• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 20, 2017

2 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Wonder how that would affect Magus inhabiting Elliot's body; might throw him out or worse, make it permanent.

In that case it could have already happened during the car ride in Part 21. Oops.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I can't believe that Pandora hasn't given Diane a mark by now. Maybe she can kill vampires by hugging them now.

Joking aside, what would Diane be able to do if she was just now given access to magic?

When Susan and Nanase were in France, not only did they have a bit more time to prepare, but Nanase was already skilled in martial arts and the idea was that Susan would just give Nanase the weapons and let her do the fighting. Plus there was only 1 vampire back then between the two of them, now it's 5 vampires left and Susan's still not skilled enough to really deal with them unless it's taking them by surprise, and Diane's no better.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

In that case it could have already happened during the car ride in Part 21. Oops.

Ah yes, thank you, forgot about the timeline difference.  So no obvious change to Magic by that time; those lights that made Sirleck feel like he "dodged a bullet."  Hopefully not Pandora going out in a blaze of glory.  Perhaps just the cheer of doom led by Diane.  Or maybe it was the Change in Magic but it's radiating outward and hasn't reached them yet.

1 minute ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ah yes, thank you, forgot about the timeline difference.  So no obvious change to Magic by that time; those lights that made Sirleck feel like he "dodged a bullet."  Hopefully not Pandora going out in a blaze of glory.  Perhaps just the cheer of doom led by Diane.  Or maybe it was the Change in Magic but it's radiating outward and hasn't reached them yet.

So, another opportunity to dust off my old theory of Elliot and Magus getting stuck in the same body, in which case Dan would be obligated to bring in Terra to compete with Ashley and all the others with a thing for Elliot.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Joking aside, what would Diane be able to do if she was just now given access to magic?

How about a castling spell? That is, an analog to the chess move where you shuffle the position of your king and a rook. Say, Diane switches places with Susan.

Or perhaps even more appropriately, a spell to summon Nanase.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

When Susan and Nanase were in France, not only did they have a bit more time to prepare, but Nanase was already skilled in martial arts and the idea was that Susan would just give Nanase the weapons and let her do the fighting. Plus there was only 1 vampire back then between the two of them, now it's 5 vampires left and Susan's still not skilled enough to really deal with them unless it's taking them by surprise, and Diane's no better.

I guess it depends on what her predisposition dictates.  I mean one aspect is obviously the ability to summon weapons that can hurt vampires, summoning the Bane, but does that vampire hunting aspect only manifest one way or does it block out other predispositions?

If either answer is no, then perhaps she can summon a magic weapon that gives a distance or ranged attack.  The desire to protect herself and Susan might give her a force field.  Given her ability to deduce and notice details, perhaps she could receive enhanced situation awareness to give her battle sense.  Since she is so sneaky, the ability to literally "hide in shadows" (shadow walk) or invisibility (obviously only works if Susan hands her a sword or hammer).  She loves griffins so much now, perhaps she could gain the ability to turn into a griffin.

33 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

(I can't imagine she won't come out of this combat without gaining another spell related to fighting vampires, but for the life of me, I also can't imagine which it would be, upgrade to hammers, swords or fairies or something even more exotic; battle fairies with their own swords?)

Maybe a shield or something to help her dodge faster. She has plenty of offensive options but not many defensive ones.

14 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

I guess it depends on what her predisposition dictates.  I mean one aspect is obviously the ability to summon weapons that can hurt vampires, summoning the Bane, but does that vampire hunting aspect only manifest one way or does it block out other predispositions?

Hmmm. Nanase hasn't specifically been tagged as a summoner of magical weapons--but I think her Aunt Noriko has...

Yeah, I know Diane wasn't there when Agent Wolf spilled the Noriko beans, but Pandora's had days to talk with Nanase, and even if she doesn't know about Noriko at all, Pandora probably does. And even if Pandora doesn't, a general "Summon someone who can help" spell could still work here.

Diane: Nanase?

Noriko: You know my niece?

