• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Dabat

Story Friday November 3, 2017

Well... His parents are... Umm... I mean supportive is good. Actually they kind of remind me of a cartoonish version of my parents when I was his age.

As to what his mother said in her second panel: I can assure you I am not thinking about Elliot and baseball. Lots and lots of baseball.

(Ninja Edit: changed 'hell' to 'well', like it was supposed to be)

Well, Ashley's coat is coming off. Will anything join it?

Wait, what about that (gasp) overdue library book? Wasn't that why Elliot needed to use the car so Ellen had to get a ride from Nanase?

I think Monday's comic will change the scene again. I don't see any compelling reason for Ashley and Ellen to talk about stuff before the action starts, and if they really do do it, Dan won't show much, if he shows anything. Dan didn't show Pandora kissing Blaike, the love of her lifetimes. I'd go to Ellen and Nanase for the main cast of the next scene. They have a mystery to investigate. Is it part of Sirleck's plan or just the usual Moperville weirdness?

Somewhere along the line, a long time before Ellen, the Dunkles were "Normal" people.

Then something happened.

Flapped until they became unflappable.
Phased until they were left unfazeable.
So badly discombobulated they are now permanently combobulated.

There is probably an epic tale to be told explaining how they got that way.  But until then, I blame Tedd.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

It's always awesome when the Dunkel parents do their thing.

Totally.

I don't see much respect from Dad, but at least they trust him. Also, they focus on the important thing: risk of pregnancy, because otherwise they shouldn't care about what Elliot and Ashley are doing.

57 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Wait, what about that (gasp) overdue library book? Wasn't that why Elliot needed to use the car so Ellen had to get a ride from Nanase?

I'm pretty sure not only it wasn't the reason but Ashley didn't even told anyone. It was just illustration on how threacherously nice she is or something like that.

59 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, Ashley's coat is coming off. Will anything join it?

I think Monday's comic will change the scene again. I don't see any compelling reason for Ashley and Ellen to talk about stuff before the action starts, and if they really do do it, Dan won't show much, if he shows anything. Dan didn't show Pandora kissing Blaike, the love of her lifetimes. I'd go to Ellen and Nanase for the main cast of the next scene. They have a mystery to investigate. Is it part of Sirleck's plan or just the usual Moperville weirdness?

I think that Dan might show two more panels with them sitting down ... and either change scene between panels or add in some other welcomed surprise like the "how parents trust Elliot" was added to two panels of today comics. Probably not more, especially considering I think they will actually at least start watching some movie first.

Note: Not only Dan didn't shown Pandora kissing Blaike, the love of her lifetimes ... he also didn't shown anything else which would happen between them which we know for sure happened because Adrian Raven. Unless Pandora cheated like Q.

49 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Somewhere along the line, a long time before Ellen, the Dunkles were "Normal" people.

Then something happened.

There is probably an epic tale to be told explaining how they got that way.  But until then, I blame Tedd.

That's standard procedure, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The comics release schedule is out of whack due to a few delayed releases, Today's comic likely would have originally been a Monday comic rather than a Friday comic so I doubt it'll change scenes that quickly.

That said though, we don't know what happened to Ellen and Nanase yet, did Elliot take them out on the way to pick up Ashley? Elliot doesn't have a coat on so maybe the plans changed again and Ellen was able to take the car after all? Or maybe Ashley got dropped off at the Dunkel's first, and Ellen's not ready to go meet up with Nanase yet. Remember, craps about to hit the fan and Magus needs Elliot and Ellen close to each other for the zappiness to happen, if Ashley and Elliot stays home and Nanase and Ellen are out solving mysteries, then the distraction won't work.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Then something happened.

Maybe having Elliot at a young age did it?

Otherwise Elliot befriending Tedd might have done it.

Or maybe Mr. and Ms. Dunkel have prior experience with these sorts of things that we don't know about.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm pretty sure not only it wasn't the reason but Ashley didn't even told anyone. It was just illustration on how threacherously nice she is or something like that.

