• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday January 10, 2018

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Wait, Diane is the great-great-whatever aunt of Susan!?

The exact term depends on exactly how many generations are between Susan and Adrian.

If Susan is Adrian's daughter, she is Diane's sister (or half-sister). 

If S is A's Granddaughter, she is D's Niece.  (Although if S was A's Daughter or Granddaughter, Pandora probably would have said so plainly.)

If S is A's Great Granddaughter, she is D's Grandniece.

If S is A's n (if n is > 1) Great Granddaughter, she is D's n-1 Great Grandniece.
______

So how closely is Susan's cheating father related to Adrian?

And is there a chance Amanda got pregnant from her involvement with Adrian?

Ok that was unexpected, that means Adrian was with someone back when he was still good friends with Edward and Noriko, but Noriko would have been several months pregnant with Tedd when Diane was conceived so that immediately rules her out as being Diane's biological mother. I honestly don't think Dan's ever hinted at who Diane's biological mother could be so it's likely we've never seen her.

So I wonder how this is going to affect Noah, who recently attempted to get up the courage to ask Adrian if it'd be ok to call him Dad? Finding out that Adrian can and has had children and that Diane is his daughter might make Noah think that Adrian will end up giving Diane more attention and think less of him as family? I doubt that would actually be the case but considering what Noah was thinking at the time...

The again, there is some hope that things will work out with evidence in the Sketchbook section:

1414767876-075_Noah_Diane.png

Now on to Pandora, she's stated that she's already sorted out what she wants to pass on to her next self, so maybe she's still hoping to make the Refresh work, maybe use the power sent by the other Immortals to her advantage? Maybe we can have a happy return of Pandora in the future.

Oh, I can see those two figuring out the great-n-aunt thing pretty quickly.  And then one of them telling the other to never call her that again.  But I think it would be with humor, not with anger.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So I wonder how this is going to affect Noah, who recently attempted to get up the courage to ask Adrian if it'd be ok to call him Dad? Finding out that Adrian can and has had children and that Diane is his daughter might make Noah think that Adrian will end up giving Diane more attention and think less of him as family? I doubt that would actually be the case but considering what Noah was thinking at the time...

I half expect Pandora to also say Noah is a descendant, but no one suspected a relation since he was male and thus looks less like Susan and Diane despite Magic trying it's darndest, hence why he looks like a girl.

I just realized, Diane being Adrian's daughter (and therefore 1/4 Immortal) would mean her magic potential should be higher than Susan's.

Just now, partner555 said:

I half expect Pandora to also say Noah is a descendant, but no one suspected a relation since he was male and thus looks less like Susan and Diane despite Magic trying it's darndest, hence why he looks like a girl.

Noah and Diane do look similar, what with the blonde hair and how Noah's bangs are long, but not quite as long as Diane's. Maybe Noah's father crossed paths with Adrian at one point and snagged a DNA sample from him? That would end up making Noah a half brother to Diane in a roundabout way, but it might also explain how Noah was able to learn magic, but it would make a MelissaxNoahxDiane ship rather awkward.

Why didn't it dawn on me, like months ago, that the Diane, who might as well be an orphan girl, could be a closer descendent of Adrian than Susan is.

Also, I called it, big epic battle, resulting in the good guys winning at the tragic cost of Pandora.  All the feels.

So, Pandora has taken steps to try to Refresh, and she believes they can work even with a forced reset. I was hoping that would be the case, but I wasn't sure. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I saw Susan being a "distant descendant" a long ways back, but I expected Diane to to be one as well. I guess Raven still has sexual relations these days (or a couple of decades ago, which to someone his age might as well be "these days").

I wonder, was he married? Not that I personally think it wrong for people to have sex without being married, but it would still give us some interesting insight into his character to know his views on the matter.

...Would it ruin the somber tone if I cheered for the starburst background? Maybe if I do it as quietly as possible... Yay for starburst background in panel eight!

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The exact term depends on exactly how many generations are between Susan and Adrian.

If Susan is Adrian's daughter, she is Diane's sister (or half-sister). 

If S is A's Granddaughter, she is D's Niece.  (Although if S was A's Daughter or Granddaughter, Pandora probably would have said so plainly.)

Pandora called Susan Adrian's "distant descendant" which rules out daughter, and in my opinion granddaughter and probably anything without more than a couple "greats" in it.

Oh thank goodness for forced resets not being quick and automatic.  I had worried Pandora wouldn't have time to say certain important things.  Hopefully she can also let Adrian know to watch out for Tedd since he IS a wizard.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I just realized, Diane being Adrian's daughter (and therefore 1/4 Immortal) would mean her magic potential should be higher than Susan's.

Possibly, though heredity and magic are not always as straightforward as one would hope.  ;)

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Now on to Pandora, she's stated that she's already sorted out what she wants to pass on to her next self, so maybe she's still hoping to make the Refresh work, maybe use the power sent by the other Immortals to her advantage? Maybe we can have a happy return of Pandora in the future.

Here's hoping.  If she went in to this battle, already predicting she was likely to intervene and be forced to reset, then she was also preparing to make it a Refresh if at all possible.  Who knows, perhaps receiving all of the power is the actual correct way to power a Refresh, and Immortals are actually supposed to help each other with it.

23 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I saw Susan being a "distant descendant" a long ways back, but I expected Diane to to be one as well. I guess Raven still has sexual relations these days (or a couple of decades ago, which to someone his age might as well be "these days").

Yeah I assumed both as well, and the idea of Susan's dad being Diane's was very plausible considering that's what Dan was leading us to believe with the "cheating cheater who cheats" bit, that should be a bit of a relief to Susan as she didn't want to think her dad was always unfaithful. Still it does leave the question of where her dad is and how she will handle things if she ever met him again.

