• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Monday, December 18, 2017

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

Pandora's correct response right now: "I'll answer that later, when you and Adrian have time for me to explain some things."

But then there would be no wacky hijinks punctuated by sheer terror... sitcom vampire battles!

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm still hoping Rhoda's at the mall so we can see at least one vampire get downsized.

Susan already downsized one.

By about a head.

I'm presuming Adrian is on his way toward a vampire he can see. Too bad he didn't stick around long enough to learn that Susan can use her fairies to scout ahead. It's the vampires he doesn't see that will be the real problem.

Yeah, definitely related.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:
14 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

Last panel, do susan and pandora share the same nose, eyes, and hair line? Or is it just Dan's admitted "limited artistic range in this style"?

I just pointed that out on Discord, also while their hairstyle and colour are different (Pandora's more of a dirty blonde) their hair lengths are very close, also worth noting, they both use hair ties. ;)

With the angle used, it MIGHT be deliberate ...

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wild theory maybe, but considering what Pandora said to Sarah, what if the whole "Huge evidence, right in front of me, right there!" comment was more than just a passing "they seem familiar" moment for Pandora? Like rather than the other woman with Susan's face being another offspring of Adrian, it was actually Pandora?  Pandora could have done a number of questionable things  during fits of boredom, would causing married men to be unfaithful be one of them? Or maybe setting up someone to be exposed as being unfaithful and then getting out the popcorn to watch the fireworks afterwards? She could have broken up her own grandson's family and not even realized it until a couple days ago(comic time).

Wouldn't she, in this case, focused on that poor married men instead of Adrian Raven? Also, I think Pandora would actually consider that cheating on Blaike and wouldn't do it because of that.

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
13 hours ago, detrius said:

Pandora: "Susan, I am your grandmother!"

Susan: "NOOO!!  That's not true, that's impossible!"

1) Pandora: "Search your feelings, Susan, you know it to be true."

Susan: "Okay, you pass, you're nerdy enough to be family."

OR

2) Pandora: "Oh, dear, Susan!  Please don't be upset!"

Susan: "How dare you survive to this age and not get that reference!"

Totally 1. Pandora wasn't in stone, she lived most of that time. She saw Star Wars at least ten times. Despite already knowing how Return of the Jedi will end when she saw A New Hope first time. Heck, that doesn't even need soo much prescience.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Quite realistic, actually, but it's been long established that Susan has an incredible memory for details and incredible aptitude for putting them together to deduce things (something she shares with Sherlock Diane). Think about how little time it took her to figure out Bad Tom. It could turn out to be a case of Dan deciding to go another way years later. But having Susan's Dad and the Other Woman With Susan's Face both being descendants of Adrian seems to be about the least icky alternative while still being plausible.

Yes.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

As for appearance carrying over many generations, well, because magic. Nanase's family has been choosing spouses with an eye to preserving their magical powers.

Adrian is very old. All of the human magic-using human characters we've seen in EGS could be his descendants if Dan decides they are.

IMHO no. Adrian is very old but IMHO not old enough for Nanase being his descendant, considering as far as we know he wasn't in Asia.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So, Part 23, Yet Another Dunkel?

Adrian did live as a German for awhile...

Meanwhile, Adrian really DID lived in Germany ... but Dunkels may not have any hereditary magic powers, just what they got by training.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

The irony here is Pandora might have thought she was serving justice, but unknowingly destroyed her son's family and her grandson's family.

She was crying in front of Sarah, but I would say if it would be THAT bad she would be even more devastated.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
9 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Sort of like how someone might have a self-critical voice in their head.

Susan already has four self-critical voices. Any more and she'll need a second head like Zaphod Beeblebrox.

It wasn't FIFTH voice. It was her nurture, one of those four.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Pandora's correct response right now: "I'll answer that later, when you and Adrian have time for me to explain some things."

