• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story: Friday 12 Jan 2018

Should have known. When it comes to the Gooniverse, anything that has to do with magic and the supernatural has a lot of possibilities and implications.

1 hour ago, Entropy said:

I'm more interested in what she is doing with the connection... Just hope that is not exactly what Voltaire wanted to happen...

Plan CM? I hope that is way long gone. Griffin gone.

1 hour ago, Entropy said:

I'm more interested in what she is doing with the connection... Just hope that is not exactly what Voltaire wanted to happen...

Personal theory is she's using her power and the connection to hijack the Reset process in order to actually remain herself through the change.  

It'd be less of a Reset and more of, I dunno....  Oooh, we can use the word Regeneration, I bet!  

Say, is that a demonic duck in a funny blue box over there?

Just realised, has anyone considered the fallout from this? Multiple monsters, two Immortals appearing out of nowhere and giving very important details on Immortals and Elves, and then there's how this affects Susan and Diane at school.

2 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Just realised, has anyone considered the fallout from this? Multiple monsters, two Immortals appearing out of nowhere and giving very important details on Immortals and Elves, and then there's how this affects Susan and Diane at school.

Dan hasn't done much with the witnesses so far. There's no indication any bystander has taken notice of Zeus, and no remarks from the three people who saw Pandora appear floating in air.  And no Carol Brown. Isn't it funny that there's no Carol Brown? Maybe that will change soon.

Keep in mind that Diane isn't famous like Susan, and Susan turned blond while she was fighting the vampires. People who don't really know her well may not recognize her. And Pandora wasn't floating high in the atrium like Voltaire.

Plus, the vampires didn't last very long at all.

If Dan doesn't want this incident to get big publicity, so far he's set up things so there might not be. Which would mean Magic wouldn't have an excuse to change...yet.

Say, anyone remember Pandora telling her son exactly how he's supposed to remove the magical energy dam she set up?

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

So, is everyone with that affinity Raven's descendant?

Reminds me of the 80s as the premier of TNG approached.  Some of us were speculating that everyone on the new Enterprise would be there because they were descendants of James T Kirk.

And Zeus, I realize that your reset was less than a year ago, but are you really surprised that Pandora knew what would be coming and is using this forced reset to do something else that is in opposition to Immortal law?

I think the connection Zeus mentioned is the connection between the two halves of the EGS-universe, the dam she set up. She couldn't remove the dam herself, because that would be depowering Moperville, but since she's breaking laws anyway...

4 hours ago, partner555 said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2446

So, is everyone with that affinity Raven's descendant?

Probably not, there could be other Immortals that can pass on that affinity, I think if Pandora was related to Tedd and Nanase because Noriko was a monster hunter, she would have mentioned that as well. Though summoning the bane would be a spell Noriko learned from Adrian? But what's odd is we haven't seen Adrian summon the bane, he borrowed Susan's, so what gives Adrian?!?!

2 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Personal theory is she's using her power and the connection to hijack the Reset process in order to actually remain herself through the change.  

It'd be less of a Reset and more of, I dunno....  Oooh, we can use the word Regeneration, I bet!  

That's what I was thinking as well, trying to used the power the other's are sending to facilitate a refresh. Someone on Discord stated that it was an exploit which makes sense considering Zeus says "she's breaking Immortal law again?"

36 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I think the connection Zeus mentioned is the connection between the two halves of the EGS-universe, the dam she set up. She couldn't remove the dam herself, because that would be depowering Moperville, but since she's breaking laws anyway...

This could very well be likely also now that you mention it, Adrian was supposed to be taking out the clog later, but Pandora might have decided to just do it herself since she's already broken Immortal law and being reset. Maybe the lights in the sky that Sirleck saw were from the clog being removed?

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Probably not, there could be other Immortals that can pass on that affinity, I think if Pandora was related to Tedd and Nanase because Noriko was a monster hunter, she would have mentioned that as well. Though summoning the bane would be a spell Noriko learned from Adrian? But what's odd is we haven't seen Adrian summon the bane, he borrowed Susan's, so what gives Adrian?!?!

Immortals don't seem to have affinities. Maybe it only appears in quarter-Immortals onwards?

