• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Dabat

Story Friday November 3, 2017

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Only extreme stubbornness on part of the mathematically literate population blocked it from being signed into law.

And the fact that the other house didn't pass it and the Governor would not sign.  Takes 2 houses and a governor/president to get a law passed.

31 minutes ago, mlooney said:

And the fact that the other house didn't pass it and the Governor would not sign.  Takes 2 houses and a governor/president to get a law passed.

Yeah. I looked into it. It was in Indiana, 1897, and it was actually only implying a new value of Pi, which was 3.2 and not 3. It got laughed out of the Indiana Senate. Mind you, a later mathematician found out that the 'math' in question (a supposed solution to the unsolvable Squaring the Circle problem) could be worked out to yield seven different values of Pi, all of them wrong.

I could go on and on and on about politics, but isn't this thread about El Goonish Shive #2418?

And speaking of EGS #2418, I'm not exactly sure about what the five middle panels are. True flashbacks to things as they really happened earlier than the moments between the first panel and the last? How Elliot remembers what his parents told him? Or how Elliot imagines what his parents might have said to him? I think it's quite possible Elliot didn't actually tell his parents that he was bringing Ashley home when he knew no one else would be there.

I think a much more likely theme to the date is for Ashley to see Heidi and Elliot's other two alternate-personality forms. Now if the pink-haired girl shows up, on the other hand, or maybe Cooler Cheerleadra, things could go as far or farther than they did in the changing room. At least as far as another "thinking about baseball" joke.

But I also (still) think that this is a one-comic change-of-venue. Every previous comic in Part 20: Geminis has been set at the mall and centered around Susan and Diane. Dan didn't put a Part 21 at the top of this comic and he hasn't put a Part 21 on the archives menu. Possibly this will change, and I think it should change if we don't go back to Susan and Diane before too many more comics.

Here are some suggested titles of further Parts. Some may be dubious.

1. Part 21: Fun with Elliot and Ashley
  2. Part 22: Mystery of the Phantom Peeper
  3. Part 24: Sarah finds out Sam is Samantha
  4. Part 25: Luke fesses up to Justin
  5. Part 26: Voltaire gloats some more
  6. Part 27: Flashbacks of Adrian and Pandora
  7. Part 28: Is that Noriko?
  8. Part 29: Susan and Diane encounter minor characters interrupting their conversation about things we really care about.
  9. Part 30: Carol Brown shows up at the Mall for some reason.
  10. Part 31: The Big Mouth Vampire eats Principal Verrucht. Readers celebrate.
  11. Part 32: Dan stalls some more.
Edited by Tom Sewell
Fewer mistakes + More Fun

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

In our Parliament we have people with such math skills that they believe that 30% of all men and 30% of all women add up to 60% of the population. If that suggestion actually made it onto the agenda, I would fear for the future of mathematics in Denmark.

I remember similar math being used in my country ...

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And speaking of EGS #2418, I'm not exactly sure about what the five middle panels are. True flashbacks to things as they really happened earlier than the moments between the first panel and the last? How Elliot remembers what his parents told him? Or how Elliot imagines what his parents might have said to him? I think it's quite possible Elliot didn't actually tell his parents that he was bringing Ashley home when he knew no one else would be there.

I think it's the flashbacks. Elliot certainly didn't tried to hide anything from his parents, and it would not work anyway.

I think a much more likely theme to the date is for Ashley to see Heidi and Elliot's other two alternate-personality forms. Now if the pink-haired girl shows up, on the other hand, or maybe Cooler Cheerleadra, things could go as far or farther than they did in the changing room.

It would require LOT of effort from Dan to convince me that didn't happened even if he wouldn't show it.

Here are some suggested titles of further Parts. Some may be dubious.

I like the part 23 :)

Might be just as good as So a Date part 2.

1. Part 21: Fun with Elliot and Ashley
  2. Part 22: Mystery of the Phantom Peeper
  3. Part 24: Sarah finds out Sam is Samantha
  4. Part 25: Luke fesses up to Justin
  5. Part 26: Voltaire gloats some more
  6. Part 27: Flashbacks of Adrian and Pandora
  7. Part 28: Is that Noriko?
  8. Part 29: Susan and Diane encounter minor characters interrupting their conversation about things we really care about.
  9. Part 30: Carol Brown shows up at the Mall for some reason.
  10. Part 31: The Big Mouth Vampire eats Principal Verrucht. Readers celebrate.
  11. Part 32: Dan stalls some more.

Meanwhile, Part 32 is certainly not how it will be named.

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

When Elliot's Mom says "maybe keep it between girls? Safety First!" do you think that maybe Elliot's mom...?

