• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday December 15, 2017

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

By the time she gets to the part where her history teacher is using a magic sword to fight monsters in the mall food court,  Edward will have the Governor calling in the National Guard.  And he will probably alert the President to have a tactical nuke standing by in case any of them seem to be getting away.

Edward might do that if he was still in charge. Arthur J. Arthur wouldn't, since a few civilian casualties are acceptable in the service of the greater goal.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Perhaps the nuclear strike against the alien UFO in 'Independence Day' was a bit better reasoned. Too bad it didn't work.

Actually it did work, at least after Jeff Goldblum hacked the alien shield generators with an iBook. Maybe you were thinking about Mars Attacks or George Pal's War of the Worlds, two alien invasion movies where a nuke is used and doesn't do any  good.

And now for something completely different. Or at least not another comment on a comment.

The title of Part 22 is Apocalypse, and while Dan has given Susan and Diane some revelations, there's not been much of a general audience yet. In this comic, we have shadowy figures in the first panel running away on Susan's level, and in the last panel, shadowy figures on the lower level running more or less toward Susan. And no one with a cell phone yet. To fit the title, we should have huge revelation here, either on a personal level for Susan and Diane and maybe Adrian Raven, or the big revelation of magic that's supposed to trigger The Change. I'm betting on the personal level at least for now. Not a large bet; one or maybe two cookies. One reason is that Apocalypse, at least up until now, is happening before the end of Part 21, The Other Dunkel. Sirleck was at the end of Dunkel that Adrian was already dead. And Sirleck's orders to destroy property to deliberately make a scene sound like they would bring on the incident that Arthur J. Arthur is hoping for. But there's no evidence that The Change has happened at the end of Part 21.

So what's next? Ending Part 22 at this point seems like a cheat to me, but maybe not to Dan. Cutting away to another viewpoint maybe? Would be nice if we checked in on Nanase; she's got to have discovered the inhuman voyeur was a hoax by now, unless Sirleck actually set up something at the college. Even if she can't get to the Mall very soon, she probably could send her fairy unless Dan decides to impose a range limit. As someone else pointed out (not going to break my train of thought to look it up) Diane should have Edward's number in her phone. Phone shutdown like on New Year's Eve? Maybe, but that wouldn't mesh well with the order to cause publid destruction. Possibly Scarf Guy is smart enough to think about that, but could do it? Much of his magic would it take to do it?

As for any mall cops, they've probably ducked into the nearest Starbucks by now. 

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually it did work, at least after Jeff Goldblum hacked the alien shield generators with an iBook.

Nope. I was talking about that scene earlier in the movie where the direct nuclear strike against the UFO shield failed. As for the nuke deployed inside the mothership, it could not possibly have exploded with enough force to take it out the way it did. The mothership was stated to have a mass equivalent to that of one eighth of the moon. The biggest nuke ever designed by man would barely have made a dent in that monster. No, I see two and only two possibilities. One, the nuke managed to take out the antimatter reactor or whatever that served to propel the mothership, and the secondary explosion destroyed it. Or two, when the nuke went off, it also took out the mothership's entire store of Coca-Cola, and faced with a future without Coca-Cola the captain took the only option that made sense and instantly hit the self-destruct button.

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe you were thinking about Mars Attacks or George Pal's War of the Worlds, two alien invasion movies where a nuke is used and doesn't do any  good.

Nope, though they are good examples of the same trope, I have to say.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The mothership was stated to have a mass equivalent to that of one eighth of the moon.

Yes, which means it would have been massive enough to alter the orbits of both the moon and the Earth, and even a small fraction of it falling to Earth would have done more damage than the Didnosaur Killer. Michael Bay don't do math or science.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, which means it would have been massive enough to alter the orbits of both the moon and the Earth, and even a small fraction of it falling to Earth would have done more damage than the Didnosaur Killer. Michael Bay don't do math or science.

Err, no he doesn't, but it was Roland Emmerich who did this particular turkey, not Bay.

8 hours ago, K^2 said:

She's looking at someone who moments ago looked to be in their sixties or seventies now looking barely older than she is. As much transformation as has been going around, that ought to take a moment to process. That this is Raven's actual form. The fact that he's an elf, and a dashing one at that, can only increase the duration of that necessary moment.

Besides, half-immortals cannot have children.

Some of us (myself included) believe that the big revelation here is that human magic users are all descended from Immortals - which of course requires that Raven (and by extension Pandora) was misinformed. ("Box's" conversation with Sarah about her son provides more evidence for this theory.)

