• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story Wednesday, November 29, 2017

39 minutes ago, animalia said:

Speaking of Negima! the way people in the world reacted to each other may have changed but the PHYSICAL LAWS GOVERNING THE UNVERSE DID NOT CHANGE. This is why I say magic is an asshole. Imagine if everytim human kind got close to working out the rules of physics god changed how they worked.

I don't remember where or if the person was being serious, but I've heard a theory (in the non-scientific sense of the word) that exactly that has happened in our world. Among other things, it would explain why we have legends of magic that doesn't seem to work these days, and why no matter how much physicists learn about the physical laws of the universe there always wind up being more unanswered questions.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, as those of us who remember The President's Analyst, it's a universal constant: Everyone has bitterness for their phone company.

Oh my, quite a callback.  That was quite a movie, and yes, before the breakup of Bell, they were quite unpopular; afterwards for a while, many people remembered things a bit differently: "Remember when phones service was simple and the service was so great?".  I think Hudson Hawk took inspiration from that movie, especially the "Properly Paranoid" trope, because everybody was a spy.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think Ashley might have been asleep for more than half an hour, Magus and Sirleck had to get her into the car and they seemed to have been driving for a little bit before she woke up, we could have rewound an hour back, maybe more.

Well, as we all know, UFO's always appear way out in the boonies, or at least more people notice them out in the boonies away from airports, and really getting to the boonies from Naperville in our world looks to me like it would take around an hour, say the intersection of US 34 and Illinois 23, according to Google Maps. Street View and Satellite View shows just fields stretching for more than a thousand feet along all four arms of the intersection. Of course, things may be quite different in the Moperverse.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, as we all know, UFO's always appear way out in the boonies, or at least more people notice them out in the boonies away from airports, and really getting to the boonies from Naperville in our world looks to me like it would take around an hour, say the intersection of US 34 and Illinois 23, according to Google Maps. Street View and Satellite View shows just fields stretching for more than a thousand feet along all four arms of the intersection. Of course, things may be quite different in the Moperverse.

I wasn't referring to the "lights in the sky" bit as evidence of them being on the road for a while (if that's what you're referring to with the UFO part), just that Ashley waking up in the middle of a conversation is an indication of them having been on the road for a while.  As for what road their on, we really have no idea where they're going, obviously to where the diamond is, but there's a good chance it's been moved, and the lack of background makes it hard to determine if they are still in town or out of town.

"Lights in the sky" that aren't identified pretty much qualify as UFOs, and that's what Magus and Sirleck were talking about when Ashley woke up. What I had in mind was finding an excuse to confirm  your guess of "about an hour". I wasn't saying that only the United States was the only place in the world were UFOs appear as was falsely asserted in Monsters vs. Aliens. I'm sorry if I offended your Canadian feelings, especially in the year 50th anniversary of Canada's first official UFO landing pad .

14 hours ago, partner555 said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(Also, Diane is talking about boys and Susan is getting suspicious ...)

I'm sure someone who knows Diane told Susan about her date life.

Well Justin deliberately didn't ... and it's possible Susan didn't talked to that many people.

12 hours ago, WR...S said:

...actually, now that I think about it did Susan make Nanase's history?  An innocent "oh, you're a lesbian?" at fifteen leading to two years of makeouts of cognitive dissonance...

Considering how hard was for Nanase to accept she's lesbian, I would say she didn't took it seriously.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But is the medical condition of "Female" really as debilitating as "Child" or "Incoherent"?

It's not medical condition. It's a social rule based on men being responsible for women which would go away even quicker if women would realize it.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

As for the date situation, there's probably also a bit of "Chivalry" involved - after all a "true gentleman" is supposed to do everything for the woman he's courting (and other women as well), even things she can easily do herself.

... what I said.

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:
9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Helen and Demetrius won't be at Elliot's house not long from now to catch Sirleck zapping Elliot, and Sirleck sent six vampires after Adrian, where do you think Helen and Demetrius are now?  