Yes. And I hope Pandora can focus on the battle enough to realize she can't start explaining now. It would be very bad if Adrian would get hurt (or killed) just because he overhears something at bad moment.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm presuming Adrian is on his way toward a vampire he can see. Too bad he didn't stick around long enough to learn that Susan can use her fairies to scout ahead. It's the vampires he doesn't see that will be the real problem.

Yeah, definitely related.

To be fair, cooperating like this without prior training wouldn't end up well anyway. Adrian SHOULD have enough training to not being surprised from back easily on his own, AND we have Pandora, Susan AND Diane to warn him, if they don't distract themselves by talking about how they are related.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't she, in this case, focused on that poor married men instead of Adrian Raven? Also, I think Pandora would actually consider that cheating on Blaike and wouldn't do it because of that.

I did revise that theory to give a more plausible motivation to Pandora, and remember, it was only very recently she was reminded of what Blaike might think of what she's been doing, she's been going for centuries without a reset so who knows for sure when she lost sight of that while she was busy justifying her actions?

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

To be fair, cooperating like this without prior training wouldn't end up well anyway. Adrian SHOULD have enough training to not being surprised from back easily on his own, AND we have Pandora, Susan AND Diane to warn him, if they don't distract themselves by talking about how they are related.

If Susan keeps at a distance and uses fairies and thrown hammers to distract or stun the aberrations, that'd still be a great help even if she doesn't have a lot of fighting skill.

Maybe realism isn't a huge priority in Dan's Moperverse, what with flying snakes with bowties and giant koalas wearing tiny hats (his hat got smaller). But, realistically, while training and practice is important, it's not as important as combat experience. I don't think Adrian has really had very much. I think it's the best explanation why Abraham was able to defeat him. Adrian has to have had more accumulated training, wider knowledge, more spells, and more sheer magical power than Abraham, who has spent most of the same centuries locked in stone between fights. Adrian would have fought every Aberration he encountered, but he's had little or even no experience in combat beyond that. His last combat was probably decades ago, and I suspect he used a boar spear to kill his next-to-last boar. Abraham has literally done nothing but hunt and kill monsters for most of those same centuries, and since he "sleeps in stone" between these incidents, all of his combat experience is recent.

Aberrations and Vampires

The first Aberration in EGS was Sirleck, although we didn't know exactly what he was until later. He appeared just before the beginning of HammerchloriansHowever, we saw enough to guess he was probably going to be a nasty piece of work.

Vampires made their first appearance in the Moperverse in Hammerchlorians in 2010, eight years after EGS began. Since Dan put Susan's trip to France into canon much earlier, he could have gotten them mostly designed that long ago, but I suspect that, Aberrations and Vampires are really a later and evolving creation.

There was nothing comic at all about the French Vampire. Hammerchlorians was packed with lots and lots of humor (beating up Rich and Larry with a plastic toy hammer; Man Engulfs Food; the return of the Demonic Duck) but the meat in this comedy sandwich was the darkest sequence in the series so far.

The Spider Vampire didn't appear for six more years, and the only time I can remember vampires even being mentioned in the interval was when Susan blurted out she'd killed one to Matt Cohen. Not a lot of funny in hi

Next up, Big Mouth. He had a funny lunch, but, again, no visible humor in his appearance or behavior. No humor in Scarf Guy either, but more menace, I think.

Then came Kangeroo Guy, alias Koala Guy. He's funny in either form. Possibly deadly if he gets the drop on his victim, but definitely designed to be funny.

And then, Snake-with-a-Bowtie. This one should have driven to the mall in a clown car; maybe we'll find one in the parking lot later.

Jokes aside, my message here is that there's a real chance Adrian won't survive. Dan has just sent Adrian into combat with questionable support, an unreliable weapon, and incomplete intelligence on his opposition. Especially Scarf Guy. Pandora doesn't seem to know about him yet. I say "seem" because Dan may have squeezed the dialog to get in that last question from Susan. Pandora should have given at least short descriptions of the other vampires to Adrian. Maybe she'd been about to do that before Adrian went charging off.

