• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Monday October 23, 2017

Why do I get this feeling that Diane is about to say that she doesn't like to be touched either.

That or the vampires start their attack next frame.

At a glance, this might seem like a big difference between Susan and Diane, but if you think about it, Susan's moves here aren't much different than Diane's stealth moves back in Family Tree. They may serve different purposes, but it still shows that both are pretty agile.

1 hour ago, Entropy said:

Look's like no one saw it, but isn't among the crowd that girl, Francine, from this comic?

Nice spotting. I don't think it's Francine because a working janitor wouldn't be a teenager. But she could be "Francine" as in an Immortal taking that form, as some of us suspected the "janitor" might be. My candidate was Jerry, but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe Pandora?

Of course, it could be that Dan just threw together some quick NPCs. The herd all wear similar winter jackets, all with the same zipper closing and the same flaring seam at the bottom, and all wear pants (admittedly the best choice for Greater Chicago in January). But Francine (or "Francine") is the only one with concealed eyes and without some kind of exaggerated facial expression.

Heck, if it is Pandora, maybe the whole herd is Pandora. The herd kind of appears out of nowhere, doesn't it? 

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Nice spotting. I don't think it's Francine because a working janitor wouldn't be a teenager. But she could be "Francine" as in an Immortal taking that form, as some of us suspected the "janitor" might be. My candidate was Jerry, but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe Pandora?

Of course, it could be that Dan just threw together some quick NPCs. The herd all wear similar winter jackets, all with the same zipper closing and the same flaring seam at the bottom, and all wear pants (admittedly the best choice for Greater Chicago in January). But Francine (or "Francine") is the only one with concealed eyes and without some kind of exaggerated facial expression.

Heck, if it is Pandora, maybe the whole herd is Pandora. The herd kind of appears out of nowhere, doesn't it? 

The hair on the "young teen" is darker than Francine's hair, when Francine first appeared I speculated that she might be related to Duck because of the same hair style, but maybe Dan just likes using that style from time to time when drawing a bunch of extras in the comic.

Also while the herd does seem to appear out of nowhere from our perspective, it's not unheard of for a group of teens to be seen moving through a mall like that, I've always veered out of their path in advance though so I've never had to use any fancy footwork to dodge.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

25 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Much like teenagers in a mall do, yes.

The teenagers are already there, in plain sight.  Grown-ups just don't notice them until they do something inconvenient or annoying.  The careful, polite, well-behaved teenagers are the ones who are magically invisible, even though there are a lot more of them.  ;-)

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

The careful, polite, well-behaved teenagers are the ones who are magically invisible, even though there are a lot more of them.  ;-)

So you say. :-)

11 hours ago, partner555 said:

Has she demonstrated her dodging skills before?

No but she demonstrated juggling.

11 hours ago, Stature said:

Such graceful movements. Then again, if we test her at dodgeball, it might be risky. Risky fun.

Susan was marked for few years ... and trained with hammers ... her abilities MAY be magical at this point.

(Not speaking about the possibility she DID trained some martial arts with swords. You know, in case of vampire attack.)

Except I suspect she was dancing like this even BEFORE France.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Why do I get this feeling that Diane is about to say that she doesn't like to be touched either.

Diane might not really LIKE being touched but she certainly doesn't hate it. Give up, they are not THAT similar. We were already shown Diane is NOT "clean freak".

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Diane looks like she's developing a "what a dork" opinion of Susan at this point. She keeps swinging back and forth from "Lion" to "Dork" on the pendulum scale. Who knows where it will wind up?

With realization those two can be both true? :)

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, Entropy said:

Look's like no one saw it, but isn't among the crowd that girl, Francine, from this comic?

Note that the one leading the stampede looks similar to Pamela from the same comics. And "Francine" is also just similar, not exactly same. I would say this would be just some quick NPCs.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Heck, if it is Pandora, maybe the whole herd is Pandora.

... well, if it's Pandora, she may appear how she likes, doesn't need to look as someone we know.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

The hair on the "young teen" is darker than Francine's hair, when Francine first appeared I speculated that she might be related to Duck because of the same hair style, but maybe Dan just likes using that style from time to time when drawing a bunch of extras in the comic.

Yes.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also while the herd does seem to appear out of nowhere from our perspective, it's not unheard of for a group of teens to be seen moving through a mall like that, I've always veered out of their path in advance though so I've never had to use any fancy footwork to dodge.

They seem to appear from fog of war. Or, well, around the corner. Or Susan was just distracted and noticed them later than usually.

58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Diane might not really LIKE being touched but she certainly doesn't hate it. Give up, they are not THAT similar. We were already shown Diane is NOT "clean freak".

Plus it would be kind of hard to get guys to buy you things if you never let them touch you by either holding hands, or kisses. 

19 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Plus it would be kind of hard to get guys to buy you things if you never let them touch you by either holding hands, or kisses. 

Also that. And possibly touching other parts of body as well.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I honestly don't think she went that far with guys, I think Elliot might have been the first person she thought of doing things with.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I honestly don't think she went that far with guys, I think Elliot might have been the first person she thought of doing things with.

Depends on what part of body you imagined :)

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Alright, she'd probably accept foot rubs. ;)

That would be possibility, yes. Actually, it would match her outside persona to let boys do various kinds of massages on her, and maybe helping her with sun lotion in summer.

Although I was more thinking about touching as shown here. It's technically kissing but more parts of body than just lips are involved.

And now on to a new question: Are the starbursts in panel four just to further emphasize how awed Diane is (for the moment), or is it Magic being dramatic again, like when Tedd glowed back in #874?

Considering how quickly they cleared before panel five, probably just emphasize. Of course, it can be hard to know for sure in this comics ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Although I was more thinking about touching as shown here. It's technically kissing but more parts of body than just lips are involved.

That's what I meant when I said I didn't think she'd go that far, I don't see her having been passionate about another guy besides Elliot. Though we're not sure if she still wants to pursue Elliot after seeing what he can do and his interaction with Ashley.

Depends on what she'd be rubbing with her feet. ;)

I meant guys rubbing her feet, get yer mind outta the gutter. ;)

And now on to a new question: Are the starbursts in panel four just to further emphasize how awed Diane is (for the moment), or is it Magic being dramatic again, like when Tedd glowed back in #874?

Considering Diane didn't comment on the sparkles, I would say they were for our visual entertainment only, each time Tedd glowed, there was always a reaction from those nearby except in the one case where Grace and Elliot weren't looking but the flash did actually light up the room.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Considering Diane didn't comment on the sparkles, I would say they were for our visual entertainment only

Diane already knows Susan is a fully awakened magic user at this point. The herd wouldn't notice because their faces would, of course, still be in their phones.

In a Wiley cartoon, they'd all get eaten by bears.

27 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane already knows Susan is a fully awakened magic user at this point. The herd wouldn't notice because their faces would, of course, still be in their phones.

And what about the other mall goers? I would think that after the previous week's excitement, there'd be more than a few people looking out for anything unusual. A section of corridor lighting up in sparkles would certainly draw someone's attention.