That said, I don't think Raven is Susan's father - he doesn't seem the sort to cheat. (Also, unless Pompoms is Susan's mother's maiden name, and Susan adopted it after the divorce, Susan's last name would probably be Raven in that scenario.) I do however suspect Raven is both Susan and Diane's ancestor (and possibly not all that far back if their identical looks isn't a result of them being half-sisters). If it was on Susan's father's side, he and Raven might even look similar - which would tie into Susan's current shock.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This seems to be the 'helpful' reaction of many an overly trigger happy fictional high command. The Council in 'Avengers Assemble' that ordered a nuclear strike on New York City. In 'The Swarm', the US government's quite reasonable reaction when hearing of a swarm of killer bees on the loose is to order a full nuclear strike on Texas. In 'Monsters vs. Aliens', President Colbert almost orders a nuclear strike on San Francisco to stop a marauding alien robot.

Perhaps the nuclear strike against the alien UFO in 'Independence Day' was a bit better reasoned. Too bad it didn't work.

Nuclear weapons never seem to work when they're really needed in the movies.

Except in the Alien series for some reason... I mean, sometimes a single Xenomorph will escape from the blast zone along with the main characters, but if there's a whole lot of them around the rest will be incinerated. Then again, the Xenomorphs are a lot like ninja - alone they're nearly invincible, but in large numbers they're much more vulnerable.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

As far as we (or HER) know, there is no phone jamming in operation now. She doesn't need to run to try to call.

No, but she does need to stay out of the fight to make the call.  Which might mean a strategic withdrawl far enough away to make getting pulled into it, hit by flying monsters or debris, or spotted by aberrations as a "baby hunter" and attacked less likely.

Diane had to be told to withdraw from not-Tengu, and she had the presence of mind to stall the Spider Vampire. She is not going to leave as long as Susan is in danger. But unless she's under attack herself, she can call someone, either Nanase or Edward.

I got something backwards earlier today. It's in the first panel that the shadowy figures on the lower level are running more or less towards Susan, and the last panel where the shadowy figures on Susan's level are running.

Since we're at the mall, I'm taking the opportunity to assert that the Moperville Mall is probably inspired mostly by the Fox Valley Mall in Aurora Illinois, which is right next to Naperville, Illinois. It has a food court, an atrium design, and most specifically railings on the upper level walkways that look a lot like the railings in this comic.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane had to be told to withdraw from not-Tengu, and she had the presence of mind to stall the Spider Vampire. She is not going to leave as long as Susan is in danger. But unless she's under attack herself, she can call someone, either Nanase or Edward.

Hmm, I think we're in agreement in general here....

16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wasn't thinking she'd just run away home and forget about Susan, but she won't charge into the fray immediately.  My guess would be, she'll call (or try to call) Mr. Verres's number first, and then try to keep out of the fighters' way while also trying to help out with shouts and soccer balls if and when they might be helpful.  The problem for her will come when one or more of the aberrations notice that's what she's doing....

Yup, looks like it.  Again, in order to make any calls, she'll have to stay out of the direct fighting, especially given that the Aberrations would probably consider a "baby hunter" to be fair game under the terms of their contract.  She's smart (and genre-savvy) enough to know that someone untrained like her would be more of a hindrance than a help if she got into the fighting, and she'll avoid it as long as she can, but I'm pretty sure she'll stay within sight to be able to give more warning shouts or provide a distraction if it comes down to needing one desperately enough.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The title of Part 22 is Apocalypse, and while Dan has given Susan and Diane some revelations, there's not been much of a general audience yet. In this comic, we have shadowy figures in the first panel running away on Susan's level, and in the last panel, shadowy figures on the lower level running more or less toward Susan. And no one with a cell phone yet. To fit the title, we should have huge revelation here, either on a personal level for Susan and Diane and maybe Adrian Raven, or the big revelation of magic that's supposed to trigger The Change. I'm betting on the personal level at least for now. Not a large bet; one or maybe two cookies. One reason is that Apocalypse, at least up until now, is happening before the end of Part 21, The Other Dunkel. Sirleck was at the end of Dunkel that Adrian was already dead. And Sirleck's orders to destroy property to deliberately make a scene sound like they would bring on the incident that Arthur J. Arthur is hoping for. But there's no evidence that The Change has happened at the end of Part 21.

The Apocalypse could easily happen in three phases. Phase 22, the event will happen. Phase 24, the inevitable information about event happen. Phase 26, magic reset happens. It's not like the reset happens immediately.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So what's next? Ending Part 22 at this point seems like a cheat to me, but maybe not to Dan. Cutting away to another viewpoint maybe? Would be nice if we checked in on Nanase; she's got to have discovered the inhuman voyeur was a hoax by now, unless Sirleck actually set up something at the college.