Just Another Thought

This doesn't really have anything to do with my long-winded blathering about Adrian's possible future or lack thereof, but here it is: Do we really know if Scarf Guy is an Aberration? Couldn't he be Voltaire in disguise? That would explain why despite his bold talk, he hasn't really done anything. 

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

This doesn't really have anything to do with my long-winded blathering about Adrian's possible future or lack thereof, but here it is: Do we really know if Scarf Guy is an Aberration? Couldn't he be Voltaire in disguise? That would explain why despite his bold talk, he hasn't really done anything. 

I don't think scarf guy is Voltaire, last we saw Voltaire he seemed content that there was nothing more he could do but wait for plan CM to play out. Some could argue that disguising himself as one of the aberrations would let him ensure that the plan goes accordingly, but that would mean getting directly involved, and while technically he did get directly involved the previous week when he appeared, he'd be putting himself at risk if being caught by Pandora. I'd say he's around there somewhere, watching and waiting, but not actively involved.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't think scarf guy is Voltaire, last we saw Voltaire he seemed content that there was nothing more he could do but wait for plan CM to play out. Some could argue that disguising himself as one of the aberrations would let him ensure that the plan goes accordingly, but that would mean getting directly involved, and while technically he did get directly involved the previous week when he appeared, he'd be putting himself at risk if being caught by Pandora. I'd say he's around there somewhere, watching and waiting, but not actively involved.

I'm saying Voltaire might be disguised as Scarf Guy. He's established himself as using the same appearance in every panel he's been seen clearly, which would make for a great gotcha later on. All Scarf Guy has done so far is talk, and that certainly falls into the "guiding" part of the Immortal strike zone. And Voltaire is the one who actually set up the targeting of Adrian, so I think that could be a very important part of Plan CM and maybe even a part of Plan A, which Voltaire did say was still surprisingly on course. And Voltaire's plans seem more important to him than simply relieving his boredom.

If Voltaire is Scarf Guy, he probably doesn't want to kill Adrian since he's not allowed to himself. But playing Scarf Guy allows him to influence the vampires right on the scene without revealing himself as Floating Elf Jesus. The Wednesday flashback where Scarf Guy tells Kangaroo/Koala Guy to "leave him to me" gives Scarf Guy an opening to opt out--which is just what Voltaire would want if he's Scarf Guy.

23 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm saying Voltaire might be disguised as Scarf Guy. He's established himself as using the same appearance in every panel he's been seen clearly, which would make for a great gotcha later on. All Scarf Guy has done so far is talk, and that certainly falls into the "guiding" part of the Immortal strike zone. And Voltaire is the one who actually set up the targeting of Adrian, so I think that could be a very important part of Plan CM and maybe even a part of Plan A, which Voltaire did say was still surprisingly on course. And Voltaire's plans seem more important to him than simply relieving his boredom.

If Voltaire is Scarf Guy, he probably doesn't want to kill Adrian since he's not allowed to himself. But playing Scarf Guy allows him to influence the vampires right on the scene without revealing himself as Floating Elf Jesus. The Wednesday flashback where Scarf Guy tells Kangaroo/Koala Guy to "leave him to me" gives Scarf Guy an opening to opt out--which is just what Voltaire would want if he's Scarf Guy.

There is a hole in this, when we first saw Scarf Guy, Big Mouth called him a weakling, which some may argue as a lack of detectable power which it's been known that an Immortal's power cannot be sensed. BUT when Scarf Guy challenged Big Mouth, Big Mouth backed down, why? Did he realize he was dealing with an Immortal? Why didn't he call him out if he was? He should have known he was likely screwed either way if an Immortal was involved in an attack on an Elf so why would he stick to the contract?

Yes Scarf Guy is a mystery, but I doubt he's Voltaire.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

BUT when Scarf Guy challenged Big Mouth, Big Mouth backed down, why? Did he realize he was dealing with an Immortal? Why didn't he call him out if he was? He should have known he was likely screwed either way if an Immortal was involved in an attack on an Elf so why would he stick to the contract?