Also, I imagine Adrian needs all the hugs right now.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But what's odd is we haven't seen Adrian summon the bane, he borrowed Susan's, so what gives Adrian?!?!

Maybe he doesn't have a spell to summon magical weapons, but instead has a spell to infuse a physical weapon with the bane. Would, theoretically, take less energy (meaning he could fight for longer) and the weapon would be more durable. Unfortunately, it means he needs a weapon in the first place, which he doesn't have here at the mall.

Poor Adrian.  He's lived such along time, and his mother was the one constant, the one person who's been there the whole time.  Even when they weren't seeing each other, he knew she was out there.  He may even have wanted her to reset, although he never said anything to imply it.  And now, she's gone, and she's likely told him all about resets and that she'll basically forget him, that his mother will be gone if she resets.  He's an orphan now.

Which is basically what happens to every child who outlives their parents.  Even if they're eighty and their parent was a hundred.  Does multiplying those numbers by ten or twenty make any real difference?

2 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

In case anyone wasn't sure, this song is posted in all seriousness, rather than to be funny. I'm actually rather choked up over here.

I hear you.  A little misty-eyed myself right now.  I am old enough now that I am dealing with aging parents, so yeah, good song choice, buddy.

3 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

That was my hope as well; Pandora herself had theorized a Refresh was possible, maintaining your Self, but she didn't mention using the power from other Immortals being used to do that.  Oddly enough, hijacking the energy does seem to be a thing you can do since Zeus mentioned what she was doing as being against Immortal law.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan hasn't done much with the witnesses so far. There's no indication any bystander has taken notice of Zeus, and no remarks from the three people who saw Pandora appear floating in air.  And no Carol Brown. Isn't it funny that there's no Carol Brown? Maybe that will change soon.

Keep in mind that Diane isn't famous like Susan, and Susan turned blond while she was fighting the vampires. People who don't really know her well may not recognize her. And Pandora wasn't floating high in the atrium like Voltaire.

Plus, the vampires didn't last very long at all.

If Dan doesn't want this incident to get big publicity, so far he's set up things so there might not be. Which would mean Magic wouldn't have an excuse to change...yet.

Say, anyone remember Pandora telling her son exactly how he's supposed to remove the magical energy dam she set up?

Well, I think for this part of the battle, most people have fled, or at least moved away  from the combatants?   Still, there were aberrations in monster form tearing up the mall.  That seems pretty big.  I think Voltaire's Magic Operating System Redo is coming.  Perhaps something Magus and Sirleck do will finish the job.

Also, with what Pandora did as well, I think if magic resets, and the council of Immortals convene to consider changing the rules, they may very well be disposed to hearing Voltaire out.  Scary.

Ooh, pretty lights. Say, is Pandora creating a sunburst in the final panel? Hmm, maybe not, since it doesn't have an inner disk. At any rate I probably shouldn't cheer for it given the circumstances...

6 hours ago, Entropy said:

Same here. Narrative conventions would suggest Voltaire's plans can't fail at least until we know what they are, but it would make Pandora's sacrifice a lot more painful to me if we get Voltaire going "all according to plan" afterward.

4 hours ago, Stature said:

Plan CM? I hope that is way long gone. Griffin gone.

Plan CM was still in effect well into Sister III. In fact "Friday Night" (the present in-comic) would seem to be the climax of plan CM.

4 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Pandora called it a Refresh. And she was planning on doing it even before she knew she'd need to break Immortal Law, so while she's definitely attempting one, I doubt that's what she's doing with the connection.

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Maybe he doesn't have a spell to summon magical weapons, but instead has a spell to infuse a physical weapon with the bane. Would, theoretically, take less energy (meaning he could fight for longer) and the weapon would be more durable. Unfortunately, it means he needs a weapon in the first place, which he doesn't have here at the mall.

If he could do that, his sword cane probably has that enchantment.

47 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Well, I think for this part of the battle, most people have fled, or at least moved away  from the combatants?   Still, there were aberrations in monster form tearing up the mall. 

