• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

Patreon: December 4, 2017: Space Kitty Susan

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I disagree. There is nothing educational on "Into Darkness". On the other hand, there is very little of "Star Trek" there either.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Spaceballs are educational. More than Star Trek anyway. :demonicduck:

But hey, I say any sci-fi flick is pseudo-educational.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I disagree. There is nothing educational on "Into Darkness". On the other hand, there is very little of "Star Trek" there either.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Spaceballs are educational. More than Star Trek anyway. :demonicduck:

But hey, I say any sci-fi flick is pseudo-educational.

Darn, foiled.

5 hours ago, Stature said:

2001: A Space Odyssey and Spaceballs are educational.

2001 had one big goof that bothered me even back before 2001.

Why would the people working in spaceships without artificial gravity go to the effort of acting like they are walking?
Floating is so much more efficient and fun.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

2001 had one big goof that bothered me even back before 2001.

Why would the people working in spaceships without artificial gravity go to the effort of acting like they are walking?
Floating is so much more efficient and fun.

You think of the huge wheel used to generate a pseudo gravity? Simple answer is that the human body works much better with a bit of gravity. Circulatory systems, digestion, sleep. And these are just the things I can think of right now.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:02 AM, Scotty said:

Someone on Patreon said that if it wasn't for the Trek theme and hammer insignia, you wouldn't know it was Susan, I kinda agree, but it's really the hair that does it, it looks more like Grace's style than Susan's.

I dunno, I see something of Susan in the face.

Also, I wonder what ship uses a hammer for its' insignia (In TOS, each ship had it's own).

9 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

You think of the huge wheel used to generate a pseudo gravity? Simple answer is that the human body works much better with a bit of gravity. Circulatory systems, digestion, sleep. And these are just the things I can think of right now.

No.  I know why the big wheel type space station and the Discovery space ship had the rotating sections to make the pseudo gravity.  What I was referring to was the Pan Am shuttle craft with the stewardesses in sticky shoes.

57 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What I was referring to was the Pan Am shuttle craft with the stewardesses in sticky shoes.

Obviously, someone in Pan Am management thinks that they look more elegant when walking than flying. Or maybe just more traditional.

(Also, filming the flying would cost more. In fact, even the walking effect was done better in later movies ... but it was new untested idea in 1968.)

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Obviously, someone in Pan Am management thinks that they look more elegant when walking than flying. Or maybe just more traditional.

(Also, filming the flying would cost more. In fact, even the walking effect was done better in later movies ... but it was new untested idea in 1968.)

It could also be argued that as this is supposedly a vessel used to transport passengers between earth and the orbiting stations it often is chock full of landlubbers who have no or very little experience in how to move in microgravity. Having the cabin attendants use their velcro soled shoes (or was it magnetic soles? It's been a long time since I watched this flick) to "walk" may cut down on the number of passengers helplessly bouncing about the cabin trying to get to the loo...

Just think of the problems live cargo like this poses. A few ground hogs flailing about when you need to do a acceleration burn can cause a lot of problems, and waiting until they've been hauled back to their seats and strapped down isn't an option when you are trying to match velocity with a space station or are maneuvering to hit the window to make a landing at a specific spaceport down the well.

9 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Just think of the problems live cargo like this poses. A few ground hogs flailing about when you need to do a acceleration burn can cause a lot of problems, and waiting until they've been hauled back to their seats and strapped down isn't an option when you are trying to match velocity with a space station or are maneuvering to hit the window to make a landing at a specific spaceport down the well.

* Pictures several groundhogs floating around in a space shuttle. * :D

This raises the question, if a groundhog sees its shadow on a space shuttle or space station on February 2nd, who gets six more weeks of winter? After all, space craft are supposed to be climate controlled...

11 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

It could also be argued that as this is supposedly a vessel used to transport passengers between earth and the orbiting stations it often is chock full of landlubbers who have no or very little experience in how to move in microgravity. Having the cabin attendants use their velcro soled shoes (or was it magnetic soles? It's been a long time since I watched this flick) to "walk" may cut down on the number of passengers helplessly bouncing about the cabin trying to get to the loo...

Velcro. Also:

Come to think about it, the stewardess might not have THAT much experience in zero gravity either - they may be rotated with more traditional airplane posts.

And yes, flying might be more effective in getting somewhere, but it's considerably LESS effective if you need to use force on objects - like, passengers or their not-zero-G-ready stuff.

A few ground hogs flailing about when you need to do a acceleration burn can cause a lot of problems, and waiting until they've been hauled back to their seats and strapped down isn't an option when you are trying to match velocity with a space station or are maneuvering to hit the window to make a landing at a specific spaceport down the well.

Obviously, it is necessary to strap them down in advance. And as part of the instructional movies on start of flight, show some examples of non-strapped people falling on ceiling.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

This raises the question, if a groundhog sees its shadow on a space shuttle or space station on February 2nd, who gets six more weeks of winter? After all, space craft are supposed to be climate controlled...

This is obviously false question. The day is February 2nd on current calendar, but it actually ties to the local equinox (46 days before it if I count right). There are no equinoxes on space shuttle (or rather, you can cause several in few minutes of manoeuvring), so there is no importance of February 2nd either.

A few ground hogs flailing about when you need to do a acceleration burn can cause a lot of problems

In a statement like this, is "Ground Hog" an derogatory euphemism for a human without spaceflight training or experience, ie passengers?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
13 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

A few ground hogs flailing about when you need to do a acceleration burn can cause a lot of problems

In a statement like this, is "Ground Hog" an derogatory euphemism for a human without spaceflight training or experience, ie passengers?

I though HE's captain obvious :)

On 12/12/2017 at 6:33 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yep, land lubbers the lot of them. :)

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Big talk from the Pharaoh who based his entire kingdom on a pyramid scheme.

To be fair, it at least provided jobs.

57 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I dunno if I would really call slavery a 'job.'

There is some question about the full use of slave labour in making them.

From what I've heard, the prevailing view is that ordinary citizens worked on the pyramids (and other monuments) when the Nile was flooded and they couldn't do any farming, and it served as a way of paying taxes. (This is from memory so I might not have the details exactly right.)

Edited by ChronosCat
Remembered that it was too much water, not too little, that interfered in the farming.