• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story, Friday December 8, 2017

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

So, Susan's hair become a reservoir of magic. I wonder if the capacity of that reservoir is dependent on the length of her hair. That would give her a good, logical reason not to cut it.

Nah, whoosh was already adequately logical.

4 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

If vampires could be saved, exorcised of their evil, and someone told Susan that, I could see her working to figure out less lethal ways to stop them, because she is a good person at heart.

And we know they can't be saved from what Verres said.

Just now, Alwaysnewguy said:

Why is everyone assuming the kangaroo guy and big monster are separate vampires. Shapeshifting between human and monster forms is, if not common, than at least not unheard of among abberations.

Mainly Dan's commentary strongly implies it:

R.I.P. bearded snake vampire, 12-8-2017 to 12-8-2017. Your incredible back story about how you liked snakes, beards, and Dracula capes shall never be told.

If bearded snake vampire was kangaroo guy, the birth and death dates should be 10-18-2017 to 12-8-2017.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, does that mean they can start turning on each other right away?

There's still the bonus for not killing anyone except the target (and any vampire hunters) the rest of them might think twice about splitting the party, but they probably won't turn on each other.

At least not until the task is complete.

But I don't think it'll get that far. (I hope)

Just now, Vorlonagent said:

Did anybody besides me notice that the sword Susan used survived its encounter with the bearded snake-vampire?

Might be an upgraded spell, maybe the glow makes it more durable. Though it's too soon to tell yet, it might be going poof between pages.

Although, then again, Susan summoned a sword in the first Sister arc, used it, and still had it after (didn't see her resummon it). So maybe it was retconned to be good for one good hit in Hammerchlorians, and then upgraded back to the original now?

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

magic does seem willing to upgrade spells.  Nanase's fairydoll spell did not start with its "fae punch" sub-spell but added it later.

I didn't have your reaction but I wouldn't want you to feel like "it's just you."  in any bad way. 

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Nanase's fairydoll spell also upgraded so she can have different outfits.

And while I didn't have a reaction like that either, it's certainly a reasonable reaction.

Thanks, guys!  Yeah, the way I reacted could be traced to a number of things, including other graphic fiction I have read.  But for me at least, this was a highly effective comic in terms of emotional punch.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Mainly Dan's commentary strongly implies it:

If bearded snake vampire was kangaroo guy, the birth and death dates should be 10-18-2017 to 12-8-2017.

I'm sorry. I meant that I suspected kangaroo guy was actually this thing that was talking to facescarf guy during "Gathering Monsters" Mostly because it would make sense for him to be in human form until the attack started and they seem to be operating in teams. A lot of people seemed to think that the kangaroo guy was a totally new aberration that we hadn't seen, when he could easily have been that thing.

Just now, Alwaysnewguy said:

I'm sorry. I meant that I suspected kangaroo guy was actually this thing that was talking to facescarf guy during "Gathering Monsters" Mostly because it would make sense for him to be in human form until the attack started and they seem to be operating in teams. A lot of people seemed to think that the kangaroo guy was a totally new aberration that we hadn't seen, when he could easily have been that thing.

In the Gathering Monsters page, we don't have a good look at what that vampire looked like prior to transforming into the beast so it'd hard to say if they're the same guy or not.

But when Dan linked references to the scarf guy, it was to his first appearance, and Kangaroo guy's link was to when he tried scamming money out of Susan. I'd think if they were the same, they should both have references in Gathering Monsters right?

One other bit, in Gathering Monsters, scarf guy and beast guy had a bit of a verbal scuffle, I wouldn't be surprised if scarf guy wanted to just give beast guy a wide berth to avoid risking loss of the bonus, then he found kangaroo guy who was somewhat more agreeable.

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

So, Susan's hair become a reservoir of magic. I wonder if the capacity of that reservoir is dependent on the length of her hair. That would give her a good, logical reason not to cut it.

I wonder what way and how quickly it would be recharging. Will we get Susan with two-color hair again? ... wait, she now has the watches with various hair color doesn't she?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

And soo much for the bonus for all aberrations surviving this.

That was VERY unlikely from start.

10 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Also, since her hair IS magic, could it be assumed she can have it blow in the wind upon command even if there's no wind?

Her hair is NOT magic. The color is. Still, I hope she will get that upgrade soon.

10 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I wonder how many times she can summon the fairies?  Also, would this support her getting more fairy based spells?

