• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday December 4, 2017

... I think Rhoda would prefer to transform Catalina anyway.

Hmmm ... the keg might actually be just artistics effect, but if it actually DID exists ... how long do you think warm grog could remain warm? Or at least warmer than trying to drink snow?

Wait ... why did Rhoda used animal-clothing card when she was standing on one-point square?

So, er, is that actual whiskey?  I mean, it'd probably be a bit much to bring Hanma up on charges for supplying whiskey to 18-year-olds, but it might make the game a bit hard to market if it couldn't be sold even in US sex shops...

4 minutes ago, WR...S said:

So, er, is that actual whiskey?  I mean, it'd probably be a bit much to bring Hanma up on charges for supplying whiskey to 18-year-olds, but it might make the game a bit hard to market if it couldn't be sold even in US sex shops...

What makes you think the game is supposed to be SOLD?

In fact, I'm pretty sure DGB would stop it as fast as the wands with autohoming fireballs.

... on the other hand, I suspect it's not supposed to be actually drinked, which raises question if the keg can actually be opened in the game.

3 hours ago, WR...S said:

Actually it's supposed to be brandy. Looks like it all started with this painting by Edwin Landseer back in 1820. Ever since st. Bernards has been depicted as carrying these casks with brandy to people being lost in the Alps. Supposedly the brandy was to warm the unfortunate traveler who had got caught in the snow and was in danger of freezing to death. We now know that this would be an exceptionally bad idea as all the alcohol would do was to increase the blood flow to the skin, making the victim radiate more heat and freeze to death even faster, though possibly a bit happier about the whole thing...

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... I think Rhoda would prefer to transform Catalina anyway.

Hmmm ... the keg might actually be just artistics effect, but if it actually DID exists ... how long do you think warm grog could remain warm? Or at least warmer than trying to drink snow?

Wait ... why did Rhoda used animal-clothing card when she was standing on one-point square?

Catalina used an animal-clothing card to steal Rhoda's first spot, at first I thought that one would need to use more types to steal a space, but then I got thinking that if there's only 3 TF types, if how would stealing 2 and 3 point spaces work, if it required spending double what the space cost, one would need to have an effect like Ditzy and all 3 of the cards would need to be 2-type cards in order to steal a 3 point space, that would difficult to do unless you were really lucky on the draw. If you only had to spend 1 extra TF type for the space (2 for 1, 3 for 2, 4 for 3) it's still tricky to steal a 3 space, but at least it's doable with 2 2-type cards or a 3-type+1-type with a Ditzy like effect for both. But then again it was only assumed, it's possible one would only need to pay the same to steal the space as it did to buy the space, but there's no restriction to what cards you can use so one could use a 3-type to buy a 1 point space if they really wanted to use it.

1 hour ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Actually it's supposed to be brandy. Looks like it all started with this painting by Edwin Landseer back in 1820. Ever since st. Bernards has been depicted as carrying these casks with brandy to people being lost in the Alps.

It is a surprisingly persistent tale. Apparently it has been extended to polar bears on occasion, too. :icon_eek:

I read once that the original St. Bernard rescue dogs worked out of a monastery and did carry little kegs, or more likely skin bags, but the monks were aware that alcohol was a bad idea in the snow so the containers were filled with water.

(Yes, water. Sure, the lost traveler would be surrounded by snow - but using the snow for water would suck out body heat. Better to have snow that was melted over a fire back at the monastery and kept warm by proximity to a fluffy dog.)

If three is brandy (or even whiskey) in that keg, it is strictly for medicinal purposes.  And the girls playing this game, like responsible teens everywhere, would not even imagine touching it without both a prescription and parental supervision.

The Mythbusters thing Dan mentions in the commentary was one of many "myths" they tested where they missed the entire point.  If you are in shelter and/or know that help is coming, then alcohol is ab bad idea, as it will speed up heat loss.  However, if you are in dire straits and need to drag yourself to shelter, then alcohol is exactly what you need.  It will counteract your body's response to extreme hypothermia, restoring the ability to walk and some fine motor skills(essential if you're trying to build a fire), though only for a short time.  That's where the story comes from, and one of the reasons mountain guides typically did carry some form of spirit with them.

I love the blurry horizontal lines in the background of panel 1. It reminds me of the effects in some old NES games (particularly the Mega Man & Ninja Gaiden series).

It's also interesting there's just a glow behind Catalina in the final panel, instead of the usual starburst.

In other words, yay for blurry background effects in panels 1 & 3!

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She probably didn't have a 1-point card in her hand (either that or she really wanted to see Catalina as a St. Bernard). Also, apparently it's okay to overpay for your square.

14 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

We now know that this would be an exceptionally bad idea as all the alcohol would do was to increase the blood flow to the skin, making the victim radiate more heat and freeze to death even faster, though possibly a bit happier about the whole thing...

Well ... not if the rescue dog is lying on him.

8 hours ago, Wyrd42 said:

The Mythbusters thing Dan mentions in the commentary was one of many "myths" they tested where they missed the entire point.  If you are in shelter and/or know that help is coming, then alcohol is ab bad idea, as it will speed up heat loss.  However, if you are in dire straits and need to drag yourself to shelter, then alcohol is exactly what you need.  It will counteract your body's response to extreme hypothermia, restoring the ability to walk and some fine motor skills(essential if you're trying to build a fire), though only for a short time.  That's where the story comes from, and one of the reasons mountain guides typically did carry some form of spirit with them.

Interesting idea, although the mountain guides likely knows how much of that spirit should they drink for the idea to remain good.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If three is brandy (or even whiskey) in that keg, it is strictly for medicinal purposes.  And the girls playing this game, like responsible teens everywhere, would not even imagine touching it without both a prescription and parental supervision.

"Responsible teens", right. Funny. Although in case of game with transformation, it's quite likely noone will realize there may be drinkable alcohol there. And at least Ashley and Susan are unlikely to drink, despite being teens, so I guess there may be something about that responsible teens bit no matter how funny it sounds?

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She probably didn't have a 1-point card in her hand (either that or she really wanted to see Catalina as a St. Bernard). Also, apparently it's okay to overpay for your square.

It may also be tactically better because you limit your opponent choices by it I guess ...

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"Responsible teens", right. Funny. Although in case of game with transformation, it's quite likely noone will realize there may be drinkable alcohol there. And at least Ashley and Susan are unlikely to drink, despite being teens, so I guess there may be something about that responsible teens bit no matter how funny it sounds?

Diane would likely ask about it though if she was there. She's already had experience with underaged drinking, Ellen too. sort of.

Also some confirmation from Dan about the use of 2-type cards for a 1 space:

And then a response to my question about Catalina:

Athough:

And then in relation to stealing spaces, Dan apparently was tossing around an idea I speculated on earlier in the this thread:

23 hours ago, Scotty said:

If you only had to spend 1 extra TF type for the space (2 for 1, 3 for 2, 4 for 3) it's still tricky to steal a 3 space, but at least it's doable with 2 2-type cards or a 3-type+1-type with a Ditzy like effect for both.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Diane would likely ask about it though if she was there. She's already had experience with underaged drinking

I'm not sure if she would ask. She would think about it, yes, and maybe would ask if the game would go in some direction making her think it would be good idea to drink, just like on party.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also some confirmation from Dan about the use of 2-type cards for a 1 space:

Thanks. Didn't followed twitter about this ...