• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Friday Dec 15, 2017

I'm guessing Susan would not have been happy to wind up with Princess Sally's classic outfit. EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, Susan probably would have hated Minnie Mouse's classic outfit even more...

So, according to the commentary, Dan considered "only fur" but rejected it because it was too warm in the house for long fur. I'm a little disappointed, but oh well, it's his comic. Susan still looks pretty cool like that - and the larger hands are a nice touch.

Oh, and yay for starburst background in panel 2!

Edited by ChronosCat

This just screams... tacky, really. The gloves would actually do this justice, or any reasonable facsimile.

The ditziness seems gone, though. No mannerisms here.

"How I am even talking with this mounth?" - well, magic, obviously.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm guessing Susan would not have been happy to wind up with Princess Sally's classic outfit. EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, Susan probably would have hated Minnie Mouse's classic outfit even more...

Lot of cartoon characters, including Daisy Duck if we are speaking about classic, are not wearing ANYTHING below the waist. Unless it's one of modern cartoons where the fur is actually pants and they have shorts with images underneath.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So, according to the commentary, Dan considered "only fur" but rejected it because it was too warm in the house for long fur.

That and "multiple comics of that".

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sandals might be more appropriate with a bikini.  But socks and sandals are a scandal.

I heard that to. Why?

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wonder if the swimsuit being such a skimpy one is also because of stereotypes about ditziness?

No, it's probably looking always same no matter what other cards are in effect.

5 hours ago, Stature said:

The floofy hair was because of Ditzy, but Hanma said that the mental changes were like Secret Identities in that they can kinda turn it off. Dan's commentary states that Susan wouldn't normally allow herself to talk like that but if she became comfortable or distracted the effect would be less subdued. The first panel with Susan's "Erhem!" could indicate her focusing back on subduing the effect mentally. We'll probably see it creeping in again before the Ditzy effect gets replaced.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I heard that to. Why?

Dunno why, it just seems to be one of those things where society decided that wearing socks with sandals is the worst thing a person can do in fashion.

Just now, hkmaly said:

No, it's probably looking always same no matter what other cards are in effect.

In Susan's case, if she didn't use Furry, the Fox form would have been much like the Squirrel form, in that she'd only have the ears and tail and still be wearing the default tank top and shorts, if Susan didn't use the Fox form, Furry would have made her Squirrel form more squirrelly and likely have the same collar+bikini=socks and shoes.

I do wonder what would happen if someone used the Furry card without an animal form though?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Dunno why, it just seems to be one of those things where society decided that wearing socks with Crocs is the worst thing a person can do in fashion.

First thing comes to mind: a very uncle-y/neighbor-y look. Especially a Los Angeles/Miami Beach vibe. Cannot exactly picture rn what the real intended stereotype is of. *shrug*

Also, ftfu, although sandals still has some gravity.

21 hours ago, Stature said:

As far as physical mannerisms go, her focus is on examining herself; I doubt a "ditz" would act much differently. As far as speech patterns go, it could be like Scotty said that Susan is actually focusing on resisting the card right now... Or it could just be that Dan couldn't fit the gratuitous "likes" and such into the space he had available.

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Lot of cartoon characters, including Daisy Duck if we are speaking about classic, are not wearing ANYTHING below the waist. Unless it's one of modern cartoons where the fur is actually pants and they have shorts with images underneath.

That and "multiple comics of that".

That's why I mentioned Sally to start - in season one of "Sonic the Hedgehog" (the 90s Saturday morning series, AKA "SatAM") and the early Archie Sonic comics the only thing she wore was a pair of boots. In the second season they added an open vest to her ensemble; this would be her default look in the comics for 17 years.

On the other hand, given Susan's opinion of skirts (and presumably other feminine or "girly" clothing) I suspect that if given the choice between PG furry nudity and wearing Minnie Mouse's polka-dotted skirt and high heels, she'd go with the furry nudity...

As for "multiple comics of that", apparently Dan's okay with doing one or two drawings of a fur-clad character, but not a whole bunch? It's probably the main reason ("too hot for long fur" is a pretty lame excuse, considering Catalina was just wearing a parka) but I don't get it.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:
16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But socks and sandals are a scandal.

I heard that to. Why?