A valid argument if Big Mouth has some smarts and actually has a magic detection spell. But if BM has smarts, he's done a pretty good job of hiding them. And speaking of hiding, we haven't seen Big Mouth again, have we? Is he part of the Elf Death Squadron, or does he have some assignment elsewhere? Say, as an inhuman voyeur? Can't get much more inhuman.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Mostly to make the Galactica reference clear.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

In theory Mr. Dunkel can provide charts as well.

Yes, but his barrel of exposition is not bottomless.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

....and giant koalas wearing tiny hats

Tiny hats?  Quick, check for goggles, he might be a steampunk!

46 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

A valid argument if Big Mouth has some smarts and actually has a magic detection spell. But if BM has smarts, he's done a pretty good job of hiding them. And speaking of hiding, we haven't seen Big Mouth again, have we? Is he part of the Elf Death Squadron, or does he have some assignment elsewhere? Say, as an inhuman voyeur? Can't get much more inhuman.

When things started happening, Pandora told Adrian there were 3 vampires heading for the food court, I had assumed those 3 were Big Mouth, Scarf Guy and Kangaroo Guy (who turned out to be Koala Guy) because they were the only ones we'd seen up to that point, Then Bearded Snake Guy shows up and put doubt into the 3 being who I thought. This comic has Adrian assuming there were two left so he likely saw Susan kill Bearded Snake Guy and he would be thinking that Koala Guy and one more that hadn't appeared yet, but Pandora corrected him by saying three, or more and stated she didn't know about Koala Guy, so it'd be fair to say she probably isn't aware of Scarf Guy either, and maybe not aware of Big Mouth? It would make sense if Bearded Snake and 2 other vampires that we haven't seen, kicked things off first and Koala, Scarf and Big Mouth were hanging back a bit first and Koala jumped the gun out of anger for losing one of the bonuses. Or maybe Big Mouth is one of the first 3 and there's still one more that we haven't seen that Pandora doesn't know about yet.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Or maybe Big Mouth is one of the first 3 and there's still one more that we haven't seen that Pandora doesn't know about yet.

Or maybe he won't be there at all. However, Dan has shown a certain reluctance to throw away new characters which are basically one-comic jokes, and even mourned their passing in his commentaries at least twice twice (Dambusting Mage and Oprhanage Arsonist). So I think Dan will use Big Mouth again somewhere, and probably at the mall unless he wants to have a vampiric distraction elsewhere in Moperville, most likely for Nanase from what we've seen so far. 

Dan doesn't have to show the yet unseen vampires at all, even if he kills them all off. He could have used flashbacks to show the six vampires Lady Andrea killed--and I'm hoping he finds an excuse to do that sometime in the future. But he could also just have the action happen offstage; Shakespeare did that trope a lot.

EGS is not Battle Angel Alita. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are only three canon occurrences showing one character actually killing another character: Susan killing two vampires, and Dame Tara killing the Spider Vampire, and when Susan killed her first vampire, all we saw was her bringing down the ax, not the ax striking the vampire. The Goo was actually an automoton, and we didn't see Adrian shooting the boar.

Speaking of Alita, waiting for The Last Jedi to finally begin, in the previews I learned there really is a Battle Angel Alita movie coming out after all.

Edited by Tom Sewell
"Arsonist", not "Arthonist. Thorry about the lithp; maybe itth from thothe three yearth in Thpain where they thpeak Cathtillian, which hath a lithp. Or maybe too many Thylvethter and Tweety cartoonth.

26 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan doesn't have to show the yet unseen vampires at all, even if he kills them all off. He could have used flashbacks to show the six vampires Lady Andrea killed--and I'm hoping he finds an excuse to do that sometime in the future. But he could also just have the action happen offstage; Shakespeare did that trope a lot.

