• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday October 18, 2017

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... true. This, however, makes more likely that regardless her personal feeling about it, she realized that Nanase will NEED Adrian's teaching.

Considering what she knows about the day of Abraham's attack, she likely changed her mind about it. There's no indication that she knew beforehand that Nanase had developed magical skills.

Wait... maybe there is? Mama Kistune did seem kinda lenient about Nanase being out the weekend of Painted Black without checking in with her. I guess it would make sense that Edward would be truthful with Mama Kitsune. They probably agreed together to just let Nanase develop her magic naturally rather than try to push her in a certain direction. Maybe Adrian knows this as well and it trying to be respectful of their wishes since he still regrets how things turned out with Noriko?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She could get attention without stuff.

Yeah, but getting the guys to buy stuff for her is confirmation that she's got that hold on them. She has the ability to get guys to want to buy her stuff, and guilt them into doing buying more. I believe it's more of a power trip for her, rather than something out of necessity. Even Dan said it was superficial.

Again I mention that Diane's stopped behaving that way, when she learned of Elliot, she did consider that he'd be easy to get to do stuff for her. But after seeing the review shows, she changed her mind about him, she didn't even care that he barely had money to buy her stuff. So she likely got bored with stringing guys along.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Considering what she knows about the day of Abraham's attack, she likely changed her mind about it. There's no indication that she knew beforehand that Nanase had developed magical skills.

Wait... maybe there is? Mama Kistune did seem kinda lenient about Nanase being out the weekend of Painted Black without checking in with her. I guess it would make sense that Edward would be truthful with Mama Kitsune. They probably agreed together to just let Nanase develop her magic naturally rather than try to push her in a certain direction. Maybe Adrian knows this as well and it trying to be respectful of their wishes since he still regrets how things turned out with Noriko?

Mama Kitsune is a lot more knowledgeable and observant than she lets on and Nanase hasn't exactly been the most discreet with her powers. She tried to hide them from her mother, but she did stuff like float around school. If Mama Kitsune has any connections at the school that she keeps up with, then she might have known pretty early that Nanase was Awakened.

And while Mrs. Kitsune might hate Adrian, he is an excellent teacher, well versed in history, magic, and combat. Mama Kitsune certainly wants the best for her daughter. Between the ASMA, going to the school that Mr. Raven teaches at, and their family heritage, I think Mrs. Kitsune likely expected Nanase to Awaken at some point and wanted to make sure she was as prepared for it as feasible.

I think a credible backstory for Mama Kitsune would be that she had an early crush on Edward but Edward was already crushing on Noriko. Adrian would have started training the two before they were married, and maybe Noriko just couldn't stand to be there to train with them.

I wonder if MK knows about Lavender... like to see them together sometime.

I wonder if Tedd knows about Lavender.  Or maybe Grace does, or at least she's figured out there's someone in Edward's life and is happy about it.  She does have pretty amazing relationship senses.

On 10/18/2017 at 4:17 AM, CritterKeeper said:

America was once home to lions that dwarfed modern tigers, non-European horses, camels, and a giant sloth of truly amazing size, but I've never run into any claims of fossil evidence of native kangaroos....

America (the continent) has been home to camels twice, although the second was rather brief.

The first time was in the far north, and it appears the camel's hump originally evolved as a fatty energy store to help keep the animal alive through the arctic or near-arctic winter. Like horses, camels evolved on this continent first.

The second time was in the deserts of the southwestern US, about the time of the US's "Civil War" (there ain't nuthin' civil about war), as an experiment by the US Army. The experiment didn't work very well, not because of any inherent defect but because horses and donkeys - which were far more numerous - hate and fear camels. They ARE direct competitors for food... and to this day it's the law in Nevada that a person with a camel must yield the right of way to a person with a horse. But as the experiment was given up on, a fair number of camels got loose or were released, and there continued to be a very-small camel population for decades. There are still occasional stories of wild-camel sightings in Mexico...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Are you SURE this was first case of Agent Cranium reporting her on Nanase?

I guess it would make sense that Edward would be truthful with Mama Kitsune. They probably agreed together to just let Nanase develop her magic naturally rather than try to push her in a certain direction.

... or Edward, yes ; although Edward hadn't anything to report before Painted Black.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Mama Kitsune is a lot more knowledgeable and observant than she lets on and Nanase hasn't exactly been the most discreet with her powers. She tried to hide them from her mother, but she did stuff like float around school. If Mama Kitsune has any connections at the school that she keeps up with, then she might have known pretty early that Nanase was Awakened.