Edited by Tom Sewell
Mixed up Diane with Pandora. They look *so* much alike!

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

While one can say that Kronos was afraid of his children replacing him one day, maybe Zeus was all for the possibility of a child of his rising to godhood and the more children he had, the better the chances?

You could say that. You could also call him a horny old goat who would screw anything female and didn't view consent or lack thereof as a major factor. As a particularly nice touch, whenever Hera claimed her vengeance, it would invariably be against the victim or the child. This was not a legend written to make the Gods look good.

But as a comment on society, it's not all that bad.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

You could say that. You could also call him a horny old goat who would screw anything female and didn't view consent or lack thereof as a major factor. As a particularly nice touch, whenever Hera claimed her vengeance, it would invariably be against the victim or the child. This was not a legend written to make the Gods look good.

In some versions of the myths, Hera wanted to get vengeance against her cheating husband, but knew that doing so would likely be suicide.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

How about a castling spell? That is, an analog to the chess move where you shuffle the position of your king and a rook. Say, Diane switches places with Susan.

Or perhaps even more appropriately, a spell to summon Nanase.

Depends on the spell really, but no guarantee that Diane would be effective with it.

Switching places seems like a bad thing, if say, Susan was in danger of being struck down, Diane would basically be sacrificing herself. Or if Diane was about to be struck, sacrificing Susan...I don't see Diane doing either of those.

Teleportation is not something we've really seen in EGS, Adrian might have used a short range teleport to get behind Abraham while the murder shroud was active, or Adrian was just that agile and moved while Abraham was distracted. Maybe the closest thing to getting Nanase there would be some sort of call that lets her get her get to the mall via Fairy Doll, but it's possible Nanase's already occupied with looking for Ellen.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Adrian might have used a short range teleport to get behind Abraham while the murder shroud was active,

There's a thought I never had. Good one, quite plausible. There's an archtypal character in GURPS that can only teleport ten yards (or meters in the foreign editions) but that's very useful. I don't think it would break EGS.

An Illusion spell, something like Nanase's color clones, would fit the sneaky part of Diane's persona. But her MOS seems to be "Vampire Hunter" so I think her first spell should fit that.

However, summoning Nanase would be a great kludge about now, and summoning Noriko would be an awesome gotcha! I'm talking the level of Luke calling Leia back at the end of Empire gotcha!

Edited by Tom Sewell
Amplification of gotcha!

However, summoning Nanase would be a great kludge about now, and summoning Noriko would be an awesome gotcha!

While Nanase would even the playing field here, as I said before, she might be occupied with finding Ellen. Also I'm not sure if Dan is ready to drop Noriko into the mix during this arc, I think she's better dealt with in a future storyline that focuses more on Tedd.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

While Nanase would even the playing field here, as I said before, she might be occupied with finding Ellen. Also I'm not sure if Dan is ready to drop Noriko into the mix during this arc, I think she's better dealt with in a future storyline that focuses more on Tedd.

Hmm. Magic about to change; Tedd has a critical function for a magical change; Only time we saw Tedd with his mom she was with Adrian. Yeah, I'm sure there's a much better time later.

Wait, so JerZeus knows that humans can be related to Immortals (thus know that Half-Immortals can have children)?  Really, Immortals must all be introverts, since there appears to be no sharing of information between them.  Or it's just Pandora who is the introvert.

Hmm. Magic about to change; Tedd has a critical function for a magical change; Only time we saw Tedd with his mom she was with Adrian. Yeah, I'm sure there's a much better time later.

Yeah, we don't know what his second purpose is, but that his emotional state seems critical to how it manifests, it may be touched upon more by the end of this arc, but it'll likely be a new arc that explores it to a greater extent. The question is when though?

4 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Wait, so JerZeus knows that humans can be related to Immortals (thus know that Half-Immortals can have children)?  Really, Immortals must all be introverts, since there appears to be no sharing of information between them.  Or it's just Pandora who is the introvert.

He might not think Susan and Diane are descendents of Raven - he might think they're descended from relatives of Blaike.

