• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Monday December 4, 2017

2 hours ago, Alwaysnewguy said:

And he's really not anything 2.0.   He's the Immortal Previously Known as Jerry, who is into his Nth incarnation.

Heck we don't know how new Immortals com into being.  (I mean completely new immortals not reincarnations)

Just to play the devil's advocate here...

I'm wondering if that's not really Pandora, but Mr. Gaunt (Voltaire); we know immortals can impersonate living humans (Pandora has impersonated Wolf and Fox), so I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to impersonate each other.

* V was the one who told Sirleck about Raven in the first place.

* When we last saw Pandora here,  it looks like she was about to reincarnate.  When Jerry was preparing to go through the process, he said he'd be out of commission for a couple of weeks.  How long has it been since the night she visitedTed?

55 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

And he's really not anything 2.0.   He's the Immortal Previously Known as Jerry, who is into his Nth incarnation.

Heck we don't know how new Immortals com into being.  (I mean completely new immortals not reincarnations)

My speculation is that if an Immortal lives long enough without resetting, it will split into multiple new Immortals, and Pandora's multi-faced "Chaos" form is a sign that Pandora has begun this process. However, like so many other things, knowledge of this was probably lost or suppressed via reset-based memory loss.

1 minute ago, Stevie-O said:

Just to play the devil's advocate here...

I'm wondering if that's not really Pandora, but Mr. Gaunt (Voltaire); we know immortals can impersonate living humans (Pandora has impersonated Wolf and Fox), so I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to impersonate each other.

* When we last saw Pandora here,  it looks like she was about to reincarnate.  When Jerry was preparing to go through the process, he said he'd be out of commission for a couple of weeks.  How long has it been since the night she visitedTed?

In that comic, she says she'll stay as she is as long as she can in order to clean up her mess, and then she will reset; she hasn't cleaned up her mess yet, so why would she have started her reset? (Also, in answer to your last question, it's been less than 24 hours - Pandora met with Tedd very early Friday morning, and it's now Friday evening.)

3 minutes ago, jmucchiello said:

Why isn't Noah around?

That's all. I just feel like vampires are his wheelhouse.

Don't know where Noah is, maybe at home, or maybe Pandora told him about the vampires as well and he's on his way over?

Don't know about the whole wheelhouse thing though, he might be capable of fighting them, but this would likely be the first time he's done so (if he does join the fray).

Hmm this brings up an important question though. If Adrian does die, where would Noah go? Considering his background children's aid would be out of the question and he's likely old enough that they wouldn't need to get involved anyway. It's also uncertain whether Edward or anyone else in the paranormal division knows about Noah, I'd like to know more about how Adrian ended up adopting him though, but I do wonder if Edward would end up taking Noah in as well. Maybe Melissa's family has a spare room and wouldn't mind helping out. ::shrugs::

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Hmm this brings up an important question though. If Adrian does die, where would Noah go? Considering his background children's aid would be out of the question and he's likely old enough that they wouldn't need to get involved anyway. It's also uncertain whether Edward or anyone else in the paranormal division knows about Noah, I'd like to know more about how Adrian ended up adopting him though, but I do wonder if Edward would end up taking Noah in as well. Maybe Melissa's family has a spare room and wouldn't mind helping out. ::shrugs::

As I said above, I expect that if Adrian dies or is incapacitated, Pandora will take an active interest in where Noah ends up.  She might not be able to parent him herself, especially with her plans to refresh (she might end up the same age or younger!), but she'll do her best to make sure her grandson goes to a family she thinks is right for him.

2 minutes ago, jmucchiello said:

Why isn't Noah around?

Possibly because Dan has never shown Noah with Adrian where other people are around. But if Dan feels he's needed at the mall, that's where he probably is, possibly with Melissa. He could even be at the food court. The food court in the mall across the street from me has a dozen restaurants and something like a hundred tables with four chairs apiece.