Because it doesn't look good? At least, I don't like how they look together (particularly white socks; some other colors aren't as bad).

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I do wonder what would happen if someone used the Furry card without an animal form though?

In the previous strip's commentary, Dan said:

if combined with an animal card, it makes the player a more furry version of that animal card. If they don't have an animal card on them, it's just the other parts of the outfit.

So if Susan hadn't had an animal form, she would have wound up in the collar, bikini, socks and sneakers, without any fur.

(As I said in the previous comic's thread, I find that a little disappointing; I don't see why we couldn't have a person with fur but an otherwise standard human body.)

18 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

In the previous strip's commentary, Dan said:

if combined with an animal card, it makes the player a more furry version of that animal card. If they don't have an animal card on them, it's just the other parts of the outfit.

So if Susan hadn't had an animal form, she would have wound up in the collar, bikini, socks and sneakers, without any fur.

(As I said in the previous comic's thread, I find that a little disappointing; I don't see why we couldn't have a person with fur but an otherwise standard human body.)

Oh, I missed that, sorry.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's why I mentioned Sally to start - in season one of "Sonic the Hedgehog" (the 90s Saturday morning series, AKA "SatAM") and the early Archie Sonic comics the only thing she wore was a pair of boots. In the second season they added an open vest to her ensemble; this would be her default look in the comics for 17 years.

Yes.

On the other hand, given Susan's opinion of skirts (and presumably other feminine or "girly" clothing) I suspect that if given the choice between PG furry nudity and wearing Minnie Mouse's polka-dotted skirt and high heels, she'd go with the furry nudity...

I don't think so. Although ... maybe we would get another the emotions and views involved are conflicting from her on that ... like, it might be hard choice for her to make.

As for "multiple comics of that", apparently Dan's okay with doing one or two drawings of a fur-clad character, but not a whole bunch? It's probably the main reason ("too hot for long fur" is a pretty lame excuse, considering Catalina was just wearing a parka) but I don't get it.

Maybe those fur-clad characters take him more time or require greater effort in selecting correct angle?

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:
20 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But socks and sandals are a scandal.

I heard that to. Why?

Because it doesn't look good? At least, I don't like how they look together (particularly white socks; some other colors aren't as bad).

Well I would understand why not white socks, but I rarely wear white sock in other shoes either. However, the "sock and sandals are a scandal" sounds disproportionate compared to "sock and sandals require bigger effort in color coordination".

14 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:
23 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If she must wear socks, I am grateful that she is wearing closed toe shoes with them.

Sandals might be more appropriate with a bikini.  But socks and sandals are a scandal.

I heard that to. Why?

Dunno why, it just seems to be one of those things where society decided that wearing socks with sandals is the worst thing a person can do in fashion.

Makes me wanna suit up in biker leathers and sandals with socks just to see who feels like pointing out just how daft that combo is to the 250 lbs bearded biker... But it's below freezing outside so I won't, today...

Well, Dan is playing the secret word game in the rant... I think the secret word starts with a D, perhaps one that's a weird hybrid of upper- and lower-case...

11 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Well, Dan is playing the secret word game in the rant... I think the secret word starts with a D, perhaps one that's a weird hybrid of upper- and lower-case...

Secret word? ... Sh Aio Icccdb Twrsec GJt ... sl ern rereyn leoetm nnt ... Swb A IbaeaaT TwIba Gsb ... SAITG ... lnnmt ... no, I can't find it.

Just now, WR...S said:

I know he was having a Snickers moment, but secret word? I don't see it.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Secret word? ... Sh Aio Icccdb Twrsec GJt ... sl ern rereyn leoetm nnt ... Swb A IbaeaaT TwIba Gsb ... SAITG ... lnnmt ... no, I can't find it.

Maybe it's Welsh?

On 12/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, hkmaly said:

Maybe those fur-clad characters take him more time or require greater effort in selecting correct angle?

It should actually take less time to draw a furry character without clothing than a furry character with clothing - at least so long as he doesn't put too much detail into the fur. Of course if he was planning on making them as shaggy as the werewolves in Sarah's fantasies during the card tournament and he insisted on doing shading to match, that might have been a bit more time consuming.

I suppose posing/camera angle could be an issue too, though he hasn't seemed too concerned about that on furry characters in the past.