• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story, Friday November 24, 2017

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Hey, I just noticed the context of the "bloody" in the "bloody list" of Magus' in the second panel: Magus is a Brit! Even if he could drive a car, he'd instinctively drive on the wrong side of the road for the States.

I'm American and I use "bloody" at times.  Doesn't autocratically mean a brit.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm American and I use "bloody" at times.  Doesn't autocratically mean a brit.

Then you should beware of creeping Britishness. Have you started calling gasoline "petrol"? Have you lost any teeth recently? Do you actually care about soccer? Britishness can develop into Scottishness; before you know it, you will find yourself eating oatmeal boiled in a sheep's stomach!

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Then you should beware of creeping Britishness. Have you started calling gasoline "petrol"? Have you lost any teeth recently? Do you actually care about soccer? Britishness can develop into Scottishness; before you know it, you will find yourself eating oatmeal boiled in a sheep's stomach!

No, yes, no and God no

46 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or maybe he picked up the word from Harry Pitter like I did?

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

(Also he totally misspelled wanted as wasted.)

Yes, but we're all fluent in Typo, right?

1 hour ago, animalia said:

Or maybe he picked up the word from Harry Pitter like I did?

Sounds like either the mining version, or the cherry version....

54 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Picked it up much earlier than that.

Yeah, I've been known to use "bloody" for quite a while now, having grown up on PBS, although I'm told it's a more severe swear than we Americans usually give it credit for.  Not to mention "Oy!" or even "Oy vey!" which just doesn't have a real equivalent in English.  :-)

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 hours ago, ijuin said:

Also, by the looks of it, Demetrius and Helena mistook Magus for an Aberration--note the reference to them saying that "his time was already over".

For obsessive vampire hunters, they didn't know their Aberrations very well if that is true. I assumed they just thought he was a ghost.

Which he may be.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Actually, Elliot knew Nanase from ASMA before the France trip, because Elliot rescued Justin during Freshman year, and Justin revealed that Elliot introduced him to Nanase shortly after that fight, Justin also has a flashback showing the introduction, he's seen still wearing the bandaid Elliot gave him. The France trip was the summer after Freshman year, so yeah Elliot knew Nanase already,

Points made. Elliot knew Nanase when she went to France and she'd been training with Greg. But as the Old Hack seems to agree, we still don't have a better reason for Magus to follow Nanase than maybe "As long as I'm getting out of town, why not follow that red-headed girl who looks so much like Terra?"

And I would add that yes, Elliot might have known Nanase before they started dating.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Another possibility for Helena and Demetrius going after Magus like that would go back to my theory about them being the "friends" that Edward said he would ask for assistance in investigating Pandora's appearance in the forest, and maybe her warning about the egg and hawk made Helena and Demetrius assume the worst in Magus if it was revealed to them that he was what Pandora was referring too.

Based on how they behave, I'm not sure Edward would call them friends ... but yes it is possible.

5 hours ago, Douglas said:

Dan addresses why Magus followed Nanase in the commentary. He knew following her would be a round trip leading him back to Moperville afterward, and by following her he could hitch a ride on the airplane, which is probably a lot faster than he can move on his own.

And more comfortable, jokes about space for leg in airplane notwithstanding.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Seems reasonable. Plus, being disembodied, being crammed into coach seating wouldn't be an issue.

Yes :)

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, just noticed: Magus specifically said there were in PARIS. New info!

Not new, it was known in the first Sister arc.

Overlooked that. The wiki thanks you :)

But was it really Pandora who gave that "warning?" I believe I brought up that possibility before.

Yeah, that's still up in the air to be a potential twist.

IF it's going to not be Pandora, it would totally be retcon.

Hey, I just noticed the context of the "bloody" in the "bloody list" of Magus' in the second panel: Magus is a Brit! Even if he could drive a car, he'd instinctively drive on the wrong side of the road for the States.

Maybe his universe didn't have the American Revolution and the US is still a part of the British Empire?

Or maybe the war did happen but the Americans lost?

Or maybe the war DID happen but Americans understood it is not against Brits but just against the George III and the parliament and didn't started to change language just to piss Brits off. Or maybe Magus is Canadian - there could be all sort of reasons why Naperville is Canadian city in that universe, it's not so far from border ... are Canadians using "bloody"?