Exactly. I also think Nanase's attempts to hide stuff from her mother didn't always worked.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

And while Mrs. Kitsune might hate Adrian, he is an excellent teacher, well versed in history, magic, and combat. Mama Kitsune certainly wants the best for her daughter. Between the ASMA, going to the school that Mr. Raven teaches at, and their family heritage, I think Mrs. Kitsune likely expected Nanase to Awaken at some point and wanted to make sure she was as prepared for it as feasible.

I was referring to speculation that Mrs. Kitsune hates Adrian BECAUSE she doesn't like magic. True ; it's possible her hate is personal and not telling her daughter about magic has other reasons. Mrs. Kitsune definitely seems to train Nanase for her possible role of monster hunter very well if you don't count the bit about not telling her what she train them for ; I already speculated that she may not want Nanase to become monster hunter but she's afraid she become one anyway and therefore wants to train her as well as possible so she will survive that.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think a credible backstory for Mama Kitsune would be that she had an early crush on Edward but Edward was already crushing on Noriko. Adrian would have started training the two before they were married, and maybe Noriko just couldn't stand to be there to train with them.

I think the three of them were training together. Although there seem to be just Adrian, Edward and Noriko on that picture ... unless ... could it be Tedd on Noriko's right arm? Maybe that's photo from Adrian becoming his godfather. And, BTW, the woman on second frame might been Susan's and Diane's grandmother. If it's woman. Can also be Noah ... or some flower. Wait. That's probably Noah with ball. Nevermind.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wonder if Tedd knows about Lavender.  Or maybe Grace does, or at least she's figured out there's someone in Edward's life and is happy about it.  She does have pretty amazing relationship senses.

Hmmm ... Grace's senses would more likely just pick up her crush on Edward WHEN she would meet Lavender ... unless Lavender finally got Edward to notice her.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She could get attention without stuff.

Yeah, but getting the guys to buy stuff for her is confirmation that she's got that hold on them. She has the ability to get guys to want to buy her stuff, and guilt them into doing buying more. I believe it's more of a power trip for her, rather than something out of necessity. Even Dan said it was superficial.

She can get them to do something else ... I still think that there must be element of "stuff" being important for her. Of course I didn't meant she would starve without guys buying her something ... more likely, guys buying her food means she can save her own money for something else.

Although it's also possible this "buying out something else her parent don't give her money for" was one-time event and she continued doing that just because of the power trip.

Again I mention that Diane's stopped behaving that way, when she learned of Elliot, she did consider that he'd be easy to get to do stuff for her. But after seeing the review shows, she changed her mind about him, she didn't even care that he barely had money to buy her stuff. So she likely got bored with stringing guys along.

Of course she got bored of it. Doesn't mean she has enough money to consider giving some to charities.

58 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

about the time of the US's "Civil War" (there ain't nuthin' civil about war)

The military intelligence is another famous oxymoron.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

America (the continent) has been home to camels twice, although the second was rather brief.

According to the evidence we have so far, camels--and I mean the original ancestors of the camels of the Old World and the llamas, alpacas, and vicunas of South America first appeared in North America, as did horses--and then they became extinct in North America about the time humans arrived.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

According to the evidence we have so far, camels--and I mean the original ancestors of the camels of the Old World and the llamas, alpacas, and vicunas of South America first appeared in North America, as did horses--and then they became extinct in North America about the time humans arrived.

I'm sure those humans would claim it was just coincidence.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure those humans would claim it was just coincidence.

Just like it was a coincidence about the lions, tigers, ground sloths, mammoths, etc.

"Exac- wait, not the lion. Extermination of lions was our great victory in name of protecting our children. Unfortunately, came too late to save poor mammoths."

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... or Edward, yes ; although Edward hadn't anything to report before Painted Black.

Nanase was involved with the Goo incident.

She can get them to do something else ... I still think that there must be element of "stuff" being important for her. Of course I didn't meant she would starve without guys buying her something ... more likely, guys buying her food means she can save her own money for something else.

Although it's also possible this "buying out something else her parent don't give her money for" was one-time event and she continued doing that just because of the power trip.

When Dan introduced Diane, she had a real Alpha Bitch vibe going for her, manipulating guys, and trying to recruit Nanase into her girl posse. Later on we see her treating Rhoda with compassion and being a mama bear to her which suggests that being an Alpha Bitch is just an act which would mean the manipulation of guys was just because she could.

I'd say Diane's manipulation could have something to do with her trying to please one guy, maybe Rick, and being terribly disappointed and/or hurt. Diane decides she's never going to get close to another guy until she's sure she can control him.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Nanase was involved with the Goo incident.

True. Not much to report but she did used magic there ...

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

When Dan introduced Diane, she had a real Alpha Bitch vibe going for her, manipulating guys, and trying to recruit Nanase into her girl posse. Later on we see her treating Rhoda with compassion and being a mama bear to her which suggests that being an Alpha Bitch is just an act which would mean the manipulation of guys was just because she could.

