that Adrian had been taken to the hospital the day of the "gas leak and crazed stalker from Ellen's past" and might assume that Adrian tried to protect Ellen.

Hmmm ... would Diane really give something if she had cash? I don't think so. She's too used to be poor. Actually, maybe she DOES have cash and is just better liar.

We don't really know how rich or poor her adopted family was. My impression is that they were comfortable enough to adopted two kids, they're already putting one through college and they probably plan on Diane going to college as well. Diane doesn't have a job that we know of so we don't know if she's got her own income or still on an allowance. The fact that she has a card doesn't mean much, debit cards are easy to get and don't require a steady income.

Kangaroo man is either an obvious fraud or someone with a very loose grasp on reality. I'm inclined to think the first one, but strange things do happen with some regularity in Moperville.

The way this comic develops is:

1. Diane feels bad about not contributing.
  2. Susan comforts her by saying she doesn't donate to every charity and that checking them out first is a good idea.
  3. Susan brushes fends off Kangaroo Man with just three words.
  4. Diane asks why Susan gave to Mr. Raven's charity without checking it out first.
  5. Susan decides she shouldn't tell Diane just yet what she knows about Mr. Raven and why she knows it.
  6. Susan lies ineffectively.
  7. Diane calls Susan on her lying.

Seems pretty straightforward, right? But what is the why behind point four?

Maybe the real reason is that Diane has already noticed how strangely Susan behaved around Mr. Raven. Mr. Raven probably has the undisputed Teacher From Hell title at Moperville South so it would be natural that Diane would be nervous--but Susan isn't supposed to know Mr. Raven at all.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Seems pretty straightforward, right? But what is the why behind point four?

Maybe the real reason is that Diane has already noticed how strangely Susan behaved around Mr. Raven. Mr. Raven probably has the undisputed Teacher From Hell title at Moperville South so it would be natural that Diane would be nervous--but Susan isn't supposed to know Mr. Raven at all.

Well Susan herself told us why she didn't want to tell Diane how she knew about Adrian already, nor did she apparently want to get into the fact that he felt strangely familiar to her even though she could have just said she probably seen him at the mall numerous times before and felt he was trustworthy, Diane might have believed that better.

As for undisputed teacher from hell, I would dispute that, he acted pretty strangely early on with regards to Ellen and Grace, and from Nanase's perspective, he expects hard work from students especially if he feels they have a lot of potential. The fact that Nanase's mom doesn't like him much is likely due to what happened between Edward and Noriko, though it might have also been due to him trying to get her to embrace her magic aptitude if she didn't want to. We do have evidence that  Adrian isn't hellish in how he treats his students, I mean he tries to give good advice.

In a slightly related note. I had mentioned in an earlier thread about what Susan knew about Adrian, I think I forgot to mention that Grace had told Adrian about Jerry. I would imagine that Susan didn't want to mention knowing Ellen, Grace and Nanase, nor Jerry because she might not have wanted to reveal Adrian's true nature to Diane just yet.

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Do you really believe that 'charity' had any intention of benefiting them?

I'm not sure people in that "charity" ever saw kangaroo with their own eyes. If there are any "people". May be private action of that single person.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She's probably going to end up saying that, or maybe Diane will jump to that conclusion, on Friday. Diane does know that Ellen and Nanase knows Susan personally, they're the reason Susan and Diane are meeting.  I wonder though if Diane knew that Adrian had been taken to the hospital the day of the "gas leak and crazed stalker from Ellen's past" and might assume that Adrian tried to protect Ellen.

Hmmmm ... unless Adrian spent multiple days in the hospital, why would Diane know he was there? On the other hand, if she knows, yes, him trying to protect Ellen makes sense given the official explanation.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We don't really know how rich or poor her adopted family was. My impression is that they were comfortable enough to adopted two kids, they're already putting one through college and they probably plan on Diane going to college as well. Diane doesn't have a job that we know of so we don't know if she's got her own income or still on an allowance. The fact that she has a card doesn't mean much, debit cards are easy to get and don't require a steady income.

She is dating boys for money. No matter how much money her family has, SHE personally doesn't seem to have that much. Unless she's doing it just for sport and the money are way to keep score.

The family might have enough money for two kids in college just because they were saving for that since they adopted them. Or maybe they just think giving her bigger allowance would be spoiling her.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

In a slightly related note. I had mentioned in an earlier thread about what Susan knew about Adrian, I think I forgot to mention that Grace had told Adrian about Jerry. I would imagine that Susan didn't want to mention knowing Ellen, Grace and Nanase, nor Jerry because she might not have wanted to reveal Adrian's true nature to Diane just yet.

Diane already knows Susan know Ellen and Nanase. They helped them to meet. Better not mention Grace, yes - Diane certainly knows Grace is friend with Ellen and Nanase but Susan doesn't know about that.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

As for undisputed teacher from hell, I would dispute that, he acted pretty strangely early on with regards to Ellen and Grace, and from Nanase's perspective, he expects hard work from students especially if he feels they have a lot of potential. The fact that Nanase's mom doesn't like him much is likely due to what happened between Edward and Noriko, though it might have also been due to him trying to get her to embrace her magic aptitude if she didn't want to.

I would expect that potential is USUALLY magic potential. So far we know he picked following favourites: Nanase, Justin, Noah, Grace, Ellen, Edward, Noriko, Mrs. Kitsune. And yes, it seems Mrs. Kitsune didn't like to embrace her magic, although what happened with Noriko certainly didn't make their relationship better. She still rather send Nanase to the school he's teaching in ... was it because she realized it will be useful? Or because alternative would be having her in same school as Tedd?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or because alternative would be having her in same school as Tedd?

