• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 6, 2017

Zeus, huh? Yeah, he is acting exactly like the original... sort of... well, not really at all. Eh, I am sure it will be okay, nothing could possibly go wrong with a name like that.

Susan is preparing to kick arse and take names. I could almost feel sorry for those stupid vampires. I guess we'll see how far Diane runs now; I suspect not very, I admit.

Zeus!? He picked a name his past life made fun of!?

On the whole, I think this is the clearest it's been that the reincarnations are not the same people as their past lives.

I wanted to ignore it, I wanted for there to be something of Jerry left, but... :bigcry:

I think Jerry just picked Zeus as in "just right now" to emphasize that he's not the same as he was before. Immortals are kind of like Trills from Star Trek in that way; they still have something from their past life (lives) but each incarnation is a new person. Sort of.

And that's sort of going back to their roots. And speaking of roots, Diane seems to be shedding the ends of her blue/black hair as it regrows from blond roots. Maybe Dan actually recognizes the symbolism here: Susan is returning to her roots, which really are the same as Diane's. And she's about to go charging off on a converging course with Adrian, and quite possibly Pandora as well.

I suspect that what we are seeing of Jerry is him without the couple centuries of accumulated wisdom. "Zeus" is probably what he always liked calling himself until he realized how pretentious it actually was, probably after having a few  of those "epic hissy fits" he mentioned.

So I guess Susan's hair wasn't permanently made dark blue by her awakening? Is this the return of Vladia Hair?

Also definite confirmation that it was Pandora that nabbed Jer....Zeus in Susan's room.

Also guessing Nase is the default fairy summon if Susan isn't trying to a particular fairy like Suze. Makes sense since Nase was the first.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also guessing Nase is the default fairy summon if Susan isn't trying to a particular fairy like Suze. Makes sense since Nase was the first.

Most likely, in a combat situation. It'd take precious time to figure out which specific fairy to summon - time she can't afford to waste at first.

Based on their names, I am amused that Zeus is worried that Pandora is going to kill him. An example of the interesting oddities that can happen when entities take names from mythology without necessarily having the relative level of power of the namesake.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

Zeus!? He picked a name his past life made fun of!?

On the whole, I think this is the clearest it's been that the reincarnations are not the same people as their past lives.

I wanted to ignore it, I wanted for there to be something of Jerry left, but... :bigcry:

Zeus has the same basic nature as Jerry, but when we saw Jerry, he had a lifetime of experience to give him wisdom and shape his personality. The core of who Jerry is appears to be someone who loves to party and enjoy life (which we got a glimpse of with the story about the hammers). As for the name, it was a name that his past life was thinking about near his death. Emotional connections don't (normally) persist over the reset, but maybe the name ended up in Jerry's memoirs and the newly reborn immortal thought it sounded cool.

54 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So I guess Susan's hair wasn't permanently made dark blue by her awakening? Is this the return of Vladia Hair?

Seems that Susan's hair is still blonde, it's just permanently dyed after her awakening, with the exception of the dye doing something fancy when Susan is about to face aberrations (or maybe it's linked to her emotions in some way? Though fighting aberrations is certainly going to bring up painful memories).

Hi Folks, long time no see.  Been too busy to keep up with either the forum or the comic for quite a while. Just got caught up with the comic, haven't had time for the forums. Forgive me if I've been anticipated by others.

It looks like there are going to be more players on the board than either Sirleck or Magus anticipates--Sirleck's got six Aberrations coming, but Susan the Vampire Hunter can't be part of his calculations. Where is Voltaire? Will Terra make a belated reappearance? If she's an AU Tedd, she's probably been looking for Magus for the last three years.

And there are tantalizing hints that Sirleck might not be entirely in control of Ellen.

It seems I'm back just in time. Pass the popcorn.

Susan's going to have a fan club if she keeps this up.  Ashley already thinks Susan is totally cool.  Looks like Diane is going to follow suit.  I'm sure Elliot would join and Sarah has been Susan's best friend for a while. 

And this is before we talk about Catalina and Rhoda...

Susan looks pretty cool going Super Saiyan and all, but I'd be able to enjoy it a lot more if she didn't have tears in her eyes. I'm a little surprised by them; yeah Susan still has emotional scars from her first encounter with a vampire, but I would have expected her to be angry or something like that, not sad/mournful/whatever (at least not before the battle). I kind of hope we get to know a little bit more about Susan's current mental state, as I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's going through her head at the moment.

Oh, and before I forget...

Yay for starburst of name declaration in panel three! Yay for starburst of Fairy Doll summoning in panel seven!

5 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Seems that Susan's hair is still blonde, it's just permanently dyed after her awakening, with the exception of the dye doing something fancy when Susan is about to face aberrations (or maybe it's linked to her emotions in some way? Though fighting aberrations is certainly going to bring up painful memories).

I really wonder what the deal with the color change is. While we've seen hair move with no wind before in EGS (the Hair Fairies certainly get plenty of work), all the hair color changes have been the result of transformations and similar spells, or dramatic events such as gaining magic or burning out. It would be really unusual if Susan's hair color responds to her mood.

