• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

RPG for EGS

More than twenty years ago I was seduced into Sailormoonacy by a collection of character writeups I found on the web for Tuxedo Mask and the Sailor Girls for GURPS, a tabletop roleplaying game I still follow. I wonder if anyone is interested in translating EGS into roleplaying terms, maybe eventually leading to playing over the web. GURPS was being played on the Internet before there was a web; probably D&D and maybe Traveller as well (a sci-fi RPG that had the good timing to come out in 1977 when Star Wars new.) Some years later I saw in one of the official GURPS books, Wizards (which has the hands-down best cover of all GURPS books) a writeup for a magical girl character who was practically a clone of the fan-created writeup for Sailor moon created several years earlier.

And, yes, there is (or more likely was) a licensed Sailor Moon RPG which, of course, sucked. (Star Trek has had at least three licensed versions by now, and Star Wars, two that I know of. If you don't do GURPS, my recommendations for roleplaying Sailor Moon and other magical girl/boy anime and manga series would be Champions/Hero System or Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM). Or if you want to go strictly for comedy,  R. Talsorian Games' Teenagers From Outer Space (TFOS). These are also my recommendations for EGSTFOS even has a Boy/Girl Gun on the basic equipment list in the core rulebook.

GURPS has only four basic attributes which are purchased instead of being rolled up. All of them are set at 10 for the average adult human.

Tsukino Usagi (or Serena in DIC-land) is a 14-year-old in her final year of middle school. IQ 9, a bit on the dim side, but experience could bring it up a bit. I remember she had the Attractive advantage, which costs 5 points and gives a +1 bonus for most Reaction rolls and a few social skills. She has, of course, a lot of points in her superpowered alternate form, Sailor Moon.

The brainy Sailor, Mercury, or Mizuno Ami (Amy) was IQ 14, which is the same as the official GURPS rating for Einstein.

If you care to test the GURPS waters without getting soaked for real money, there's a 32-page PDF you can download called GURPS Lite.