I dunno, Dan's hyped up this moment pretty heavy ("I will rain Hell down on Moperville" Remember?) for him to only show us a fraction of what happens. I would like to think that Dan wants to make this event bigger than the goo and Abraham encounters of the previous Sister arcs. So if the story says there are 6 vampires, we should see them in action as it happens rather than as a passing mention.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I would like to think that Dan wants to make this event bigger than the goo and Abraham encounters of the previous Sister arcs. So if the story says there are 6 vampires, we should see them in action as it happens rather than as a passing mention.

I would like to think Dan will make this event as meaningful as he can. Spectacle is always nice, but endless fighting bores me; that's why I gave up on Yu Yu Hokosho after the first two promising volumes.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I did revise that theory to give a more plausible motivation to Pandora, and remember, it was only very recently she was reminded of what Blaike might think of what she's been doing, she's been going for centuries without a reset so who knows for sure when she lost sight of that while she was busy justifying her actions?

I mean now.

Her CURRENT state is that she is nervous wreck because she told Adrian he can't have children. If she would broken up her own grandson's family, she would be concerned about it now.

Also, no I don't think she ever forgot about Blaike. She might forgot to think about what he would think about what she's doing, but not about Blaike himself.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Susan keeps at a distance and uses fairies and thrown hammers to distract or stun the aberrations, that'd still be a great help even if she doesn't have a lot of fighting skill.

Yes. But Adrian would better not RELY on that. Just telling him that Susan can scout with her fairies wouldn't help unless they would spend some training to verify how fast can Susan relay informations from that scouting to Adrian.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe realism isn't a huge priority in Dan's Moperverse, what with flying snakes with bowties and giant koalas wearing tiny hats (his hat got smaller). But, realistically, while training and practice is important, it's not as important as combat experience. I don't think Adrian has really had very much. I think it's the best explanation why Abraham was able to defeat him. Adrian has to have had more accumulated training, wider knowledge, more spells, and more sheer magical power than Abraham, who has spent most of the same centuries locked in stone between fights. Adrian would have fought every Aberration he encountered, but he's had little or even no experience in combat beyond that. His last combat was probably decades ago, and I suspect he used a boar spear to kill his next-to-last boar. Abraham has literally done nothing but hunt and kill monsters for most of those same centuries, and since he "sleeps in stone" between these incidents, all of his combat experience is recent.

Adrian didn't have any problem fighting Abraham until the point where he offered possibility to surrender to him. He would never need to do that with aberration or monster in general, therefore he doesn't have experience with THAT. I would say his combat experience fighting aberrations are much better, although it's true they are unlikely to be recent.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Jokes aside, my message here is that there's a real chance Adrian won't survive. Dan has just sent Adrian into combat with questionable support, an unreliable weapon, and incomplete intelligence on his opposition. Especially Scarf Guy. Pandora doesn't seem to know about him yet. I say "seem" because Dan may have squeezed the dialog to get in that last question from Susan. Pandora should have given at least short descriptions of the other vampires to Adrian. Maybe she'd been about to do that before Adrian went charging off.

Pandora's experience on what is good idea to tell Adrian before fight would likely be more rusty than Adrian's combat experience. However, Adrian might easily be able to "taste" aberrations and speed might be more important than better intelligence in this case, especially considering the intelligence won't get that much better if Pandora told him everything she knows and it still wouldn't include Scarf Guy.

And yes, it's possible Adrian won't survive.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Voltaire set up the targeting on Adrian, therefore it would be illogical if he would now indirectly protect him by telling vampires to leave him to himself. Of course, it MIGHT be part of some complicated plan with Susan being actual target, but Occam's razor would say he's not Scarf Guy.

Yup, Adrian can easily kill one vampire offstage now leaving just the vampires we already saw. If that would happen, it would support the idea that Dan doesn't want to spend time on designing throw-away characters and would never show the six Andrea killed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are only three canon occurrences showing one character actually killing another character: Susan killing two vampires, and Dame Tara killing the Spider Vampire, and when Susan killed her first vampire, all we saw was her bringing down the ax, not the ax striking the vampire. The Goo was actually an automoton, and we didn't see Adrian shooting the boar.

