• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story, Wednesday December 13, 2017

4 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Wow, upgraded Fairy Summon Spell allowing for custom fairies.  Now I am imagining little Nase with a sword and armor, little Susan swinging double hammers, and muscle-y little Grace ready to punch someone out.

I dunno if they're that customizable. Though there might be the potential of the fairies becoming like mini-Foxes that can cast a some spells.

14 hours ago, detrius said:

Has anyone pointed out yet that it was really stupid of Sirleck to void these bonuses if the related objectives aren't met with 100% perfection? There's absolutely no reason for the muppets  to work together now that one of them has been killed.

(At least no reason they'd consider valid.)

Self preservation against dangerous foes?

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I don't think Sirleck actually cared. That provision was there for one reason and one reason only: to keep them from infighting until the show started. He never actually expected to pay it and would likely have been disappointed if it had worked.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2191

I think he was expecting to pay it.

8 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Well, wait for Susan to go through some upgrades to her spell, and perhaps she'll get closer to Mjolnir.  ;)

Argh, a smart villain.  Yeah, he was definitely already shaping up to be the one to watch out for.  He seems to have opted for a more low key aspect of Aberration-hood, and also seems more concerned with tactics and evaluating his enemy.  I am concerned as to how his monsterness will manifest, given how calmly he threatened the big beast aberration.  He is disdainful of fancy magic; he could have something more straightforward but potentially very dangerous, stealth and speed for example.

The smart ones are always the most dangerous.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:
16 hours ago, detrius said:

Has anyone pointed out yet that it was really stupid of Sirleck to void these bonuses if the related objectives aren't met with 100% perfection? There's absolutely no reason for the muppets  to work together now that one of them has been killed.

(At least no reason they'd consider valid.)

For self preservation, they might pull back and let the more gun-ho aberrations wear the hunters and target down. Or simply not care about the well-being of other aberrations to pay attention to when they need help, so they don't know the others are in trouble until the hunters have downed them..

So do you think any of the vampires caught Pandora popping in? I'm assuming Scarf Guy was close enough to keep an eye on the real target, so just maybe the sight of an Immortal with the half-immortal might have suggested a new strategy, such as running away without telling any of the other vampires, since occupying the hunters with killing the others could be helpful in facilitating his safe withdrawal.

11 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

any opinions on what Koala means by "the face"?

I think the dropbear tried to continue his planned statement involving "I hope one of the others gets you and..." when he wound up proving Mike Tyson's observation, "Everyone has a plan, 'til they get punched in the mouth."  At that point, he could only comment on the pain.

Had it been Dr Zachary Smith getting hit, the comment would have been "Oh, the pain".

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

when he wound up proving Mike Tyson's observation,

I feel Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the better observer. At the very least his observations are more cosmic in scope.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Had it been Dr Zachary Smith getting hit, the comment would have been "Oh, the pain".

He is prone to painfully astute comments?

18 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I, for one, am happy to see the stun hammers again, but throwing stun hammers?  Sweet!  Could be an upgrade, could just be that she read threw her spellbook and realized it was an option.  Wait juggling hammers?  Was there an instance after this one where she juggled three hammers using her spell?  Just wondering if the hammer spell from the artifact might have different options than Susan's spell.  Of course, since she was a master hammer user before she got her spell, I can see her trying to figure out and master her version as well.

There may be differences between original hammers and her hammer spells, but I suspect her hammer spell was MORE versatile from start and not only because she can use such hammers on anyone for any reason.

19 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I would think Mjolnir would be more than a simple stun hammer, though it would be quite stunning to get hit by it.

Well, wait for Susan to go through some upgrades to her spell, and perhaps she'll get closer to Mjolnir.  ;)

Would be nice idea.

Argh, a smart villain.  Yeah, he was definitely already shaping up to be the one to watch out for.  He seems to have opted for a more low key aspect of Aberration-hood, and also seems more concerned with tactics and evaluating his enemy.  I am concerned as to how his monsterness will manifest, given how calmly he threatened the big beast aberration.  He is disdainful of fancy magic; he could have something more straightforward but potentially very dangerous, stealth and speed for example.

He might have more magic than it seems.

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
20 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Good luck with that.  My Boomerang won't come back.

Obélix of Astérix fame once made a spear come back when he threw it. Admittedly he did that by throwing it so hard that it orbited the planet and came back from the other direction. I am not sure if that should count.

It probably shouldn't but I wouldn't tell that to Obelix.

15 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We do have confirmation here that Susan can use more than one magically summoned weapon at once.  She still has the sword, and was able to summon and use a throwing hammer.  Being able to summon and use a fairy at the same time means she's got a pretty good arsenal for one magic-user, let alone summoning multiple fairies at once!

Each of them is different spell, but yes, it's still pretty good arsenal. AND she may be able to summon more fairies AND more weapons at once as well.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

By the way, any opinions on what Koala means by "the face"? Is he complaining Susan hurt his face? Commenting that her face looks familiar?

