• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story, Friday December 8, 2017

And she did use the fairy as a flashbang. Whether or not she does that again remains to be seen, something tells me we're going to see a number of new abilities so the likelihood of repeated usage is probably low.

This aberration is apparently one we haven't seen before, we know Kangaroo guy and scarf guy are in the mall, so that other beast thing is still lurking somewhere too, those three are probably still laying low while the 3 that Pandora and Zeus mentioned were new ones.

And soo much for the bonus for all aberrations surviving this.

Susan aberration kill count to date = 2 :D

Mrs. Dorsai and I have been listening to the Outlander series of books as read by  Davina Porter. Right now,  a very young character is bragging about how his granda has killed two dozen redcoats., pretty that won't be the final accounting.  Nevertheless, his granda is a good guy, and one of the major characters in the series. Susan's body count is two, with more likely coming. It's funny what we'll accept in fiction.

10 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

So, Susan's hair become a reservoir of magic. I wonder if the capacity of that reservoir is dependent on the length of her hair. That would give her a good, logical reason not to cut it.

Reservoir of magic?  I am thinking that it might not be a good idea to cut her hair, lest you create magic effects.  Also, since her hair IS magic, could it be assumed she can have it blow in the wind upon command even if there's no wind?

37 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And she did use the fairy as a flashbang. Whether or not she does that again remains to be seen, something tells me we're going to see a number of new abilities so the likelihood of repeated usage is probably low.

I wonder how many times she can summon the fairies?  Also, would this support her getting more fairy based spells?

24 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Right now,  a very young character is bragging about how his granda has killed two dozen redcoats., pretty that won't be the final accounting.  Nevertheless, his granda is a good guy, and one of the major characters in the series. Susan's body count is two, with more likely coming. It's funny what we'll accept in fiction.

Well, the Dorsai weren't exactly known for their low body count, either. :icon_eek:

37 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

So, Susan's hair become a reservoir of magic. I wonder if the capacity of that reservoir is dependent on the length of her hair. That would give her a good, logical reason not to cut it.

Would that make Susan some kind Super Saiyan Samson?

1 minute ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Point , but we're the good guys.

I loved the Dorsai stories. Thing is, it isn't just in fiction that we are sometimes cool with high body counts. There are people or creatures we despise so much that we consider it extermination rather than killing when they get dropped. I will not give specifics but there are certain political ideologies where I do not believe the world is left any poorer if their adherents die.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

... certain political ideologies where I do not believe the world is left any poorer if their adherents die.

Yeah, me too, the problem is being certain. Jamie (the hero of the Outlander books, has good reasons for his extra-legal killings, and while I'm listening to the books (we've been doing a lot of long-distance driving, lately) it doesn't bother me. It's only afterwards, when I'm thinking about it, that the mass of corpses (to be fair, most of them were trying to commit murder or worse just before they assumed room temp.) seems oppressive.

So, our narrator clearly isn't omniscient. Is it a character? And if so, who? (If so, I'd guess one of the immortals, probably Pandora or Voltair. Jerry would work too, if he wasn't dead.)

I wonder if Aberrations get to choose what their monster form will look like ahead of time? That's a really fuzzy and cuddly-looking "vampire" there...

I love the effect as Susan summons her sword, and the look of that Aberration burning.

And speaking of effects...

Yay for starburst background in panel 2! Yay for... wait, the starburst in panel 3 isn't a background, it's actually overlaid over the Aberration - I guess it must be the light from the Fairy Doll exploding? Does that mean the starburst in panel 4 is actually light from the fire? Oh well, whatever, yay for starbursts in panels 3 and 4!

...I'm starting to get the impression Dan really loves starbursts...

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Is it just me, or does today's vampire remind you of the Wish Dragon from The Neverending Story? Fur and that wide doggie nose...

Not really; the nose is a little too wide and the fur too dark. What it reminds me of is those Chinese dragon puppet/costumes.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I loved the Dorsai stories. Thing is, it isn't just in fiction that we are sometimes cool with high body counts. There are people or creatures we despise so much that we consider it extermination rather than killing when they get dropped. I will not give specifics but there are certain political ideologies where I do not believe the world is left any poorer if their adherents die.

In addition, it's generally considered okay to kill enemy combatants in war (assuming the method used is not unnecessarily inhumane and they haven't surrendered first). And sometimes (particularly in fiction but to an extent in real life) the same principles are applied to any combat even if it has nothing to do with war.

27 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

So, our narrator clearly isn't omniscient. Is it a character? And if so, who? (If so, I'd guess one of the immortals, probably Pandora or Voltair. Jerry would work too, if he wasn't dead.)

I was wondering that too.  I think it might be Jerry in the form of information handed down to Zeus, since Jerry was there for the creation of Susan's Hair Bank O'Power.