And Damien committed suicide. But wait, we saw Damien killing Mr. Guyur. Then we have some cases of summons being unsummoned, some quite violently.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I dunno, Dan's hyped up this moment pretty heavy ("I will rain Hell down on Moperville" Remember?) for him to only show us a fraction of what happens. I would like to think that Dan wants to make this event bigger than the goo and Abraham encounters of the previous Sister arcs. So if the story says there are 6 vampires, we should see them in action as it happens rather than as a passing mention.

Question is how well he has the fight planned. It's possible he used six because he needs five doing something specific and one spare for case he realizes some mistake later. On the other hand, the information there are six vampires is quite recent so maybe he is already sure he wouldn't need spare.

Note: Totally expected there would be more vampires doing the hell raining.

35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Adrian didn't have any problem fighting Abraham until the point where he offered possibility to surrender to him. He would never need to do that with aberration or monster in general, therefore he doesn't have experience with THAT. I would say his combat experience fighting aberrations are much better, although it's true they are unlikely to be recent.

But has Adrian ever fought so many monsters or Aberrations at once? And not all Aberrations appear monstrous all the time, and Adrian isn't going to attack anyone who appears to be human without hesitation. Unlike the locked-down school Adrian fought Abraham inside, the mall is chock full of human bystanders capable of all sorts of questionable behaviors, especially in a panic.

Absolutely right. I don't re-read Painted Black nearly as often as the rest of EGS because I really can't stomach Damien. He makes Hannibal Lector seem cuddly.

Voltaire set up the targeting on Adrian, therefore it would be illogical if he would now indirectly protect him by telling vampires to leave him to himself. Of course, it MIGHT be part of some complicated plan with Susan being actual target, but Occam's razor would say he's not Scarf Guy.

I very much doubt either Susan or Diane is Voltaire's real target. Bishop William of Occam's razor won't cut if Voltaire's plan involves making sure Adrian isn't killed.

Question is how well he has the fight planned.

Planned? With a squad of vampires? If the vampires have anything like a real force commander, it has to be Scarf Guy. Best plan would be having a commander who isn't a vampire.

Totally expected there would be more vampires doing the hell raining.

Well, maybe there are more vampires raining hell in other parts of Moperville. Read about it tomorrow in the Daily Mope. That ought to be out by at least by 2019 in our universe. 

Edited by Tom Sewell
More hell raining, less hell raising

25 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But has Adrian ever fought so many monsters or Aberrations at once?

Good question.

And not all Aberrations appear monstrous all the time, and Adrian isn't going to attack anyone who appears to be human without hesitation.

As I already said, he may be able to identify them using his inhuman senses. Or magic.

Unlike the locked-down school Adrian fought Abraham inside, the mall is chock full of human bystanders capable of all sorts of questionable behaviors, especially in a panic.

Yup, not ideal battle ground.

I very much doubt either Susan or Diane is Voltaire's real target. Bishop William of Occam's razor won't cut if Voltaire's plan involves making sure Adrian isn't killed.

Then why he made him target?

Question is how well he has the fight planned.

Planned? With a squad of vampires? If the vampires have anything like a real force commander, it has to be Scarf Guy. Best plan would be having a commander who isn't a vampire.

How well DAN has the fight planned. This part was meta.

Totally expected there would be more vampires doing the hell raining.

Well, maybe there are more vampires raining hell in other parts of Moperville.

Maybe, however so far Sirleck didn't even mentioned them. Unless there IS one in college.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
35 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, maybe there are more vampires raining hell in other parts of Moperville.

Maybe, however so far Sirleck didn't even mentioned them.

Sirleck meant he'd sent six vampires to kill Adrian. That could mean he sent all the vampires he hired--or did he? If Helena and Demetrius were distracted long enough for Magus and Sirleck to get to Elliot, wouldn't they be at the Mall right now? With more hunters? If they are, they seem to be pretty late out of the gate...