Perhaps one of her spells is a battle form, and she's switching to it?

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Hi Folks, long time no see.  Been too busy to keep up with either the forum or the comic for quite a while. Just got caught up with the comic, haven't had time for the forums. Forgive me if I've been anticipated by others.

[snip]

It seems I'm back just in time. Pass the popcorn.

Welcome back. If by "just in time" you mean "before the first big battle of the arc" then yes, very good timing. Me, I'm here for Magus' resurrection, so I made sure to be here in time for Ellen(Sirleck) zapping Elliot.

(It helps that I have been following the comic, I just hadn't been on the forum in years.)

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

It looks like there are going to be more players on the board than either Sirleck or Magus anticipates--Sirleck's got six Aberrations coming, but Susan the Vampire Hunter can't be part of his calculations.

Judging by Sirleck's instructions to the aberrations, it does seem like he accounted for the possibility of vampire hunters being around, whether or not he knows about Susan being one is another thing, I doubt Magus would have wanted Elliot's friends to be harmed or killed either, but since Magus isn't aware that Sirleck added more vampires to the plan, there might be other things Sirleck altered.

I just had a thought...what if Pandora already talked to Magus? If she apologized for screwing him around and promised to help him get his body back, no strings attached, no riddles, no jumping through hoops, would Magus reveal to her what he had done in the time since she left him alone? Maybe they could have formulated a new plan with the expectation that Sirleck would doublecross Magus and soo far Magus has been putting up an act for Sirleck.

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Hi Folks, long time no see.

The Prodigal Dorsai returneth! Welcome home. Watch out for @mlooney's kettle corn—it'll get to you if you have dental work. There are other rumors about it, but I'm not spreadin' 'em. ;)

54 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Susan looks pretty cool going Super Saiyan and all, but I'd be able to enjoy it a lot more if she didn't have tears in her eyes.

First, eyes can water from anger, too.

Second, Greg is going to be so jealous...

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also definite confirmation that it was Pandora that nabbed Jer....Zeus in Susan's room.

Woah, is it possible that her summoned fairies serve a combat purpose; do they count as enchanted weapons or is this an upgraded spell?  Still, semi-autonomous fairy weapons wreaking havoc on vampires.  Dang!

55 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Susan looks pretty cool going Super Saiyan and all, but I'd be able to enjoy it a lot more if she didn't have tears in her eyes. I'm a little surprised by them; yeah Susan still has emotional scars from her first encounter with a vampire, but I would have expected her to be angry or something like that, not sad/mournful/whatever (at least not before the battle). I kind of hope we get to know a little bit more about Susan's current mental state, as I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's going through her head at the moment.

I think she IS angry (check that look on her face), but her tears are earned, considering the circumstances under which she gained her magic; being forced to kill a vampire at too young an age (mourning for her loss of innocence, too much a theme in her life).  Her tears may be for being forced to fight again, and honestly, three vampires,  she isn't certain to survive. She just met her sister, a chance for another connection, but she stands willing to defend the innocent against evil with her life.  Her tears are earned, and she is Bad Ass!

I take back what I said earlier about Monday's comic concerning the French Immortals.  It's not they who might mark Diane, I bet it's Pandora.  They might be too young (someone else pointed that out), but Pandora isn't, and she has so much more at stake.  Though, what could she give Diane that might help, since Diane doesn't seem combat oriented.  Some have pointed out that she could be sneaky and attack from behind like a D&D rogue, which would be in keeping with her apparent personality.  I wonder if there is an equivalent to the D&D cleric, who could turn the undead (D&D vampires fell under this category)?  Or... Guardian Form perhaps?  Wait, I got it, Guardian Form for Diane, Magic Weapons for Susan, then because they are sisters, Twin Winged Angels Wielding Flaming Swords of Justice!  SQUEE!

Or not.  Hmm, maybe I need to ease back on the coffee.

9 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Woah, is it possible that her summoned fairies serve a combat purpose; do they count as enchanted weapons or is this an upgraded spell?  Still, semi-autonomous fairy weapons wreaking havoc on vampires.  Dang!

I dunno, maybe her fairies do come with other features like fae punch and stuff, or maybe Susan just plans on using to run distraction for her, make the vampires swat at it while she comes in with the sword. Then again, people have speculated that unsummoning them in the vampire's face would have a flashbang effect, but I'm uncertain if that can be repeated frequently, might be more of one off deal.

33 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Remember what happens when Susan un-summons a fairy. Also remember what Adrian's murder-shroud crows did in the last panel here. Thirdly, remember Susan can summon multiple fairies now

And fourthly, remember this Sketchbook.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Then again, people have speculated that unsummoning them in the vampire's face would have a flashbang effect, but I'm uncertain if that can be repeated frequently, might be more of one off deal.

What I really suspect will happen is roughly this:

1. The monster eeked at will be the Big Mouth Vampire
  2. The Big Mouth Vampire will swallow Little Nase
  3. Little Nase will explode
  4. Everyone in the blast radius will be splattered with Big Mouth Vampire.
  5. Someone will notice Susan has a glowing sword
  6. Some geek will cry out "Look! A Jedi!"

