• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday January 5, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2443

Oh no....

Hoping for one of two things:

Either Scarf, misses and hits Gullet instead, which is unlikely considering Dan's commentary suggests that Scarf has very good aim.

Or Scarf intentionally shoots Gullet, either in a twist that reveals Scarf to be a good guy, or because Scarf would rather Adrian face him.

Still doesn't look good here.

Really fun poem, and I love Scarf's grin in panel five. :D As an added bonus, we have technology triumphing over magic, which is a theme I'm always a fan of.

...Wait, I seem to be forgetting something... Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be rooting for Pandora's team, including her son!

Oh *bleep*. This could be bad.

Getting a look at Scarf's face as he drops his scarf made me realize something.

One, Scarf is actually Henry from the old Henry comic strip by Carl Anderson.

Two, this is why Henry's mouth was almost never shown in the comics.

And did someone already mention Ralph Bakshi's Wizards?

21 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That would be me. Others followed.

Firing a pistol like that one-handed means he isn't going to get off a second shot very soon, if he doesn't, in fact, break something. Yes, being a vampire, he'll have regeneration like Susan and Nanase's vampire, but not instant regeneration, I think.

Of course, none of this will do any good if he's on target with that one shot. Unless what Raven is casting is something like a Force Dome. Or that force field that Greg has? 

So... Pandora now has every motivation to break immortal law, the penalty for breaking which is something she already planned to do centuries ago until putting it off for a reason now moot.

...good luck, Scarfy!

1 hour ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Until Monday, at least, I'm going to pretend that the BOOM is Susan's Stun Hammer hitting Scarfy before he can pull the trigger.

I'm hoping for exploding Fairy.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Of course, none of this will do any good if he's on target with that one shot. Unless what Raven is casting is something like a Force Dome. Or that force field that Greg has? 

Funny you should mention that, cus I had an alternate thought about what could save Adrian. Grace and her telekinesis.

I know, Grace is likely at work right now dealing with card tournament stuff with Justin, but we have been wondering where Helena and Demetrius have been right? Good chance they're looking for someone to fight the aberrations, do they know about Scarf wielding a gun? Maybe they went to get Grace cus they knew she could either block the bullets with her shield, or stop them like she did with the Goo's tendrils.

As for some who might question why Dan would bring Grace into this, well, why would he set her up for it and then not have it happen? ;)

How close is Salty Crackers to the mall?

Could there have been an earlier aberration related incident that would lead Grace and Justin into the fight?

Otherwise, unless they are driving the Bluesmobile, neither one of them is getting through the mall in time to participate in this melee.

12 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Really fun poem

... what poem? I don't see anything rhyming on the page.

12 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

As an added bonus, we have technology triumphing over magic, which is a theme I'm always a fan of.

I prefer triumph of combination, but generally I like when someone who ignores technology and only counts with magic learns how bad idea it was. Unfortunately this time it's the good guy and the learning experience might be fatal either for him or his mother.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It is possible that the protection spell he's using against the fire is not protecting his back.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yup, seems like prediction now ...

8 hours ago, WR...S said:

So... Pandora now has every motivation to break immortal law, the penalty for breaking which is something she already planned to do centuries ago until putting it off for a reason now moot.

...good luck, Scarfy!

But, remember if she does it it will kill her. Specifically, reset improperly.

5 hours ago, showler said:
7 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Until Monday, at least, I'm going to pretend that the BOOM is Susan's Stun Hammer hitting Scarfy before he can pull the trigger.

I'm hoping for exploding Fairy.

Would be nice, but I suspect Susan is still distracted by Koala vampire.

And Diane isn't likely to have anything capable of protecting against guns.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Funny you should mention that, cus I had an alternate thought about what could save Adrian. Grace and her telekinesis.

I know, Grace is likely at work right now dealing with card tournament stuff with Justin, but we have been wondering where Helena and Demetrius have been right? Good chance they're looking for someone to fight the aberrations, do they know about Scarf wielding a gun? Maybe they went to get Grace cus they knew she could either block the bullets with her shield, or stop them like she did with the Goo's tendrils.

As for some who might question why Dan would bring Grace into this, well, why would he set her up for it and then not have it happen?

While this may not be last encounter with vampires main eight has, yes, it might make sense for Grace to show up. And, in fact, her question might be directly related to Helena and Demetrius contacting her.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How close is Salty Crackers to the mall?

Could there have been an earlier aberration related incident that would lead Grace and Justin into the fight?

Otherwise, unless they are driving the Bluesmobile, neither one of them is getting through the mall in time to participate in this melee.

Grace can fly. Not as fast as Nanase, likely, but Nanase is presumably far away.

Also, Noah can fly ... but he likely can't stop bullet in other way than with his own body (but, unlike Diane doing that, Pandora might not save him).

1 hour ago, Illjwamh said:

Gotta admit, I did NOT see that coming. Nice one, Dan.

And he managed to hit Friday with it!

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Fancy magic...

Fire and noise...

All outdone...

By Humanity's toys.

I don't know if it's different with another accent, but in my accent, noise and toys rhyme.

Dan even called it a poem in the commentary.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm going to assume you're being facetious?

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I prefer triumph of combination, but generally I like when someone who ignores technology and only counts with magic learns how bad idea it was. Unfortunately this time it's the good guy and the learning experience might be fatal either for him or his mother.

As much as the good guy, it's the audience ourselves. I know I'm not the only one who was so focused on magic stuff that I completely forgot about such mundane things as guns.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And he managed to hit Friday with it!

Right?

13 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Fancy magic...

Fire and noise...

All outdone...

By Humanity's toys.

I don't know if it's different with another accent, but in my accent, noise and toys rhyme.