The first is plausible since he got hammered in the face and is holding his cheek (and isn't that the wimpiest behavior you've ever seen in a vampire?). But put it together with his first-panel thought about the the actual target approaching...?

Hmmm ... that would be possible ...

10 hours ago, partner555 said:
On 12/13/2017 at 10:00 AM, The Old Hack said:

I don't think Sirleck actually cared. That provision was there for one reason and one reason only: to keep them from infighting until the show started. He never actually expected to pay it and would likely have been disappointed if it had worked.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2191

The basic price, yes. Likely already paid part of it in advance. The bonus, likely not.

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:
10 hours ago, partner555 said:

For self preservation, they might pull back and let the more gun-ho aberrations wear the hunters and target down. Or simply not care about the well-being of other aberrations to pay attention to when they need help, so they don't know the others are in trouble until the hunters have downed them..

Sounds likely.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So do you think any of the vampires caught Pandora popping in? I'm assuming Scarf Guy was close enough to keep an eye on the real target, so just maybe the sight of an Immortal with the half-immortal might have suggested a new strategy, such as running away without telling any of the other vampires, since occupying the hunters with killing the others could be helpful in facilitating his safe withdrawal.

They presumably are informed their target is half-immortal and even if not explicitly informed about the immortal being around, they could assume that. And they are unlikely to be able to see how powerful Pandora is. Now, if they notice there are FOUR immortals around ... or if Pandora switched to her monster form ...

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He is prone to painfully astute comments?

That and insulting the Robot.  Here is truly a grand list of the epithets has slung at our long-suffering automaton, also known as Class B-9-M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot.

Of course right about now, with the aberrations attacking, the Robot would be saying, "Danger, Will..." but you get the picture.

Eek, imagining Dr. Smith as a Vampire.  Kind of weird.  Right now, let me say that I am so glad that Dan's version of the "vampire" is both so varied, but also something only that the person can do; they have to be willing to give up their humanity.  I admit, there is a certain horror in a vampire turning his victims, but I always thought at the least it should be hard to do, the possibility of a vampire plague seemed to likely with various versions of vampires.

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
14 hours ago, partner555 said:

He might have expected a possible need to pay it. I still don't think he cared.

I agree.  I think he would have smiled if any vampire hunters were killed, and the child of an immortal, but he would have been happy to see all of the vampires he hired dead as well (less competition in the long run and less money), but honestly, his main goal is simply distraction while he and Magus do their thing.  Also, I think so that Sirleck can accomplish his true objective, somehow backstabbing Magus, taking his body, and escaping in the chaos.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... or if Pandora switched to her monster form ...

That brings to mind, or at least to my mind, this question: Can Pandora show her Chaos form to anyone on the physical plane?

Using Edward, Dan set down these basic rules about Immortals back in Hidden Genesis in the second flashback to the time when Magus first came to the Moperverse.

1. We can't see or hear Immortals on the spirit plane.
  2. Immortals can see and here us from the spirit plane.
  3. Immortals have godlike powers on the spiritual plane.
  4. Immortals are weaker on the physical plane.
  5. Any one "of us" would have favored odds in a fight against an Immortal. "Us" would include at least Edward, Wolf, and Cranium. Perhaps even Lavender.

Dan wrote out those rules ten years ago, but concerning Pandora he seems to have held to them. From what Dan has shown us, within the Moperverse, Pandora's Chaos form has only been seen by two other beings: Magus and Jerry/Zeus, and always on the spiritual plane, and only when Pandora wanted them to see. The only direct attack Pandora has made was the one on Magus when he refused to make Edward kill Abraham.

That doesn't mean Pandora or any other Immortal can't attack a mortal on the material plane; there would be no need for those "only guide and empower" rules if they couldn't do anything else. Vampires apparently fall under the same protections, which is why I've been saying that what Voltaire may be playing for is to provoke Pandora into attacking a vampire directly--say, a vampire attacking her son.

Happily, those rules don't prohibit Pandora from tearing Voltaire to shreds, and her Chaos form would be just dandy for that.

9 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I admit, there is a certain horror in a vampire turning his victims, but I always thought at the least it should be hard to do, the possibility of a vampire plague seemed to likely with various versions of vampires.

The main problem with infectious vampire is that the more horror-inducing it is, the less likely is that it wouldn't already happen. Real infections with high mortality and infection rate sounds dangerous, but are not as common because the high mortality actually LIMITS spread of infection. Vampire infection wouldn't share this problem and would require really good reasons to explain how it's possible it didn't spread all over world already. Extreme cases are versions of vampires with rules which would basically FORCE total conversion of human race in few months, if not days, but author forgot to do the math ...

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That brings to mind, or at least to my mind, this question: Can Pandora show her Chaos form to anyone on the physical plane?

While not monster form directly, Pandora DID shown shapeshifting on physical plane. It's true that it was established immortals are weaker on physical plane, but we don't know how much - and Edward was NOT talking about immortals who are way over their expiration date.

there would be no need for those "only guide and empower" rules if they couldn't do anything else

Note that SHOWING the monster form can't be counted as attack.