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Mrs. Dorsai and I have been listening to the Outlander series of books as read by  Davina Porter. Right now,  a very young character is bragging about how his granda has killed two dozen redcoats., pretty that won't be the final accounting.  Nevertheless, his granda is a good guy, and one of the major characters in the series. Susan's body count is two, with more likely coming. It's funny what we'll accept in fiction.

True, but in both situations, the bodies in question were vampires who were threatening grievous harm or death.  Susan was also strongly affected by the first time; this was a loss of innocence for her and she would not be comfortable if someone bragged about her body count.  I think this is part of why she has tears in her eyes; killing isn't something she wants to do, but feel she has to do to protect innocent lives.

If vampires could be saved, exorcised of their evil, and someone told Susan that, I could see her working to figure out less lethal ways to stop them, because she is a good person at heart.

52 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Yeah, me too, the problem is being certain. Jamie (the hero of the Outlander books, has good reasons for his extra-legal killings, and while I'm listening to the books (we've been doing a lot of long-distance driving, lately) it doesn't bother me. It's only afterwards, when I'm thinking about it, that the mass of corpses (to be fair, most of them were trying to commit murder or worse just before they assumed room temp.) seems oppressive.

I kind of get that. This is when the story is lying on the border of the real rather than being, say, high fantasy. When Legolas and Gimli competes for highest bodycount at Helm's Deep, it is played for laughs. When WW2 soldiers are fighting a desperate rearguard battle against attacking enemies, the mounting casualties grow horrific.

10 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think this is part of why she has tears in her eyes; killing isn't something she wants to do, but feel she has to do to protect innocent lives.

This is not unheard of. At TVTropes, it is called berserker tears. I am not actually linking it as I would rather not be responsible for luring innocent forumgoers into that dreaded black hole of time consumption.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

This is not unheard of. At TVTropes, it is called berserker tears. I am not actually linking it as I would rather not be responsible for luring innocent forumgoers into that dreaded black hole of time consumption.

As someone who had to frequent TVTropes for a pretty good reason, I am not holding anyone back to not visit it.

Nanase 2? Abraca-boogaloo? The better kind? :demonicduck:

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Given how many new beams Ellen has acquired, even with Ellen being born of magic and thus learning it more quickly, it does seem like Susan should have more new spells, too.

Hmm, does that mean they can start turning on each other right away?

Susan aberration kill count to date = 2 :D

Girls who have kissed Sarah count = 3  (still)

Did anybody besides me notice that the sword Susan used survived its encounter with the bearded snake-vampire?

I think the narration is a bit of book-learning left by Jerry to his next life now using the working title of "Zeus."

47 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Did anybody besides me notice that the sword Susan used survived its encounter with the bearded snake-vampire?

I think the narration is a bit of book-learning left by Jerry to his next life now using the working title of "Zeus."

I noticed that.  I figured it was part of her upgraded sword summons, the glowing one she unintentionally showed Ellen and Nanase, but then I started to wonder, is that a new spell or do spells upgrade and reveal new parts?

Also, is it just me, or is the first panel really disturbing.  I mean, I have seen more graphic stuff in comics/graphic novels and I am not usually squeamish, but there is something about the person running crying, she/he looks so much like Catalina, and the emotion is so visceral.  This person fears for their life, and the silly looking vampire might actually kill this person, bonus be danged.  Despite how silly the vampire looks, this scene really got to me emotionally; I felt horrified.  Perhaps its also how ... nice... the Moperverse usually seems to be, as well.  So of course I can imagine Susan's rage at this intrusion of horror into her world and her cleaving the monster was very satisfying.

Bottom line, very effective, but I am glad that something like this is usually not the norm.

2 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

I noticed that.  I figured it was part of her upgraded sword summons, the glowing one she unintentionally showed Ellen and Nanase, but then I started to wonder, is that a new spell or do spells upgrade and reveal new parts?

magic does seem willing to upgrade spells.  Nanase's fairydoll spell did not start with its "fae punch" sub-spell but added it later.

I didn't have your reaction but I wouldn't want you to feel like "it's just you."  in any bad way. 

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, does that mean they can start turning on each other right away?

Yeah, though once they see the level of challenge they're up against (two capable hunters + another potential hunter + Immortal support) some of them might try to work together in some fashion just to survive (though they might try to backstab each other if doing so would increase their chances of survival)

29 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
41 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

magic does seem willing to upgrade spells.  Nanase's fairydoll spell did not start with its "fae punch" sub-spell but added it later.

I didn't have your reaction but I wouldn't want you to feel like "it's just you."  in any bad way. 

Nanase's fairydoll spell also upgraded so she can have different outfits.

And while I didn't have a reaction like that either, it's certainly a reasonable reaction.

So, when you bottom line it, Susan's hair functions like Tedd's gauntlet? Storing magic and then giving it to her in one burst to give her a power boost?

Narrator is the Egyptian "God of Magic" guy.

Magic weapons only unsummon when they take a big enough hit.  Probably the stronger she gets, the stronger they get.