• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story, Wednesday December 13, 2017

Has anyone pointed out yet that it was really stupid of Sirleck to void these bonuses if the related objectives aren't met with 100% perfection? There's absolutely no reason for the muppets  to work together now that one of them has been killed.

(At least no reason they'd consider valid.)

6 minutes ago, detrius said:

Has anyone pointed out yet that it was really stupid of Sirleck to void these bonuses if the related objectives aren't met with 100% perfection? There's absolutely no reason for the muppets  to work together now that one of them has been killed.

(At least no reason they'd consider valid.)

I don't think Sirleck actually cared. That provision was there for one reason and one reason only: to keep them from infighting until the show started. He never actually expected to pay it and would likely have been disappointed if it had worked.

1 minute ago, detrius said:

Aegis-fang?

Mjolnir? o.o

Let's not forget that there were three vampires headed for the food court.

1 minute ago, detrius said:

Has anyone pointed out yet that it was really stupid of Sirleck to void these bonuses if the related objectives aren't met with 100% perfection?

Like Sirleck actually expected all of them to survive. In fact, if none of them survive, none of them can tell who hired them. And it kind of sounds like Sirleck hasn't paid any of them yet.

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So, the vampire with hidden face believes he can take Adrian alone?

He told Big Mouth he had magic. Apparently he thinks he has enough. Of course, he might not know he's taking on an elf wizard with at least three centuries of experience, trained by an Immortal mother for who knows how long.

10 minutes ago, Stature said:

Could be better, had the hammer be gone back like a boomerang.

Why? It's easier to conjure another than to catch the one returning back.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I don't think Sirleck actually cared. That provision was there for one reason and one reason only: to keep them from infighting until the show started. He never actually expected to pay it and would likely have been disappointed if it had worked.

Well, he DID hoped they will actually kill Adrian ... but he likes his money and might not believe vampires will be able to work together effectively anyway.

5 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Like Sirleck actually expected all of them to survive. In fact, if none of them survive, none of them can tell who hired them.

As if anybody would try to interrogate vampire.

5 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He told Big Mouth he had magic. Apparently he thinks he has enough. Of course, he might not know he's taking on an elf wizard with at least three centuries of experience, trained by an Immortal mother for who knows how long.

Probably at least three centuries. I think Pandora is sure she taught him everything she can.

4 minutes ago, detrius said:

Does Mjolnir return to the hand of its wielder in the original mythology?

Then he gave the hammer to Thor, and said that Thor might smite as hard as he desired, whatsoever might be before him, and the hammer would not fail; and if he threw it at anything, it would never miss, and never fly so far as not to return to his hand; and if be desired, he might keep it in his sark, it was so small; but indeed it was a flaw in the hammer that the fore-haft was somewhat short. (Original: Þá gaf hann Þór hamarinn ok sagði, at hann myndi mega ljósta svá stórt sem hann vildi, hvat sem fyrir væri, at eigi myndi hamarrinn bila, ok ef hann yrpi honum til, þá myndi hann aldri missa ok aldri fljúga svá langt, at eigi myndi hann sækja heim hönd, ok ef þat vildi, þá var hann svá lítill, at hafa mátti serk sér. En þat var lýi á, ar forskeftit var heldr skammt.)

— The Prose Edda, translated by Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur (1916).

9 minutes ago, detrius said:

I think Thor was supposed to use special gloves called Greipner, because the hammer is white-hot when it returns--after all, it's basically a bolt of lightning.

Susan has at least one upgrade to the Hammers.
But I wonder.  Is it possible that the only thing that kept them from being thrown weapons before is that Susan didn't try throwing them at targets?  We know she could juggle them.

As for "Sheila"?  I have never heard that word used to describe women outside TV and the Outback steak house.
And I still don't think the "Bloomin' Onion" is actually a native Australian flower, but that's another rant.  One best served with a pungent sauce.

3 hours ago, detrius said:

Good luck with that.  My Boomerang won't come back.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Let's not forget that there were three vampires headed for the food court.

Case of the hangries.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why? It's easier to conjure another than to catch the one returning back.

Motif? º3º

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Wait after 460 or so strips? :demonicduck:

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, had Susan throwable stun hammers before it became her spell or is that upgrade? (And Nase armed again ...)

Jerry read in Susan's spellbook that her hammer spell let her "summon various stun hammers at will" I can only assume that a throwable version is part of the "various".

And yes, it looks like there isn't much of a cooldown period between unsummoning and resummoning fairies, though maybe her being supercharged at the moment helps?

Susan isn't in the mood to just let Mr. Koala run away.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Mjolnir? o.o

I would think Mjolnir would be more than a simple stun hammer, though it would be quite stunning to get hit by it.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think Mr. Scarf is less focused on raw power than on skill and subterfuge. He made it sound like he doesn't have a lot of magic (and all the aberrations should have magic as they need magic to become an aberration) and was called weakling by Big Mouth. Mr. Scarf could be hiding his magical potential, but that feeds into the subterfuge angle.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Susan has at least one upgrade to the Hammers.
But I wonder.  Is it possible that the only thing that kept them from being thrown weapons before is that Susan didn't try throwing them at targets?  We know she could juggle them.