It's also possible she's already returned the book. Very likely the book was from the school library (which she could easily return the book during school hours) or if it's from a city library, she might have returned it after school before she went to Elliot's.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

In what sense? What's the "it"? And whatever the "it" is, which girls does "it" go between? 

Mrs. Dunkel, panel 5. Methinks she is aware of Elliot's powers to say that.

3 hours ago, Stature said:

Of course she does.  They got quite cross when she (Elliot) didn't let them know she was fighting evil as Cheerleadera  Made planing dinner and alibis  hard.

If my mother suggested that it'd be better for me to transform into a girl if I intended to do things with my date, I'd be a.) weirded out and b.) very embarrassed. Pure "Moooom!" moment.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, they focus on the important thing: risk of pregnancy, because otherwise they shouldn't care about what Elliot and Ashley are doing.

Considering that Mrs. D felt she "had to" drop out and get married (according to her understanding of the culture at the time, as influenced by her parents), it would be kind of surprising if she DIDN'T mention the concern in some way.

And as I recall we've seen some sign that Elliot is at least vaguely aware of that history, so he probably kind of expected a comment of that sort.

6 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Considering that Mrs. D felt she "had to" drop out and get married (according to her understanding of the culture at the time, as influenced by her parents), it would be kind of surprising if she DIDN'T mention the concern in some way.

And as I recall we've seen some sign that Elliot is at least vaguely aware of that history, so he probably kind of expected a comment of that sort.

Also, this is pretty much routine for the Dunkels. Even Elliot himself acts this way.

Elliot is home now, but he called Ellen to say that he had to have the car tonight, so Ellen is going to the college to solve the mystery of the Phantom Peeper. Wait, does this really make sense?

Well, it might make a lot sense if the Elliot voice Ellen heard on the phone wasn't coming from Elliot. When I suggested Elliott might have become Cheerleadra, who doesn't need a coat, to fly Ashley back to his house, I wasn't 100% serious. Elliot loves flying and so does Ashley, but they've gone to a lot of trouble in the last five days to make people believe there isn't a connection between our Elliot and Cheerleadra. Maybe they did it anyway; it's dark, it's Friday, it's cold. People aren't going to be outside in droves and they'll mostly be keeping their heads down. This is what people do in places where winter is WINTER, like Greater Chicago. Also, Elliot doesn't like to lie and he's terrible at it when he tries.

The call could have been from Voltaire,  and Voltaire could be the Phantom Peeper. He's the one pulling the longest strings in this story, or thinks he is. Why he would do it? Maybe to make sure Ellen wasn't together with Eliot; maybe to make sure Elliot doesn't have any other heavy magical hitters with him; maybe just to delight in fooling with the "powerful" humans some more; maybe because like Pandora, he was getting too sure how things will work out and wants more random elements to keep it interesting.

I'm going to be AFK for three hours or so. I'm going across the street to see Ragnorak.

13 hours ago, Stature said:

"Keep it between girls". Best advice.

With Ashley, definitely ... however, did he mention to his parents that Ashley likes his girl forms as well?

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

The comics release schedule is out of whack due to a few delayed releases, Today's comic likely would have originally been a Monday comic rather than a Friday comic so I doubt it'll change scenes that quickly.

I don't think Dan ever deliberately planned Friday comics on Friday. Sure, nice when it happens, but not worth adding filler comics.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:
10 hours ago, Stature said:

Of course she does.  They got quite cross when she (Elliot) didn't let them know she was fighting evil as Cheerleadera  Made planing dinner and alibis  hard.

Yes. They might've even looked in the book themselves, if Ellen didn't get to it first. Also Elliot is terrible liar so he wouldn't be able to hide it even if he tried.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Not only it's likely he wouldn't get in high school without knowing basic arithmetic, I would consider both this freak out and Nanase making the same observation as confirmations of it.

27 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Elliot is home now, but he called Ellen to say that he had to have the car tonight, so Ellen is going to the college to solve the mystery of the Phantom Peeper. Wait, does this really make sense?

