• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday January 8, 2018

3 hours ago, Stature said:

It sounded like the "Kid" has a lazy attribute when it comes to rolling.

It's more likely due to size. My six-year-old niece can hardly keep up with me either and that's certainly ~not~ because of a lack of energy on her side.

2 hours ago, detrius said:

It's more likely due to size. My six-year-old niece can hardly keep up with me either and that's certainly ~not~ because of a lack of energy on her side.

Considering the way Susan's piece is moving, maybe not lack of energy, but lack of motivation.

Not really getting what's going on in the last panel, the outfit is sexy, but not any worse than the default outfit they started with and certainly covers more than the bikini she had with the furry form. Susan's blushing which means she's embarrassed by it in some way. But have no clue why she'd yell Jail at Hanma.

Ok just saw that Dan said on Twitter that Susan was really hopeful for a normal police outfit after Catalina got normal scrubs, and was basically caught off guard by this, if Catalina hadn't gotten the scrubs outfit, Susan would have been more likely to roll her eyes at yet another fanservice outfit.

Still not sure about the Jail part though.

If Susan was still in Kid form, I'd think the "Jail" referred to "jailbait". As she seems to have regained her normal age, though, the only thing I can think of is maybe the Police card has mental effects, including throwing references to law enforcement into your speech. (Or Susan could just be joking around, but it doesn't look like she would be in the mood for that.)

I've had a hard time correctly predicting Dan recently, but I'll try again anyway. I think the reason Police canceled out Kid is because it's specifically a sexy police costume, and rather than have the costume be modified for Kid, Hanma just had the costume override Kid. Seeing as Susan didn't know it was a sexy outfit, though, I don't know why Susan would have expected Police to replace Kid. (She could have simply forgotten the rules, but then it's quite a coincidence that it actually worked out.)

I'm also still hoping for an explanation for why Hanma made almost all the outfits so far sexy, but not Nurse.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ok just saw that Dan said on Twitter that Susan was really hopeful for a normal police outfit after Catalina got normal scrubs, and was basically caught off guard by this, if Catalina hadn't gotten the scrubs outfit, Susan would have been more likely to roll her eyes at yet another fanservice outfit.

New tweet from Dan says that Susan saying Jail is because she's in a cop outfit. Nothing else special about it I guess.

13 hours ago, Stature said:

Clothing has lipstick why?

That or bunnie :)

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Scotty said:

New tweet from Dan says that Susan saying Jail is because she's in a cop outfit. Nothing else special about it I guess.

Still seems weird. BTW it's now directly in comics commentary as well.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I've had a hard time correctly predicting Dan recently, but I'll try again anyway. I think the reason Police canceled out Kid is because it's specifically a sexy police costume, and rather than have the costume be modified for Kid, Hanma just had the costume override Kid.

By rules, she shouldn't be able to replace kid without playing some physical card. Dan said that he will address it, so hopefully he will in way it would make sense ... but note that this is SECOND mistake he found. Must've really be late in night when he was playtesting it.

So either a kid is a ball of sunshine, or a corgi. Go figure. :demonicduck:

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Must've really been late in night when he was playtesting it.

It was, it was.

Comparing the two versions of the comic, I think I prefer the first. I figured out everything in the first panel on my own, so seeing it all be spelled out in such a wordy fashion reminds me of those poorly done Anime dubs that feel the need to constantly explain the obvious, as well as fill up any silent moments with talking.

The shadows to emphasize Susan's figure are probably necessary, as having people think Susan is still a kid is really not good under the circumstances, but I do mourn the loss of "realism".

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

By rules, she shouldn't be able to replace kid without playing some physical card. Dan said that he will address it, so hopefully he will in way it would make sense ... but note that this is SECOND mistake he found. Must've really be late in night when he was playtesting it.