I think she tries to be Alpha Bitch because she thinks that's how to be popular (possibly due to seeing too many TV shows with such trope, as mentioned on tvtropes). She's unlikely to actually BE Alpha Bitch of school, though. Maybe of class.

And real Alpha Bitch is unlikely to let boys buying her things ; and not only because real Alpha Bitch is RICH. (In fact, it's SUSAN who has the mother who would be typical mother of Alpha Bitch ... but, obviously, Susan is not interested in such position.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane decides she's never going to get close to another guy until she's sure she can control him.

If that was the case, she'd certainly given up on that by New Years.

Might not be conscious decision.

43 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Mr. Verres knew that Elliot and Nanase were gaining magic energy throuh ASMA,  he just didn't realize how *much* energy.

I doubt he would need to be telling THAT to Mrs. Kitsune. She could likely see it as clear as him and possibly encouraged Nanase to choose that dojo.

(Alternatively, I can see her meeting her daughter sensei and noticing he's awakened.)

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Alternatively, I can see her meeting her daughter sensei and noticing he's awakened.

That is officially still up in the air, see the Q&A about tossing spellbooks at him.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Alternatively, I can see her meeting her daughter sensei and noticing he's awakened.

That is officially still up in the air, see the Q&A about tossing spellbooks at him.

Yes, officially he MAY be awakened. I think he is. Note that even if he isn't, if Mrs. Kitsune THINKS he's awakened the effect would be same.

I think she tries to be Alpha Bitch because she thinks that's how to be popular (possibly due to seeing too many TV shows with such trope, as mentioned on tvtropes). She's unlikely to actually BE Alpha Bitch of school, though. Maybe of class.

And real Alpha Bitch is unlikely to let boys buying her things ; and not only because real Alpha Bitch is RICH. (In fact, it's SUSAN who has the mother who would be typical mother of Alpha Bitch ... but, obviously, Susan is not interested in such position.)

I'm pretty certain that even if the Alpha Bitch was from a rich family she'd still get guys to buy her things, because she'd be spoiled by her parents always buying her things so she'd have that sense of entitlement, she wants something, they'd buy it. That would carry on to school life as well, she wants something, she'd get someone to give it to her.

That's why I think in Diane's case, it was more of an act than being a real Alpha Bitch, she might not have come from a rich family, but she acted like she did because people paid attention to her. The novelty of that has faded now.

I don't think Susan's mom was an Alpha Bitch though, yes she was shown to be strong and independent. Probably felt she needed to tooth and claw her way to be seen as an equal, but after Mr. Pompom's affair, she became more cynical about the whole equality thing and used her strength and independence to intimidate men. That attitude certainly would have rubbed off on Susan after a while as her early attitude would suggest.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, officially he MAY be awakened. I think he is. Note that even if he isn't, if Mrs. Kitsune THINKS he's awakened the effect would be same.

I kinda find it odd that it isn't clear about whether Greg's awakened or not. He's talked to Edward at length about what his training does. One would think that during that discussion, Edward would have asked Greg about his powers and want to confirmed that he's awakened for the fact that he'd have to create a file on Greg for DGB like he did with the Main Eight.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

A rich Alpha Bitch would not be immune to the desire to have others demonstrate her dominance by bringing her gifts. And a less-than-rich Alpha Bitch can occur through sheer force of personality; most commonly, but not always, this person will be an oldest or youngest child in a large somewhat-dysfunctional family.

On the other hand, a person who obviously has what it takes to be Alpha Bitch and obviously rejects the role (such as Susan) weakens the power of the role. This is good for other students who can't, or don't want to, play those games.

Much the same is true on the male side, albeit manifesting slightly differently. Elliot, being obviously athletic (quite possibly one of the top athletes in the school) and apparently having little interest in school sports (plus having an obvious nerd and a couple of brainy non-cheerleader girls as his best friends), makes things a lot easier for non-jock/non-cheerleader schoolmates. Even without him making any effort to do so.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

On the other hand, a person who obviously has what it takes to be Alpha Bitch and obviously rejects the role (such as Susan) weakens the power of the role. This is good for other students who can't, or don't want to, play those games.

I pity the fool would-be Alpha Bitch who tries to take on Susan.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(In fact, it's SUSAN who has the mother who would be typical mother of Alpha Bitch ... but, obviously, Susan is not interested in such position.)

I don't think Susan's mom was an Alpha Bitch though, yes she was shown to be strong and independent. Probably felt she needed to tooth and claw her way to be seen as an equal, but after Mr. Pompom's affair, she became more cynical about the whole equality thing and used her strength and independence to intimidate men. That attitude certainly would have rubbed off on Susan after a while as her early attitude would suggest.