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I suppose without the muffler he resembles predator.

In the webcomic Girl Genius there may be found some rather easygoing and good-natured horrors known as the Jägermonsters. All of them have huge mouths with rows of shark teeth. One of their officers is named Jenka and she is so scary that the other Jägers are afraid of her. The first few times we saw her, she constantly wore a muffler that hid her mouth and teeth. Oddly enough, that made her seem more intimidating than her fellow Jägers even though they were the ones flaunting their big scary teeth.

The last time she reappeared we finally got to see her without her muffler. As it turns out, she has a perfectly normal mouth and teeth that look just like those of an ordinary human. The reason she wears the muffler while together with the rest of the Jägers is that she is kind of embarrassed by this. :icon_eek:

I don't think vampires are social enough for either of those effects ... he doesn't wear muffler because of other vampires, he wears it because of humans, his prey.

15 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Her reward will be people around taking out smartphones and starting filming.

Which some may already be doing, from the moment she appeared.  Which means there's a chance the quickest to hit RECORD might just have caught Adrian's transformation.  If no one did, then people are unlikely to connect the elderly teacher with monster shenanigans, but if a teacher were to be publicly linked with all the freaky goings-on....

Good point - Adrian is in danger of being publicly revealed as elf. Although to be fair, his "disguise" is not so perfect, someone might connect it anyway.

15 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

(Hmmm ... it would make sense for her to turn to those filming her and saying something like "You, meanwhile, totally should run away". But I suspect she won't.)

Ooh, I would love that!  It would certainly show that she's aware of others being in danger, something Adrian likely worries she is no longer capable of.

... and the reason she likely won't will be that Adrian is likely right.

11 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If in the next couple pages Pandora says "your granddaughters", I would not take it as definitive other than in the sense of "descendants but not daughters". There's a bit of time pressure, and detailing just how many generations are involved can perhaps wait for a more leisurely moment.

Good resolution.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

To Adrian, the lack of any attempt to stop him from fighting might be a bit of a shock, but she has yet to tell him why it's important that he protects Susan and Diane. Best guess is she doesn't want him distracted by the revelation that he could and does have children/grandchildren/etc, but yeah, it might still end up being too late to reveal that to him.

I think best guess is she wants to tell him "properly".

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Though I really do hope he survives because I want to see how Pandora reconciles with him.

I'm more worried about Pandora, as there has been hints she will reset ... and also, IF Adrian dies, she will reset for sure.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
8 hours ago, CNash said:

...the fact that Dan put so much thought into where Raven was standing in relation to the folding table is just obsessively adorable....

Especially when you consider that the folding table doesn't appear anywhere in this comic. And since it doesn't, there's no visual indication of where in the mall it takes place. Looks to me like the problem was entirely in Dan's mind. Not to say that I've never obsessed with details that probably didn't matter much to anyone else.

There is definitely one table visible here and while obscured by word bubble, there MIGHT be hits of the second continuing next to Adrian on first panel.

Although I agree that it's unlikely anyone would notice if Dan suddenly pretended the table is just in front of Adrian and he can run right away in the direction parallel to it.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

IF.

It is possible the Immortals sort of always were there and their numbers can't really change.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

My speculation is that if an Immortal lives long enough without resetting, it will split into multiple new Immortals, and Pandora's multi-faced "Chaos" form is a sign that Pandora has begun this process. However, like so many other things, knowledge of this was probably lost or suppressed via reset-based memory loss.

Quite possibly the process is not exactly safe or reliable AND results in imperfect reset of all parts, so without other immortal observing it, noone might notice. Even if later multiple immortals claiming to partially remember being the same immortal appears, they may never met ... or believe each other.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
2 hours ago, Stevie-O said:

In that comic, she says she'll stay as she is as long as she can in order to clean up her mess, and then she will reset; she hasn't cleaned up her mess yet, so why would she have started her reset? (Also, in answer to your last question, it's been less than 24 hours - Pandora met with Tedd very early Friday morning, and it's now Friday evening.)