Good question... I would think Helen and Demetrius would be tracking the vampires.  Main target is Adrian, they have identified Susan and Diane as potential hunters, would the vampires split up?  If so, one option would be for the Wonder Twins to split up as well, to provide support, but they seem to like sticking together, and honestly, have a habit of pushing young poeple to become vampire hunters, so I would think they might not be far behind Jerry.

Unless they are on (Diane's) other side.

Sister 3, Part 22 - Apocalypse

As in, Pandora's Apocalypse? Is this battle going to be so obvious and public that the world can no longer deny the existence of magic? This is going to be some crazy battle, then.

When the idea of the Magic Reset was introduced, I figured it was just another threat for the heroes to fight against, and an excuse to keep the Masquerade going. However, I'm starting to think it might actually happen (and fairly soon, too). I'm a little surprised; Dan went through so much time and effort to explain the current magic system, it seems a little odd to throw it all away and start over.

I've come to conclusion the magic reset will actually happen some time ago. Dan now spent too much time explaining how the reset would work and that Tedd will be important after that to just throw that away ... and yes, I was surprised when I realized it as well. It definitely looked more like something the heroes will fight against and win first.

On the other hand, I'd love it if the Masquerade was done away with permanently. I really loved it early on in the comic when the characters were using magic (including ASMA tricks) in public and it seemed public knowledge that Tedd was a mad scientist; I was disappointed when the characters started taking the Masquerade seriously.

This isn't what magic plans to happen and it might not happen on this reset ... maybe the next one? Which will came very soon after with Tedd's help?

And yes, I would also prefer to get done with Masquerade. Except Dan would then need to start think about how open existence of magic will change the world he created - I mean on global level.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe not. Look at how much effort Dan is putting into making rules for Goomanji 2. Clearly he loves games, and he loves writing rules. Having the apocalypse actually happens allows him to write a completely revised rule set for El Goonish Shive (Second Edition) without being accused of more retconning. And with Tedd, he's created a potential in-story agent to make the new rules.

Note that Dan doesn't like the retconning himself, yet he likely realized how some stuff he made earlier would be problematic if not changed.

3 hours ago, animalia said:

Imagine if everytim human kind got close to working out the rules of physics god changed how they worked.

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

... note that yes, it might've already happened ... twice. Maybe Earth WAS flat. And maybe the speed of light WAS infinite when Newton was studying it. On the other hand, if it was that way, it was changed so well it's no longer possible to prove it.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Clearly the stakes are already high, with our main characters under the threat of mortal danger, but now, the Magic Reset is nigh.  Honestly, I don't see quite we can avoid a reset with vampires paid to kill someone and encourage to damage property and the target is in a mall.  I think the real danger is when will the reset happen, like will it happen in the middle of the fight?  Also, will a reset affect vampires as well?  If so, then we might have confusion but both sides will be disadvantaged.  Except for the immortals, I presume, though that would be interesting if the immortals had to relearn rules as well.

I would say that yes, immortals WILL need to relearn, the confusion would likely be universal. On the other hand, based on Pandora's description, the change is not really immediate. Noone was speaking about any weird feeling yet. It's possible the magic will change BECAUSE of the battle but AFTER it.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"Not long before" ... can still be half hour.

I think Ashley might have been asleep for more than half an hour, Magus and Sirleck had to get her into the car and they seemed to have been driving for a little bit before she woke up, we could have rewound an hour back, maybe more.

Before ELLEN FIRING AT ELLIOT. The rewound was obviously longer.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Aaaand seems that Jerry failed to find any unconspicuous way to warn them.

Yeah, definitely not as subtle as he was New Years Eve, I wonder why? ;)

Because stakes are higher now, obviously. Diane was not in mortal danger before.

... and neither was Jerry, yes.

8 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I agree that I don't think Diane would leave Susan, but perhaps she would try to reason with Susan to leave?  To take cover and call for help?