I didn't said Susan's mom was an Alpha Bitch. I said Susan's mom would be a mom Alpha Bitch would have.

That page you linked? If Susan would be Alpha Bitch, she wouldn't be facepalming, she would be smiling.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Especially if it's someone who goes against school policy like the dress code and is therefore known to EVERYONE.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Much the same is true on the male side, albeit manifesting slightly differently. Elliot, being obviously athletic (quite possibly one of the top athletes in the school) and apparently having little interest in school sports (plus having an obvious nerd and a couple of brainy non-cheerleader girls as his best friends), makes things a lot easier for non-jock/non-cheerleader schoolmates. Even without him making any effort to do so.

Possibly? Noah and Nanase goes to other school. ASMA training is magically enhancing his abilities, possibly over human limits. He IS top athlete in school.

And I would say ESPECIALLY without him making any effort - visible effort would lessen the impact. Also, his open anti-bully attitude is going to help a lot.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I kinda find it odd that it isn't clear about whether Greg's awakened or not. He's talked to Edward at length about what his training does. One would think that during that discussion, Edward would have asked Greg about his powers and want to confirmed that he's awakened for the fact that he'd have to create a file on Greg for DGB like he did with the Main Eight.

I'm pretty sure Edward knows (and the file he made on Greg has already multiple pages). Only we don't.

On the other hand ... I would expect Edward to test Justin as well.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That page you linked? If Susan would be Alpha Bitch, she wouldn't be facepalming, she would be smiling.

That's cus I misunderstood what you were saying, though Susan certainly wasn't an Alpha Bitch, she just became cynical about men like her mom.

She was embarrassed though about her mom getting her on the France trip earlier, Susan just wanted to know if it'd be ok to go later on and seemed to be content with waiting and might have intended on saving up the money herself to pay for her ticket and such. As we know, aside from Justin, Susan's the only other character that's held a job while still attending school for at least a couple years.

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She was embarrassed though about her mom getting her on the France trip earlier, Susan just wanted to know if it'd be ok to go later on and seemed to be content with waiting and might have intended on saving up the money herself to pay for her ticket and such.

I think in this case she would be ok with her mom paying, but at least she would actually know the language. The trip was apparently meant as part of advanced French course, but at her level it didn't really helped her. Of course, I know like two French words and went to France anyway, but it wasn't with school.

I don't think she bought the huge TV with her own money either. She's not above using her mother wealth, she just want some independence instead of mom buying her everything.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:

As we know, aside from Justin, Susan's the only other character that's held a job while still attending school for at least a couple years.

Yes. And while she might like her job, it's not exactly the same level of "I would be there even if I wouldn't work there" job as Justins. (Note: Literally in George's case.)

Hmmmm ... I think that Grace also still works in comics shop despite holidays being over, but likely not so often. Meanwhile, Elliot, who is from actually poor family, might not kept his summer job ...

(And we still don't know how exactly Sarah explained her "job" with Tedd.)

I don't think she bought the huge TV with her own money either. She's not above using her mother wealth, she just want some independence instead of mom buying her everything.

I don't think the TV was specifically hers anyway, I can believe her mom bought it, but Susan likely didn't ask for it either. It might have been bought with child support money from Mr Pompoms or something related to the divorce maybe?

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. And while she might like her job, it's not exactly the same level of "I would be there even if I wouldn't work there" job as Justins. (Note: Literally in George's case.)

Justin got his job because his uncle owns the shop and took pity on Justin who'd recently been outed and was being bullied. Susan would have actively went looking for a job, and Tensaided might not have been the first choice, but was probably the most flexible with her being a student.

Hmmmm ... I think that Grace also still works in comics shop despite holidays being over, but likely not so often. Meanwhile, Elliot, who is from actually poor family, might not kept his summer job ...

Grace has only been working there for like 7 months, and is probably getting less hours than Justin during the winter, remember, I said at least a couple years for Justin and Susan. Also Elliot I imagine still gets paid for doing the review shows even though he's not actually working at the video store while in school.

(And we still don't know how exactly Sarah explained her "job" with Tedd.)

Yeah, Sarah's the only one that god a "job" that doesn't pay with money. Best guess is she didn't complain about doing chores at home in order to continue receiving an allowance over the summer.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would expect Edward to test Justin as well.

I strongly suspect he has, more than once. However, as far as I can recall the most recent event that would be likely to tell Edward "it's time to RE-test Justin" was the fight with the fire guy outside the card shop. We haven't even seen the two together very often since the immediate aftermath of that event. And I think that might have been before he was even marked, let alone awakened.

(My best argument for that being before he was marked is that I think Edward WOULD have tested him then, and as a result Justin would know whether he had a mark at that time; but at the card tournament, after he was already awakened, he didn't appear to be aware that he ever had been marked.)