... well I'm not native speaker so recognizing rhymes is harder for me. It still doesn't seem like good poem to me but it's true noise and toys do rhyme in my accent too ...

(Also, it's funny he mentions "fire and noise" as related to magic then use weapon which makes lot of fire and noise.)

13 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Dan even called it a poem in the commentary.

I know.

13 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:
29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

As much as the good guy, it's the audience ourselves. I know I'm not the only one who was so focused on magic stuff that I completely forgot about such mundane things as guns.

We presumably survive and don't learn anything :)

In lot of shows, guns never appear despite the technology level implying they would be available. While guns already appeared in EGS, were mentioned and Adrian himself (!) even fired one, it's easy to forgot that EGS is not one of those shows, with magic being used much more often.

Well ... that Adrian firing was 2012, almost 6 years ago.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Grace can fly. Not as fast as Nanase, likely, but Nanase is presumably far away.

Are we sure Grace isn't as fast as Nanase? Apparently Grace seems faster than Cheerleadra since Grace was the first on scene when Not_Tengu fell, and I would figure that Cheerleadra would be faster than Nanase. Though I'm sure Nanase's Guardian Form is faster than both, but just normal flight might not be.

I'm going to hold on to hoping that either Scarf was shooting to incapacitate instead of kill, or Adrian's shield is full body to keep the fire completely off of him (espcially as the fire would be able to just flow around a normal-shaped shield).

So, yeah, if Pandora kills any of them, she'll be forced to reset, but if Adrian is killed by one of them, will she care?

Edit: Just a thought, but there's always the possibility that Pandora gets between scarf and Adrian; there's nothing in the rules against that as far as we know....

Wait, so if this is becoming THAT kind of comic, why stop at revolvers and hunting rifles? With the cast getting actively targeted by inhuman aberrations, and superior firepower being shown to beat magic any day, why doesn't Susan keep an arsenal of pistols, grenade launchers and full auto machine guns in her chest next to her swords, maybe loaded with extended clips of magical armor-piercing bullets? Heck, why don't aberrations just raze Mopersville to the ground with black market plastic explosives and thermite? Is there some sort of "MAD" agreement keeping the place from going full Dresden Files?

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Are we sure Grace isn't as fast as Nanase? Apparently Grace seems faster than Cheerleadra since Grace was the first on scene when Not_Tengu fell, and I would figure that Cheerleadra would be faster than Nanase. Though I'm sure Nanase's Guardian Form is faster than both, but just normal flight might not be.

... I see I forgot to mention that but yes I meant Nanase in guardian form.

35 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

Edit: Just a thought, but there's always the possibility that Pandora gets between scarf and Adrian; there's nothing in the rules against that as far as we know....

I suspect the bullet would pass through her unless she break the law, just like she passed through the table and just like Ashley could've passed through Voltaire ...

35 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

but if Adrian is killed by one of them, will she care?

What about Sarah and Tedd?

15 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

Wait, so if this is becoming THAT kind of comic, why stop at revolvers and hunting rifles? With the cast getting actively targeted by inhuman aberrations, and superior firepower being shown to beat magic any day, why doesn't Susan keep an arsenal of pistols, grenade launchers and full auto machine guns in her chest next to her swords, maybe loaded with extended clips of magical armor-piercing bullets?

Puting aside the question how could Susan obtain stuff like that legally, it is likely summoned pistol will not work correctly.

Also, the cast is not THAT much targeted. The vampires are here just because Sirleck paid them. Without that, it's unlikely some vampire would bother finding and killing Susan - unless they met randomly, of course.

AND it seems that scarf vampire is exception, with most vampires relying more on magic than technology ... no matter how stupid that may seem looking at this page.

16 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

Heck, why don't aberrations just raze Mopersville to the ground with black market plastic explosives and thermite? Is there some sort of "MAD" agreement keeping the place from going full Dresden Files?

For aberrations is presumably easier to obtain black market weapons than for Susan, but they are still unlikely to obtain enough explosives to level whole city. The mall, yes, but city? You would need nuclear weapons for that, and THOSE are quite well controlled.

(And it's possible DGB has someone who can "see" all nuclear weapons in whole city.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

AND it seems that scarf vampire is exception, with most vampires relying more on magic than technology ... no matter how stupid that may seem looking at this page.

Yeah, it's also possible that Scarf only recently became an aberration  (recently as in maybe the past decade?) and might have only done so for "immortality" aspect alone and doesn't care about magic other than for the fact that it keeps him alive. He does seem to be well versed in how it all works, at least well enough that he knows how to counter it.

1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

Wait, so if this is becoming THAT kind of comic, why stop at revolvers and hunting rifles? With the cast getting actively targeted by inhuman aberrations, and superior firepower being shown to beat magic any day, why doesn't Susan keep an arsenal of pistols, grenade launchers and full auto machine guns in her chest next to her swords, maybe loaded with extended clips of magical armor-piercing bullets? Heck, why don't aberrations just raze Mopersville to the ground with black market plastic explosives and thermite? Is there some sort of "MAD" agreement keeping the place from going full Dresden Files?

First of all, I don't think it's a matter of conventional weapons always beating magic, so much as they're equally effective in the hands of a skilled or lucky user.

As far as Susan goes, she's never been hunted before, so everything in her chest was just a precaution. She probably never saw the need to have a gun before. Also, a lot of people are uncomfortable about owning guns or having them around; Susan may not want a gun, or she may know that she'll get in a lot of trouble if her mother realizes she has one.

Finally, why would Aberrations want to raze Moperville to the ground? This particular group are hired assassins, and their contract encouraged them to limit how many people they killed besides the target. And Moperville isn't exactly the only place where Hunters and other magic users live, so it's not like they could kill off all their enemies by blowing up Moperville.