And if it doesn't go like that, it should.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The Prodigal Dorsai returneth! Welcome home. Watch out for @mlooney's kettle corn—it'll get to you if you have dental work. There are other rumors about it, but I'm not spreadin' 'em. ;)

They are so good that I do not need dental the next day, promise. Or is it a different bag I am munching on?

Any others cometh? "The gang is all here" cometh?

Susan looks decisive and Impressive.
But what does she actually plan on doing?

And I suspect that "Zeus's" self chosen name may not outlive his first disastrous defeat.
So if he will not be "Zeus", then he who was "Jerry" will now be "Tom".

21 hours ago, The Stray said:

I suspect that what we are seeing of Jerry is him without the couple centuries of accumulated wisdom. "Zeus" is probably what he always liked calling himself until he realized how pretentious it actually was, probably after having a few  of those "epic hissy fits" he mentioned.

Seconding this. When he was talking about epic hissy fits between two immortals named Zeus, he was talking from experience.

21 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Diane's not gonna make it out of this without either being marked or being awakened, one of the two. Most likely as an emergency measure.

I'm sure she doesn't have enough magic to be awakened. Now, she's stealthy but getting out of this without mark would be very hard ...

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Not completely definitive (Dan said "likely") but yeah totally who else.

20 hours ago, Drasvin said:
20 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm definitely looking forward to what will the hair do AFTER the fight.

Blonde Susan as battle mode? Unusual, but why not?

14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Susan looks pretty cool going Super Saiyan

... ok, maybe not so unusual.

14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I really wonder what the deal with the color change is. While we've seen hair move with no wind before in EGS (the Hair Fairies certainly get plenty of work), all the hair color changes have been the result of transformations and similar spells, or dramatic events such as gaining magic or burning out. It would be really unusual if Susan's hair color responds to her mood.

Perhaps one of her spells is a battle form, and she's switching to it?

It's possible that she wasn't able to decipher what exactly that spell is doing.

18 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Though fighting aberrations is certainly going to bring up painful memories

The aberrations may find it painful for reasons beyond mere memories. Alternately, if they escape, this event may be a source of painful memories for them.

Those three aberrations which are now BETWEEN Susan and Adrian would find escape difficult.

14 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Susan's going to have a fan club if she keeps this up.  Ashley already thinks Susan is totally cool.  Looks like Diane is going to follow suit.  I'm sure Elliot would join and Sarah has been Susan's best friend for a while. 

And this is before we talk about Catalina and Rhoda...

I though Susan already has a fan club ... (searching) ... oh, right. That was feminist club.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Judging by Sirleck's instructions to the aberrations, it does seem like he accounted for the possibility of vampire hunters being around, whether or not he knows about Susan being one is another thing, I doubt Magus would have wanted Elliot's friends to be harmed or killed either, but since Magus isn't aware that Sirleck added more vampires to the plan, there might be other things Sirleck altered.

Exactly, IF Sirleck knows, Magus definitely doesn't.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

I just had a thought...what if Pandora already talked to Magus? If she apologized for screwing him around and promised to help him get his body back, no strings attached, no riddles, no jumping through hoops, would Magus reveal to her what he had done in the time since she left him alone? Maybe they could have formulated a new plan with the expectation that Sirleck would doublecross Magus and soo far Magus has been putting up an act for Sirleck.

That's not Magus's style. Also, Pandora can formulate plan she and Magus can use to counter doublecrossing Sirlect without Magus knowing it.

13 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Some have pointed out that she could be sneaky and attack from behind like a D&D rogue, which would be in keeping with her apparent personality.  I wonder if there is an equivalent to the D&D cleric, who could turn the undead (D&D vampires fell under this category)?  Or... Guardian Form perhaps?

That was me. And EGS vampires are not undead and I doubt there is way to "turn" them. And Guardian form is very powerful and not particularly related to summoning, I don't think Diane can get that as her first spell. Maybe later.

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Remember what happens when Susan un-summons a fairy. Also remember what Adrian's murder-shroud crows did in the last panel here. Thirdly, remember Susan can summon multiple fairies now

I'm surprised she didn't yet.

13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What I really suspect will happen is roughly this:

1. The monster eeked at will be the Big Mouth Vampire
  2. The Big Mouth Vampire will swallow Little Nase
  3. Little Nase will explode
  4. Everyone in the blast radius will be splattered with Big Mouth Vampire.
  5. Someone will notice Susan has a glowing sword
  6. Some geek will cry out "Look! A Jedi!"

Star Wars in 2014? That would need to be really geek. Now, if it would be after The Force Awakens ...

... ok, it's totally possible Dan will play with timeline to make that reference. Or use geek. But it would be interesting if he would use some less obvious reference ...

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Susan looks decisive and Impressive.
But what does she actually plan on doing?

I would expect she will stab the vampires with her sword, but the fact she didn't summoned it yet is confusing me ...