IMHO Nanase is still driving there. Sure we can switch the viewpoints, but Nanase would be finding out that the voyeur was hoax WHILE Ashley was sleeping.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Even if she can't get to the Mall very soon, she probably could send her fairy unless Dan decides to impose a range limit.

Why would she be sending fairy to Mall? She's going to check on Ellen, but Ellen is not nor is supposed to be in Mall. And she can't send fairy to the car because she wasn't on that part of the road yet and I don't think it counts that she was in the car before.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The biggest nuke ever designed by man would barely have made a dent in that monster. No, I see two and only two possibilities. One, the nuke managed to take out the antimatter reactor or whatever that served to propel the mothership, and the secondary explosion destroyed it.

Almost. The nuke managed to take out the control center, which caused all computers on ship to explode, just as consoles in Star Trek.

Or maybe it was that virus which took out the antimatter reactor.

Or wait: the virus rewired the controls. They pressed the button for re-routing command to different control center and it started autodestruction.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

That said, I don't think Raven is Susan's father - he doesn't seem the sort to cheat. (Also, unless Pompoms is Susan's mother's maiden name, and Susan adopted it after the divorce, Susan's last name would probably be Raven in that scenario.) I do however suspect Raven is both Susan and Diane's ancestor (and possibly not all that far back if their identical looks isn't a result of them being half-sisters). If it was on Susan's father's side, he and Raven might even look similar - which would tie into Susan's current shock.

I still think Susan's father - who is NOT Raven, but his son or grandson - being the sort to cheat is Diane's father as well. The "looking similar" can obviously still happen in that scenario. Or SOUNDS similar - their voices might be similar enough to make Susan pause, because she got wide-eyed BEFORE she look at Adrian.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
20 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wasn't thinking she'd just run away home and forget about Susan, but she won't charge into the fray immediately.  My guess would be, she'll call (or try to call) Mr. Verres's number first, and then try to keep out of the fighters' way while also trying to help out with shouts and soccer balls if and when they might be helpful.  The problem for her will come when one or more of the aberrations notice that's what she's doing....

Yup, looks like it.  Again, in order to make any calls, she'll have to stay out of the direct fighting, especially given that the Aberrations would probably consider a "baby hunter" to be fair game under the terms of their contract.  She's smart (and genre-savvy) enough to know that someone untrained like her would be more of a hindrance than a help if she got into the fighting, and she'll avoid it as long as she can, but I'm pretty sure she'll stay within sight to be able to give more warning shouts or provide a distraction if it comes down to needing one desperately enough.

What she should do is to remain in general area but move so she has back to wall. Maybe even TWO walls - as in, standing in corner - however that might be risky if some vampire notices her so maybe single wall is better.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Almost. The nuke managed to take out the control center, which caused all computers on ship to explode, just as consoles in Star Trek.

Goldarn high-explosive computers. I guess when they get advanced enough it doesn't take much to set them off. *eyes computer nervously, backs slowly away*

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or wait: the virus rewired the controls. They pressed the button for re-routing command to different control center and it started autodestruction.

Well yes, also possible, but in that case they didn't really need the nuke anymore. *scratches head*

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Why would she be sending fairy to Mall? She's going to check on Ellen, but Ellen is not nor is supposed to be in Mall.

Nanase would be sending a fairy to the mall after Diane calls her, or after she hears about something happening at the mall.

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

IMHO Nanase is still driving there. Sure we can switch the viewpoints, but Nanase would be finding out that the voyeur was hoax WHILE Ashley was sleeping.

IMHO, probably not. Sirleck zapped Elliot at the end of Part 20, which happened just a few moments before the beginning of Part 22. Sirleck told Nanase to meet Ellen at the college "around six" and that's when I think Elliot got zapped, while Nanase would be as far away as Sirleck could manage to put her. If I'm right, about right now Nanase would be calling around. Ashley won't wake up for until she's way out in the boonies.

Going back to the story Sirleck sold to Nanase, "Ellen" told Nanase she'd seen something on Charlotte's forum about an inhuman voyeur at the college. That's either a mistake on Sirleck's part, or a slip on Dan's part. That happened when they were still at school, probably no later than about 3:30. So Nanase isn't going to check Charlotte's forum before going to the college? Well, if not-Tengu can post on Charlotte's forum, Sirleck or maybe even Magus can post there too. So, we are to believe that neither Charlotte nor Nanase would have called each other about that yet?