I don't think they would leave either, I do wonder if Jerry will mention that the vampires are going after Adrian, I'm sure that would make them want to stay and help even more. I wonder if he'll blurt out the possible relation between them like "vampires are attacking your grandfather!!'

Susan may realize Raven should know herself.

... I don't think Jerry is sure about the grandfather thing enough. Specifically, I don't think Pandora told him.

2 hours ago, animalia said:

It has more to do with the fact that whenever I try to edit on this forum my past dialogue is all white and blends into the screen. Combined with having to use a touchscreen instead of a mouse and THAT is what makes it impossible. 

And there's probably not a greasemonkey fix for mobile is there?

And mobile browsers likely don't support bookmarklets either ... (I'm using bookmarklet to make the text black).

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Lights in the sky" that aren't identified pretty much qualify as UFOs, and that's what Magus and Sirleck were talking about when Ashley woke up. What I had in mind was finding an excuse to confirm  your guess of "about an hour". I wasn't saying that only the United States was the only place in the world were UFOs appear as was falsely asserted in Monsters vs. Aliens. I'm sorry if I offended your Canadian feelings, especially in the year 50th anniversary of Canada's first official UFO landing pad .

Still, the official First Contact will happen in Bozeman, central Montana.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:
12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Still, the official First Contact will happen in Bozeman, central Montana.

It's still a shame that it doesn't happen in Vulcan, Alberta. That would be soo meta. "Vulcans! Welcome to Vulcan!!"

I'm sure Vulcans are glad they don't have such confusion complicating the first contact.

(Note: I don't actually believe we are currently in Star Trek timeline ... for start, I didn't noticed the Eugenic wars. Also, when Kirk visited 1986, there was a notable lack of fans around shouting "hey, that's Spock! Mr. Nimoy, can I have an autograph?" ... it's still fun to expect the first contact will happen as predicted.)

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Still, the official First Contact will happen in Bozeman, central Montana.

Any miscalculation, it will end up in Saskatchewan. :demonicduck:

I am all for the pursuit of happiness, but the white default display text is a catastrophe.

Recognition by voice, then?

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Note: I don't actually believe we are currently in Star Trek timeline ... for start, I didn't noticed the Eugenic wars.)

Clearly they were secret wars. If comics are to be believed, these happen all the time. :danshiftyeyes:

3 hours ago, animalia said:

It has more to do with the fact that whenever I try to edit on this forum my past dialogue is all white and blends into the screen. Combined with having to use a touchscreen instead of a mouse and THAT is what makes it impossible. 

Can you use the "source" button? I haven't gotten around to setting up the forum fixes, so that's what I tend to use when I'm editing a post.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Clearly they were secret wars. If comics are to be believed, these happen all the time. :danshiftyeyes:

Well, they were in the "Eugenics Wars" books by Greg Cox.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't actually believe we are currently in Star Trek timeline ... for start, I didn't noticed the Eugenic wars.

You didn't notice the various wars featuring "Ethnic Cleansing" that started in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia following the collapse and break up of the Soviet Union?

Khan Noonien Singh found the supermen among these factions and put himself in a position of power where he could show off his pecs while threatening the world....

Is Vladimir Putin actually Khan?

So the Trek people didn't get all the details right.  Too much fits.

I'm scaring myself.

Somebody please convince me this paranoia is not justified.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm afraid that person can't be me. Want to start a real-world-paranoia thread in Off Topic?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You didn't notice the various wars featuring "Ethnic Cleansing" that started in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia following the collapse and break up of the Soviet Union?

Khan Noonien Singh found the supermen among these factions and put himself in a position of power where he could show off his pecs while threatening the world....

Is Vladimir Putin actually Khan?

Khan became the "absolute ruler" of more than a quarter of the planet, from Asia through the Middle East in 1992. (TOS: "Space Seed")

Putin couldn't claim to be holding any such position at least until 9 August 1999.

Khan was defeated in 1996. Putin is still governing Russia in 2017.

Also, his pecs notwithstanding, he never mentioned to be genetically enhanced.

