• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday December 15, 2017

Wait, so Susan did NOT get any fencing lessons? Illogical.

Also, Raven decided to run towards the vampires without any weapons and without casting spells. What would he do if one would attack him before - or WHILE - he's talking with Susan?

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait, so Susan did NOT get any fencing lessons? Illogical.

Also, Raven decided to run towards the vampires without any weapons and without casting spells. What would he do if one would attack him before - or WHILE - he's talking with Susan?

We'll find out if one does.

She never had a need to use a sword, just hammers, hence the lack of Western Martial Arts training.  And she would need WMA training, not fencing to learn to use a long sword.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

SHE'S TOUCHING HIM!

I think she's more worried about other things than holding someone else's hand.

I was kinda right in that Adrian would show up for this Vampire, though it didn't happen the way I said, and of course he didn't bring his cane, but I guess we'll get to see how long Susan's sword lasts for sure now.

Also, did Adrian guess at Susan's awareness of him? Or did he already pass Diane who mentioned it? Grace was pretty vague about who saw him that day and I'm not sure if Adrian knows that Grace, Nanase, Ellen and Justin are friends with Susan.

Susan is obviously good with hammers; much more practice. How long the sword will last in Adrian's hands is another question. Since the original idea was to arm Nanase, maybe one good hit. I kind of think Susan's hair is helping supercharge her sword now. I wouldn't be surprised if it stops glowing as soon as she hands it off, or if it vanishes immediately and Susan has to summon it again.

There's another factor here. Remember from back in Hammerchlorians that Susan has a couple of swords. Also a bat and a crowbar. And, now, five dolls (Nase, Susan, Tedd, Updated Nanase, and Grace).

That said, does anyone really think Jerry/Zeus is going to keep Diane from running toward Susan?

Which brings to my mind something that Voltaire said: He told Ashley at the mall that she could walk right through him. Why would he do that? I don't doubt it was for his own perverse pleasure, but there might have been more behind it. If Immortals are supposed to only empower and guide humans, maybe physically restraining Ashley would have made Voltaire break the law and force him to reset. Jerry/Zeus may be under that restriction, or at least think he might be.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which brings to my mind something that Voltaire said: He told Ashley at the mall that she could walk right through him. Why would he do that? I don't doubt it was for his own perverse pleasure, but there might have been more behind it. If Immortals are supposed to only empower and guide humans, maybe physically restraining Ashley would have made Voltaire break the law and force him to reset. Jerry/Zeus may be under that restriction, or at least think he might be.

It makes sense, An Immortal can guide someone to go somewhere, but they can't physically move them against their will. Zeus would need to convince Diane to leave.

Okay, Susan and Adrian meeting.  There are so many things about this scene that bring on the feels and deliver the bad-ass at once.

And granted, I am a little disappointed to learn that Susan hasn't already taken sword lessons, but that would be more than made up for if in the future Adrian becomes her teacher.

Also, why does Susan summon little Nase.  Why not little Susan?  She went to the trouble to make a Susan doll, but it seems like she is more used to summoning little Nase.  Or perhaps subconsciously she thinks of little Nase as a fighter since Nanase is.

7 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Also, why does Susan summon little Nase.  Why not little Susan?  She went to the trouble to make a Susan doll, but it seems like she is more used to summoning little Nase.  Or perhaps subconsciously she thinks of little Nase as a fighter since Nanase is.

Arguable. Possibly little Nase is the only fairy that explodes. But in his commentary Dan talks about Nase being an extra pair of eyes, so I kind of think that's what Dan has most in mind in this comic, at least.

If we see little Nase using a fairy punch later, Susan's probably a full wizard now, able to learn other people's spells.

Say, where's the Friday cliffhanger here? Perhaps it's in Susan's reactions in the last three panels.  Does she notice something about Adrian Raven now she didn't quite see in their first encounter? Perhaps the natural way Adrian helped her up triggered some memory? Susan accepting that helping hand without question might provide some indication.

Just now, Tuscahoma said:

And granted, I am a little disappointed to learn that Susan hasn't already taken sword lessons, but that would be more than made up for if in the future Adrian becomes her teacher.

I can understand why Susan never took sword lessons, well there are probably numerous reasons.

1) No one in Moperville trains in the usage of long swords, at best as some state, only Fencing, which isn't the same. Closest thing might be to join an SCA group but dunno how that would work.