Exactly. Also, Pandora IS likely to follow her son OR Susan/Diane, what she did IS consistent with what we know about her, AND Voltaire wouldn't have any motive to deliver such warning as far as we know.

Not counting the fact Pandora is ONLY immortal able to impersonate someone else, what you say is possible, but Occam's razor would be against it.

20 minutes ago, Scotty said:
34 minutes ago, jmucchiello said:

Why isn't Noah around?

That's all. I just feel like vampires are his wheelhouse.

Don't know where Noah is, maybe at home, or maybe Pandora told him about the vampires as well and he's on his way over?

Don't know about the whole wheelhouse thing though, he might be capable of fighting them, but this would likely be the first time he's done so (if he does join the fray).

I don't think Pandora would use him that way. Even if he has more experience fighting vampires than we think, it would take him long to get here and would only put him in danger ... no. Unless he's already in Mall, he will miss this.

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Noah is visiting school. It's likely he has complete legal identity AND being in same class as Grace, already adult ... I fail to see problem. Sure, IF he would want help, he can reveal himself to Edward, but currently I don't think DGB knows about him. Although if he appears as heir-at-law to Adrian, they would likely notice :)

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Good point - Adrian is in danger of being publicly revealed as elf. Although to be fair, his "disguise" is not so perfect, someone might connect it anyway.

Maybe he could claim it as a battle form?  As an interesting side question, would Elliot's superhero form and secret IDs age with him?

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Pandora would use him that way. Even if he has more experience fighting vampires than we think, it would take him long to get here and would only put him in danger ... no. Unless he's already in Mall, he will miss this.

I dunno if Pandora would be using him at all really, we saw earlier that while she did struggle with the idea of Noah being family, in the end I believe she knows it's true that Adrian thinks of Noah as family and would treat him as such herself. And with Adrian, Susan and Diane being in danger, she might want as many able fighters available and having family fighting together would seem appropriate, and getting Noah to go help Adrian would be the same as getting Adrian to help Susan and Diane.

Though I do wonder if Pandora got word to Edward about the vampires, having him show up and fight alongside Adrian would be interesting too, maybe with the side effect of getting them to reconcile?

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

From the first Police Academy movie:

Q: What's wrong with this man?

A: There was gunplay, sir, and he missed it.

Semi-relevant?

Oh yes, if Noah misses the Vampire Butt-Kicking, he shall surely be disappointed.

Also, speaking of people missing,  I wonder when and where Helena and Demetrius are going to show up?  I can't imagine a Vampire Family Reunion without them crashing the party.  And probably bringing gifts too, like a Mark for Diane to empower her for this encounter.  B)  It would be amazing if it let her team up with Susan in some meaningful way.

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Also, speaking of people missing,  I wonder when and where Helena and Demetrius are going to show up?

Hmmm. We haven't seen Helen and Demetrius except in flashback in Sister III at all. Why is that? Did Dan forget about them?

Casting our minds back to So a Date at the Mall, a mere six days ago in Moperville but more than a year ago in our own world, Abner the detective reported that H & D were busy chasing vampires and not guarding Elliot any more. Now that seems true because of Lady Andrea. But they were watching Elliot at the mall; how else would they have showed up so quickly?

And if they're supposed to chasing vampires now, where should they most likely be now? How about at the mall, since there are six vampires there. Or Sirleck thinks they are. Perhaps there's been some vampire attrition already?

Of course, there could be even more vampires elsewhere, but given that terminating the seven previous vampires we know of seems to have taken up to the couple of months Lady Andrea was in town, just recruiting six more in six days seems a tall order in itself. There's also the fact that as far as we know, Helen and Demetrius only know three vampire fighters: Susan, Nanase, and the absent Lady Andrea--and they might not remember Susan and Nanase killing the vampire in France before their resets.