He MIGHT be planing to go somewhere later? Well, looking at it again, the difference between this plan and this version does seem suspicious ... especially when we add that Ellen is nowhere to be seen and Elliot is not clothed and Ashley is taking her coat off ...

Well, it might make a lot sense if the Elliot voice Ellen heard on the phone wasn't coming from Elliot. When I suggested Elliott might have become Cheerleadra, who doesn't need a coat, to fly Ashley back to his house, I wasn't 100% serious. Elliot loves flying and so does Ashley, but they've gone to a lot of trouble in the last five days to make people believe there isn't a connection between our Elliot and Cheerleadra. Maybe they did it anyway; it's dark, it's Friday, it's cold. People aren't going to be outside in droves and they'll mostly be keeping their heads down.

Even if they would be looking up, it wouldn't really tell them more than "Cheerleadra is in Moperville". Unless they have good binoculars with stabilization and experience from bird watching.

The call could have been from Voltaire,  and Voltaire could be the Phantom Peeper. He's the one pulling the longest strings in this story, or thinks he is. Why he would do it? Maybe to make sure Ellen wasn't together with Eliot

That might be too simple for plan CM. Also, I think that Phantom Peeper (wait ... where did this name came from?) is part of MAGUS plan to get Ellen and Elliot TOGETHER. Possibly along with few other small nudges we didn't saw yet.

maybe to make sure Elliot doesn't have any other heavy magical hitters with him

He promised nothing would happen to him, didn't he? It MIGHT be too close to breaking the laws if he made sure Elliot is unprotected in the attack ...

maybe because like Pandora, he was getting too sure how things will work out and wants more random elements to keep it interesting.

Unlikely. He complains how hard everything is ... he's not going to make it harder.

I'm going to be AFK for three hours or so. I'm going across the street to see Ragnorak.

You think the discussion here will became so heated someone would notice you are AFK?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Dan ever deliberately planned Friday comics on Friday. Sure, nice when it happens, but not worth adding filler comics.

There have been times when Dan's stated the intent of ending a particular scene on a Friday so that the new scene would start at the beginning of the week.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There have been times when Dan's stated the intent of ending a particular scene on a Friday so that the new scene would start at the beginning of the week.

What I remember are some comics where Dan stated he totally wanted this to be Friday ... and wasn't.

40 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But a LOT of people seem to forget all knowledge of basic arithmetic upon departure from High School

Don't remind me. Danish Parliament just started to fight over next year's budget.

I think they didn't forgot basic arithmetic, it's just the budged contains too big numbers for them to compute with.

It's still weird that they understand that 2 + 2 = 4 but fails when it's 2 millions + 2 millions ...

(However, most politicians are able to compute how big bribe they should get just fine, even if it needs to be divided between multiple people.)

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

However, most politicians are able to compute how big bribe they should get just fine, even if it needs to be divided between multiple people.)

"Don't put bribe on your expense account, it's a "Customs expediting fee"

Part of an email I got when we were starting to sell in South America.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

"Don't put bribe on your expense account, it's a "Customs expediting fee"

Part of an email I got when we were starting to sell in South America.

What, are the rules different for where you were selling before? :)

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Don't remind me. Danish Parliament just started to fight over next year's budget.

I dare you to ask them about simplifying PI...

It might even bring some good if they become preoccupied with fighting over it, and just maybe it would expose some of the most uneducated among them, though that would require the voters to actually care...

Just now, Cpt. Obvious said:

I dare you to ask them about simplifying PI...

It might even bring some good if they become preoccupied with fighting over it...

I don't dare. One state Senate in the US actually almost made Pi equal to three by legal mandate. Only extreme stubbornness on part of the mathematically literate population blocked it from being signed into law.

In our Parliament we have people with such math skills that they believe that 30% of all men and 30% of all women add up to 60% of the population. If that suggestion actually made it onto the agenda, I would fear for the future of mathematics in Denmark.