• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Wednesday October 25, 2017

Hmm, methinks maybe he should have covered how you move around the board first, and the transformation currency you use to do it second.  This order is a bit confusing, feels like a strip was skipped.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, methinks maybe he should have covered how you move around the board first, and the transformation currency you use to do it second.  This order is a bit confusing, feels like a strip was skipped.

I think it's just standard monopoly style "roll dice, move x number of spaces", rolling doubles would let you move x number of spaces and then target another player to be transformed.

It also hasn't been touched on, but I'm guessing that each player gets a number of cards to start with, and uses them to buy the spaces, and they need the right combination (for the 2 and 3 point spaces) of cards or else they can't buy the space, like they land on one of the corner 3's but only have animal and clothing cards in their hand, they can't buy the space because they don't have a physical card.

K^2    2
16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It also hasn't been touched on, but I'm guessing that each player gets a number of cards to start with, and uses them to buy the spaces, and they need the right combination (for the 2 and 3 point spaces) of cards or else they can't buy the space, like they land on one of the corner 3's but only have animal and clothing cards in their hand, they can't buy the space because they don't have a physical card.

With an added caveat, that they might be able to buy a square, but at the cost of assuming a form/clothing combination that would put them at a disadvantage or take away advantage they already have. That seems to be implication about movement and the river/tunnel mechanics, and I'm sure there are other (dis)advantages yet to be revealed. Which is a good game design decision, because it allows tunning the game flow by adjusting how many advantage/disadvantage cards there are, and how they interact with each other. It also introduces considerable amount of strategy in timing the use of cards, rather than pure luck of whether you've drawn cards you needed or not.

Lest it be known that I hope no one screws up.

Seems that a small board like that would bound to have replacements or stacking. Yup, still feels very vague.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

It was said you are buying spaces with transformation. I suppose it means that you need to play the card(s) to transform yourself (or someone else if you roll doubles) to buy the space.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It was said you are buying spaces with transformation. I suppose it means that you need to play the card(s) to transform yourself (or someone else if you roll doubles) to buy the space.

Yeah, but I meant that the players need to have those transformation cards in their hand to begin with and play them in order to transform themselves (or others) to buy the space, like in the example, a player landed on a 2 point space, and just an animal TF wasn't enough, they needed an animal + clothing TF to buy it. Landing on a 3 point space they'd need an animal + clothing + physical tf card to transform and buy the space, if their hand only has animal and clothing cards then I guess they wouldn't be able to buy it.

Also I swore I wrote this out but maybe I didn't hit submit, but in regard to what Hanma said in the last panel about a player who owns a space that another player lands on being able to transform that player but being short on cards for their turn. I'm thinking there's a strategic reason one would do so. like to prevent a player from using the shortcuts? Say Ashley had given herself a form that could use the underground shortcuts (the diagonal ones) and she lands on a 2 space that Catalina owned, if Ashley didn't steal the space because it would mean losing the form and not being able to take the shortcut, Catalina could play her cards to force a form change on Ashley and deny her the shortcut. But Catalina would risk not being able to buy another 2 or 3 space when her turn comes up.

Dan hasn't specified what kind of dice. 2d4, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 2d12, 2d20, 2d30? (Yes, Virginia, someone really does make thirty-sided dice; I had one once.) Or maybe 2d3, which can be simulated with boring old cubes, dodecahedrons, or whatever d30s are called by using division or modulus. 

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan hasn't specified what kind of dice. 2d4, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 2d12, 2d20, 2d30?

Or for that matter 1dX + 1dY where X and Y are not the same.  1d8+1d12, for example, gives the same range as 2d10, but a much flatter curve.

26 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Or for that matter 1dX + 1dY where X and Y are not the same.  1d8+1d12, for example, gives the same range as 2d10, but a much flatter curve.

I've never seen one, but back in the Eighties or early Nineties I read an article in a gaming magazine about averaging dice. They're six-sided, but instead of ones and sixes they have an additional 3 and 4, so the median result of a single die is still 3.5, but the range of results is narrowed. There's no proof that the dice actually existed outside of the author's imagination, but it was an interesting variation which wouldn't have been too hard to work with regular d6's and some practice.

Any further tabletop gaming geekiness should probably move to the off-topic forum unless it really does apply to Goonmanji.

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

They're six-sided, but instead of ones and sixes they have an additional 3 and 4, so the median result of a single die is still 3.5, but the range of results is narrowed. There's no proof that the dice actually existed outside of the author's imagination, but it was an interesting variation which wouldn't have been too hard to work with regular d6's and some practice.

I have a set...

I've seen a d100. It's not far from being a sphere, and acts accordingly.

I pulled a gag in a game once. I was playing a werewolf. First time during the session that I shifted to wolf form, I reached into my bag and pulled out a pair of huge fuzzy dice.  (Unfortunately, I needed d10s and the only fuzzy dice I've ever seen are d6.)

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Any further tabletop gaming geekiness should probably move to the off-topic forum unless it really does apply to Goonmanji.

... apparently, this is ignored so I'll reply as well.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan hasn't specified what kind of dice. 2d4, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 2d12, 2d20, 2d30? (Yes, Virginia, someone really does make thirty-sided dice; I had one once.) Or maybe 2d3, which can be simulated with boring old cubes, dodecahedrons, or whatever d30s are called by using division or modulus. 

I don't care if someone made it, there are only five true dices - d4,d6,d8,d12 and d20 - and it was mathematically proven thousands years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid

K^2    2
24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't care if someone made it, there are only five true dices - d4,d6,d8,d12 and d20 - and it was mathematically proven thousands years ago.

Platonic Solids are restricted by symmetries you don't need for fair dice. (Good discussion on Numberphile) There is a very nice regular 120-sided solid. The d30 and d60 are in the same family as that one. More Examples