So what the heck have H&D been doing? Napping since Saturday night?

Come to think of it, does either Jerry or Pandora know that Susan has vampire-killing magic? Sarah and Grace told old Jerry about the vampire in France, but does new Jerry remember that? Unlike Nanase or Elliot, all the people who've witnessed Susan using magic are within Edward's trusted circle. We don't even know if her mom knows.

The Hammer Exemption

But Susan used to use hammers all the time, right? Tony certainly knows it, and Bad Tom mentions hammers after he gets shot down . However, all women had the ability to use hammers as long as Old Jerry's hammer artifact existed. It's a giant plot hole for anyone with  lovers of logic, but there's really no way to fix it without rebuilding the entire Moperverse--you know, like George Lucas did with three awful prequels. Or, worse, Highlander II. We really should pay no attention to the man behind the curtain for this one.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Detail I missed.

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

And probably bringing gifts too, like a Mark for Diane to empower her for this encounter.  B)  It would be amazing if it let her team up with Susan in some meaningful way.

It's unclear if Helena and Demetrius have the power to mark anyone yet, for one, they were improperly reset and we don't know what effect that would have beyond their knowledge being jumbled up or lost, they could have also taken longer than usual to "respawn" as it were.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Casting our minds back to So a Date at the Mall, a mere six days ago in Moperville but more than a year ago in our own world, Abner the detective reported that H & D were busy chasing vampires and not guarding Elliot any more. Now that seems true because of Lady Andrea. But they were watching Elliot at the mall; how else would they have showed up so quickly?

Abner reported what Voltaire told him to report. And it wasn't so much that to say that they were fully distracted, but that they were getting pulled away for brief periods to deal with them, the way Andrea talked about them about to say something about Tara but running off probably meant they were trying to juggle watching Elliot and advising Andrea.  That report was basically confirmation that the idea of using vampires was sound and that continuing to do so would give Sirleck and Magus a window of opportunity, Voltaire's additional mis-info about Adrian gave Sirleck motivation to take the plan a step further to guarantee it's success.

Here's a thought, maybe Helena and Demetrius tipped off Pandora?

There's also the fact that as far as we know, Helen and Demetrius only know three vampire fighters: Susan, Nanase, and the absent Lady Andrea--and they might not remember Susan and Nanase killing the vampire in France before their resets.

They barely remember. Though it's uncertain if they've remembered anything else recently. We know from Magus that they were following him to France because they felt he didn't belong and were trying to get rid of him, but we don't know if they remember yet.

Come to think of it, does either Jerry or Pandora know that Susan has vampire-killing magic? Sarah and Grace told old Jerry about the vampire in France, but does new Jerry remember that? Unlike Nanase or Elliot, all the people who've witnessed Susan using magic are within Edward's trusted circle. We don't even know if her mom knows.

Jerry knows because Sarah and Grace told him what Susan told them about the France trip after Susan had her major angst-induced awakening. Pandora should know what Susan is capable of since she's known as the Hammer Queen at school and she would have likely been told by Jerry2.0 recently as part of why he had been watching over her.

The Hammer Exemption

But Susan used to use hammers all the time, right? Tony certainly knows it, and Bad Tom mentions hammers after he gets shot down . However, all women had the ability to use hammers as long as Old Jerry's hammer artifact existed. It's a giant plot hole for anyone with  lovers of logic, but there's really no way to fix it without rebuilding the entire Moperverse--you know, like George Lucas did with three awful prequels. Or, worse, Highlander II. We really should pay no attention to the man behind the curtain for this one.

Susan hasn't used her hammer spell since the events of Hammerchlorians. The reason for it can be explained by her not wanting to perpetuate what the original purpose of the hammers was, it also seemed like usage of the hammers by women overall had diminished considerably if it ever saw widespread usage. The fact that no one really questioned how Susan could summon hammers and why no one got sent to the hospital should speak to how normal it seemed to people but then her not using them anymore wasn't questioned either so I'd say that much of the population of Moperville is both easily impressed and just as easy to pass it off as natural. From "That Susan is soo intimidating with those hammer!" to "That Susan hasn't hammered anyone in a while, why's that?" "Eh, she probably got bored of it."