She only needs six, that should be well within her capabilities. Also, probably yes ... maybe it will give her upgrade allowing to use fairies in fight in not-self-sacrificing manner ... ?

7 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:
9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

... certain political ideologies where I do not believe the world is left any poorer if their adherents die.

Yeah, me too, the problem is being certain.

I guess lot of those ideologies have their own ideas of who wouldn't make world poorer by missing?

Nevertheless, I agree.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I wonder if Aberrations get to choose what their monster form will look like ahead of time? That's a really fuzzy and cuddly-looking "vampire" there...

I'm sure their form is their choice, but it might be subconscious one. Also yes, that's really fuzzy and cuddly vampire ... must be some story.

In addition, it's generally considered okay to kill enemy combatants in war (assuming the method used is not unnecessarily inhumane and they haven't surrendered first). And sometimes (particularly in fiction but to an extent in real life) the same principles are applied to any combat even if it has nothing to do with war.

Of course it's considered okay. The people who though it's not ok are not only dead, but extinct.

We exist in a universe where causality is inherently amoral.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I kind of get that. This is when the story is lying on the border of the real rather than being, say, high fantasy. When Legolas and Gimli competes for highest bodycount at Helm's Deep, it is played for laughs. When WW2 soldiers are fighting a desperate rearguard battle against attacking enemies, the mounting casualties grow horrific.

I suppose noone is rooting for orcs.

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

So, our narrator clearly isn't omniscient. Is it a character? And if so, who? (If so, I'd guess one of the immortals, probably Pandora or Voltair. Jerry would work too, if he wasn't dead.)

I was wondering that too.  I think it might be Jerry in the form of information handed down to Zeus, since Jerry was there for the creation of Susan's Hair Bank O'Power.

It might also be Helena, she has some experience with narrating. But neither would work for Pandora's story.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And soo much for the bonus for all aberrations surviving this.

Hmm, does that mean they can start turning on each other right away?

More likely, they start throwing each other against Adrian and Susan.

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Did anybody besides me notice that the sword Susan used survived its encounter with the bearded snake-vampire?

It might still disappear next frame, but yes maybe she got upgrade with better persistence.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Bottom line, very effective, but I am glad that something like this is usually not the norm.

If it would be norm you would likely get more used to that.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:
6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

If vampires could be saved, exorcised of their evil, and someone told Susan that, I could see her working to figure out less lethal ways to stop them, because she is a good person at heart.

And we know they can't be saved from what Verres said.

Technically, he might be mistaken ... but I'm sure Dan WANTS them unsaveable.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Although, then again, Susan summoned a sword in the first Sister arc, used it, and still had it after (didn't see her resummon it). So maybe it was retconned to be good for one good hit in Hammerchlorians, and then upgraded back to the original now?

The goo monster was not completely solid. But yes maybe she got already stronger at that point, despite not being awakened yet.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Well there's also this speculation from Tedd about Nanase's hair. Maybe Nanase shouldn't have cut hers during her burn out?

Maybe, but she had so much hair she really hadn't any choice.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well there's also this speculation from Tedd about Nanase's hair. Maybe Nanase shouldn't have cut hers during her burn out?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

There's always the choice to keep your hair long!  Always, I say!

Seriously, if long hair is too hot and awkward to jog in the summer, I could show her how to French braid it and then feed the tail up underneath until the whole thing disappears.

I know some people refuse to believe it, but I have had hair as long as Susan's, and I have had much shorter, and my experience was that long hair was considerably easier to manage, not more difficult.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Of course it's considered okay. The people who though it's not ok are not only dead, but extinct.

Actually, I said "generally" for a reason; some pacifists base their pacifism on the belief that killing another human being under any circumstances is wrong.

It might also be Helena, she has some experience with narrating. But neither would work for Pandora's story.

I don't think Helena would know enough about Susan or Susan's magic to make this narration.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I guess lot of those ideologies have their own ideas of who wouldn't make world poorer by missing?

Nevertheless, I agree.

My basic ideology states that there should be room for everybody and that freedom -- be it of thought, belief or lifestyle -- is a human right. Theirs states that I must die, my wife must die and my whole family must die and that freedom is only for the privileged few. The differences are not readily reconcilable, if I may indulge in a small understatement.