2) Some suggest that she should have no problem getting training because she's rich, but Susan might not want her mom to pay for everything, Susan has a job, I'm certain that Susan bought her car with her own money from her job, so if she wanting to get professionally trained, she'd probably pay for it herself, but she might not have the time to invest between work and school.

3)She probably wanted to forget the whole vampire incident and didn't believe she'd ever have to deal with that sort of thing again, we know she didn't want to look at her spellbook after her awakening, she probably didn't want to use a sword until the goo fight. My guess is she kept swords in her summoning chest more as a deterrent if someone tried to mess with her.

4)She might not have wanted her mom to suspect anything happened to her in France, it'd probably be concerning if your daughter came back from a school trip requesting to take swordfighting classes, even if the excuse is that they were told about Joan of Arc.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, I wish him good luck with that. >.<

I never said he had a chance of succeeding. ;)

Yay for starburst of super-jumping in panel two!

Boo for starburst-outline of tripping and falling in panel three. (Well, it's the tripping and falling I object to more than the special effect. That looks painful. I'm also a bit surprised to see it happen to Susan even if she was swinging a sword around with no idea what she was doing.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also, did Adrian guess at Susan's awareness of him? Or did he already pass Diane who mentioned it? Grace was pretty vague about who saw him that day and I'm not sure if Adrian knows that Grace, Nanase, Ellen and Justin are friends with Susan.

At first I was sure someone must have mentioned it before on panel, but then Dan didn't provide any reference links. My current suspicion is that Pandora told Raven after the end of the last comic we saw them in.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Say, where's the Friday cliffhanger here? Perhaps it's in Susan's reactions in the last three panels.  Does she notice something about Adrian Raven now she didn't quite see in their first encounter? Perhaps the natural way Adrian helped her up triggered some memory?

Dan has always written for the archives. I'm pretty sure every "Friday Cliffhanger" has just been a cliffhanger that happened to fall on a Friday, and would have been written exactly the same if it had happened to fall on another day of the week.

That said, I am curious to know if Raven looks like Susan's father.

Will this encounter play out like the plan for the Paris incident?  Susan swinging hammers and summoning swords for the "real" fighter?

Of course, the Paris incident ended with Susan killing le jerk du jour.  This time, Susan has one confirmed kill before the real fighter even shows up.

This will not be a good day to be a vampire.

Susan likely hasn't had sword training (or any formal martial training for that matter) due to the pain of the trauma she experienced in France. As Scotty pointed out, Susan didn't even want to look at her spellbook after awakening due to the pain and memories. She probably kept the swords and other weapons as a "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" type of precaution, but actually seeking out someone to teach her how to fight would have been more than she would be comfortable with. She might have been hoping powerful abilities and innate human instinct to be enough. It doesn't take a lot of skill to use a sword, it just takes a lot of skill to use a sword well.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

While I agree that Immortals likely can't physically restrain humans, Voltaire might have also done that to try to psyche Ashley out for his own amusement and to slow her down.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He probably didn't bring his sword cane to the mall (He wasn't expecting to have to fight at the mall, much less to fight vampires), and while he certainly has more spells, the only offensive spell we've seen him cast is murder shroud, which would risk hitting Susan if he attacked the Koala Vampire with it.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

I suspect it's a mix of "the default setting" of the spell, which would give Nase and the fact that she does think of calling Nanase when there is fighting to be done.

Personally, I'm hoping the wide eyes Susan has right after Adrian speaks to her for the first time (in his true form) aren't because she recognizes his voice. Thought that's mainly becuase I don't want him to be her jerk of a father. :P I'd more prefer her reaction being due to hearing somene say they know how to use a sword (I'd sure have a surprised moment under the same circumstances) and actually seeing him as he really is for the first time. 

That being said, her stun hammer doesn't stun for very long, does it? That or Koala man can shrug it off relatively easily (higher magic resistance and all that).

30 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

That being said, her stun hammer doesn't stun for very long, does it?

In a serious fight, even a couple of seconds or three can make all the difference. If Susan had had more experience with a blade, she could just have stabbed him in that moment he needed to recover. Sure, big dramatic swings like the one she beheaded the first aberration with look cool, but they take time and effort you can't always spare. In comparison a stab is faster to execute, won't bring your blade as far out of line and it may quite often be lethal in its own right.