Maybe the Native Americans had comparable magic to the Europeans and there never were English colonies in North America.

Maybe in Magus universe transformations are actually usable for healing, or they have other healing magic, and Native Americans could protect themselves against European diseases?

Or maybe Dan is not Tolkien and used "bloody" just because he likes the word despite being american and there wasn't supposed to be any hint behind that. Which would match the fact it was also used in commentary on

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2378

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2011-05-18

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1395

http://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook.php?date=2012-03-29

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1232

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=211

http://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook.php?id=826

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?date=2010-09-08

http://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook.php?date=2010-12-16

and ... wait a sec ... http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2011-02-14 contains it both in comics and commentaries AND specifically says Noah is not English but picked it from Adrian Raven. Maybe it is hint that Adrian Raven is teaching Magus IN SCHOOL both history AND magic and swears a lot while doing so?

UPDATE: Readed wikipedia. Bloody IS used in Canada AND it may be derived from German ... so maybe Dunkel (german dark) knows it because of that.

Certainly not something a bad guy would do, right? ;)

While Magus acknowledges that he has done bad things, he does not consider himself a "Bad Guy".

But this is nothing new.  The best villains in fiction and real life do not see themselves as villains.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And what is wrong with any of that?

Remember, the Scots and Irish are directly descended from the Egyptians.  Specifically the Egyptian Princess Scota who carried the Pillow Stone of the Hebrew Patriarch Jacob (the one on which he slept while dreaming of the ladder).

It's interesting how Magus says "Please don't let this stop you from pursuing..." then trails off. I wonder if this is because his mind is racing and he just happened to not finish the sentence, or if there''s a more significant reason. On a related note, I wonder if there's any significance to Magus thinking Ellen's origins would have an affect on Ashley's interest in Elliot, or if it's just another example of him not knowing her.

(These questions come to mind in part because while Magus claims Elliot and Ellen will be fine, I can't shake the feeling that one or both of them will be permanently changed by this experience, and that Magus knows this.)

While Magus almost certainly wouldn't have been powerful enough to force an Immortal to reset, I'm a little surprised he wasn't even there when it happened; somehow I'd always pictured Pandora doing it to help him at a critical moment.

Also, while there has been discussion here about why Magus went to France, there hasn't been any comment on the fact that he was in France at all. Am I forgetting this being mentioned before, or is it just that no one had anything to say about this tidbit?

BTW, no one's commented on how Magus reacts to realizing that Ashley wasn't in the know about Ellen's origins, and how he attempts to convince Ashley to not let this info affect her relationship with Elliot. Certainly not something a bad guy would do, right? ;)

Magus has good intentions, and cares about others at least to an extent. However, he believes the ends justify the means, and is willing to compromise his own morals to achieve his goals. He may not be an irredeemable villain, but he's not exactly a stellar example of a hero either.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Remember, the Scots and Irish are directly descended from the Egyptians.

And of course the Egyptians brought tea and scones to the British Isles. Heka proves it.

37 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

It's interesting how Magus says "Please don't let this stop you from pursuing..." then trails off. I wonder if this is because his mind is racing and he just happened to not finish the sentence, or if there''s a more significant reason. On a related note, I wonder if there's any significance to Magus thinking Ellen's origins would have an affect on Ashley's interest in Elliot, or if it's just another example of him not knowing her.

(These questions come to mind in part because while Magus claims Elliot and Ellen will be fine, I can't shake the feeling that one or both of them will be permanently changed by this experience, and that Magus knows this.)

While they might be changed, I don't think it would be in any way related to why Ashley shouldn't pursue Elliot ... and I'm also not sure why Ellen being duplicate should, even when not taking Ashley-specific stuff in mind. If it would be other way around, maybe ...

More likely explanation: he doesn't react on Ellen being female duplicate, he reacts to "we've been on one date". Which reminded him that "this" = him abducting her in Elliot's body might worsen her relationship with Elliot, especially considering she may not really know him yet.

While Magus almost certainly wouldn't have been powerful enough to force an Immortal to reset, I'm a little surprised he wasn't even there when it happened; somehow I'd always pictured Pandora doing it to help him at a critical moment.

Of course he's not POWERFUL enough, but he might be able to TRICK them into doing something which caused the reset.

And, yes, surprised he didn't even saw it.