41 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Goldarn high-explosive computers. I guess when they get advanced enough it doesn't take much to set them off. *eyes computer nervously, backs slowly away*

Don't worry, it's unlikely your computer is that much advanced :)

41 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well yes, also possible, but in that case they didn't really need the nuke anymore. *scratches head*

Hindsight 20-20. They didn't KNEW that the virus would do that. In fact, they still don't, they have no more information than we have so they can just speculate just as we do.

38 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Why would she be sending fairy to Mall? She's going to check on Ellen, but Ellen is not nor is supposed to be in Mall.

Nanase would be sending a fairy to the mall after Diane calls her, or after she hears about something happening at the mall.

In that case yes obviously (and I don't think anyone could inform her faster than Diane ... maybe except Edward after Diane calls Edward). She MIGHT be more inclined to send fairy after Diane than Susan considering what happened first time :), even if we don't count the whole "better not distract her just now" angle.

40 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Sirleck zapped Elliot at the end of Part 20, which happened just a few moments before the beginning of Part 22.

"Not a long ago" is more than "just a few moments".

42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Sirleck told Nanase to meet Ellen at the college "around six" and that's when I think Elliot got zapped, while Nanase would be as far away as Sirleck could manage to put her. If I'm right, about right now Nanase would be calling around.

Ideal timing would be if Nanase started looking for Ellen JUST after Elliot is taken care of, but better have some reserve. I would think if everything went according to plan, Elliot got zapped around 17:50.

At the same time, immortals needs to be distracted when Sirleck will be using Ellen to zap Elliot. I think the attack of vampires was supposed to start no later than 17:30, with the expectation that they will keep immortals occupied at least half hour. Of course, how fast Susan got first vampire was not expected.

I would think it's around 17:40 now. Elliot will get zapped after 10 minutes, then Ashley put to sleep, then say 5 minutes to put clothes on Ashley and get her into car, another 5 minutes before Nanase arrives, she would then think she's there early and would wait at least 5 minutes before trying to contact Ellen ... possibly WHILE checking the forum ...

50 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Going back to the story Sirleck sold to Nanase, "Ellen" told Nanase she'd seen something on Charlotte's forum about an inhuman voyeur at the college. That's either a mistake on Sirleck's part, or a slip on Dan's part. That happened when they were still at school, probably no later than about 3:30. So Nanase isn't going to check Charlotte's forum before going to the college? Well, if not-Tengu can post on Charlotte's forum, Sirleck or maybe even Magus can post there too. So, we are to believe that neither Charlotte nor Nanase would have called each other about that yet?

Magus likely not, but Sirleck without problems. Just because it's in college doesn't mean Charlotte would expect to be aware: it's entirely possible Nanase DID called Charlotte, OR Charlotte called Nanase, it just wasn't in comics because it's not plot relevant: Charlotte just said she doesn't know more than what's on forum and that she will be there at six as well. It's also possible that Nanase assumed Ellen already did care of that and didn't called nor checked the forum, and it's possible Charlotte noticed it on forum but didn't considered it investigation-worthy before confirmation.

In short, there are all sort of ways the story may work ... but on Sirleck's place, I WOULD make the post on forum just in case.

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wizards are traditionally vulnerable by physical combat, but the same is usually not true with non-human magic users like dragons. The r- ... t- ... Dragon Nobilis ones I mean.

Warning! Topic drift:

This was one thing that I found very entertaining when I started playing Gurps way back. In every system I'd seen Wizards and magic users in general tended to be some what undeveloped physically. In Gurps they looked like body builders. Reason was that casting spells cost fatigue, and fatigue was based on strength. So the magical powerhouse was quite likely to be built like Andre the Giant...

Some gentle tweaking got that under control, but it was funny the first time we played and the wizard humiliated the fighters in strength based games.

This was using the Basic rules 2nd or 3rd edition. Never read fourth edition so I don't know if they changed that.

5 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Never read fourth edition so I don't know if they changed that.

They did. Fatigue in 4ed GURPS is based on HT, not ST. And Hit Points are now based on ST. This was already an optional rule in the first Compendium. However, the curves for buying attributes are gone; ST and HT are 10 points a level, DX and IQ 20 points a level. The standard player character now starts out at 150 Character Points, instead of 150.

This also means that giant spellcasters like Mordag the giant vampire need lots more points to build. (ref: "Mordag's Little Finger" in Fantasy Adventures)

29 minutes ago, showler said:

All I really want to see right now is Diane's reaction to young Raven.

I don't think Raven has time for a chat right now, what with five vampires to deal with. However, she might be meeting his mother soon.

