• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 20, 2017

I know his reset was quite recent, and his magical power and knowledge are not as strong as they probably will be, someday.  But how can he honestly claim the name "Zeus" when he is helpless before a teen aged girl who wants to hug vampires?

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But how can he honestly claim the name "Zeus" when he is helpless before a teen aged girl who wants to hug vampires?

Possibly because he wanted to choose a name old Jerry hated? Remember, he's hardwired to get an "I VOWED!" rocket from his previous self when he even thinks of slacking off on his obligation to Susan.

Isn't today Wednesday?

Ok. Pandora is clever and postpones the questions for later. ... wait, only one of us? HOW?

Meanwhile, Jerry is shouting the answer so loud there is risk Adrian heard that. Apparently, he's too young to call Diane's bluff. Also, Diane asked multiple things and this was not even directly one of them, he could totally stall for time by answering each literally first and let her ask for additional details (because Diane WOULD ask). Too young for that too I guess.

... also, Jerry is going to explain everything, we will find holes in his explanation and Dan can fix them and make Pandora explain everything correctly afterwards.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But how can he honestly claim the name "Zeus" when he is helpless before a teen aged girl who wants to hug vampires?

Possibly because he wanted to choose a name old Jerry hated? Remember, he's hardwired to get an "I VOWED!" rocket from his previous self when he even thinks of slacking off on his obligation to Susan.

I think that he's ALWAYS Zeus until he gets around 100 and realizes how stupid it is. When Jerry was talking about legendary hissy fits between two or more immortals named "Zeus", he was speaking from personal experience from the same incarnation.

48 minutes ago, WR...S said:

I don't think he could call himself "Zeus" if he weren't helpless before an 18-year-old girl.

Well ... is he even ALLOWED to act as expected from Zeus? I mean, in several cases it could be called stalking. And sometimes even worse (which I'm sure he's not allowed).

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well ... is he even ALLOWED to act as expected from Zeus? I mean, in several cases it could be called stalking. And sometimes even worse (which I'm sure he's not allowed).

Besides Antiope, Zeus is credited with fathering children with 55 named females who were not his wife Hera--the inventor of marriage. I guess we know what Zeus invented. BTW, the name of one of those not-his-wife females was Pandora.

However, Krishna trumped Zeus. He could have sex with a hundred women at the same time.

51 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Besides Antiope, Zeus is credited with fathering children with 55 named females who were not his wife Hera--the inventor of marriage. I guess we know what Zeus invented. BTW, the name of one of those not-his-wife females was Pandora.

However, Krishna trumped Zeus. He could have sex with a hundred women at the same time.

I was referring to the fact that he is not exactly known for accepting "no" as an answer.

To be fair, just because Zeus fathered 55 known children with named females doesn't mean he only had sex 55 times. But I still suspect Krishna would trump him.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

To be fair, just because Zeus fathered 55 known children with named females doesn't mean he only had sex 55 times. But I still suspect Krishna would trump him.

I wish I still had my Hyper Police collection. Zeus tries out a line something like "How would you like to be the ____th to feel the Thunder from Down Under?" on the catgirl daughter of Bastet.

Gods are many things to many peoples. The Greeks used the divine legends as vessels for exploring the human condition. Their Gods share all the human flaws, often amplified. It is no coincidence that the tale of Kronos is about a father consuming his children out of fear for losing his place in the future and Zeus eventually committing parricide to seize that place by force and free his siblings from Kronos' belly. Personally I sometimes suspect that some of the legends of later date were added by writers who wanted to discredit the old ways by showing the Gods in a repellent light. For example, Loki suddenly turning from unpredictable-but-generally-benign trickster figure into the Satan that betrays Balder (Jesus) into Hel and so sets off Ragnarok.

JerZeus is just one of many, many dubious figures who hijacked a name out of legend merely because it sounded cool. Hollywood and Japanese anime do it all the time with varying degrees of success and respect. I will refrain from going off on a rant about that to save the good people of this forum the aggravation and time.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ok. Pandora is clever and postpones the questions for later. ... wait, only one of us? HOW?

Either she's refering to Adrian, in which she knows he's the target, or she's refering to Diane because she has no magic to defend herself with if the vampires happen to go after her. Or maybe she's referring to Zeus if he isn't able to do his job. Probably either of the first two.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, Jerry is shouting the answer so loud there is risk Adrian heard that.

Adrian is probably far enough way now and there's probably a lot of noise from other mall goers screaming and things being destroyed, he might not have heard that.

Maybe.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Gods are many things to many peoples. The Greeks used the divine legends as vessels for exploring the human condition. Their Gods share all the human flaws, often amplified. It is no coincidence that the tale of Kronos is about a father consuming his children out of fear for losing his place in the future and Zeus eventually committing parricide to seize that place by force and free his siblings from Kronos' belly. Personally I sometimes suspect that some of the legends of later date were added by writers who wanted to discredit the old ways by showing the Gods in a repellent light. For example, Loki suddenly turning from unpredictable-but-generally-benign trickster figure into the Satan that betrays Balder (Jesus) into Hel and so sets off Ragnarok.