Finally, the official number of casualties from the wars was placed at thirty million.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So the Trek people didn't get all the details right.  Too much fits.

I'm scaring myself.

Your paranoia is hidden optimism. Reality is worse.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Getting back firmly on-topic, let me say that I really think Diane's facial gymnastics between these six panels are awesome. Who else thinks so?

Is good, but I think we saw similar before ...

21 hours ago, animalia said:

Speaking of Negima! the way people in the world reacted to each other may have changed but the PHYSICAL LAWS GOVERNING THE UNVERSE DID NOT CHANGE. This is why I say magic is an asshole. Imagine if everytim human kind got close to working out the rules of physics god changed how they worked.

There is a speculation that if we ever do figure out exactly how the universe works, it will be replaced with something stranger.

And a companion speculation that this has already happened.

And a second speculation regarding how many times...

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

There is a speculation that if we ever do figure out exactly how the universe works, it will be replaced with something stranger.

And a companion speculation that this has already happened.

And a second speculation regarding how many times...

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

... I already posted that, but it's true it was in middle of long post ...

On 11/29/2017 at 6:41 PM, The Old Hack said:

Argh!  Sorry, I was around for the first secret wars, when they introduced the beyonder.  I have some... issues with that whole era of marvel comics under the helm of Jim Shooter.  Uh oh, better stop, otherwise I will start up one of those old man cranky rants about the current state of things, especially the current state of comics and all of their stupid tie-in cross-over Secret Civil Crisis on Infinite War Earths.

Breathe.  Drink Coffee.

Hey, isn't it great we have webcomics to read nowadays!  Ahh, much better.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:46 PM, Tom Sewell said:

I'm afraid that person can't be me. Want to start a real-world-paranoia thread in Off Topic?

Teapots.  Teapots that are internet enabled.  Teapots that are internet enabled that store your wifi password as plaintext because so many people are creating stuff for the Internet of Things that don't even think about security and keep security researchers from reverse-engineering this stuff to figure it out by using the Digital Millenium Copyright Act to threaten them with felonies.

Just teapots.

Wow, I am definitely feeling ranty today.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:48 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Getting back firmly on-topic, let me say that I really think Diane's facial gymnastics between these six panels are awesome. Who else thinks so?

They are awesome, and I think they are wonderfully indicative of an individual who is in the midst of try to explain herself but who is coming to grips with not living the life she really wants.  Diane has come so far.  It really makes me want to know what set her on that shallow path to begin with.

On 11/30/2017 at 0:48 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Not quite on the level of Susan, but this page didn't call for that level, still, I firmly believe Diane is quite capable.

Jim Shooter

Any relation to Dick Shooter, the famous founder of the Dick Shooter Cattle Company of Dickshooter, Idaho? Look it up on Google Maps

It really makes me want to know what set her on that shallow path to begin with.

That's a question I've been asking myself for a long time, ever since Diane described her ideal man to Rhoda. Before that she was pretty much a queen bee/golddigger, but that got to thinking about a deeper backstory. Are her (adoptive) parents divorced? Maybe. Maybe it could be a legacy of getting so attached to Rick only to find out he was gay--which could help explain her hostility to Justin. Since it's clear Diane still loves Rick, displacing that anger onto Justin, someone who put his longtime friend Melissa through a similar wrenching experience sounds quite possible.

Just how important is money to Diane, anyway? Even if she doesn't own a car, clearly her family can afford to let her use theirs which isn't a junker, and they have to be putting a big chunk of money to send Rhea to college. Rhea could still live at home; her college doesn't seem to be beyond commuting distance.

When Diane talks about a meaningful relationship, I think her model may be the relationship she's seen between Susan and Elliot on their show. Elliot clearly listens to Susan and respects her opinions. Better than Rick, who still treats Diane like a little kid. In fact, Rick seems to treat everyone like little kids from what we've seen of him.

Edited by Tom Sewell
left out a couple of words (again)