Happily, those rules don't prohibit Pandora from tearing Voltaire to shreds, and her Chaos form would be just dandy for that.

Yeah. Looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Using Edward, Dan set down these basic rules about Immortals back in Hidden Genesis in the second flashback to the time when Magus first came to the Moperverse.

5. Any one "of us" would have favored odds in a fight against an Immortal. "Us" would include at least Edward, Wolf, and Cranium. Perhaps even Lavender.

Dan wrote out those rules ten years ago, but concerning Pandora he seems to have held to them. From what Dan has shown us, within the Moperverse, Pandora's Chaos form has only been seen by two other beings: Magus and Jerry/Zeus, and always on the spiritual plane, and only when Pandora wanted them to see. The only direct attack Pandora has made was the one on Magus when he refused to make Edward kill Abraham.

That doesn't mean Pandora or any other Immortal can't attack a mortal on the material plane; there would be no need for those "only guide and empower" rules if they couldn't do anything else. Vampires apparently fall under the same protections, which is why I've been saying that what Voltaire may be playing for is to provoke Pandora into attacking a vampire directly--say, a vampire attacking her son.

Well... Edward might be right about your average Immortal, but I doubt there has been a lot of them going so far beyond their Best Before date as Pandora. So while it's possible she is weak on the physical plane we don't know how weak. There might not be much of a difference between her and say Jerry just before he started his death process, or she could be several times as strong. Only thing certain is that we don't know right now.

Anyone who knows the Harry Dresden novels may remember the scene where an ancient trove of knowledge in the body of a gradeschooler, when put into a circumstance where magic power was very, very limited, was able to continue to fight with magic against multiple enemies through sheer efficiency.  She could make the most of what little she had to an awesome degree.  I suspect Pandora might be similar, not so much more powerful as knowing how to do what she wants more easily and requiring less power to do it.

22 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I feel Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the better observer. At the very least his observations are more cosmic in scope

For any quote involving astrophysics?  Absolutely.

For any quote involving getting hit in the mouth?  I'll go with Mike Tyson.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Mike didn't get hit anywhere that much. However, I do accept Mike Tyson as the authority on ear biting.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Anyone who knows the Harry Dresden novels may remember the scene where an ancient trove of knowledge in the body of a gradeschooler, when put into a circumstance where magic power was very, very limited, was able to continue to fight with magic against multiple enemies through sheer efficiency.  She could make the most of what little she had to an awesome degree.  I suspect Pandora might be similar, not so much more powerful as knowing how to do what she wants more easily and requiring less power to do it.

She may be more effective, however note that Jerry said "our [Immortals] power grows each passing year". Also, technically, we still don't have confirmed immortals use magic - although they probably do.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, technically, we still don't have confirmed immortals use magic - although they probably do.

Since we now know that all human wizards have immortal ancestors, and since we know that immortals can grant magical powers to humans, it does seem pretty clear they can use magic.

41 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Since we now know that all human wizards have immortal ancestors, and since we know that immortals can grant magical powers to humans, it does seem pretty clear they can use magic.

Which now begs the question: Who was the first immortal? Will Dan even divulge on it?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Tom Sewell said:

She probably can use her Chaos form on the physical plane, as it's simply an extreme expression of her shapeshifting ability and she can do that on the physical plane, but then she would have to deal with physical plane things like bumping into objects, air pressure, and gravity (somewhat, as she can float, but the large, oddly-shaped, roiling form might make floating less balanced and more unwieldy in the presence of gravity)Also her Chaos form with rather frightening and monstrous looking, which isn't too helpful for the situations in which she's appeared on the physical plane.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

For any quote involving astrophysics?  Absolutely.

Mike didn't get hit anywhere that much. However, I do accept Mike Tyson as the authority on ear biting.

But he did spend a lot of time observing how people reacted to being hit in the mouth, and that from up close. I'm sure he saw many who stepped into the ring with a plan on how to win, but ended up quickly formulating a new plan called survive!

The ear munching was an example of Mike getting frustrated when his opponent repeatedly refused to follow the plan and kept hitting Mike in the mouth. New plan was called "Hit me one more time and I'll chew your ear off". Though unconventional and unexpected it wasn't particularly successful in the long run.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

She probably can use her Chaos form on the physical plane, as it's simply an extreme expression of her shapeshifting ability and she can do that on the physical plane, but then she would have to deal with physical plane things like bumping into objects, air pressure, and gravity (somewhat, as she can float, but the large, oddly-shaped, roiling form might make floating less balanced and more unwieldy in the presence of gravity)

I don't think gravity would be problem. In fact, even bumping into objects in constrained space as the mall might not be an issue. Come to think about it, just because the immortal is visible on physical plane doesn't mean she's actually solid.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Also her Chaos form with rather frightening and monstrous looking, which isn't too helpful for the situations in which she's appeared on the physical plane.

It wouldn't be helpful in any of the situations before, but in case she would like to stop escaping vampire, it might be appropriate.