JerZeus is just one of many, many dubious figures who hijacked a name out of legend merely because it sounded cool. Hollywood and Japanese anime do it all the time with varying degrees of success and respect. I will refrain from going off on a rant about that to save the good people of this forum the aggravation and time.

While one can say that Kronos was afraid of his children replacing him one day, maybe Zeus was all for the possibility of a child of his rising to godhood and the more children he had, the better the chances?

<bored voice>Yay for starburst-of-shouting-something-you-wanted-to-keep-secret in panel six.</bored voice> (I mean, I like special backgrounds and effects, but couldn't Dan throw in a few other things besides starbursts?)

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

My guess is that if Susan (or Raven or Diane) is in danger of dying, Pandora intends to step in and deal with the vampires even if it means breaking Immortal Law. ...Of course, if she's forced to reset that's going to put a damper on explaining everything...

As soon as I read "Only one of us is in danger" I thought Pandora knows that Adrian is the real target. It's a thought I had earlier. It fits into the theory that the real reason the Magus-Sirleck plan seems to be working now is that Pandora wants it to work, at least for Magus. But Pandora holding back that information from Adrian even now? That's something I still can't get my head around. It's for sure she's withholding for some very important reason.

Unless...

Okay, honest, this is a thought I really did not have at all until the end of that first paragraph: The one in real danger is Pandora herself. She knows that as soon as things go really pear-shaped with any of Adrian, Susan, or Diane she'll use her forbidden powers and probably get reset. Who does she really trust to look out for them after that?

Well, maybe.

Also we might keep in mind that Adrian doesn't seem to have finished that little chore Pandora gave him.

And since I have that in mind again, I have a new thought to go with it. Until now, I've been assuming that the reason Pandora told Sarah she wasn't going to talk to her son about that important thing he didn't know about until Saturday was that she expected that is when he'd be finished with his chore. But now I'm thinking that (maybe) Pandora already knew that Magus and Sirleck's plan was set for tonight.

I'm still pretty sure Pandora was really surprised there were so many vampires.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Added another reference link

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Pandora is clever and postpones the questions for later. ... wait, only one of us? HOW?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Either she's refering to Adrian, in which she knows he's the target, or she's refering to Diane because she has no magic to defend herself with if the vampires happen to go after her. Or maybe she's referring to Zeus if he isn't able to do his job. Probably either of the first two.

Pandora has resigned herself to a forced reset.

She "knows" that she can not fight the vampires directly.  But when things go badly for Adrian or the girls, she will intervene.  This may force her to reset.  And this may be her plan.

When she left Hecka, Pandora was trying to decide on a way she could maintain enough of her memories to keep her connection to Adrian and his (recently discovered) extended family while setting aside enough power and other knowledge that she was no longer on the edge of madness.  She may have come to the conclusion that this was not possible, and that the fresh start of a forced reset would be the best way to atone for the damage she has caused.

If she can go out in a blaze of glory, destroying monsters and revealing secrets along the way, so much the better.

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Great minds think alike, and, I see, sometimes at almost exactly the same time if you look at my post just before this one.

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

She "knows" that she can not fight the vampires directly.  But when things go badly for Adrian or the girls, she will intervene.  This may force her to reset.  And this may be her plan.

When she left Hecka, Pandora was trying to decide on a way she could maintain enough of her memories to keep her connection to Adrian and his (recently discovered) extended family while setting aside enough power and other knowledge that she was no longer on the edge of madness.  She may have come to the conclusion that this was not possible, and that the fresh start of a forced reset would be the best way to atone for the damage she has caused.

If she can go out in a blaze of glory, destroying monsters and revealing secrets along the way, so much the better.

But after she spoke with Tedd, she had resolved to "Refresh" rather than "Reset", a forced reset doesn't seem like it would work as a refresh since getting one's knowledge run through a blender would not be ideal for someone who desires to maintain all their memories of the people she cares about.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

But after she spoke with Tedd, she had resolved to "Refresh" rather than "Reset", a forced reset doesn't seem like it would work as a refresh since getting one's knowledge run through a blender would not be ideal for someone who desires to maintain all their memories of the people she cares about.

Which could make the only person in danger Pandora. She'd lose the person she is now.

Zeus seems to be at the edge of panic, if not diving full into it. Diane is going to be the death of him, either figuratively or literally.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

While in modern day, Zeus is most remembered for his infidelity, He did have dominion of other things that made mortals appreciate him. Such as the rule of law and xenia(sacred hospitality, very important in a time which travel can take multiple days and things like hotels didn't really exist yet). Breaking xenia was possibly the fastest way to make Zeus extremely angry.