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe he could claim it as a battle form?

... well ok, not necessary elf but magic user. Still not good think to be public for a teacher.

As an interesting side question, would Elliot's superhero form and secret IDs age with him?

Interesting question indeed. Realistically, as already pointed out in case of TF gun, anyone being able to transform has very little reason to age ; Elliot is likely to get anti-aging transformation the moment he will start to care about getting older. Anything else would be magic being jerk and/or deliberate nerf just like the fact transformation can't be used for healing.

Though I do wonder if Pandora got word to Edward about the vampires, having him show up and fight alongside Adrian would be interesting too, maybe with the side effect of getting them to reconcile?

I don't think she contacted him. First, it's likely not something she would think of, second, again, he is unlikely to get on place fast enough to make difference.

And with Adrian, Susan and Diane being in danger, she might want as many able fighters available and having family fighting together would seem appropriate, and getting Noah to go help Adrian would be the same as getting Adrian to help Susan and Diane.

Unlike Adrian, Noah likely isn't THAT good figher and might actually lower Adrian's effectivity.

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Oh yes, if Noah misses the Vampire Butt-Kicking, he shall surely be disappointed.

... although he might think otherwise and really be disappointed he missed the action.

Also, speaking of people missing,  I wonder when and where Helena and Demetrius are going to show up?  I can't imagine a Vampire Family Reunion without them crashing the party.

I expect them as well. Possibly with some other hunter they recruited meanwhile, but who could that be?

And probably bringing gifts too, like a Mark for Diane to empower her for this encounter.  B)  It would be amazing if it let her team up with Susan in some meaningful way.

While I find likely they will make the offer, I don't think it will make Diane that good fighter quickly enough. On the other hand, as I already mentioned, backstabbing is usually considered effective in RGPs, and with her stealth just having magic dagger could allow her to get some hit ...

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And if they're supposed to chasing vampires now, where should they most likely be now? How about at the mall, since there are six vampires there. Or Sirleck thinks they are. Perhaps there's been some vampire attrition already?

Yes, for someone supposedly being distracted they showed quite fast. And yes, if they are "distracted" by vampires now, they should appear soon. If they are not ... what if they returned to following Elliot?

I'm pretty sure Jerry did considered that to be important detail to tell to his new self. I also think he mentioned his opinion on Helena and Demetrius, although his young self might not share it.

Meanwhile, Pandora is centuries old ; she must be able to tell just by looking at Susan.

But Susan used to use hammers all the time, right? Tony certainly knows it, and Bad Tom mentions hammers after he gets shot down .

EVERYONE knew. Susan was generally known as hammer queen.

However, all women had the ability to use hammers as long as Old Jerry's hammer artifact existed. It's a giant plot hole for anyone with  lovers of logic

Not necessarily. Not counting "dramatic" moments (or more like funny ones), using hammers needs to be TAUGHT. Susan was taught by Demetrius, Sarah was taught by Susan and Catalina was specifically NOT taught because Susan was worried she will go on hammer spree, implying she is unlikely to learn it herself despite natural talent.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not necessarily. Not counting "dramatic" moments (or more like funny ones), using hammers needs to be TAUGHT. Susan was taught by Demetrius, Sarah was taught by Susan and Catalina was specifically NOT taught because Susan was worried she will go on hammer spree, implying she is unlikely to learn it herself despite natural talent.