But where's the evidence? All the vampires are piles of ash, and as far as we know, they didn't actually attack anyone else or even do any damage. And no witnesses to the actual killing were shown other than Susan, Diane, Zeus, Raven, and Pandora. The girl who was fleeing from Flying Furry Snake With a Bow Tie wasn't looking at it in the one panel she was shown in, and that wasn't the panels where Susan killed it. Pandora isn't going to be available for questioning; Raven can go back to looking like an old man; Diane didn't do anything magical.

No, what happened at the mall this time isn't very likely to be the incident Arthur Arthur is hoping for. Not yet, at least.

57 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Also, with what Pandora did as well, I think if magic resets, and the council of Immortals convene to consider changing the rules, they may very well be disposed to hearing Voltaire out.  Scary.

A council of Immortals? Where is that in canon? If Pandora knows that Voltaire was behind the attack, and she surely must have put a great deal of effort into finding out who tried to kill Elliot, Voltaire could be the one last thing Pandora did. Or maybe she already did it.

To paraphrase Stalin, with Voltaire, you have problems. No Voltaire, no problem.

There isn't a council of immortals in canon to date, but it's understood that immortal law was agreed to by immortals. Presumably with some discussion beforehand. So presumably they could gather together again and discuss changes to it.

4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

There isn't a council of immortals in canon to date, but it's understood that immortal law was agreed to by immortals. Presumably with some discussion beforehand. So presumably they could gather together again and discuss changes to it.

Perhaps you are assuming too much. There are other immortal beings besides the Immortals (formerly known as Fairies), including Heka. The fact that Pandora showed great respect (for Pandora) to Heka kind of indicates that's she thought he was powerful enough to be a threat. I think it more likely that Heka or a group of non-Immortals of immense powers imposed the rules on the Immortals, or at least nagged them into what may be the only agreement they ever reached.

And maybe the Will of Magic is the power that got the Immortals to make their laws.

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps you are assuming too much.

A common hobby here, it seems.

There are other immortal beings besides the Immortals (formerly known as Fairies), including Heka. The fact that Pandora showed great respect (for Pandora) to Heka kind of indicates that's she thought he was powerful enough to be a threat.

Do you only show respect to people who you see as a threat to you?  Or do you show respect to everyone unless they act in a way to lose that privilege?  I would expect good relations between immortals unless there is good reason not.  After all, they're going to be dealing with each other forever, it's in their best interests to get along.  Plus, you know, being a decent person.

I think it more likely that Heka or a group of non-Immortals of immense powers imposed the rules on the Immortals, or at least nagged them into what may be the only agreement they ever reached.

I don't like that idea.  I'd much rather see people agree to be civil than be threatened into it.  It's the difference between democracy and dictatorship.  Dan seems to have a relatively positive world view, to see individuals as real peple with reasons for acting the way they do, and often comments on how many problems are avoided if people just talk to one another.  I suspect this is another case of fearing  the worst and finding out other people are much better than feared.

When Ellen was created, everyone was afraid she'd be locked up.  Instead, DGB helped create a new identity and even gave money to cover the added cost of a second child.  When Grace met Jerry, she was ready for a fight, and Jerry was a nice person who helped them out.  It's not as scary a world as we fear it is.

8 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't like that idea.  I'd much rather see people agree to be civil than be threatened into it.  It's the difference between democracy and dictatorship.

The way Pandora explained it to herself is that the more powerful and more intelligent she becomes, the less empathy she has. She could be wrong about that, but of the five Immortals we've seen, four have done very bad things.

• Pandora was very mean to Magus, and tried to get Edward to commit murder.
  • Helen and Demetrius guided and empowered Nanase and Susan into fighting a vampire when they were too young and there were better alternatives, and they also attacked Magus.
  • Voltaire--do I really have to tell you anything more?

Dan has put more dark stuff in EGS than you think. Re-read Painted Black and tell me it's all a fairy tale, and I don't mean the Disney version. He's lightened up since then, but despite all the laughs, this is the darkest story arc since Damien blew himself up.

I see two options:

1) The connection of the forced reset

2) The bloodline connection.

If it's 1, then I hope she's stomping lots of other immortals in some way, based on how lots of them do terrible stuff. Maybe she's one-shotting Voltaire, please?

If it's 2, then maybe she's emitting a vampire-killing wave, hence the bullet for Sirleck to have dodged?