That kind of depends on the Orcs. Tolkien Orcs do not have many sympathetic traits. Warhammer Orks (especially WH40K Orks) and their close cousins the Warcraft Orcs have numbers of them and many people are greatly fond of them. But this is actually due to the level of humour and once again the presence of even violent comedy takes the game far enough away from reality that neither side minds a high body count very much even though one of the sides is often human.

3 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Actually, I said "generally" for a reason; some pacifists base their pacifism on the belief that killing another human being under any circumstances is wrong.

There is a reason I am not a pacifist. Should members of the ideology I hinted at above come a-knocking, I would resist them with violence if need be and would kill if I had to. Not gladly, but nonetheless.

12 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So, our narrator clearly isn't omniscient. Is it a character?

9 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

There is the possibility that the "Image" of the sword persists as long as Susan has the sword drawn, but the mass must regenerate between strikes.

6 hours ago, showler said:

Narrator is the Egyptian "God of Magic" guy.

Until I hear something better, this is correct.

Even if Dan says it's something different, this is still correct.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There's always the choice to keep your hair long!  Always, I say!

Seriously not always. Although that's only after Tedd started experimenting, it was comparable to Susan's before.

51 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Must be recessive gene :)

48 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Nevertheless, I agree.

My basic ideology states that there should be room for everybody and that freedom -- be it of thought, belief or lifestyle -- is a human right. Theirs states that I must die, my wife must die and my whole family must die and that freedom is only for the privileged few. The differences are not readily reconcilable, if I may indulge in a small understatement.

If only there would really be room for everybody. We need to finish that FTL drive fast.

Yes ; there is serious incompatibility there.

51 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

That kind of depends on the Orcs. Tolkien Orcs do not have many sympathetic traits.

I don't know of ANY. And yes, I was speaking about Tolkien ones. Warcraft ones can be sympathetic occasionally.

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Perhaps Kittenlina?

Doubtful. No freckles.

Dan really did this first engagement right. Little Nase flew into Fluffy the Vampire Snake's eye, then exploded just as Susan was summoning her sword--the spikes are an effect of summoning her weapons, especially the one on the handle. In two panels Little Nase has literally blindsided the vampire, giving Susan enough time to move her sword around for the beheadning stroke in the last panel.That was a bit over the top; any experienced swordfighter would have gone right for an impaling attack, faster and harder to dodge. This is a big reason the Roman Legions butchered every Celtic army foolish enough to meet them in pitched battle with their cool-looking slashing longswords. That said, beheading a giant flying snake with one stroke will make Carol Brown a star if she's recording it.

And in Dan's comments, "R.I.P" obviously means "Rest In Pieces".

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

This is a big reason the Roman Legions butchered every Celtic army foolish enough to meet them in pitched battle with their cool-looking slashing longswords.

I suspect the bit about Roman Legions fighting like units while Celtic armies fighting like individuals was more important.

20 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That was a bit over the top; any experienced swordfighter would have gone right for an impaling attack, faster and harder to dodge.

Against human, sure. Against vampire, it might not be enough to kill it. But I would expect forehand strike when she summoned the sword behind her. If she wanted backhand, she should've prepare the hand first and then summon the sword.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect the bit about Roman Legions fighting like units while Celtic armies fighting like individuals was more important.

Against human, sure. Against vampire, it might not be enough to kill it. But I would expect forehand strike when she summoned the sword behind her. If she wanted backhand, she should've prepare the hand first and then summon the sword.

Exactly. But the forehand stroke would have put her sword behind her, and wouldn't have looked nearly as cool.

Catalina is a Spanish or Porguguese version of Katherine, meaning "pure". Maybe Dan will do something with that connection someday. "Rhoda" means "rose"; it's from Greek (but also was a very popular Latin name, yet another thing the Romans stole for themselves. It can also refer to a person from Rhodes, which is named for its famous rosees. And ancestors from the Eastern Mediterranean sort of fit with Rhoda's complexion.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Catalina is a Spanish or Porguguese version of Katherine, meaning "pure". Maybe Dan will do something with that connection someday. "Rhoda" means "rose"; it's from Greek (but also was a very popular Latin name, yet another thing the Romans stole for themselves.

Did you already told him about that connection? Because he may not be aware.

44 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
7 hours ago, showler said:

Narrator is the Egyptian "God of Magic" guy.

Until I hear something better, this is correct.

Even if Dan says it's something different, this is still correct.

I like the theory about it being Jerry. The narration comes across like observations he would have made during and after Susan's awakening and then passed along to Zeus.