• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
animalia

The Complete Idiot's Guide To The Middle East Conflict

I have a book in the Idiot's Guide series dealing with the Middle East Conflict and I been given permission to share the Prologue with you all (The Prologue as 13 sections) as that doesn't go any further than the 10th century C.E. The book itself was published in 2014. I figure we can take it step by step and discus things.

Prologue

The modern conflicts in the Middle East are rooted in the region's ancient past, a span of history that would require many volumes to narrate comprehensively. By way of prologue, we can only sketch the centuries of context in which the conflict has developed. you can find a more complete discussion of this period, beginning in prehistoric times and ending with the close of the tenth century C.E., online at idiotsguide.com/mideast

Yeah sorry about that awkward start to the prologue. I promise the next section is more interesting (at least I think so) if anyone is interested in joining me. As I share my copy of my book with you. No promises as to how far in we can go. That depends on good behavior of the community and the mod's good grace put like I said I have till the end of the prologue promised which means at least 12 more sections. And if things go well we MAY be able to continue emphasize on may.

8 hours ago, animalia said:

I have a book

Are you the Author, the Editor, a Contributor, or the Publisher?

This discussion could be interesting.  But perhaps a comic-centric forum isn't the best place for an extended analysis of this matter.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

This seems like it would be a rather risky topic to open up, even within the Politics thread.  I suggest not posting any more until The Old Hack makes a ruling.

The Moderator: Animalia very kindly took the matter up with me first and we shared several messages discussing the matter before I issued tentative approval. I am watching the thread but have nothing against it in principle as long as modern politics do not start to take over. I also have some liking for learning more of matters I did not know much about before.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This discussion could be interesting.  But perhaps a comic-centric forum isn't the best place for an extended analysis of this matter.

This is the off-topic forum. One could argue that a discussion of what one had most recently eaten did not belong on a comic-centric forum either. That is in fact what the off topic forum is for.

9 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

An intellectual-property lawyer might have something to say on the matter as well - unless you're the author...

This is actually my greatest concern. Perhaps paraphrase would be better suited, with full credit to the creators of the document. That might even encourage readers to buy the original, which hopefully the author would not object too strenuously to.

Well I won't scan any pictures and leave out all of extra stuff if that helps and if we get cease and desist of course I will cease and desist. I can give hints as to what KIND of extra stuff the book offers as an incentive to buy it when we come to those sections as I do want to help encourage people to buy it. In the meantime.

this is still part of the prologue by the way

Prehistory

In a high school textbook published in 1914, Professor James H. Breasted of The University of Chicago coined the phrase Fertile Crescent to define a region of western Asia and northeastern Africa in which many of the earliest civilizations rose. The phrase caught on to encompass the ancient lands of Mesopotamia-the territory between and adjacent to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Some authorities extend the region to include ancient Assyria, to the north of Mesopotamia; Phoenicia, west of Assyria and Mesopotamia and fronting, on the east, the Mediterranean Sea; and Egypt, along the lower reaches of the Nile. Today, the Modern nations of Iraq, Syria Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, and the Palestinian territories, together with extreme southeastern Turkey and the western fringes of Kuwait and Iran, occupy this historical region.

Often called the "cradle of civilization," the region is an origin-not always the unique origin-of some of the earliest examples of the wheel, irrigation, glass, writing, and law as well as many religions and (as far as we can tell) the idea of monotheistic religion, the faith in a single god.

23 minutes ago, animalia said:

In a high school published in 1914,

"Always proofread to make sure you don't any words out."  In other words, I didn't think high schools were published.  Could you please check the text and clarify?

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

"Always proofread to make sure you don't any words out."  In other words, I didn't think high schools were published.  Could you please check the text and clarify?

fixed

On 12/11/2017 at 8:02 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

BACON JAM BACON JAM BACON JAM

Well THAT was random. Even as a response to what the old hack says it sounds less like a list of what you ate, and more like you just keep repeating two random words.

4 hours ago, animalia said:

Well THAT was random. Even as a response to what the old hack says it sounds less like a list of what you ate, and more like you just keep repeating two random words.

The Prof intended no harm. He was merely gently ribbing me in response to the dart I aimed at the good people who delight in discussing food on these forums. ^_^

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The Prof intended no harm. He was merely gently ribbing me in response to the dart I aimed at the good people who delight in discussing food on these forums. ^_^

Mmmm...ribs....

:demonicduck:

I'm sorry, carry on.

16 minutes ago, animalia said:

Team Four Star refernce?

I don't think so? I thought I was just making a joke about the ribbing and food stuff. But I don't want to derail this further.

Sorry for waiting so log before posting again I was hoping to give more time discussion. Anyways without further ado...

Cradle Of Civilization

About 4500 B.C.E., Sumer arose on territory that is part of Modern Iraq. It is presumptuous to say that civilization began with Sumer, but it is accurate to trace the longest continuous line of civilization from those ancient people. About 2340 B.C.E., Sargon the Great,  ruler of Akkad, invaded Sumer, his neighbor to the south, creating the first empire of Mesopotamia, the heart of what we call the Middle East.

Like many ancient rulers, Sargon proved far better at conquest than at sustainable government. Within about two centuries, rule in the Akkadian Empire broke down, and the realm created by conquest in turn fell prey to conquest when, about 1760 B.C.E., Hammurabi-the "Sun of Babylon"-saw that Sumer and Akkad were ripe for plucking. Babylon, the city-state Hammurabi ruled, now became the center of Babylonia, a new empire encompassing all of southern Mesopotamia and, along the Euphrates, extending well into the north.

Hammurabi created the first enduring set of laws, the so-called Code of Hammurabi,covering many aspects of human behavior in society, ranging from rules of trade and commerce to criminal matters. Among the most enduring principles in the code is the concept know in Latin as lex talionis, the "law of retaliation," a principle the authors of the Old Testament book of Leviticus (24:19-20) called "eye for eye, tooth for tooth." Lex talionis has been influential throughout civilization, but it remains particularly durable in many cultures of the Middle East and some have seen in it a trigger of the present-day conflict in the region