I've found yet another small point to obsess about, and I'm sure the rest of you are celebrating to hear the good news. The point is why Susan is on the upper level now. Until I looked up the Fox Valley mall in Aurora IL last night, I was picturing the Moperville Mall more or less like the mall right across the street from me. It even has a Round 1 next to the Sears. But it isn't built on flat ground, and it finally occurred to me that there aren't an awful lot of hills between between Cincinnatti (which prides itself on being built on seven hills) and western Colorado. All the ground level entrances in the Fox Creek Mall are on the same level inside. They aren't in the Eastridge Mall across the street from me, and they aren't in quite a few malls I've visited over my four or five accumulated decades in California.

Anyway, whether or not Dan has put some hills in Moperville, it appears that Diane and Susan entered the mall on the lower level, were still on the lower level when they met Adrian Raven, and no railings indicating an upper level appeared until this Monday's comic. So which level is the food court on? That is, did Susan have to go to the upper level to get to the first vampire? Did Adrian have to go to the upper level? And, if vampires have been sighted on the upper level, why are people running on the lower level?

Possibly Scarf Guy remained on the lower level where Adrian was while Koala Guy, Snake Guy, and three vampires to be named later went to the upper level to occupy the vampire hunters and create a distraction. But Scarf Guy may not have seen Pandora with Adrian, and instead of finding Adrian on the lower level as he expected, Adrian was already on the upper level headed for the food court.

This could work out in several ways. Scarf Guy may still be able to get to Adrian while he's occupied slaying the other four vampires, in which case he either succeeds, or fails. If he fails, he dies, of course; if he succeeds, he dies a very short time later. Or, the option which his Wednesday flashback implied: Running away if it looks like the other vampires didn't give him enough chance to survive and collect his reward. That's the key to financial transactions between vampires.

Anyway, whether or not Dan has put some hills in Moperville, it appears that Diane and Susan entered the mall on the lower level, were still on the lower level when they met Adrian Raven

Actually, Adrian might already be at upper level. If you look behind Adrian on four panel here, there seems to be something which is tilted there ... and I think it would be escalator. Although it might be just weird angle. Or it may be escalator leading to underground parking.

On the other hand, they were only choosing WHERE to go here. Why would they go to the upper level before deciding where to go? You know, maybe they were STILL on first level when Jerry warned them and Susan ran UP to kill the vampire.

Possibly Scarf Guy remained on the lower level where Adrian was while Koala Guy, Snake Guy, and three vampires to be named later went to the upper level to occupy the vampire hunters and create a distraction. But Scarf Guy may not have seen Pandora with Adrian, and instead of finding Adrian on the lower level as he expected, Adrian was already on the upper level headed for the food court.

Even not counting the two levels, malls may have multiple ways between two places. It is possible Scarf Guy missed Adrian ...

... especially considering the high probability that Dan doesn't actually use map of any real or fictional mall and is just using the background in way he  considers to look well and makes up shops position and distances to match the story. Because frankly, this looks like more than two levels.

This could work out in several ways. Scarf Guy may still be able to get to Adrian while he's occupied slaying the other four vampires, in which case he either succeeds, or fails. If he fails, he dies, of course; if he succeeds, he dies a very short time later. Or, the option which his Wednesday flashback implied: Running away if it looks like the other vampires didn't give him enough chance to survive and collect his reward. That's the key to financial transactions between vampires.

Well, if he does the mistake of assuming Susan wouldn't be able to summon second weapon after giving one to Adrian ...

On 12/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, The Old Hack said:

Hmm, good thing I'm still using a laptop from 2007 as my at-home computer.  This iPad probably doesn't have enough space for very many explosives.  Although that might explain why so many iPhones and iPads have cracked screens, if there's a tiny bit of explosives that go off when it's dropped a few inches or looked at funny....

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, good thing I'm still using a laptop from 2007 as my at-home computer.  This iPad probably doesn't have enough space for very many explosives.  Although that might explain why so many iPhones and iPads have cracked screens, if there's a tiny bit of explosives that go off when it's dropped a few inches or looked at funny....

Leather slipcases. I swear by them. Got one on both my phone and my iPad. Dropped both of them more than once, not even a scratch on the screen.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Leather slipcases. I swear by them.

Is that really sufficient or do you actually need to put the phone inside them? :)

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, good thing I'm still using a laptop from 2007 as my at-home computer.  This iPad probably doesn't have enough space for very many explosives.

Actually, lithium-ion batteries can be explosive (at least in the sense of spewing fire everywhere, I don't think they create much explosive force) if they are punctured, crushed, overheated, overcharged, or abused in some other ways...