As for "Sheila"?  I have never heard that word used to describe women outside TV and the Outback steak house.
And I still don't think the "Bloomin' Onion" is actually a native Australian flower, but that's another rant.  One best served with a pungent sauce.

I, for one, am happy to see the stun hammers again, but throwing stun hammers?  Sweet!  Could be an upgrade, could just be that she read threw her spellbook and realized it was an option.  Wait juggling hammers?  Was there an instance after this one where she juggled three hammers using her spell?  Just wondering if the hammer spell from the artifact might have different options than Susan's spell.  Of course, since she was a master hammer user before she got her spell, I can see her trying to figure out and master her version as well.

As for the use of "Sheila", I think Dan has bought himself plausible deniability with the commentary mention that our "Aussie" vampire has never, in fact, been to Australia.  ;)

50 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I would think Mjolnir would be more than a simple stun hammer, though it would be quite stunning to get hit by it.

Well, wait for Susan to go through some upgrades to her spell, and perhaps she'll get closer to Mjolnir.  ;)

51 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I think Mr. Scarf is less focused on raw power than on skill and subterfuge. He made it sound like he doesn't have a lot of magic (and all the aberrations should have magic as they need magic to become an aberration) and was called weakling by Big Mouth. Mr. Scarf could be hiding his magical potential, but that feeds into the subterfuge angle

Argh, a smart villain.  Yeah, he was definitely already shaping up to be the one to watch out for.  He seems to have opted for a more low key aspect of Aberration-hood, and also seems more concerned with tactics and evaluating his enemy.  I am concerned as to how his monsterness will manifest, given how calmly he threatened the big beast aberration.  He is disdainful of fancy magic; he could have something more straightforward but potentially very dangerous, stealth and speed for example.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Obélix of Astérix fame once made a spear come back when he threw it. Admittedly he did that by throwing it so hard that it orbited the planet and came back from the other direction. I am not sure if that should count.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

My vote is overconfident.

You'll have to get it out, then.

Yay for starbursts of thwacking in panel six!

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, had Susan throwable stun hammers before it became her spell or is that upgrade? (And Nase armed again ...)

I don't remember seeing thrown hammers before. My guess is it's an upgrade.

...By the way, any opinions on what Koala means by "the face"? Is he complaining Susan hurt his face? Commenting that her face looks familiar? Cursing someone who goes by the alias "The Face"?

We do have confirmation here that Susan can use more than one magically summoned weapon at once.  She still has the sword, and was able to summon and use a throwing hammer.  Being able to summon and use a fairy at the same time means she's got a pretty good arsenal for one magic-user, let alone summoning multiple fairies at once!

49 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

By the way, any opinions on what Koala means by "the face"? Is he complaining Susan hurt his face? Commenting that her face looks familiar?

The first is plausible since he got hammered in the face and is holding his cheek (and isn't that the wimpiest behavior you've ever seen in a vampire?). But put it together with his first-panel thought about the the actual target approaching...?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

By the way, any opinions on what Koala means by "the face"? Is he complaining Susan hurt his face? Commenting that her face looks familiar?

The first is plausible since he got hammered in the face and is holding his cheek (and isn't that the wimpiest behavior you've ever seen in a vampire?). But put it together with his first-panel thought about the the actual target approaching...?

Or perhaps the Aberrations have started referring to Diane as "Face", as in "I hope one of the others gets you and the Face."  What?  It could be a nickname.

2 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Or perhaps the Aberrations have started referring to Diane as "Face", as in "I hope one of the others gets you and the Face."  What?  It could be a nickname.

Doubtful because Diane has exactly the same face as Susan, so Diane could hardly be the Face.

One problem with Dan writing most dialog in all-caps is unless he repeats a word in his commentary we don't know if it's supposed to be capitalized, as nicknames should be.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We do have confirmation here that Susan can use more than one magically summoned weapon at once.  She still has the sword, and was able to summon and use a throwing hammer.  Being able to summon and use a fairy at the same time means she's got a pretty good arsenal for one magic-user, let alone summoning multiple fairies at once!

All three are separate spells though, she's not using the same summon spell for the sword and hammer.

Though considering the origins of Nase, I would speculate that while it can be a separate spell now, it could still have the same summoning mechanics. Or it really did turn out that Susan could summon custom fairies without the need for Nanase to have made dolls for her.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Doubtful because Diane has exactly the same face as Susan, so Diane could hardly be the Face.

One problem with Dan writing most dialog in all-caps is unless he repeats a word in his commentary we don't know if it's supposed to be capitalized, as nicknames should be.

Well, if they saw Diane she could be the Face and then, surprised by Susan almost identical appearance, she could be the Other Face.  ;)

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

All three are separate spells though, she's not using the same summon spell for the sword and hammer.

Though considering the origins of Nase, I would speculate that while it can be a separate spell now, it could still have the same summoning mechanics. Or it really did turn out that Susan could summon custom fairies without the need for Nanase to have made dolls for her.

Wow, upgraded Fairy Summon Spell allowing for custom fairies.  Now I am imagining little Nase with a sword and armor, little Susan swinging double hammers, and muscle-y little Grace ready to punch someone out.