• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Wednesday November 22, 2017

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, Playtesting is getting to be answer for everything. "It will be installed in Tuesday".

"I will gladly repay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Show me... a 6? Will Dan do all the demos this early?

So if the player is not inclined to act in a certain way, personality modification cards can only affect the player so much.  But once the card affects the player a little, it makes the player more likely to act that way.

You are not required to act in a "Ditzy" manner.  But unless you consciously resist, you will act that way more and more.  And as you act more and more "Ditzy" it becomes harder to consciously resist.

Nice bit of insidious mind control.  What can take weeks or month for a team, club, cult, or military training to accomplish can be done in a few turns by this game.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nice bit of insidious mind control.  What can take weeks or month for a team, club, cult, or military training to accomplish can be done in a few turns by this game.

Big talk from the Pharaoh who ruled an entire kingdom based on his subjects' belief that he was a living god. :demonicduck:

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So if the player is not inclined to act in a certain way, personality modification cards can only affect the player so much.  But once the card affects the player a little, it makes the player more likely to act that way.

You are not required to act in a "Ditzy" manner.  But unless you consciously resist, you will act that way more and more.  And as you act more and more "Ditzy" it becomes harder to consciously resist.

That's not how I interpret it.

As explained in the Nov 16 strip (and again in a slightly less confusing manner in that strip's commentary), while under the effects of the Ditzy card, the player may play multiple cards of the same type at once (which is not normally allowed); only one goes into effect but all of them are counted as used, allowing the player to buy expensive squares with only a single transformation.

In light of that, I interpret what Hanma is saying here to be that each time the player makes use of the Ditzy card's effect to play multiple cards of the same type at once, the level of ditzyness of the "role" they are being pushed to perform increases. It does not, however, become any harder to resist.

The commentary does suggest that if (and that's a big "if") Susan grows more comfortable with acting ditzy (and thus stops resisting as hard), she'll automatically act more in line with the ditzy "role". However, this is unrelated to the increase in ditzyness caused by using the card's ability, and as far as we've seen the card isn't designed to make the player grow more comfortable with it. Furthermore, even if she does become comfortable enough to play along completely she'll still be aware of how the card is affecting her, and she can still resist it just as easily if a reason comes up to do so. (One potentially insidious side of this would be if once you fully accepted the act you would no longer think of new reasons to resist the act, but this seems to run counter to how Elliot's secret identities work, and apparently the "roleplaying" aspect of the card works the same way as Secret Identity Spells.)

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Except Susan is NOT resisting consciously. She's resisting subconsciously just fine.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

In light of that, I interpret what Hanma is saying here to be that each time the player makes use of the Ditzy card's effect to play multiple cards of the same type at once, the level of ditzyness of the "role" they are being pushed to perform increases. It does not, however, become any harder to resist.

I would add that Hanma said she had trouble with the effect, which can mean she was unable to actually implement the increase.

Calling it "complicated effects" also mean that other effects are simpler and likely don't increase at all.

However ... it is possible that her original idea was EXACTLY the insidious mind control Pharaoh RutinTutin is suggesting ... for balance, of course.

1 hour ago, Baldrickk said:

So when has Rhoda spent time in a dog form?

Catalina does cat forms...

The sentence was likely "But Rhoda always acts like this when part animal".

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Except for Dan's commentary:

EDIT: Catalina was going to say part-dog.

So either Catalina awakened and learned to transform herself and others into various animal forms, or Rhoda can transform herself and others into various animal forms.

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So either Catalina awakened and learned to transform herself and others into various animal forms, or Rhoda can transform herself and others into various animal forms.

Or, perhaps, off-screen wacky hijinx got them a wand or watch or some other means of doing dog transformations.  I agree Catalina's cat spells branching out into other animals seems the most likely, though.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Except for Dan's commentary:

EDIT: Catalina was going to say part-dog.

Oh. Right. Overlook that.

Wait: maybe it's combining spells. Like, Rhoda's disguise spell is normally limited to human forms, but when applied to someone in part-cat form, it turns her into part-dog. (Or him, but face it, they only test it on each other.)

48 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is there Dog Racing in or near Moperville?

I don't think they would let Rhoda attend unless she would let all the speaking on Catalina. And Catalina would likely blurt the secret ...

I happened to be looking at the comments on Patreon, and Dan said something that pertains to our discussion on the effects of the card:

Susan was thinking about the form and not being affected by it initially, and effectively ignored the changes. The less she's thinking about it, however, the more she'll naturally do things the form would encourage.

Hanma has mentioned escalation, however, and though the "airheaded" aspect isn't there... Well, let's just see what happens :)

So the effects of the card do not include becoming airheaded, but there may be more to the "more ditzy with every use" than we know yet - at the very least Dan doesn't want to spell it out yet.

As for the first part, it's a valiant attempt to clarify things, but there's still some room for interpretation. It does modify my interpretation of the card's effects somewhat; it seems Susan doesn't have to be comfortable with it to be influenced by the card -- not actively resisting and not thinking about how she doesn't like the "role" may  be enough.