Also, while there has been discussion here about why Magus went to France, there hasn't been any comment on the fact that he was in France at all. Am I forgetting this being mentioned before, or is it just that no one had anything to say about this tidbit?

It's unlikely he actually DID something in France besides escaping Helena and Demetrius. I mean, he didn't knew about the vampire slaying, so it's unlikely he deliberately lead Susan to one just to distract Helena and Demetrius even when not taking into account that he might not be desperate enough to do something that evil at that point yet.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

BTW, no one's commented on how Magus reacts to realizing that Ashley wasn't in the know about Ellen's origins, and how he attempts to convince Ashley to not let this info affect her relationship with Elliot. Certainly not something a bad guy would do, right? ;)

Magus has good intentions, and cares about others at least to an extent. However, he believes the ends justify the means, and is willing to compromise his own morals to achieve his goals. He may not be an irredeemable villain, but he's not exactly a stellar example of a hero either.

Which is pretty normal - moral heroes are scarce - unless we take into account that Elliot IS stellar example of a hero. Or at least seem to be.

Was Magus more heroic before getting stuck here? How would Elliot reacts to being this desperate? Would his moral qualities hold?

57 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

It's this that makes me ask, are we SURE Magus is an alternative universe version of Elliot?

Then again to be fair Ellipses DID cone with that plan to get immortals to treat Transgender people, and have to have Ellen calm him down so Elliot DOES have his wild side.

31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's unlikely he actually DID something in France besides escaping Helena and Demetrius.

If they followed Magus right away, yes. They could certainly have driven him off the plane--if they caught the plane. Otherwise they might not have noticed his absence for awhile, and perhaps not have thought about France until they heard Elliot mention that Nanase had gone there. Whatever the explanation, they did eventually find him in France, or come too close for comfort.

Something disturbing about Helen and Demetrius: They don't seem to have ever been willing to listen to Magus. I wonder if maybe they'd listen to Ashley if she should ever plead his case to them.

6 minutes ago, animalia said:

It's this that makes me ask, are we SURE Magus is an alternative universe version of Elliot?

Dan seems to  have said so.

I just looked back at the match between Terra and Magus and saw something different in these two lines of dialog:

Terra: This is what REAL power is, Magus!

Magus: Your potential is wasted, Terra!

Does this remind anyone of a certain conversation between Darth Vader and Obi-wan Kenobi?

My tentative plot theory goes along these lines: Terra, her universe's Tedd, is already being corrupted, taking something like that shortcut Noah was thinking about once. Magus is trying to get her back on the right path. But then he's sabotaged. Why? Who would have done that?

How about Voltaire. Think about it. Think about Lord Tedd. Voltaire obviously has some grandiose ambitions. Why should they be confined to just one universe?

As much as we love tying things together, they sure are only vignettes. 15.. years... worth... which is almost all of EGS...

Magus transcended space and time. Not very bright. Maybe there is more to this one last time, that proves he has a full plate of atoning.

3 minutes ago, Stature said:

As much as we love tying things together, they sure are only vignettes. 15.. years... worth... which is almost all of EGS...

I think Dan likes tying things together too. He wrote an extensive commentary explaining how Susan grew from basically a walk-on to a major character.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Has it ever been stated plainly if the native reality of Terra and Magus is also the home of the Griffons?  (Not the Quahog, RI residents)

No. But wherever Blaike lived had at least one dragon.. And, of course, one magical lion-bear.

I don't want to get into an argument with Lady Andrea about worlds having sides like coins, dice, or mobius strips.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Voltaire obviously has some grandiose ambitions. Why should they be confined to just one universe?

I wonder if Immortals are even capable of traveling to other universes? At the least I doubt they do it often; the fact that the Immortals in the Gryphons' world have a different set of laws would seem to imply that each Immortal has a home universe and that they don't usually just wander from one universe to another on a whim.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

No. But wherever Blaike lived had at least one dragon.. And, of course, one magical lion-bear.

Unless Abraham crossed between universes and brought the Dewitchery Diamond (and his journal) with him, the main EGS universe used to have Werewolves. We also know that magic has been used by humans for many centuries (the last Magic Change itself was before Pandora's last reset) and there was once a major battle where one side was openly using magic. I suspect that while the main EGS world currently looks a lot like ours on the surface, in the Middle Ages and before that it more closely resembled a world out of myths, legends, and fantasy - and that Blaike lived in the main universe.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Unless Abraham crossed between universes and brought the Dewitchery Diamond (and his journal) with him, the main EGS universe used to have Werewolves.