29 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I wonder, was he married? Not that I personally think it wrong for people to have sex without being married, but it would still give us some interesting insight into his character to know his views on the matter.

If he was ever married, the marriage presumably didn't last long if he was insistent that any pregnancy his wife had wasn't by him. I imagine Adrian's going to have a lot of remorse over this development, "I kicked her out of my life over this and I was the one who was wrong!"

How many women would he have done this to? He's live in Germany, France, the US,  England.... Nanase's family has French connections, heck Edward Verres might also have French ancestry, Elliot's family (Dunkel) is German, Sarah Brown might be English ancestry. There'd been several generations between them so I doubt Ellen and Nanase would feel obligated to break up over this but still there's potential for a huge family reunion of sorts here.

In European culture until fairly recently, both infidelity and infertility were grounds for a man to divorce his wife (and of course it was always the wife who was infertile and the man who sought divorce, since there were few honorable ways for an unmarried woman to support herself at all - let alone in prosperity).

Adrian knew* he was infertile. In that culture I doubt he would have married without telling his wife in advance, and often there would be an explicit agreement that his wife would be very discreetly "unfaithful" and provide an heir. Other than the occasional marriage... he couldn't join any military, so would be hard-pressed to have become a nobleman, but he also doesn't seem the sort to be content as a medieval peasant farm-worker half a step above slavery. So I see him as a wanderer... since he knew there was no risk of him leaving a lady pregnant, there was no need to stay around and see if she was pregnant.

* He was misinformed - but his behavior would be affected by what he believed to be true, not by what was true.

...... I'm not sure how to feel about this. Part of me is swearing (mainly from Pandora's forced reset), and the rest is ROFLMAO(ing). 

I do have to wonder if she's going to have time to mention Tedd is a Wizard, and her project(s) with Sarah, but those might be furthest from her mind at the moment. I can see things being awkward for Adrian and Diane at school, though, so thank goodness she's a senior? Also, thank goodness they all have the weekend to process this!

Wait... Didn't Diane once express the idea of Adiran being her father as gross? Or am I misremembering something...?

Yeesh. Fourteen years of NC, barely one year of contact, and then you basically loose your mother forever. :( At least she was closer to being 'herself' then she was when he was in the hospital? 

Here's a thought no one seems to have put down yet: Could it be that Diane isn't adopted? That actually happens in the real world. For instance, Loretta Young made a movie with Clark Gable back in the day, and shortly after shooting finished, disappeared for awhile. Around a year later, she "adopted" a little girl. A little girl who grew up to look an awful lot like Clark Gable.

The fly in the ointment here is Rhea, since she's older, but she may be only a year older, and even if she were two or even three years older, she probably wouldn't remember that far back. Plus, we don't really know about Diane's adoptive parents. Or parent; Rhea and Diane might have been raised by a single mom. Or, maybe Diane's mother married Rhea's father and they adopted each other's kids, something else that happens sometimes in the real world. Or married Rhea's mother, when it became legal in Illinois, assuming that happened in the Moperverse.

Being raised by one white and one African-American parent would certainly encourage Diane's late understanding of how ethnicity works.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I was just about to post something to that effect myself, actually.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Here's a thought no one seems to have put down yet: Could it be that Diane isn't adopted? That actually happens in the real world. For instance, Loretta Young made a movie with Clark Gable back in the day, and shortly after shooting finished, disappeared for awhile. Around a year later, she "adopted" a little girl. A little girl who grew up to look an awful lot like Clark Gable.

The fly in the ointment here is Rhea, since she's older, but she may be only a year older, and even if she were two or even three years older, she probably wouldn't remember that far back. Plus, we don't really know about Diane's adoptive parents. Or parent; Rhea and Diane might have been raised by a single mom. Or, maybe Diane's mother married Rhea's father and they adopted each other's kids, something else that happens sometimes in the real world. Or married Rhea's mother, when it became legal in Illinois, assuming that happened in the Moperverse.

Being raised by one white and one African-American parent would certainly encourage Diane's late understanding of how ethnicity works.

It's still possible for Diane to have been adopted, maybe her mother fell ill during pregnancy  and died during childbirth, or maybe she just fell on hard times, lost job, family member becoming ill, whatever and she just couldn't afford to take care of a baby.

As Don Edwards stated, if Adrian was a wanderer and never settled down anywhere until recently, he could have had a number of one night "companions" throughout the centuries and never saw the women pregnant. I still wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two that he did try to settle down with though.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's still possible for Diane to have been adopted

I don't mean I'm sure she isn't adopted, I was just floating an interesting possibility. And for an awkward reunion between Diane's mother and Raven. And much hijinks in trying to avoid this reunion. And complications between her mother and her partner, if her mother has a partner.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

As Don Edwards stated, if Adrian was a wanderer and never settled down anywhere until recently, he could have had a number of one night "companions" throughout the centuries and never saw the women pregnant. I still wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two that he did try to settle down with though

If Raven tried to settle down, I'm guessing that all his partners:

• Were barren, or
  • Left him before he found out they were pregnant, or
  • He was away during their pregnancy, and they said the child was a foundling or an orphan she took in, or
  • They told him the child must be from a lover from just before they committed to Raven, or
  • Raven assumed they had cheated on him and he left them.

In that last case, I think Raven would avoid committing after that.

It's hard to read Raven. He seems very controlled, but he thinks he went too far in inspiring Noriko to commit to using her power for the greatest good. And if he can get so worked up after centuries of experience, maybe he's really a very passionate person disguised by a crafted persona of a person very much under control.

And then, of course, there was Grace's first day of School.