I really hope that if Dan does another Goonmanji, he goes over the play-through details thoroughly looking for errors before he starts writing. While Dan has been able to write around them so far, I worry that Dan might run into a error that's not so easy to write around. Also, back when he moved Ashley's piece the wrong number of spaces, Ashley's justifications for her choices didn't feel as natural in the revised version as the original, so even if Dan does come up with a last-minute solution, it's not necessarily going to be as good as if he had discovered the mistake early enough to replay the affected sections (or at least take his time thinking of a fix).

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change what cards were played or what transformations happened within his script when he discovers a bug like this.  Seems to be a point of pride for Dan to stick exactly to what happened in the playtesting, no matter what.

15 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I really hope that if Dan does another Goonmanji, he goes over the play-through details thoroughly looking for errors before he starts writing. While Dan has been able to write around them so far, I worry that Dan might run into a error that's not so easy to write around. Also, back when he moved Ashley's piece the wrong number of spaces, Ashley's justifications for her choices didn't feel as natural in the revised version as the original, so even if Dan does come up with a last-minute solution, it's not necessarily going to be as good as if he had discovered the mistake early enough to replay the affected sections (or at least take his time thinking of a fix).

Considering how many ideas for NP Dan has, I don't think another Goonmanji would happen anytime soon ... but yes I would hope he will be more careful too.

10 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change what cards were played or what transformations happened within his script when he discovers a bug like this.  Seems to be a point of pride for Dan to stick exactly to what happened in the playtesting, no matter what.

Question is how much would he need to change? Some changes would force other changes later ... like, she couldn't just not undo the kid as that would change her movement next turn, she can't play another card if she would need it later ...

... however in this case I suspect the basic problem is he already had the comics done when he noticed the problem and didn't wanted to redraw it.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When you make a mistake and you don't think anyone else will notice, tell them you made a mistake.

If you try to act like no mistake was made, someone will eventually notice.

The problems caused by mistake being noticed are never as bad as the problems caused by your attempts to cover the mistake.

The problems caused by mistake being noticed are never as bad as the problems caused by your attempts to cover the mistake.

The "Streisand effect" in motion. Then again, DGB is better and luckier in cover-ups.

11 hours ago, Stature said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The "Streisand effect" in motion. Then again, DGB is better and luckier in cover-ups.

... I don't think DGB's ability to cover ups things can be applied to EGS:NP strips posted by Dan in our universe.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... I don't think DGB's ability to cover ups things can be applied to EGS:NP strips posted by Dan in our universe

Which is why Dan needs to reveal exactly what happened when mistakes are made in development.
It will be much worse for Dan, and everyone else making millions off the play and production of Goonmanji, if the dirty little secrets come to light later rather than sooner.

But would it make any difference to anyone if, instead of saying "this is wrong but I'm leaving it this way," Dan had said, "This originally ran one way, but then I realized that was wrong so I changed this detail."  Since we don't know what cards anyone has in their hands, he could have changed what cards were played to a one and another one, instead of a two and a one.  I wouldn't have minded it any more (or less).

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

But would it make any difference to anyone if, instead of saying "this is wrong but I'm leaving it this way," Dan had said, "This originally ran one way, but then I realized that was wrong so I changed this detail."  Since we don't know what cards anyone has in their hands, he could have changed what cards were played to a one and another one, instead of a two and a one.  I wouldn't have minded it any more (or less).

Dan doesn't want to do the playtest again and finding change which would have same effect on rest of game won't be easy and may not be possible.

Dan doesn't want to do the playtest again and finding change which would have same effect on rest of game won't be easy and may not be possible.

Unless this series is going to go on way, way too long, I don't expect they'll get through all of the cards.  He's looking back at the game after it's finished, so he should be able to see what cards weren't used and substitute one for another.  From what we've seen so far, it seems unlikely every effect that the cards applied will affect the game's outcome, so whichever was irrelevant could be dropped.  That's the most likely option I can see, but there could be others.  Anything that would make the first less feasible would open up other opportunities.