She's suggesting that if Elliot and Ashley decide to fool around a bit, that it'd be safer if Elliot was in a girl form. It's got to do with her becoming pregnant at a young age and having to drop out of college to raise Elliot.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She's suggesting that if Elliot and Ashley decide to fool around a bit, that it'd be safer if Elliot was in a girl form. It's got to do with her becoming pregnant at a young age and having to drop out of college to raise Elliot.

Yes, but it also might mean that she fooled around with a girl or two before that.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, but it also might mean that she fooled around with a girl or two before that.

Well it was college.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It was in Indiana, 1897, and it was actually only implying a new value of Pi, which was 3.2 and not 3. It got laughed out of the Indiana Senate.

In the version I heard, it wasn't exactly laughed out of the Indiana Senate.. they assigned it to the Committee on Swamps. Said committee never sent it back to the Senate floor with a recommendation for or against.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Please allow me to recommend the excellent Dumbing of Age webcomic if you wish good examples of the kind of behavior there, along with much drama, folly and quite a few good laughs as well.

Been reading it for a while now. ;)

3 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

In the version I heard, it wasn't exactly laughed out of the Indiana Senate.. they assigned it to the Committee on Swamps. Said committee never sent it back to the Senate floor with a recommendation for or against.

I find myself quite curious to discover what other important assignments this clearly key Committee might have had. Possibly investigating why it is that one always returns with an uneven number of socks after having done laundry, how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if it could in fact and would allow itself to be persuaded to chuck wood and whether it in fact sometimes rains without also pouring.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I find myself quite curious to discover what other important assignments this clearly key Committee might have had. Possibly investigating why it is that one always returns with an uneven number of socks after having done laundry, how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if it could in fact and would allow itself to be persuaded to chuck wood and whether it in fact sometimes rains without also pouring.

The Committee on Swamps was an ideal choice to evaluate this bill. Since the premise of the bill held no water, it couldn't be a swamp.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well it was college.

She might also fool around with a girl at the same time, if the party was wild enough. But I don't think she would be such type.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I would add the classical "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" but that is actually valid question if you realize it's not about specific number but just if it's finite or infinite.

55 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She might also fool around with a girl at the same time, if the party was wild enough. But I don't think she would be such type.

I would add the classical "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" but that is actually valid question if you realize it's not about specific number but just if it's finite or infinite.

How about fictive?

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I haven't seen nor heard about any evidence supporting the existence of angels, so I have to consider it highly possible that any number bantered about when talking about them is just as fictive as the angels themselves are likely to be.

44 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I haven't seen nor heard about any evidence supporting the existence of angels, so I have to consider it highly possible that any number bantered about when talking about them is just as fictive as the angels themselves are likely to be.

I haven't seen nor heard about any evidence supporting the existence of triangles. Despite that, there are lot of useful mathematics developed on those pure abstract objects having properties not possible in reality, like sum of angles 180 degrees (real universe is curved), sides with two dimensions zero (there are speculations about gravitation singularities which almost have this property, but noone saw them yet), zero volume, and keeping shape perfectly while rotating.

Possible non-existence of angels doesn't make the question useless.

41 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

You doubt the wisdom of D&D clerics from the golden age of Dragon Magazine?

http://www.yamara.com/yamaraclassic/index.php?date=2005-07-11

On 11/7/2017 at 2:25 AM, hkmaly said:

I haven't seen nor heard about any evidence supporting the existence of triangles. Despite that, there are lot of useful mathematics developed on those pure abstract objects having properties not possible in reality, like sum of angles 180 degrees (real universe is curved), sides with two dimensions zero (there are speculations about gravitation singularities which almost have this property, but noone saw them yet), zero volume, and keeping shape perfectly while rotating.

Possible non-existence of angels doesn't make the question useless.

But triangles has been observed in the wild, and by studying them I've found that the current accepted knowledge coincides with my observations regarding their properties. As far as I'm able to determine without further investigation triangles exist and they behave as the mathematical models predicts. Angels? Not so much.

And I didn't say the question was useless, just that the option of any answer being imaginary had to be included.

27 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

But triangles has been observed in the wild, and by studying them I've found that the current accepted knowledge coincides with my observations regarding their properties. As far as I'm able to determine without further investigation triangles exist and they behave as the mathematical models predicts.

No. In wild, we saw object with shapes resembling triangles, which have some but not all properties of triangles (with more properties being similar, like the sum of angles for example is very close to 180 degrees - the difference can be under the measurement error actually).

Granted, still much closer than objects resembling Angels most people saw.

29 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And I didn't say the question was useless, just that the option of any answer being imaginary had to be included.

You said "fictive".

Now, imaginary, that's definitely possibility. The fundamental equation in quantum physics—the Schrödinger equation (yup, named for the same dude as the cat)—has an imaginary number in it, and the solutions to the equation are inherently complex numbers.