Elliot wasn't taught, Gillian wasn't taught either, being "taught" was just being told about them and the instructions from Susan was probably as simple as "if you feel offended enough by a guy to the point you want to smack him, you'll be able to summon a hammer", the hammers when the artifact was still powered would have fallen under the same mechanics as other magic spells in that someone could accidentally use it under the right conditions.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Elliot wasn't taught, Gillian wasn't taught either, being "taught" was just being told about them and the instructions from Susan was probably as simple as "if you feel offended enough by a guy to the point you want to smack him, you'll be able to summon a hammer", the hammers when the artifact was still powered would have fallen under the same mechanics as other magic spells in that someone could accidentally use it under the right conditions.

If you think about it, Gillian was NOT offended AND she's Uryuom (so can't use Earth magic), so there was really ZERO reason for the hammer to appear ... except rule of funny.

Also, Dan specifically WROTE that one has to be shown how to use the hammers in the commentary for that Elliot comics.

(Although logically, the hammers would work much better if they would be automatic ... but maybe that would be too hard. Maybe Hanma and Jerry were travelling over world and teaching women to use hammers when young ... Or maybe it IS possible to use them accidentally, but it's unlikely.)

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, Dan specifically WROTE that one has to be shown how to use the hammers in the commentary for that Elliot comics.

Though note that Dan wrote the commentaries for those 12 years after he made the comics, and he was commenting on how he had Susan state that she taught Sarah.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Although logically, the hammers would work much better if they would be automatic ... but maybe that would be too hard. Maybe Hanma and Jerry were travelling over world and teaching women to use hammers when young ... Or maybe it IS possible to use them accidentally, but it's unlikely.)

This is the issue, if people had to be taught how to use the hammers, that would mean that Jerry had to show a bunch of women to get it started.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

This is the issue, if people had to be taught how to use the hammers, that would mean that Jerry had to show a bunch of women to get it started.

Jerry and Hanma, with Hanma doing the actual teaching and Jerry providing target for her as she can't whack human. Makes sense doesn't it?

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Will all this commentary lead to Hammerchlorians II?

Not unless similar appears somewhere where Dan reads it, like twitter or tumblr. Or patreon.

Maybe Dan will retcon it someday that the magic of the original artifact included clouding memories. If Old Jerry could do that, it would encourage more inappropriate remarks and the hammering of the inappropriate remarkers.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe Dan will retcon it someday

Unlikely. With the hammers no longer working, no reason to ever return to it. Unless he will like start rewriting the start so he can publish it as book or something.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

that the magic of the original artifact included clouding memories. If Old Jerry could do that, it would encourage more inappropriate remarks and the hammering of the inappropriate remarkers.

Not really ; the idea was that the inappropriate remarks were encouraged by men not feeling bad about them, which sort of requires them to remember it.

Although ... if you mean really cloud, like still remembering it but in some way not realizing how weird was what happened until someone will point it to them (which usually won't happen), then maybe. That would then connect nicely with the teaching to use hammers: normally, women wouldn't remember the hammering clearly either, but anyone taught how to use them would, allowing them to use the hammers more consistently AND train the usage.

... and such clouding techniques would explain lot of other things in EGS working, starting with Edward Verres methods of hiding Uryuoms.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

... and such clouding techniques would explain lot of other things in EGS working, starting with Edward Verres methods of hiding Uryuoms.

Maybe Lamont Cranston was a founder of DGB. After all, The Shadow had the power to cloud men's minds...

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Jerry and Hanma, with Hanma doing the actual teaching and Jerry providing target for her as she can't whack human. Makes sense doesn't it?

There's no indication that Hanma was ever involved in making the artifact, and her awareness of if could just be non canon. Heck, her previous self may have been aware of it, but not interested at all and it was only her current self that associated it with the anime fandom.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There's no indication that Hanma was ever involved in making the artifact, and her awareness of if could just be non canon. Heck, her previous self may have been aware of it, but not interested at all and it was only her current self that associated it with the anime fandom.

I said that it would make sense. I'm aware that there is no proof in comics about it. Luckily, the alternatives are never mentioned capability of influencing memory and directly plot hole, so my theory may win even with this handicap.