We know that the universe Blaike was from had werewolves, and the Dewitchery Diamond created the werewolf that killed Blaike. But once you accept travel between universes--which is part of EGS canon--we don't know that the Dewitchery Diamond stayed in the same universe. And we don't know if it didn't travel by itself, maybe thrown into a different universe by the very botched enchantment that created it. For all we know it goes wandering from universe to universe. Or maybe the Moperverse version is really just a shard from the original, with shards scattered across the multiverse like so much shrapnel. Anybody remember Inu  Yasha?

Also, having the Dewitchery Diamond and Adrian being from another universe might plug a few plot holes.

And furthermore, there's more than a superficial resemblance between Dad's Government Job and the Men in Black. Anybody recall that that their most basic job was controlling offworld immigration? La Migra with rayguns.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

are Canadians using "bloody"?

I believe the maritime provinces are more likely to use it. Southwestern Ontario's dialect isn't much different than midwestern US really, but I've known some people around here have said it on occasion when cursing.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

On a related note, I wonder if there's any significance to Magus thinking Ellen's origins would have an affect on Ashley's interest in Elliot, or if it's just another example of him not knowing her.

I think in general Magus might believe that Ashley doesn't know a whole lot about what's happening, maybe he hasn't been paying attention to Elliot's social life recently to know how much of anything Elliot might have tolled Ashley, he of course assumed Ashley knew about Ellen, and suddenly he might be worried that Ashley knowing more might scare her away from Elliot.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unless Abraham crossed between universes and brought the Dewitchery Diamond (and his journal) with him, the main EGS universe used to have Werewolves. We also know that magic has been used by humans for many centuries (the last Magic Change itself was before Pandora's last reset) and there was once a major battle where one side was openly using magic. I suspect that while the main EGS world currently looks a lot like ours on the surface, in the Middle Ages and before that it more closely resembled a world out of myths, legends, and fantasy - and that Blaike lived in the main universe.

Note that with the reliability of historical literature in general and taking into account existence of organizations like DGB specifically trying to remove knowledge about magic from public, it seems very likely we wouldn't notice the difference even if we lived there.

On top of that, Dan is not really doing any review of history. We know there was second world war in EGS universe and that Uryuom did NOT influenced American revolutionary war, but there are all sort of historic events Dan can freely say "that happened differently in EGS and everyone knows it except Tedd who was not paying attention when it was explained in history class" and we couldn't say anything against that.

We know that the universe Blaike was from had werewolves, and the Dewitchery Diamond created the werewolf that killed Blaike. But once you accept travel between universes--which is part of EGS canon--we don't know that the Dewitchery Diamond stayed in the same universe. And we don't know if it didn't travel by itself, maybe thrown into a different universe by the very botched enchantment that created it. For all we know it goes wandering from universe to universe. Or maybe the Moperverse version is really just a shard from the original, with shards scattered across the multiverse like so much shrapnel. Anybody remember Inu  Yasha?

Also, having the Dewitchery Diamond and Adrian being from another universe might plug a few plot holes.

While travel between universes is part of EGS canon, it's also shown as something not even DGB is dealing with regularly. Pandora specifically mentioned several countries Adrian spend time in, but didn't mentioned they would switch universes.

On the other hand, that dragon had lampshade on him. Maybe Dan will sometime actually explain it.

And furthermore, there's more than a superficial resemblance between Dad's Government Job and the Men in Black. Anybody recall that that their most basic job was controlling offworld immigration? La Migra with rayguns.

There are much more resemblances between DGB and X-files.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Not to mention "Oy!" or even "Oy vey!" which just doesn't have a real equivalent in English.  :-)

I've pretty much equated it to "HEY!" and "Oh boy..."  which I know doesn't make much sense for Oy to work like that, but I figure the tone that it's said in plays a role in it as well.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I've pretty much equated it to "HEY!" and "Oh boy..."  which I know doesn't make much sense for Oy to work like that, but I figure the tone that it's said in plays a role in it as well.

Is the "Oh boy..." followed by conversations with an invisible hologram?