That's a very interesting question. Since there didn't seem to be any problem getting Ellen to go to a different school than Elliot, Nanase probably could have gone to either school. She lives just a couple of miles from Tedd, so she can't be that far out of the North High district.

In fact, maybe the question is why doesn't Tedd go to Moperville South? Maybe the Verres home is in Moperville South's district. If Edward inherited it, it would make perfect sense.

Not that I want to kill off Tedd's grandparents, but they've never appeared or been mentioned. It's kind of peculiar for Tedd and Nanase because their parents grew up in Moperville.

Maybe Voldemort killed them?

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead

So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde,
and that's it hangin' on the shed
ALL TOGETHER NOW
Tie me kangaroo down, sport,
Tie me kangaroo down
Tie me kangaroo down, sport,
Tie me kangaroo dowwwwwwwwn!

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

In fact, maybe the question is why doesn't Tedd go to Moperville South? Maybe the Verres home is in Moperville South's district. If Edward inherited it, it would make perfect sense.

The relationship between Edward and Adrian might be worse than between Mrs. Kitsune and Adrian.

Not that I want to kill off Tedd's grandparents, but they've never appeared or been mentioned. It's kind of peculiar for Tedd and Nanase because their parents grew up in Moperville.

Considering how much SARAH PARENTS are shown - or JUSTINS, I think they just caught the highly contagious condition known as "Dan doesn't want to create too many secondary characters". NOONE in story had grandparents shown.

When I speculated about Justin parents being dead, I was assured that they just didn't appeared on-panel.

Maybe Voldemort killed them?

Damien would be more likely.

She is dating boys for money. No matter how much money her family has, SHE personally doesn't seem to have that much. Unless she's doing it just for sport and the money are way to keep score.

She didn't get money from them, they bought her stuff.

Considering how much she tries to hide the fact that she likes geeky stuff and the fact that she no longer wants meaningless relationships, I believe she went into highschool with the desire to be popular because maybe she wasn't very popular in junior high. I would figure if her desire to have others buy her things was due to her family just having enough to get by, then it should have been tougher for her to break that desire.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She didn't get money from them, they bought her stuff.

If she could easily buy it herself, why would she even pretend it's important for her?

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Considering how much she tries to hide the fact that she likes geeky stuff and the fact that she no longer wants meaningless relationships, I believe she went into highschool with the desire to be popular because maybe she wasn't very popular in junior high.

I agree with her motivation, but note that she isn't THAT much popular here either. She's not queen of school ; she has just enough popularity to get few followers. And she dates boys for stuff, instead of dating them for popularity.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would figure if her desire to have others buy her things was due to her family just having enough to get by, then it should have been tougher for her to break that desire.

Maybe it's not "just enough to get by", just "being used to think in terms of what is necessary". The stuff she's getting from boys ... it cost more than her allowance and she wouldn't get more from her parents because she can't justify it in terms her parents would accept.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Diane already knows Susan know Ellen and Nanase. They helped them to meet. Better not mention Grace, yes - Diane certainly knows Grace is friend with Ellen and Nanase but Susan doesn't know about that.

I'm pretty sure Diane knows that Grace knows Susan, considering Grace was at the table with Justin was going "Susan's the kindest person I know, and I know Grace".

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She still rather send Nanase to the school he's teaching in ... was it because she realized it will be useful? Or because alternative would be having her in same school as Tedd?

I don't believe it has anything to due with Tedd, Mama Kitsune was concerned about Tedd's wellbeing when she found out he had a girlfriend and wanted Nanase to help him. I doubt them being in different schools had anything to do with that. It might just be as simple as they live closer to MSHS and so Mama Kitsune just accepted that Nanase would be taught by Adrian at some point.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If she could easily buy it herself, why would she even pretend it's important for her?

I agree with her motivation, but note that she isn't THAT much popular here either. She's not queen of school ; she has just enough popularity to get few followers. And she dates boys for stuff, instead of dating them for popularity.

Maybe it's not "just enough to get by", just "being used to think in terms of what is necessary". The stuff she's getting from boys ... it cost more than her allowance and she wouldn't get more from her parents because she can't justify it in terms her parents would accept.

It's not the gifts themselves that's important, it's the fact the guys are willing to buy her stuff that was important to her, it would have been all about the attention that she enjoyed. It's possible much of the stuff they bought, if it wasn't clothing or food, then it might have been tossed in a closet never to be looked at again or something.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually, there is one comic where if you look real close in the second panel you can see a boy standing next to Diane taking money out of his wallet.

He could have been checking if he had enough to buy something that she asked for, or maybe they were in the cafeteria and he was about to buy her lunch. We never actually see anyone hand her money.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He could have been checking if he had enough to buy something that she asked for, or maybe they were in the cafeteria and he was about to buy her lunch. We never actually see anyone hand her money.

Maybe Diane was collecting for the poor American kangaroos?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She still rather send Nanase to the school he's teaching in ... was it because she realized it will be useful? Or because alternative would be having her in same school as Tedd?

I don't believe it has anything to due with Tedd, Mama Kitsune was concerned about Tedd's wellbeing when she found out he had a girlfriend and wanted Nanase to help him. I doubt them being in different schools had anything to do with that. It might just be as simple as they live closer to MSHS and so Mama Kitsune just accepted that Nanase would be taught by Adrian at some point.

... true. This, however, makes more likely that regardless her personal feeling about it, she realized that Nanase will NEED Adrian's teaching.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's not the gifts themselves that's important, it's the fact the guys are willing to buy her stuff that was important to her, it would have been all about the attention that she enjoyed. It's possible much of the stuff they bought, if it wasn't clothing or food, then it might have been tossed in a closet never to be looked at again or something.

She could get attention without stuff.

Hmmm ... maybe we get more about her motivation in discussion with Susan? If it gets on topic ... I think Diane would try to avoid that.