Alternately, he might "know" that Elves can't have children, but be more willing than Pandora was to think that bit of info is wrong.

Just now, Scotty said:

Yeah, we don't know what his second purpose is, but that his emotional state seems critical to how it manifests, it may be touched upon more by the end of this arc, but it'll likely be a new arc that explores it to a greater extent. The question is when though?

Obviously there are enough issues to resolve between Tedd and his Mom and his Mom and his Dad and Tedd and his sibling(s) he doesn't know about yet for a whole arc on its own. I'd call it "Noah's Arc" but there will probably be a Noah arc. However, I'm not joking about it being appropriate to bring Noriko into this arc

6 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

He might not think Susan and Diane are descendents of Raven - he might think they're descended from relatives of Blaike.

Alternately, he might "know" that Elves can't have children, but be more willing than Pandora was to think that bit of info is wrong.

Whatever Zeus knows,  he knows a great deal more than Helen or Demetrius. Unlike them, he did have a proper reset. Maybe more importantly, I think he has quite a lot of the attitude Jerry had crafted by the end of that life, which included humility, reasonable restraint, and tolerance--all qualities that Voltaire lacks.

43 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

I've wondered how the secret of elves having children works with a female elf. That can't be played off as their partner cheating on them. And there only being male elves (or only male elves being able to conceive children) feels too contrived (Though it is the answer my own brain echoed back at me whenever I thought on this conundrum).

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That is the point.  She may have reached the conclusion that the "Refresh" just isn't possible. 

She doesn't seem to have changed her behavior in any way that would be consistent with that.  Among other things, she's still promising to explain things later.  If she'd decided a forced reset was inevitable, at the least I'd expect her to stop making promises like that, and probably also leave some sort of letter or video or somesuch explaining what she can't explain in person.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yes.  Even if the "Refresh" is possible, this apocalyptic situation may not allow her the opportunity to attempt that option.

And let us not forget that overall magic system reset could eliminate all her refresh plans.

Hmm, perhaps a magic reset would change the way in which Immortals reset, such that it's closer to the "refresh" Pandora was aiming for.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Hadn't Pandora learned the truth before she ordered JerZeus to protect Diane and Susan?  His theory may be based on something she said then, even if she didn't outright explain it all.

All Pandora would really need to say to JerZeus during their meeting is "No harm must come to my family!" and that would be enough to instill the kind of fear JerZeus has right now. He probably doesn't know how distant the relation is, just that there's a relation.

1 minute ago, Drasvin said:

I've wondered how the secret of elves having children works with a female elf. That can't be played off as their partner cheating on them. And there only being male elves (or only male elves being able to conceive children) feels too contrived (Though it is the answer my own brain echoed back at me whenever I thought on this conundrum).

I'm wondered whether Immortals or Elves even have permanently fixed sexes. For some reason I can't put my finger it just seems approrpriate for EGS.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He probably doesn't know how distant the relation is, just that there's a relation.

But there's that huge resemblance besides the twin things. Since Blaike died before Jerry's life began, Zeus doesn't know what Blaike looks like. He does know that Adrian is Pandora's son, and, of course, he's had a really, really close look at Pandora a moment or three ago.

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

But there's that huge resemblance besides the twin things. Since Blaike died before Jerry's life began, Zeus doesn't know what Blaike looks like. He does know that Adrian is Pandora's son, and, of course, he's had a really, really close look at Pandora a moment or three ago.

That's the thing, JerZeus is saying it all and adding that it's a theory, JerZeus had felt that there was a connection between Susan and Diane since at least New Years and he assumed they were twin sisters, he admitted to us later he really doesn't know for sure how they're related, just that there's something connecting them. Pandora finding him later and telling him to watch over her family, even without stating how they are family, would be another dot for him to connect and he could be assuming that since she's several centuries old and her son is also several centuries, that maybe there's several generations between them (hence why he stated that Pandora is a distant relative). He may still also think that Susan and Diane's strong resemblance even to Pandora may be similar to how Rival Wizards may look alike, or that the resemblance is passed down every generation.