5 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As soon as I read "Only one of us is in danger" I thought Pandora knows that Adrian is the real target. It's a thought I had earlier. It fits into the theory that the real reason the Magus-Sirleck plan seems to be working now is that Pandora wants it to work, at least for Magus. But Pandora holding back that information from Adrian even now? That's something I still can't get my head around. It's for sure she's withholding for some very important reason.

Unless...

Okay, honest, this is a thought I really did not have at all until the end of that first paragraph: The one in real danger is Pandora herself. She knows that as soon as things go really pear-shaped with any of Adrian, Susan, or Diane she'll use her forbidden powers and probably get reset. Who does she really trust to look out for them after that?

Well, maybe.

Also we might keep in mind that Adrian doesn't seem to have finished that little chore Pandora gave him.

And since I have that in mind again, I have a new thought to go with it. Until now, I've been assuming that the reason Pandora told Sarah she wasn't going to talk to her son about that important thing he didn't know about until Saturday was that she expected that is when he'd be finished with his chore. But now I'm thinking that (maybe) Pandora already knew that Magus and Sirleck's plan was set for tonight.

I'm still pretty sure Pandora was really surprised there were so many vampires.

I doubt Pandora knows about Magus's plan. She would have warned Adrian before this if she did. Even if she wants Magus out of his situation, she's not going to care more about that than Adrian. And she's been more self conscious about her actions recently, so I doubt she would risk his safety like when Adrian fought Abraham.

I agree Pandora is likely referring to herself when mentioning only one is in danger. She knows direct action would be against the rules, but she's willing to sacrifice herself to save Adrian, Susan, and Diane (She probably doesn't care about Zeus outside of his ability to keep the others alive and he's an Immortal. He can take care of himself)

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I think it might be a case that she doesn't want a forced reset, but is willing to accept that if that is what it takes to keep people she cares about alive.

6 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I think it might be a case that she doesn't want a forced reset, but is willing to accept that if that is what it takes to keep people she cares about alive.

Pandora is waiting for something. That something might be forcing Voltaire to reset himself, or to give Pandora an opportunity to tear him to pieces. After all, he's the one who's really pulling the strings, the final boss in this game.

At least he looks better than Bowser.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Great minds think alike, and, I see, sometimes at almost exactly the same time if you look at my post just before this one.

If I had not bothered to check my spelling I would have been first.  Darnitol to Hecka.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That is the point.  She may have reached the conclusion that the "Refresh" just isn't possible.  Then again...

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Which could make the only person in danger Pandora. She'd lose the person she is now.

Yes.  Even if the "Refresh" is possible, this apocalyptic situation may not allow her the opportunity to attempt that option.

And let us not forget that overall magic system reset could eliminate all her refresh plans.

4 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That is the point.  She may have reached the conclusion that the "Refresh" just isn't possible.  Then again...

I'm not sure it's come to that point yet, a full day hasn't even passed yet since Pandora made her decision to refresh, it would take something traumatic happening to Pandora to make her change that decision. The death of Adrian were certainly warrant that, but Pandora did not try to stop Adrian from running in to fight the vampires, I don't think that means she's resigned herself from attempting to refresh, she would be doing more to prevent his death if she knew it would cause her to snap.

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And let us not forget that overall magic system reset could eliminate all her refresh plans.

It could eliminate a lot of stuff--maybe including aberrations. Now that's a weapons-grade get-out-of-jail-free card to play.

I do believe that Pandora has resigned herself to a forced reset is all appears lost rather than seeing Adrian, Susan or Diane hurt.  Which yes, would place "Pandora" in danger, but she doesn't want that for many reasons, including trying to stay herself and attempt a "refresh" so that her love for her family doesn't die.  Rather reminds me of when the Tenth Doctor said, "I don't want to go."

Before that happens, she can provide support in the form of Empower and Advise.  So, she could grant more power to Susan, who could summon more hammers, swords and fairies without running out of juice (I can't imagine she won't come out of this combat without gaining another spell related to fighting vampires, but for the life of me, I also can't imagine which it would be, upgrade to hammers, swords or fairies or something even more exotic; battle fairies with their own swords?).  She can also see the aberrations coming and warn Adrian and Susan.  Honestly, an immortal being present at the battle might make the aberrations think twice about attacking.

57 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

It could eliminate a lot of stuff--maybe including aberrations. Now that's a weapons-grade get-out-of-jail-free card to play.

Oy, happening in the midst of battle that would be game changing but it might not eliminate but change aberrations to follow different rules.  Wonder how that would affect Magus inhabiting Elliot's body; might throw him out or worse, make it permanent.

Hah, I wonder if to change magic's operating system you have to reboot and reinstall (well the Universal equivalent); magic might be halted or nullified while the changes take effect.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I can't believe that Pandora hasn't given Diane a mark by now. Maybe she can kill vampires by hugging them now.

I don't know if that would be worse then cheerleading them to death.